3G Signal Top but 4G Signal sucks

bandwithhog

Ever since I have my LG G2, I noticed that the LTE signal is very week yet the 3G signal from the same tower is fully available on 1900 Mhz.

This is not just one tower, I noticed this all over Las Vegas. Could this be related to the LTE not being fully deployed / under construction?

I have seen this on most towers that have been listed as 3G/800/4G. Has anybody noticed the same issue?

Ever since I have my LG G2, I noticed that the LTE signal is very week yet the 3G signal from the same tower is fully available on 1900 Mhz. This is not just one tower, I noticed this all over Las Vegas. Could this be related to the LTE not being fully deployed / under construction?I have seen this on most towers that have been listed as 3G/800/4G. Has anybody noticed the same issue?

what do you mean by very weak what rsrp signal strengths are you seeing. If you are seeing a 1x signal of 70, its normal to see an LTE signal of 90. Just how the two are measured

what do you mean by very weak what rsrp signal strengths are you seeing. If you are seeing a 1x signal of 70, its normal to see an LTE signal of 90. Just how the two are measured

I have seen the 1x signal at -70 while the LTE signal remains at -103. I noticed that the penetration of the LTE signal is very weak when you go indoors. The tower is about 1 mile away and it's a residential neighborhood were my friend has his house.

I have seen the 1x signal at -70 while the LTE signal remains at -103. I noticed that the penetration of the LTE signal is very weak when you go indoors. The tower is about 1 mile away and it's a residential neighborhood were my friend has his house.

The LTE signal is more fragile than 3G EVDO and 1x RTT.  1x RTT and 3G EVDO are measured in RSSI (Recieved Signal Strength Indication) while LTE is measured in RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power) which is LTE specific.  -103 RSRP for LTE is a very usable signal while if it was 1x or 3G EVDO it would be very close on the unusable side if measured in RSSI.

Also signal levels will vary between you and the cell site depending on obstructions, topography, weather, etc.  

The LTE signal is more fragile than 3G EVDO and 1x RTT.  1x RTT and 3G EVDO are measured in RSSI (Recieved Signal Strength Indication) while LTE is measured in RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power) which is LTE specific.  -103 RSRP for LTE is a very usable signal while if it was 1x or 3G EVDO it would be very close on the unusable side.

Also signal levels will vary between you and the cell site depending on obstructions, topography, weather, etc.  

It would be nice if they can tweak this a little because you walk into a house with clear sight to the tower and your full bars are gone. LTE still provides 2-4 MB's down but not the 15 MB's you see outside the house and we are talking just one wall.

It would be nice if they can tweak this a little because you walk into a house with clear sight to the tower and your full bars are gone. LTE still provides 2-4 MB's down but not the 15 MB's you see outside the house and we are talking just one wall.

While 1900 LTE is nice, 800 LTE (Band 26) will help with in-building penetration.  What you see is what you get with 1900 PCS LTE, 2-4Mb/s is very usable for a smartphone plus I'd use WiFi if it was available instead of LTE, helps keep the network healthy and take some of that unnecessary bandwidth usage and give to someone else who may need it.   

The only tweaking they can do(in my understanding) is to get more low band spectrum which is naturally better at building penetration/propagation. Which is exactly what Sprint is doing with b26 LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The only tweaking they can do(in my understanding) is to get more low band spectrum which is naturally better at building penetration/propagation. Which is exactly what Sprint is doing with b26 LTE.

Why is Sprint not deploying LTE on b26 right now? I have seen on the maps that the towers are 3G/800/4G in his area but why not installing 4G on 800 when you are working on the network anyways?

Why is Sprint not deploying LTE on b26 right now? I have seen on the maps that the towers are 3G/800/4G in his area but why not installing 4G on 800 when you are working on the network anyways?

They are currently installing LTE on b26.  You're looking at the wrong map. The maps in the Premier section shows sites with accepted LTE on b26. 

To be honest, I couldn't tell you that. You need Robert, AJ, or one of the other senior members who know way more than I do. In my head it seems like b26 runs into issues of needing to be calibrated better to not interfere among towers(due to the massive propagation increase over b25), otherwise it could cause dead zones. I think they're just trying to do it right the first time instead of rushing things and causing more headaches.

