Sprint to Shut Down Wimax by End of 2015 (Was Wimax network shut-off date?)

linhpham2

• 4 weeks later...

This is not an argument for or against... just a side note.

I typically use between 80 and 130GB per month on my home internet connection. Most of that is streaming Netflix and Hulu, but also weather data streams that I need as well as some gaming. For all those things, I need a low ping for things to work well. I'm also a bit of a video snob, I need my video in full HD, or I don't watch it. That requires more than 3-6Mbps. 

For these things to work well, I could not rely on a mobile connection, I need a wired connection, so a Clear/Sprint TD-LTE connection would not be for me, and anyone else like me. I'm not sure if home usage like that is sustainable on a mobile network either.

However, I'm sure it would work for some people. But if it's marketed publicly, you'll get people like me on it, and that could ruin it for everyone. 

Wow thats it???  Holy crap in the summer time when the kids are home, and my boy has LAN partys, and the xboxes going, and the girls watching netflix etc. etc....we hit the 300GB club, with comcast....which is why i continue to pay a pretty penny for it...though wish it would be a bit less expensive....

anyway, i need to find something to replace the internet for my mom....she switched to clear, and now when it goes...well... i just dont know...

freaking century link still only has a 768kp to her house....and comcast is to spendy for what her needs are....and the other wireless ones, need line of sight, and there are to many trees around

Wow thats it???  Holy crap in the summer time when the kids are home, and my boy has LAN partys, and the xboxes going, and the girls watching netflix etc. etc....we hit the 300GB club, with comcast....which is why i continue to pay a pretty penny for it...though wish it would be a bit less expensive....

Just me... I has gone up a little since my brother has been spending time at my house. Plays games til sunrise on the weekends lol.

I would not be able to work from home if Clear would be gone tomorrow and I hope Sprint will keep them on air beyond 2015. I wish cable or telco would be able to provide Internet in useable speeds or actually provide broadband speeds but we are out of luck in the sticks.

I would not be able to work from home if Clear would be gone tomorrow and I hope Sprint will keep them on air beyond 2015. I wish cable or telco would be able to provide Internet in useable speeds or actually provide broadband speeds but we are out of luck in the sticks.

Have you tried satellite? Not the best but it is an alternative. There is no point in complaining about something you have no control over. It might actually be better for you to have a dedicated line even if it isn't at home.

Have you tried satellite? Not the best but it is an alternative. There is no point in complaining about something you have no control over. It might actually be better for you to have a dedicated line even if it isn't at home.

There is currently no other company that provides Internet at speeds usable for the work applications. Satellite is good if you push files at night but who likes to stay up at night just to upload your work projects. Let's see what happens in the future.

There is currently no other company that provides Internet at speeds usable for the work applications. Satellite is good if you push files at night but who likes to stay up at night just to upload your work projects. Let's see what happens in the future.

How big are these project files?

digis.net offers speeds up to 15Mbps. They offer service in Vegas thanks to their purchase of KeyOn Communications. It's a decent price, and they allow unlimited data.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

How big are these project files?

Each file is about 2.5-4GB and I have several each day to review and work on.

digis.net offers speeds up to 15Mbps. They offer service in Vegas thanks to their purchase of KeyOn Communications. It's a decent price, and they allow unlimited data.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Trust me, I looked and currently Clear is the best option. Allthought I still have Verizon's Grandfathered LTE on two devices and I am trying to load balance the usage. Still the kids have their own Clearmodem and they use it for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and that eats up GB's too.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure you can all rest easy for quite some time with WiMax, especially if you are in Major Market like myself that has deployed Dual WiMax/LTE radios, I have seen my new WiMax BSID towers in the GNSCAN and see that all the towers by my house have been converted to DUAL RRU which is a great thing, Take a look at your BSID now if you are in a smaller market and write it down. The key change that is constant with these new radio for my area so far is that they all begin with the same prefix 00:00:26:33:XX:XX . Previous to the change the radios last 3 set would different from each tower.

Remember WiMax is heavily deployed through out the United States and with http://mobilecitizen.org/ still selling equipment and has a 30 year license agreement / hold on EBS plus over 10 Million (probably more) active MAC address on WiMax and that SPRINT is still activating/selling and setting up new service on WiMax is a sure indication that Sprint is in no rush to close the WiMax network.

