Sprint to Shut Down Wimax by End of 2015 (Was Wimax network shut-off date?)

linhpham2

Well, the business model would work because you have other users that don't use even 2GB per month and heavy users make up the difference. We should get away from the thought that these poor companies do us a favor and we should be blessed to pay an arm and a leg for their service. Have you ever looked at Japan? They pay less and have higher speeds too. They offered a service for a price and their calculation includes heavy users like myself but there is no alternative if you have no DSL, Cable etc available

If the business model worked, Clearwire would still be in business and would have thrived.  Sprint saved it from bankruptcy several times.  And now it has a different use for the assets it acquired.  If it wasn't for Sprint, Clearwire would have been bankrupt in 2011.  And you wouldn't have had the last two years of high speed wireless internet.  However, that gravy train ends with the end of the WiMax network.  It is what it is.

People who are on the receiving end of a good deal never want to see it go away.  We understand.  But it is.

Robert

• Like 2

If the business model worked, Clearwire would still be in business and would have thrived.  Sprint saved it from bankruptcy several times.  And now it has a different use for the assets it acquired.  If it wasn't for Sprint, Clearwire would have been bankrupt in 2011.  And you wouldn't have had the last two years of high speed wireless internet.  However, that gravy train ends with the end of the WiMax network.  It is what it is.

People who are on the receiving end of a good deal never want to see it go away.  We understand.  But it is.

Robert

I am not sure if with the proper funding and the right execution of network deployment Clear would have been able to make it as provider. Their network is good if you are covered and their speeds will do for all day use regardless if for personal or business. The entire relationship between Sprint and Clearwire and the lack of additional support from founding partners made it difficult. Clearwire lacked the funding and Sprint wasn't able to provide it too.

Hesse even admitted that without Clearwire, they could have not launched any type of 4G service at the time.

Lets see what will happens and I am still loving the unlimited Clear buffet,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone been offered a free phone?  (Quoting Sprint TOS)

"New Agreements on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network: Your Service on a device activated on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network may require a new one or two-year Agreement per line. Sprint expressly reserves the right to migrate your Service during this Agreement term from the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network to the Sprint 4G LTE network to complete your Agreement term. Reasonable advance notice of the Service change will be provided to impacted customers, who can then select one of the following options: (a) Choose to complete the Agreement term using your existing device without 4G (WiMAX) capability (B) Elect to complete the Agreement term by contacting us after receiving notice from Sprint to transition to the Sprint 4G LTE network with no additional term commitment required (Transition Option)© Deactivate service. Deactivations because of this Service change will not result in an Early Termination Fee (ETF). Transition Option: If you select the Transition Option, you will receive a free standard Sprint LTE capable device and can maintain your existing Service plan, if available. During the Agreement term, Sprint may provide other offers that are separate from the Transition Option, and these offers will be subject to a new two-year Agreement per line."

My reason for asking is because my friends iPhone 5 is acting up, but she has an EVO 4G laying around. I told her the best plan may be to reactivate the EVO 4G use that and hopefully get offered an in-contract upgrade to an LTE device soon. 

My reason for asking is because my friends iPhone 5 is acting up, but she has an EVO 4G laying around. I told her the best plan may be to reactivate the EVO 4G use that and hopefully get offered an in-contract upgrade to an LTE device soon.

I asked about this a few months back with Sprint on the phone and was told they aren't going to implement this policy until they actually shut down their wimax network which won't happen until 2015 or later. It seems it'd be better to just get the iPhone exchanged out, extend contract and pick up a free phone or find one used and in good condition and just use that if your friend is looking for a cheap way into an LTE device.

I asked about this a few months back with Sprint on the phone and was told they aren't going to implement this policy until they actually shut down their wimax network which won't happen until 2015 or later. It seems it'd be better to just get the iPhone exchanged out, extend contract and pick up a free phone or find one used and in good condition and just use that if your friend is looking for a cheap way into an LTE device.

2015? I though they had to shut off wimax to enable spark on 2500 ?   Anyway, she is a single mother without extra money to through around.   She will probably just use the EVO 4G until her normal upgrade date hits, then get a free phone and another 2 year contact or Sprint offers her a free phone to get off wimax, whatever happens first. 

2015? I though they had to shut off wimax to enable spark on 2500 ?   Anyway, she is a single mother without extra money to through around.   She will probably just use the EVO 4G until her normal upgrade date hits, then get a free phone and another 2 year contact or Sprint offers her a free phone to get off wimax, whatever happens first.

