Sprint to Shut Down Wimax by End of 2015 (Was Wimax network shut-off date?)

linhpham2

Very interesting I saw a tarp wrapped around the Clearwire equipment today at one of the tower sites that is near me.  I am unfortunately stuck using my old Evo 3D (my 4G LTE phone stopped working correctly) So I had a chance to see if it was shut down or not, and it was still working..... Again VERY interesting!!!! (I was unable to take a good enough picture, no one is allowed to go up that driveway anymore its chained off and you cant get close enough to walk any further up to it).  

Sucks to see the end of Wimax. I mean yes compared to most networks it's slow. It's still faster then sprints 3G though XD. I also still use my Clearwire hotspot every now and then when I don't have internet at my house. 10 bucks gets you unlimited data for 24 hours. I never had a problem with clear. I still play xbox online with it and stream youtube and netflix through it.

Also it's cheaper then any other hotspot plans. I have 3 3G/LTE towers around my house but LTE can't really reach into my house and 3G (despite having NV out here in downers grove) is still terrible. I mean even when I am close to a tower I still get a max of like 1mb/s.

LTE is pretty consistent at least (Around 3-5mb/s with peak speeds sometimes getting to around 30mb/s) Still... IMO Clearwire should have not have been bought by Sprint. I mean it's great for sprint.... But we lost another option for service. I would have loved to seen Clearewire having it's TDD-LTE released.. I mean an LTE hotspot with unlimited data would have been great.  

• Like 1

Sucks to see the end of Wimax. I mean yes compared to most networks it's slow. It's still faster then sprints 3G though XD. I also still use my Clearwire hotspot every now and then when I don't have internet at my house. 10 bucks gets you unlimited data for 24 hours. I never had a problem with clear. I still play xbox online with it and stream youtube and netflix through it.

Also it's cheaper then any other hotspot plans. I have 3 3G/LTE towers around my house but LTE can't really reach into my house and 3G (despite having NV out here in downers grove) is still terrible. I mean even when I am close to a tower I still get a max of like 1mb/s.

LTE is pretty consistent at least (Around 3-5mb/s with peak speeds sometimes getting to around 30mb/s) Still... IMO Clearwire should have not have been bought by Sprint. I mean it's great for sprint.... But we lost another option for service. I would have loved to seen Clearewire having it's TDD-LTE released.. I mean an LTE hotspot with unlimited data would have been great.  

Sprint buying Clear was likely inevitable. Even if it was avoidable Sprint would have likely maintained its influence over Clear.

Sprint shouldn't have bought Clearwire? Oh, please. Because a slow and grossly under utilized WiMax network in 70 cities is just awesome, right? Sprint is taking the same spectrum, taking it to quadruple the customers with 10x the performance. In 2 more years, it will be about 30x the performance.

You know that Clearwire was bankrupt and Sprint had to bail them out several times right? It's because Clearwire customers were so bottom of the barrel. Under paying and over consuming. Clearwire needed to double their prices but they knew they would lose what few customers they had left. WiMax was not sustainable.

Sprint shouldn't have bought Clearwire...that's rich. As if there was any other way out. WiMax was a dead technology. Even Clearwire was planning to abandon it themselves. Sprint is just seeing through the same plans Clearwire already had. Nothing new in this 2015 sunset date. We have been talking about it since 2012. A year and a half before Sprint bought Clearwire.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 14

Clear likely would have gone under and been sold off piece by piece, or it might have been bought by Ergen. Regardless, it would never have remained as it has been. It was an unsustainable, short sighted business model that didn't recognize how much bandwidth consumers actually consume, nor how much that would end up skyrocketing with video and Internet game play and BitTorrent and any number of things they just never thought about.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It was either sprint buy clearwire or clearwire files for bankruptcy and gets picked off by Dish, Verizon, and who knows what else. 

If you are championing the idea of more choice, Clearewire being aquired by Sprint does just that.

• Like 6

Nothing new is being discussed.  The network shuts down at the end of 2015.  We have known about this for a long time.  Just further confirmation.  Thread closed.

Robert

• Like 14