Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

Right now I would love to jump in and could easily find 6 other people/lines to go with me: 1 would be switching to Sprint from a mvno, the other 5 are already on their own Sprint contracts.

If I understand properly, those 5 who already use Sprint are not eligible to join my Framily.  I hope Sprint opens up a way for existing customers to merge with others, as that is the only way I can see getting onto this.  I'm not too interested in porting my # out and then back in as a new customer, that is a lot of trouble and there are a lot of people not savoy enough to do it.

Today, I went from not sure if I'll migrate to framily, to having 6 lines linked, with 2 more possibly joining. Today was a good day. (AJ, cue the YouTube music video).

AJ

• Like 3

Something to keep in mind, regarding buying future phones on ebay/craigslist/etc...

One of the primary reasons for cheap 2nd hand phones is from people using up un-needed upgrades and selling them to make a profit.

With subsidized phones going away eventually, this market excess of cheap phones is likely to dry up as well, since everyone will have to pay full price and/or return the phone for early upgrades.

of course, if you get a good phone and just keep it until it dies 2 or more years later, then you can still save money from avoiding the new phone financing.

And/or buy cheaper (than most every other phones) nexus phones from Google.

Okay then keep this in mind. I have the Note 3 it is New in mint condition. When i get my next phone i will sell it. If prices go up on phones on ebay then that means when i sell my Note 3 it will go up in price. So when the next iPhone comes out if upgrades are avil it will not be too bad. But if they are gone then my note 3 goes up. As long as you sell and keep your old phone in good shape a new phone will not hurt as bad.

Also with unlimited data you get the phones for 20$ over 12 months and get to trade it back in for another phone after renting it for a year for 240$ but the main factor for me to switch is that as of now i have 11 lines of service. I only use 9 of them. 2 sit around and do nothing but wait to upgrade and use that upgrade.

My total bill with a 10% credit union discount is still like $440 right now if i switch and keep 2 phone with unlimited data my cost will  be over 100$ less. WIth that savings i can leave sprint anythime i want since no contract and also 20 months of svaings is 2k i never buy 2k worth of phones.

I only upgrade to sell to recoup other than me and my Son nobody else really upgrades and when they do it is a refurb of a older phone.

Sprint really screwed the pooch when they decided that framily id numbers should contain upper/lower case numbers, and make their input case-sensitive. It took 5 texts to explain to my brother that "no, that's like 3 zeros, a lower-case 'o,' and an upper-case 'O.'"

Right now I would love to jump in and could easily find 6 other people/lines to go with me: 1 would be switching to Sprint from a mvno, the other 5 are already on their own Sprint contracts.

If I understand properly, those 5 who already use Sprint are not eligible to join my Framily.  I hope Sprint opens up a way for existing customers to merge with others, as that is the only way I can see getting onto this.  I'm not too interested in porting my # out and then back in as a new customer, that is a lot of trouble and there are a lot of people not savoy enough to do it.

Hmmm port out to T-Mo and let them pay the ETF then join a Framily?   :lol:   I wonder if T-Mobile will accept any old phone as part of that promotion.

Sprint will never allow two existing groups to merge. That will kill their profit. Anyone that knows 10 people with phones, a few of them will have Sprint and would just merge together for a discount. The whole point of framily is to bring in new customers, and everyone in the group gets a discount for it. It's a glorified referral program.

Looks like the as you go plan is going to be what I switch to after my contract is up.

$60 a month no contract smart phone unlimited data 

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan_details.jsp?tabId=plnTab5610002&planCatId=pln796003cat&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=&showDetailsTab=true

Now I bet if I go for it they will tell me I can't use a Nexus 5 or Spark or something. I hope they let me bring my own phone.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I don't believe the Nexus 5 is locked regardless of where you get it from.

You might be right, but if its not bought from sprint or google they wont activate it (i believe) So in this case thats what I meant by locked... sorry 

I just confirmed that mine is unlocked out of the box with an out of service at&t Sim card from my iPhone 4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Did you activate in on sprint? 

I was wrong in using the word "locked"  I was reading if it wasnt a sprint nexus or google it cant be activated on sprint. 

I dont know if that has changed or there is a work around.

You might be right, but if its not bought from sprint or google they wont activate it (i believe) So in this case thats what I meant by locked... sorry 

Huh?  All Nexus 5s are effectively bought from Google -- whether first hand or through a third party.

Do you think that Sprint has a blacklist of Nexus 5s that are activated on other providers first?  That would require the other providers to share device info with Sprint.  It is not happening.

AJ

Looks like the as you go plan is going to be what I switch to after my contract is up.

