Additional rural coverage

Is there any word or rumors of Sprint (with this deployment) increasing their coverage, with maybe more rural coverage?  (maybe in the next 5 yrs)

5 years is a long time. I could imagine Sprint would do something to increase rural coverage in that period of time. By then we will all be with our triband devices with so much unlimited data and speed that we don't know what to do with ourselves. 

Edit: too add to this. 800 will increase coverage in rural areas ALOT. 

• Like 4

Is there any word or rumors of Sprint (with this deployment) increasing their coverage, with maybe more rural coverage?  (maybe in the next 5 yrs)

Truly rural areas?  Doubtful.  Secondary/tertiary markets?  Likely.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3703-potential-sprint-rural-buildout-by-2016/

AJ

• Like 3

Truly rural areas? Doubtful. Secondary/tertiary markets? Likely.

AJ

It's funny when looking back at that post because I bet Robert wasn't thinking about moving to SD at the time.
  • Like 2

It's funny when looking back at that post because I bet Robert wasn't thinking about moving to SD at the time.

I paved the way.

AJ

• Like 2

Truly rural areas?  Doubtful.  Secondary/tertiary markets?  Likely.

AJ

Man, do I love that thread.  I go back and read it on days that AT&T pisses me off.  It makes me feel warm inside and full of hope.

Robert

• Like 7

If Sprint bids for 600Mhz spectrum and is successful, I feel like this would be a prime opportunity to begin a rural deployment of its wireless services. Even adding 800Mhz voice and LTE to all Wimax protection sites would substantially give Sprint a larger service area as well.

• Like 2

Man, do I love that thread.  I go back and read it on days that AT&T pisses me off.  It makes me feel warm inside and full of hope.

Of course, the warm, full feeling also could be a tumor.

AJ

• Like 1

If Sprint bids for 600Mhz spectrum and is successful, I feel like this would be a prime opportunity to begin a rural deployment of its wireless services. Even adding 800Mhz voice and LTE to all Wimax protection sites would substantially give Sprint a larger service area as well.

Why would 600 Mhz make that much of a difference? It could put a slightly longer reach on existing tower locations.

But they have a lot of existing spectrum that can use, but they have to build or add onto another's tower to use it.

Rural is a subjective term, again. :)

• Like 1

With the new Sprint user terms, the amount we're allowed to roam has been reduced.

But with the Sprint 800 Mhz spectrum starting to be used now, people will roam a lot less where it is enabled.

I can't wait until I think 2016(?) when its available along the border zones.

Isn't sprints roaming agreement with Verizon up soon? I'd think it would be in sprints best interest to try and renew it. Any thoughts? I often find my self roaming on Verizon, even in a native sprint area.

No. Verizon's willingness to take sprint's money for 1x voice and data will not end as long as cdma is around.

What *is* ending in 2016 is sprint's agreement with alltel for preferred roaming rates. Much of it is already mute anyway. The only real change could be less 3g roaming in the standard prl in a very limited number of areas.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I dont see the need for that when we are trying to get away from evdo eventually and with us already having roaming agreements whenever its fired up would make it more likely to get oversubscribed and less speed with evdo with where smartphones are going.

I dont see the need for that when we are trying to get away from evdo eventually and with us already having roaming agreements whenever its fired up would make it more likely to get oversubscribed and less speed with evdo with where smartphones are going.

It's only needed in areas where its too rural and expensive since EVDO pcs goes as far as 800 LTE so 800 EVDO should go really far so less sites and cheaper to maintain.

And 100MB roaming is not much.

It's only needed in areas where its too rural and expensive since EVDO pcs goes as far as 800 LTE so 800 EVDO should go really far so less sites and cheaper to maintain.

And 100MB roaming is not much.

One problem with your idea is there are no devices on the market that support EV-DO on the SMR frequencies that Sprint has. Unless I'm wrong (which I wouldn't be surprised) then you would have to start selling devices to people that support 800 EV-DO, which would be counter-productive since LTE is going to be the future.

-Anthony

One problem with your idea is there are no devices on the market that support EV-DO on the SMR frequencies that Sprint has. Unless I'm wrong (which I wouldn't be surprised) then you would have to start selling devices to people that support 800 EV-DO, which would be counter-productive since LTE is going to be the future.

-Anthony

All Sprint devices that support 1x800 voice, also support EV-DO on 800. It's a built in design because of CDMA technology. However, Sprint is not planning to deploy EV-DO on 800, and I don't think they will reconsider anytime soon. LTE is the way everyone is going. EV-DO is heading the way of the dodo and CDMA 1x voice/data will eventually too.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

All Sprint devices that support 1x800 voice, also support EV-DO on 800. It's a built in design because of CDMA technology. However, Sprint is not planning to deploy EV-DO on 800, and I don't think they will reconsider anytime soon. LTE is the way everyone is going. EV-DO is heading the way of the dodo and CDMA 1x voice/data will eventually too.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

CDMA on sprint will be running till 2022 at least. I don't call that soon. And EVDO 800 on fast bsckhaul is more than enough capacity-wise for truly rural places once the roaming rates go up.

CDMA on sprint will be running till 2022 at least. I don't call that soon. And EVDO 800 on fast bsckhaul is more than enough capacity-wise for truly rural places once the roaming rates go up.

But sprint would rather go all in or none. No point in not making it LTE.

LTE on 800 does indeed go a little farther than EVDO on 1900. But probably more important, LTE 800 penetrates within its coverage better than PCS on 1900. Also, LTE on 800 is important for any VoLTE strategy in the long run. It is smarter for Sprint to have faster and more capacity 5MHz LTE on 800, than to dedicate any SMR spectrum to EVDO. EVDO is a dead end technology.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 8