The equipment used allows for both WiMAX and LTE to be broadcast on the 2500/2600 MHz. They are still using WiMAX and will continue to do so for a while. As I mentioned, she could look into getting the iPhone switched out if there is a hardware issue with it or see if Sprint will allow an early upgrade if it isn't too early in the contract. Usually when there is a device issue, Sprint is good at providing options. I once had a defective phone swapped out during contract after multiple attempts to fix it.

• Like 1

Anyone been offered a free phone?  (Quoting Sprint TOS)

"New Agreements on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network: Your Service on a device activated on the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network may require a new one or two-year Agreement per line. Sprint expressly reserves the right to migrate your Service during this Agreement term from the Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Network to the Sprint 4G LTE network to complete your Agreement term. Reasonable advance notice of the Service change will be provided to impacted customers, who can then select one of the following options: (a) Choose to complete the Agreement term using your existing device without 4G (WiMAX) capability ( B) Elect to complete the Agreement term by contacting us after receiving notice from Sprint to transition to the Sprint 4G LTE network with no additional term commitment required (Transition Option)© Deactivate service. Deactivations because of this Service change will not result in an Early Termination Fee (ETF). Transition Option: If you select the Transition Option, you will receive a free standard Sprint LTE capable device and can maintain your existing Service plan, if available. During the Agreement term, Sprint may provide other offers that are separate from the Transition Option, and these offers will be subject to a new two-year Agreement per line."

that is really old....

It's not old. If you have a WiMax device on an account in an area where they remove WiMax coverage early, they will give you an LTE device if you choose to complete your contract. If you want to walk, they will let you go with no termination fee.

It hasn't happened anywhere yet, but if and when they do, they will give WiMax device owners a free LTE device. I doubt it will be a flagship device though.

It also would not apply to people in Arizona where they have no WiMax markets. This is for customers in established WiMax markets who may have their WiMax service removed before the end of their contracts.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

that is really old....

It's not old.

I think our resident Cornhusker means a replacement LTE device "that is really old."

AJ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All you folks clammering for LTE out there just remember that with LTE comes caps. Say goodbye to unlimited data. Clear WiMAX is the only network out there that provides truly unlimited data at a reasonable speed. No caps and no throttling.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

All you folks clammering for LTE out there just remember that with LTE comes caps. Say goodbye to unlimited data. Clear WiMAX is the only network out there that provides truly unlimited data at a reasonable speed. No caps and no throttling.

This is not accurate. LTE plans are not different than WiMax plans. And Sprint still offers unlimited data.

Sprint is making new plans where streaming video CAN be throttled down to 1Mbps when network conditions are stressed. And unlimited has not been removed from them. However, this does not affect existing plans. Whether 3G only, WiMax or LTE.

These new plans have nothing to do with technology type, but are related to a Sprint corporate decision. If Sprint stayed with WiMax and never adopted LTE, you could have expected the same the thing.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

My wimax service is and has been and continues to be generally faster and more reliable than my lte service, even in stabilized lte areas.

My wimax service is and has been and continues to be generally faster and more reliable than my lte service, even in stabilized lte areas.

And it will likely get faster and faster until it gets shut off.  It used to be far slower in the same places at its peak.  This isn't really a discussion of WiMax versus LTE as it is more about which network is carrying the load now.  And since the LTE network is not ready for prime time, it is especially struggling under load.

Robert

I am curious where you are seeing any offerings for unlimited data on the Sprint LTE network. Maybe you are looking at some phone plans. I use the network with a mobile hotspot. I see three plans ranging from 12 GB to 3GB for mobile broadband. Prices range from $80 to $35 a month.

Right now I use the Clear WiMAX network for $55 a month for two devices. A home modem and a mobile hotspot. So I don't need a data plan for mobile. And I get unlimited data. No caps or throttling.

I would love to find a similar deal when WiMAX is decommissioned and I lose my Clear account. If you know anywhere I can get truly unlimited, unthrottled and uncapped data on a wireless network i'd be all for it!

I am curious where you are seeing any offerings for unlimited data on the Sprint LTE network. Maybe you are looking at some phone plans. I use the network with a mobile hotspot. I see three plans ranging from 12 GB to 3GB for mobile broadband. Prices range from $80 to $35 a month.

Right now I use the Clear WiMAX network for $55 a month for two devices. A home modem and a mobile hotspot. So I don't need a data plan for mobile. And I get unlimited data. No caps or throttling.

I would love to find a similar deal when WiMAX is decommissioned and I lose my Clear account. If you know anywhere I can get truly unlimited, unthrottled and uncapped data on a wireless network i'd be all for it!

You didn't mention that you were referring to hotspot plans.  No one offers unlimited hotspot plans anymore.  It was not sustainable.  Clear is a dead dinosaur and was going bankrupt.  The bottom line is you get what you pay for.  If you under pay for your service and get too much in return, you won't be able to keep it for long.  Either the business will change its course, fail or sell.

