Sprint VoLTE Discussion thread [was Sprint partners with BroadSoft for VoLTE]

Sprint is working with network vendor BroadSoft to enable next-generation IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) technology as well as Voice over LTE. However, Sprint has not given a firm timeline for when it will launch VoLTE service. 

According to a statement from BroadSoft, Sprint will use its BroadWorks platform, which is IR.92 and IR.94 compliant, and is architected to easily integrate with 2G, 3G, and LTE IMS-based networks. BroadSoft said its services allow carriers to transition Unified Communications systems from legacy networks as they migrate to VoLTE.

Read more: Sprint partners with BroadSoft for VoLTE, but timeline is MIA - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-partners-broadsoft-volte-timeline-mia/2014-01-29#ixzz2roUaNMqe 

Subscribe at FierceWireless

• Like 4

No one is going to point out the error in the article? Hint: look in the HD voice section.

Wrong codec (should be EVRC-NW). It is also misleading to say that "Sprint has been rolling out HD Voice capabilities on its 800 MHz spectrum" without mentioning that 1xA on PCS is also capable of supporting HD Voice.

I do love how the article points out that Sprint, Verizon and AT&T have all been testing and planning to move to VoLTE soon but T-Mobile has no plans at this time.

I do love how the article points out that Sprint, Verizon and AT&T have all been testing and planning to move to VoLTE soon but T-Mobile has no plans at this time.

It would not be very uncarrier of them to follow Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T right??? :hee:

If you count MetroPCS areas, T-Mobile already has VoLTE running. It's only available on certain CDMA/LTE legacy MetroPCS handsets. So in that regard the article was not completely accurate.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't these people already work with Google/Sprint voice integration?

I can't say much positive about the voice quality with that.

That's misleading, the whole Sprint/Google Voice integration at least. Voice calls still use 1x. The SMS and voicemail uses data. The integration allows one to use their data service for SMS messages instead of the 1x network which if you're in an area that is bordered legacy and NV you would know is a miserable experience.

It also affords the user to have other devices tied to Google Voice to expand your voice capabilities. Such as adding a home phone number to your GV so that when your cell rings, your home phone will as well, either can answer the calls. Or getting a service that forwards a virtual phone number to a SIP account allowing you to get calls to and from a SIP server enabling VOIP calls to take place over cell data and/or wifi.

That's misleading, the whole Sprint/Google Voice integration at least. Voice calls still use 1x. The SMS and voicemail uses data. The integration allows one to use their data service for SMS messages instead of the 1x network which if you're in an area that is bordered legacy and NV you would know is a miserable experience.

It also affords the user to have other devices tied to Google Voice to expand your voice capabilities. Such as adding a home phone number to your GV so that when your cell rings, your home phone will as well, either can answer the calls. Or getting a service that forwards a virtual phone number to a SIP account allowing you to get calls to and from a SIP server enabling VOIP calls to take place over cell data and/or wifi.

Misleading, how?

I get voice delays on outgoing and incoming calls when my Sprint cell number is fully integrated.

When roaming, for example on USC or Verizon, the integration isn't there and to make international calls I have to dial my own cell number, enter my password, then dial the call manually.

In cases like this, partial google voice integration is better, where it dials an access number automatically, if configured that way.

Misleading, how?

I get voice delays on outgoing and incoming calls when my Sprint cell number is fully integrated.

When roaming, for example on USC or Verizon, the integration isn't there and to make international calls I have to dial my own cell number, enter my password, then dial the call manually.

In cases like this, partial google voice integration is better, where it dials an access number automatically, if configured that way.

If I don't have voice service calls do not go through. If I manage to have enough voice signal for a call to go through, the quality of service is still subject to the quality of the voice channel connection including being susceptible to drop calls due to bouncing towers and eventually to one too far away or a jump from legacy to NV. This while being connected to a full strength wifi connection sporting a 30/3 broadband connection. Now when I got through the trouble of setting up SIP, calls will go over wifi and they sound amazing compared to the cellular calls. All from within the same office, same desk, same chair.