I got 60 lines of service so I am hoping that delay last for a very long time .. lol

I know some of you WiMax lovers who wanted to continue your cheap data binge over onto LTE have been holding out hope. Well, Sprint has announced a B41 LTE router for business customers:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprints-first-router-to-bring-sprint-spark-to-business-customers-netgear-lte-gateway-6100d.htm?view_id=8028

But, as expected, it is not unlimited. You will have to buy a data tier for it. No LTE smörgåsbord for you. Sprint will only be continuing unlimited for smartphone use into the future. All others will be on data tiers as the burden to the network is too great for unlimited hotspot/business/home usage.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

The continuation of keeping wimax carrier online for select people is not efficient , when it would be added as another carrier for b41. Honestly there is an alternative to not having access to open DSL/ Cable internet. It is called satellite, and yes its not unlimited but it is an alternative for people so don't say Wimax is your only option. And to those who say its really slow, I have seen options for speeds just as fast, if not faster than Wimax. So file transfers are not too big of a deal, just need a little patience for the latency

But, as expected, it is not unlimited. You will have to buy a data tier for it. No LTE smörgåsbord for you. Sprint will only be continuing unlimited for smartphone use into the future. All others will be on data tiers as the burden to the network is too great for unlimited hotspot/business/home usage.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

So Robert what you're saying is we have to tether our phones to get unlimited LTE for our home devices right? (I'm kidding)

But seriously I doubt the burden from high speed unlimited LTE would be high if they did it right. If almost each cell tower in a city connected to fiber there would hardly be any burden on the backhaul. Not an expert and don't know if that's the way it's done now in some cities but is that possible and am I correct that it would't be a burden?

So Robert what you're saying is we have to tether our phones to get unlimited LTE for our home devices right? (I'm kidding)

But seriously I doubt the burden from high speed unlimited LTE would be high if they did it right. If almost each cell tower in a city connected to fiber there would hardly be any burden on the backhaul. Not an expert and don't know if that's the way it's done now in some cities but is that possible and am I correct that it would't be a burden?

It is not the Back haul that causes the issue, it is most people would try and replace their home wireline internet for Unlimited LTE.

Imagine of that b41 pipe of around 75mbps(20mhz) ,well that is for hundreds if not thousands of people to use. That is like a cable company giving a neighborhood of several hundred houses 75mbps to use between everyone, and expecting it be all fine and dandy. The air link is what is going to be saturated. Honestly for something to be successful like this there would need to be a separate 20mhz chunk used for the unlimited if it were out for home broadband use. And throttle during peak hours for heavy users. But then again that 20mhz chunk could of been used to aggregate with another in a few years and enhance the experience to the actual cellphones it should be used for. There is a reason why the big two do not offer unlimited, it is not sustainable. If anything people should be pushing for companies to expand or build in arras they don't serve. Maybe congress could get a bill to offer incentives to increase rural high speed internet, so more people have access to that, and offload the carriers wireless networks

In an LTE network with fiber backhaul, the problem is not the backhaul.  It's the airlink.  It can only handle so much.  And some major users in each sector is enough to ruin the experience for many.  

In my opinion, WISP service and mobile wireless for smartphones should not be on the same network.  The smartphone business IS SO HIGHLY COMPETITIVE right now.  Smartphone customers think they need 50Mbps+ at every freaking second.  And Sprint's competitors are able to get the tech media to constantly tell the world their networks are that fast.  

If Sprint burdens their B41 network with tons of WISP traffic, they will only be able to maintain 10-20Mbps (if they are aggressive with additional B41 carriers).  And then Sprint will not be able to compete.  The cost to the network is too damn high for Sprint to pursue the WISP business, in my opinion.  Sure, they will get those people who want cheap unlimited WISP service (that are grossly expensive for the money they bring in) at the expense of high yielding mobile wireless customers who will stay over at Tmo and Verizon because their networks will be able to keep higher average speeds.

If Sprint wants to do an unlimited B41 LTE WISP, it needs to be on its own network so when their speeds drop, it does not impact smartphone speeds.  It wouldn't be difficult to do, really.  In most markets, they could provide an additional 2 or 3 carriers just for it beyond the 3 carriers slated for mobile carrier aggregation.  

But I don't think Sprint is all that concerned about going after these customers as a conventional WISP.  Even this B41 router is just being touted as a backup data solution.  Since it is tiered data, it would be very expensive to run as even a backup for a business for any length of time.  But it would be good to have in an emergency, as even an expensive backup is better than nothing in a catastrophic outage.  And it could be used as a Primary ISP, for customers who don't use much data.

Robert

• Like 3

Well then does anyone know what exactly is the theoretical capacity of 1 cell site on band 41 in a city like NYC? Much of the sites are obstructed by buildings everywhere. I don't know the density of Sprint sites but they need a lot of them to get through to people, And I'm not suggesting home routers but just unlimited hotspot service probably set to prioritize band 41.

I actually have unlimited service right now and hardly ever use more than 60GB a month on either Sprint or Clear.

