Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

This is only true if you are the only person on the network.  If the network is at capacity at Noon, and at 10% of capacity at 2:30AM, then using 1GB of data at Noon is going to stress the network.  

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post.  Caps do generate revenue.  Not just in overage charges.  But also in it causes people to buy larger plans than they may really need in fear that they go over and generate overage charges.  I probably even have one data tier higher than I probably need with AT&T as a buffer for those months I may need more.

I like the thought of peak/off-peak times.  However, there is a huge variance in what is a peak time.  It varies by site and by sector.  A peak time may be during the day in business districts and schools, but it may be night in residential areas.  Airports are consistently busy day and evening.  There are probably dozens of peak scenarios out there.

I think peak and off peak voice pricing was just a means of generating more money, and it never had any significant network performance ramifications.

Robert

What is your opinion of a soft cap  where Sprint could throttle someone to the max 1x speeds after they pass their cap?

Okay before i go there and ask them tomorrow ill ask here. I have 10 lines of service. 2 are able to be upgraded now but i have been saving the upgrade 5 of them will be able to get full upgrade in 3 months as they have 90 days left in this contract and will be upgrade elig then.

I would love to use them but i guess i can't have my cake and eat it too right? and what about the 2 lines which are able to upgraded right now?

Okay before i go there and ask them tomorrow ill ask here. I have 10 lines of service. 2 are able to be upgraded now but i have been saving the upgrade 5 of them will be able to get full upgrade in 3 months as they have 90 days left in this contract and will be upgrade elig then.

I would love to use them but i guess i can't have my cake and eat it too right? and what about the 2 lines which are able to upgraded right now?

If they have 90 days left in contract they are already upgrade eligible since sprint upgrades at 20 months, 4 months before the contract is up.

You switch all to framily and avoid extra fees since they are waiving the 15 fee for people that switch over early. You can upgrade the 2 lines now using easy pay or paying msrp. The other lines will be eligible when ever they are eligible.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If they have 90 days left in contract they are already upgrade eligible since sprint upgrades at 20 months, 4 months before the contract is up.

You switch all to framily and avoid extra fees since they are waiving the 15 fee for people that switch over early. You can upgrade the 2 lines now using easy pay or paying msrp. The other lines will be eligible when ever they are eligible.

I meant to say 90 days left before upgradeable not contract.

I meant to say 2 lines are ready now to upgrade and the others will be in a few months. I would rather pay the 199$ then the 699$

Also can someone show me where it says if you go with the unlimited you get a upgrade 1 time per year every 12 months? i have not seen this anywhere in there terms

I meant to say 2 lines are ready now to upgrade and the others will be in a few months. I would rather pay the 199$ then the 699$

Also can someone show me where it says if you go with the unlimited you get a upgrade 1 time per year every 12 months? i have not seen this anywhere in there terms

From the Framily Q&A link :

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/title/315d1dfb-7fe2-4e5a-b633-36db2003ecc8?INTNAV=LP:RMB:01092014:QA#faq20

How do I exercise my Annual Upgrade option?

Customers on the Sprint Framily Plan that buy-up to the $20 per month unlimited and annual upgrade and have the buy up on their account for 12 consecutive months can give back their current Installment Agreement phone (or an authorized replacement) and enter into a new Installment Agreement via Sprint Easy Pay. Give back of current phone in good and functional condition will waive the rest of their current installment agreement.

If any of you guys are going to do this I wouldn't mind hopping on a group of at least 7. That way I can get a Sim card and put it in my Nexus 5 and try out the network for a few months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind jumping in a group that will be 7+ on here either.  One question though, is the pricing on this dynamic?  If somebody leaves the "framily" does the price adjust accordingly or is it set for a certain period of time?  I'm guessing that it will adjust which could potentially screw framily members still on the plan.

I'm not sure we can do that. Existing customers have to merge accounts I think and we would be responsible for each others bills if I read and understand it correctly. Now if I leave and come back I could join one. Sounds like it's a way to get new customers and I'm SoL.

Sent from my SPH-L900

What is your opinion of a soft cap where Sprint could throttle someone to the max 1x speeds after they pass their cap?