$60 a month no contract smart phone unlimited data

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan_details.jsp?tabId=plnTab5610002&planCatId=pln796003cat&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=&showDetailsTab=true

Now I bet if I go for it they will tell me I can't use a Nexus 5 or Spark or something. I hope they let me bring my own phone.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

You cant bring a phone to as you go. You have to purchase a phone.

Sent from tapatalk

You cant bring a phone to as you go. You have to purchase a phone.

Sent from tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Its beginning to look like Sprint doesn't want to make a good deal for a single line customer like me. 

Thanks for the info. Its beginning to look like Sprint doesn't want to make a good deal for a single line customer like me.

Unlimited everything for 45-75 with your nexus 5. Id call that a good deal. A few people here started framilys so hook up with one of them and you will be at 70. Get a few more and it will really start dropping.

Or for the ultimate deal get a part time job at sprint. They provide unlimited everything for free and family/friends get unlimited data text and cell mins for 40.

Huh? All Nexus 5s are effectively bought from Google -- whether first hand or through a third party.

Do you think that Sprint has a blacklist of Nexus 5s that are activated on other providers first? That would require the other providers to share device info with Sprint. It is not happening.

AJ

I've read in other forums that Sprint would not activate a n5 that was purchased directly from T-Mobile previously.

Sprint will never allow two existing groups to merge. That will kill their profit. Anyone that knows 10 people with phones, a few of them will have Sprint and would just merge together for a discount. The whole point of framily is to bring in new customers, and everyone in the group gets a discount for it. It's a glorified referral program.

Is there a good source on that? I was planning on merging my two family plans. 

Unlimited everything for 45-75 with your nexus 5. Id call that a good deal. A few people here started framilys so hook up with one of them and you will be at 70. Get a few more and it will really start dropping.

Or for the ultimate deal get a part time job at sprint. They provide unlimited everything for free and family/friends get unlimited data text and cell mins for 40.

Existing customers can't join another existing customer Framily.

If I understand properly, those 5 who already use Sprint are not eligible to join my Framily. I hope Sprint opens up a way for existing customers to merge with others, as that is the only way I can see getting onto this. I'm not too interested in porting my # out and then back in as a new customer, that is a lot of trouble and there are a lot of people not savoy enough to do it.

I switched from AT&T, not realizing that the coverage was not nearly as good in my area and the ATT "LTE Speed" was 3X faster in my area than Sprints "LTE", Also not realizing the discounts I was expecting were only applicable on data (due to the limited plans available).

So I am now paying more, with spotty coverage (dropped calls) roaming message in my house!, connection speeds very slow, Even if this seems to be a good deal, make sure that Sprint service is "good" in the areas where you mostly user your mobile.

Edited by S4GRU
Removed all caps

You can start a Framily by calling the Sprint support number. I find that working with the Sprint call centers usually goes more smoothly than going to a store.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I find the complete opposite.  I have always found the store employees way more helpful than the hotlines.

Every time I run the numbers it comes up more expensive with unlimited data and a top tier phone because I am have just one phone on my account. Also after a year can upgrade again  :)  but don't have an old phone I could sell in 20 months . :(

Looks good at first but I don't like it. :td:

b

For New customers it is cheaper to get this plan (for one person) than to get the everything plan (the only plan they offer now)

BEWARE OF SWITCHING TO SPRINT. I switched from AT&T, not realizing that the coverage was not nearly as good in my area and the ATT "LTE Speed" was 3X faster in my area than Sprints "LTE", Also not realizing the discounts I was expecting were only applicable on data (due to the limited plans available).

So I am now paying more, with spotty coverage (dropped calls) roaming message in my house!, connection speeds very slow, Even if this seems to be a good deal, make sure that Sprint service is "good" in the areas where you mostly user your mobile.

That is pretty much common sense. Looks like you didn't do much research before switching. This is not a Sprint complaints forum. You should direct your issues to Sprint not this forum.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

They were confused and/or idiots. This is what happens when they give 72 hours from telling employees to launch. There was a whole page in the launch guide dedicated to the fee so i dunno.

I was told by the store employee who signed me up the fee is waived..... But we will see what I am billed.

That is pretty much common sense. Looks like you didn't do much research before switching. This is not a Sprint complaints forum. You should direct your issues to Sprint not this forum.

You are absolutely right, I did not do the research that I should have and now I am stuck.  

I just wanted to point out to the person who was thinking of switching to Sprint to research the coverage before switching.

You are absolutely right, I did not do the research that I should have and now I am stuck.

I just wanted to point out to the person who was thinking of switching to Sprint to research the coverage before switching.

Why didn't you return the phone within the first 14 days? You could have cancelled the contract.

• Like 2