Well then does anyone know what exactly is the theoretical capacity of 1 cell site on band 41 in a city like NYC? Much of the sites are obstructed by buildings everywhere. I don't know the density of Sprint sites but they need a lot of them to get through to people, And I'm not suggesting home routers but just unlimited hotspot service probably set to prioritize band 41.

I actually have unlimited service right now and hardly ever use more than 60GB a month on either Sprint or Clear.

It's pretty much a useless number,  but assuming about 60 mbps real world capacity in a 30.5 day month it is just short of 20TB per sector (download only). That assumes perfect distribution across the day and everyone having a perfect signal,  the reality will be so much lower it's just a useless number. 

The continuation of keeping wimax carrier online for select people is not efficient , when it would be added as another carrier for b41. Honestly there is an alternative to not having access to open DSL/ Cable internet. It is called satellite, and yes its not unlimited but it is an alternative for people so don't say Wimax is your only option. And to those who say its really slow, I have seen options for speeds just as fast, if not faster than Wimax. So file transfers are not too big of a deal, just need a little patience for the latency

Have you looked at the prices and allowances of satellite service? I could sign up for a 20GB Verizon account and save actually money and have faster service too.

Have you looked at the prices and allowances of satellite service? I could sign up for a 20GB Verizon account and save actually money and have faster service too.

Yes I have seen it. It is not as bad as some have to pay. And if it is for business you should be signed up as a business class, which in most cases on landlines cost even more so yeah, the prices are not actually not bad. I've seen plenty of business with satellite internet. It is plenty sufficient

Yes I have seen it. It is not as bad as some have to pay. And if it is for business you should be signed up as a business class, which in most cases on landlines cost even more so yeah, the prices are not actually not bad. I've seen plenty of business with satellite internet. It is plenty sufficient

Satellite is very restictive and you have daily limits on your volume. Trust me, I look into the service and there is nothing that will come close to the price/service offered by Clear.

Satellite is very restictive and you have daily limits on your volume. Trust me, I look into the service and there is nothing that will come close to the price/service offered by Clear.

Yes it may have limits but that's what you have to do is pay for it. But there is a reason why Sprint is going to offer unlimited on LTE. It is a waste of resources for the money they will receive. It would need to be priced well above it What clear charges now. When wimax shuts down you might have to choose satellite. Trust me if I had a business I would have to suck up to having to get it. Yes its an expense but not all business can be done from homes, especially if they do not have wirelines that are capable to handle business needs

Yes it may have limits but that's what you have to do is pay for it. But there is a reason why Sprint is going to offer unlimited on LTE. It is a waste of resources for the money they will receive. It would need to be priced well above it What clear charges now. When wimax shuts down you might have to choose satellite. Trust me if I had a business I would have to suck up to having to get it. Yes its an expense but not all business can be done from homes, especially if they do not have wirelines that are capable to handle business needs

Well I am going to enjoy working from home as long as Clear is available. I had satellite service but their service is neither fast not reliable. In addition you are really blacked from using services like VOIP, Netflix etc.

Well I am going to enjoy working from home as long as Clear is available. I had satellite service but their service is neither fast not reliable. In addition you are really blacked from using services like VOIP, Netflix etc.

Ive seen plenty of people use Netflix with satellite. There is reason why it is metered data though. It is a fixed resource and they don't want people abusing and hurting the connection of others. Hence why the the big 2 have metered data limits, and you pay extra for what you go over. It is plenty fair. Enjoy the wimax, just don't complain when LTE won't be unlimited.

Ive seen plenty of people use Netflix with satellite. There is reason why it is metered data though. It is a fixed resource and they don't want people abusing and hurting the connection of others. Hence why the the big 2 have metered data limits, and you pay extra for what you go over. It is plenty fair. Enjoy the wimax, just don't complain when LTE won't be unlimited.

That's what many people think and probably what many companies honestly think but that doesn't actually make good business sense. I wish people would stop blaming users and stop calling it abuse cause it's not.

With a finite resource such as a limited wireless bandwidth in a given cell area the way you reduce congestion is give customers a discount when data underutilized and charge a higher rate when congestion is high not uniform metered rates.

That's what many people think and probably what many companies honestly think but that doesn't actually make good business sense. I wish people would stop blaming users and stop calling it abuse cause it's not.

With a finite resource such as a limited wireless bandwidth in a given cell area the way you reduce congestion is give customers a discount when data underutilized and charge a higher rate when congestion is high not uniform metered rates.

Abuse is when you use unlimited wireless data when you have other options available to you causing undue strain on the network at everyone else's expense.  People who don't think that is abuse are the ones who will be to blame when the unlimited wireless data model comes to an end.

Robert