All towers are b26 ready. All the need is carrier cards. I believe the issue was with obtaining the carrier cards which I don't think is an issue anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Also one thing I forgot is The LTE b25 downtilt might be higher than evdo and 1x. And could be a huge cause. Yes b26 will help indoor connections but it may not switch you over until b25 is has an unusable connection/signal strength. B26 is not meant for everyone to be parked on so they can get better indoor signal strength.

Which phone do you have. Depending on the phone bars do not represent LTE signal strength, but represents 1x signal strength.

They are currently installing LTE on b26.  You're looking at the wrong map. The maps in the Premier section shows sites with accepted LTE on b26. 

I have to look at it when I get to that level.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you that. You need Robert, AJ, or one of the other senior members who know way more than I do. In my head it seems like b26 runs into issues of needing to be calibrated better to not interfere among towers(due to the massive propagation increase over b25), otherwise it could cause dead zones. I think they're just trying to do it right the first time instead of rushing things and causing more headaches.

Considering that Verizon runs their network on 700 MHz which is even lower as Sprint's 800 MHz. okay that probably have a higher tower spacing but still this back and for seems a little redundant. People in Bakersfield are pretty much 3G/800/4G from the start or very shortly after initial 3G/800 deployment,

All towers are b26 ready. All the need is carrier cards. I believe the issue was with obtaining the carrier cards which I don't think is an issue anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

That was my thought and I would love to know if there is a priority. I was told that Las Vegas may even launch as a Spark market on day one.

Also one thing I forgot is The LTE b25 downtilt might be higher than evdo and 1x. And could be a huge cause. Yes b26 will help indoor connections but it may not switch you over until b25 is has an unusable connection/signal strength. B26 is not meant for everyone to be parked on so they can get better indoor signal strength.

My buddy is a mile away from tower A and there is a 2nd tower about 2 miles away. I noticed myself that I started a call on 1900 Mhz while driving and was handed over to 800 MHz during the call and stayed on 800 for a while.

Which phone do you have. Depending on the phone bars do not represent LTE signal strength, but represents 1x signal strength.

This should not be an issue with the LG G2 or any other Tri-Band

1x800 is band class 10. Band 26(b26) is LTE. There will be no way to force yourself onto b26 unless you do not have usable b41/b25. And no priority change can help that. 1x800 can be forced by a simple prl.

First, there is a misconception going on. Las Vegas is an Alcatel-Lucent market. Historically, ALU has had issues with 800 MHz equipment. They are now resolving those issues and ALU markets should really start taking off quickly. Look at all the 1x800 acceptances just in Vegas in the last week. Band 26 LTE, once it starts getting deployed in Vegas should go fast.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to look at it when I get to that level.

Considering that Verizon runs their network on 700 MHz which is even lower as Sprint's 800 MHz. okay that probably have a higher tower spacing but still this back and for seems a little redundant. People in Bakersfield are pretty much 3G/800/4G from the start or very shortly after initial 3G/800 deployment,

That was my thought and I would love to know if there is a priority. I was told that Las Vegas may even launch as a Spark market on day one.

My buddy is a mile away from tower A and there is a 2nd tower about 2 miles away. I noticed myself that I started a call on 1900 Mhz while driving and was handed over to 800 MHz during the call and stayed on 800 for a while.

This should not be an issue with the LG G2 or any other Tri-Band

It appears they are making steps to make the newer phones work with the 700 band as well in roaming on a partner 4G LTE network ---

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-competitive-carriers-association-and-netamerica-alliance-join-forces-to-accelerate-deployment-and-utilization-of-4g-lte-across-the-united-states.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I have my LG G2, I noticed that the LTE signal is very week yet the 3G signal from the same tower is fully available on 1900 Mhz.

This is not just one tower, I noticed this all over Las Vegas. Could this be related to the LTE not being fully deployed / under construction?

I have seen this on most towers that have been listed as 3G/800/4G. Has anybody noticed the same issue?

I have experienced this multiple times since I visit Vegas often when I'm inside my room at hotels. For example, while at Monte Carlo, I'm able to call and surf the went on 3G better than when connected to LTE, same when staying at Excalibur, I assume its because of low signal on the LTE side and not enought 4G sites on but  no problems whatsoever when walking the strip. The only place im able to get 4G is inside Hakkassan but as people fill in the club it switches back to 3G.