That's probably too low. I do like how Sprint is offering video streaming at 1Mbps on the guaranteed for life plans. In the case of a soft cap throttle scenario, I would like the option to continue at full speed for a fee.

If I overrun my allotment and I'm only a day or two away, I may be able to just deal with being throttled for a short bit. Or I may have had to do a lot of travelling one month and have to exceed my allotment. I may be willing to pay another $20 than to live with throttled speeds for two weeks. In no case would I want to be stuck at throttled speeds until the end of the billing period with no options.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't mind jumping in a group that will be 7+ on here either. One question though, is the pricing on this dynamic? If somebody leaves the "framily" does the price adjust accordingly or is it set for a certain period of time? I'm guessing that it will adjust which could potentially screw framily members still on the plan.

If people drop off it will go up and those spots in the framily group will be available if you know other people.

To answer the other post, you are only responsible for your account. The only thibg connecting different accounts in the framily is the framily ID. There is no shared liability.

Also you will not have a choice for long about liking framily, easy pay or msrp because sprint will be announcing the end of subsidies and contracts soon.

What is your opinion of a soft cap  where Sprint could throttle someone to the max 1x speeds after they pass their cap?

I am not certain that Sprint has the ability to shape traffic over EV-DO, only LTE.  If so, an LTE throttled data abuser could switch over to EV-DO and get a fairly consistent 1.5 Mbps to escape the throttle, as most traffic will be over LTE, leaving EV-DO pretty wide open.

AJ

If people drop off it will go up and those spots in the framily group will be available if you know other people.

To answer the other post, you are only responsible for your account. The only thibg connecting different accounts in the framily is the framily ID. There is no shared liability.

Also you will not have a choice for long about liking framily, easy pay or msrp because sprint will be announcing the end of subsidies and contracts soon.

How long do you think that will be?

If people drop off it will go up and those spots in the framily group will be available if you know other people.To answer the other post, you are only responsible for your account. The only thibg connecting different accounts in the framily is the framily ID. There is no shared liability.Also you will not have a choice for long about liking framily, easy pay or msrp because sprint will be announcing the end of subsidies and contracts soon.Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Look back a few post 129 I think.

This it from Sprint's faq:

I am a current Sprint customer and want to change my current plan to Sprint Framily Plan. I am upgrade eligible or am in an active Sprint One Up installment billing agreement.

Customers who are upgrade eligible are eligible to change to the Sprint Framily Plan.Customers in an active Sprint One UpSM installment billing agreement established prior to 1/10/14 are eligible to change to the Sprint Framily Plan. Here are some additional things to keep in mind:Customers who move to the Sprint Framily Plan cannot carry over the monthly $15 installment billed discount on Unlimited, My Way or My All-in.The One Up customer will maintain the annual upgrade benefit afforded to them under the program (at no additional charge per month) until the end of their current installment billing agreement provided they make their 12 consecutive Installment Agreement payments on time. When the customer elects to take advantage of the annual upgrade, the customer must enter into a new Installment Agreement and giveback current phone under an Installment Agreement. If they would like to keep the annual upgrade option, the customer will need to purchase the $20/month per line unlimited data with annual upgrades buy-up and make 12 consecutive payments to qualify for the next annual upgrade benefit.Customers can be assigned to a new Framily group or join a Framily group on the customer’s existing account that has not reached the 10 line maximum. The line cannot join with groups outside of the customer’s existing account.Go to a Sprint store to change your plan.

If any of you guys are going to do this I wouldn't mind hopping on a group of at least 7. That way I can get a Sim card and put it in my Nexus 5 and try out the network for a few months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would be also interested in joining a group.  I am new 2 sprint (joined 3 weeks ago)

I would be also interested in joining a group. I am new 2 sprint (joined 3 weeks ago)

Existing customers cannot join another existing framily group. You could start one and add new customers. Please correct me if I somehow got it wrong but it's been said in this thread a few times not only by me.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Hmm... this is really interesting and might be the reason I end up back at Sprint rather than MVNOs. Frankly the new device embargo is frustrating.