Just my experience. I even went through the Sprint and Google FAQ's. They go over all the extra features that integration brings but none of them are voice over IP. That's how I meant misleading.

• 2 months later...

Instead of making a new thread, can a mod just edit the title of this one as our VoLTE thread?

Also, here's the link to Robert's awesome article on the wall for those too lazy to look it up: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-368-sprint-is-proceeding-with-a-volte-network-that-focuses-on-interoperability-with-domestic-and-international-volte-carriers

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Verizon waiting until 2016 to deploy LTE-only devices.
It is interesting to see how each carrier is going about or discussing their VoLTE plans.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-launch-volte-q4-delays-first-lte-only-phones-2016/2014-08-12

How big of a deal is VoLTE really the next couple of years? (Well for Sprint users, probably a bigger deal than some --due to no SVDO/SVLTE right now on Spark devices). But I wonder if it's that important if a carrier launches 2015 versus 2016 for example. 

Edited by sexpanther
  • Like 1

I think Verizon and Sprint are taking the right approach. Voice service is far too important to risk messing it up with a network or technology that isn't ready. I for one hope that Sprint doesn't stop selling CDMA capable handsets for the foreseeable future. The 15db advantage CDMA has over LTE at the same frequency means that it is unlikely LTE coverage will ever be equal, unless of course we see some 400MHz spectrum cleared and auctioned for LTE.

• Like 5

Is there any phone that currently support VoLTE on Sprint Line UP?

No. Sprint has not deployed VoLTE, yet. There is no exact timeline on when they will deploy it, but some say in 2015 sometime, if the technology is there to make it seamless as well as properly fall-back to the CDMA network.

No word on what devices will support VoLTE yet, either.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I think Verizon and Sprint are taking the right approach. Voice service is far too important to risk messing it up with a network or technology that isn't ready. I for one hope that Sprint doesn't stop selling CDMA capable handsets for the foreseeable future. The 15db advantage CDMA has over LTE at the same frequency means that it is unlikely LTE coverage will ever be equal, unless of course we see some 400MHz spectrum cleared and auctioned for LTE.

The way some of the phones work right now, I doubt that VoLTE will ever be ready. Even B26 drops indoors to a very weak EVDO. LTE coverage will have a hard time covering the same real estate that EVDO/1x did. In areas where I lose LTE, I am still able to make and receive phone calls perfectly.

Ive also personally seen cases where I drop a very usable LTE signal when I put the phone on my lap. Not good if youre expecting calls to go through LTE when phones are kept in pockets. I think putting the phone in my pocket makes it lose ~8 dbm on average.

The way some of the phones work right now, I doubt that VoLTE will ever be ready. Even B26 drops indoors to a very weak EVDO. LTE coverage will have a hard time covering the same real estate that EVDO/1x did. In areas where I lose LTE, I am still able to make and receive phone calls perfectly.

Ive also personally seen cases where I drop a very usable LTE signal when I put the phone on my lap. Not good if youre expecting calls to go through LTE when phones are kept in pockets. I think putting the phone in my pocket makes it lose ~8 dbm on average.

eSRVCC will help with that. And Sprint will probably optimize the network further for even better coverage to make sure people don't fall off of LTE very often.

eSRVCC will help with that. And Sprint will probably optimize the network further for even better coverage to make sure people don't fall off of LTE very often.

It still wouldnt help providers like Verizon who are planning to release LTE only phones. LTE on their network still doesnt adequately cover indoors like their 1x does and it may never will.
  • Like 1

It still wouldnt help providers like Verizon who are planning to release LTE only phones. LTE on their network still doesnt adequately cover indoors like their 1x does and it may never will.

When Verizon decide to unplug CDMA, Sprint will have to follow. otherwise, roaming and device cost will be a problem