Robert

I think there is a different perspective depending on whether you are a smartphone user or if you use the network for home service as well as mobile.

Smartphone users want the speed that LTE provides. And can live with caps on data. Home users want decent speed but unlimited data for the things you need at home like streaming. It was possible to do both on Clear but that is history.

I seem to recall hearing about a pilot project involving Dish Network and Sprint where they are installing high power home modems that use the LTE wireless network. Maybe that would be an alternative for home users. And some badly needed competition for the cable companies.

Maybe it's just not possible for smartphone users and home users to play in the same sandbox. But I keep hoping.

I think there is a different perspective depending on whether you are a smartphone user or if you use the network for home service as well as mobile.

Smartphone users want the speed that LTE provides. And can live with caps on data. Home users want decent speed but unlimited data for the things you need at home like streaming. It was possible to do both on Clear but that is history.

I seem to recall hearing about a pilot project involving Dish Network and Sprint where they are installing high power home modems that use the LTE wireless network. Maybe that would be an alternative for home users. And some badly needed competition for the cable companies.

Maybe it's just not possible for smartphone users and home users to play in the same sandbox. But I keep hoping.

I'm intrigued about the Dish/Sprint trial and would like to hear more details. I'd be surprised if it was truly unlimited in the way Clear was. But that is only my guess.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would support a pay per use type of business model. Similar to what I do with my voice service. I pay ten cents a minute on my phone on a prepaid plan.

But let's be realistic. $10 per GB as it is now is very pricey. I would propose maybe $1 per GB and you can use as little or as much data as you want to pay for. And if they wanted to throttle it down to 3-6 Mbps for streaming I could live with that.

• Like 2

I am sure this has been discussed but doesn't sprint have a massive chunk of bandwidth on their clearwire 2.6 holdings? Couldn't they relaunch a clearwire type modem on LTE, and restrict it to 6-10mbps and still offer unlimited?

my apologies in advance if this horse has been kicked to death

• Like 1

I am sure this has been discussed but doesn't sprint have a massive chunk of bandwidth on their clearwire 2.6 holdings? Couldn't they relaunch a clearwire type modem on LTE, and restrict it to 6-10mbps and still offer unlimited?

my apologies in advance if this horse has been kicked to death

It has been discussed and I think the general consensus was it couldn't be unlimited but it could have a much higher cap than what Verizon or AT&T would give you.

Even in my highest month of streaming I never went over 92 GB of data. And I usually average between 20-50 GB. I don't know what is the average for a home user but a I think 100 GB cap is reasonable. And I don't know anybody who really needs anything faster than 3-6 Mbps. Maybe for gamers. I used to stream movies on DSL at 1Mbps. If you could get all that for $50 a month for home/mobile service I think it would be sustainable and marketable. At least for the near future. The distinction between home use and mobile is quickly going away. People use laptops and tablets on the go as well as at home. Mobile is the wave of the future.

Even in my highest month of streaming I never went over 92 GB of data. And I usually average between 20-50 GB. I don't know what is the average for a home user but a I think 100 GB cap is reasonable. And I don't know anybody who really needs anything faster than 3-6 Mbps. Maybe for gamers. I used to stream movies on DSL at 1Mbps. If you could get all that for $50 a month for home/mobile service I think it would be sustainable and marketable. At least for the near future. The distinction between home use and mobile is quickly going away. People use laptops and tablets on the go as well as at home. Mobile is the wave of the future.

This is not an argument for or against... just a side note.

I typically use between 80 and 130GB per month on my home internet connection. Most of that is streaming Netflix and Hulu, but also weather data streams that I need as well as some gaming. For all those things, I need a low ping for things to work well. I'm also a bit of a video snob, I need my video in full HD, or I don't watch it. That requires more than 3-6Mbps. 

For these things to work well, I could not rely on a mobile connection, I need a wired connection, so a Clear/Sprint TD-LTE connection would not be for me, and anyone else like me. I'm not sure if home usage like that is sustainable on a mobile network either.

However, I'm sure it would work for some people. But if it's marketed publicly, you'll get people like me on it, and that could ruin it for everyone. 

• Like 1

Wireless is not for everyone. The big advantage for me is I can use a portable hotspot at home and on the go and I don't have to have two separate modems or internet bills. That saves me a lot of money.

What works for me might not work for you If you are a heavy user. That's why some sort of tiered service seems like a good idea. Some price per GB could work. But not $10 per GB like it is now. That's just not affordable for the average user. If you want capped service then that should be at a cheaper rate. If you need higher speed you should pay more. The actual numbers are debateable but somewhere in the range of $20-$100 per month depending on usage.