I am currently on Ting paying ~$40 to $65 depending on the month for my Wife and I's 2 lines (I actually have ~$200 in Ting credit remaining right now from posting a referral link on reddit 4 months ago). I have a Nexus 5 but she has an older EVO3d and is keen to move to an iphone. 

So, my situation looks like this if I join a Framily (ugh that name) and it gets the price down to $25.

(Me)Line 1: $25+$10 (already have a nexus 5 and don't expect to use above 3GB)

(Wife)Line 2: $25+20 (wants an Iphone and also uses a surprising amount of data when we don't govern it with the Ting account tools)

Can someone explain upgrade pricing for that $20 unlimited data? Do I pay the $199 or whatever downpayment and the rest of the cost of the phone is included in that $20 for annual upgrades? If I get her a new iphone a year later do I pay the $199 again?

Thanks guys!

That is total nonsense and also just your opinion. They can't really do that as they would then have to force everyone on the ED1500 and the everything my way plan all the Sero plans all the old old plans the EDRP plan to change there plans.Sprint would go under. And that is not going to happen. Sorry but this is just your opinion.

That is total nonsense and also just your opinion. They can't really do that as they would then have to force everyone on the ED1500 and the everything my way plan to change there plans. And that is not going to happen. Sorry but this is just your opinion.

He works for Sprint IIRC so it's not an opinion. 

What has stopped companies from forcing customers to change before? The end of subsidies at sprint will be coming soon and that is not a opinion. All the changes in policy and changes in market place are leading to it a contract free/subsidy free model.

Hmm... this is really interesting and might be the reason I end up back at Sprint rather than MVNOs. Frankly the new device embargo is frustrating.

I am currently on Ting paying ~$40 to $65 depending on the month for my Wife and I's 2 lines (I actually have ~$200 in Ting credit remaining right now from posting a referral link on reddit 4 months ago). I have a Nexus 5 but she has an older EVO3d and is keen to move to an iphone.

So, my situation looks like this if I join a Framily (ugh that name) and it gets the price down to $25.

(Me)Line 1: $25+$10 (already have a nexus 5 and don't expect to use above 3GB)

(Wife)Line 2: $25+20 (wants an Iphone and also uses a surprising amount of data when we don't govern it with the Ting account tools)

Can someone explain upgrade pricing for that $20 unlimited data? Do I pay the $199 or whatever downpayment and the rest of the cost of the phone is included in that $20 for annual upgrades? If I get her a new iphone a year later do I pay the $199 again?

Thanks guys!

You would be paying that rate only if you have 7 lines or more on a plan

Your cost would be

(50+10) for the nexus

(50+20+21) for the 5s and you want to get insurance for the 5s. Sprint will only take back working non cracked phones with the upgrade. The catch is it must be a Sprint authorized replacement device if something does happen to it.

What has stopped companies from forcing customers to change before? The end of subsidies at sprint will be coming soon and that is not a opinion. All the changes in policy and changes in market place are leading to it a contract free/subsidy free model.

Well till i see it in writing ill just go with it. I have right now a few lines which could upgrade and i am waiting on the next new phone. And i do not see them doing something like this in the next few months. They made this New plan for a reason for people who want to be month to month.

You would be paying that rate only if you have 7 lines or more on a plan

Your cost would be

(50+10) for the nexus

(50+20+21) for the 5s and you want to get insurance for the 5s. Sprint will only take back working non cracked phones with the upgrade. The catch is it must be a Sprint authorized replacement device if something does happen to it.

That would be best case scenario. Well, that is definitely not too great of a deal for me then even after then 23% discount I have through work. So before insurance and taxes:

(25+7.7)

(25+15.4+21) for 94.1 total best case

or

(50+7.7)

(50+15.4+21) for $144.1 worst case.

That is total nonsense and also just your opinion. They can't really do that as they would then have to force everyone on the ED1500 and the everything my way plan all the Sero plans all the old old plans the EDRP plan to change there plans.Sprint would go under. And that is not going to happen. Sorry but this is just your opinion.

They don't have to force you off your old plan to end handset subsidies. The could simply say easy pay or retail are the only way you can buy a phone. Keep what plan you want.