Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

He's not getting calls while on B41 in Covington, KY. Would this be an eCSFB issue?

S4 Mini & Tapatalk

Yes, please report it if possible.

Can you verify that you're connected to B41 and passing data? If so, what happens when you disable LTE?

Yes, please report it if possible.

Can you verify that you're connected to B41 and passing data? If so, what happens when you disable LTE?

Hi there. When I'm connected to B41 I do get data, and oddly enough I can make a phone call, but I cant receive them. I did leave the SCP app and was able to see it switch back and forth between the legacy site and B41 lte, but never did connect to the legacy site and my call would go into voice mail. Also when the phone is on b41 lte and I m9ve away from where I get my signal, there's a big delay in it switching back to 3G, causing my phone to be useless for a minute or so. Hope this info helps.

Hi there. When I'm connected to B41 I do get data, and oddly enough I can make a phone call, but I cant receive them. I did leave the SCP app and was able to see it switch back and forth between the legacy site and B41 lte, but never did connect to the legacy site and my call would go into voice mail. Also when the phone is on b41 lte and I m9ve away from where I get my signal, there's a big delay in it switching back to 3G, causing my phone to be useless for a minute or so. Hope this info helps.

Interesting, but when you make the phone call, does it make the call in roaming or regular calling?

I would go ahead and call care and get a ticket opened on that site. 

Interesting, but when you make the phone call, does it make the call in roaming or regular calling?

I would go ahead and call care and get a ticket opened on that site. 

No, it automatically connects to my voice tower.  I also noticed it does the same with B25, it does the dance thing between LTE and my voice tower, but never connects the call.  The only one I don't have problems with is when I am picking up Band26 lte, I can call the phone and it connects with no problems, under 1x800 though.  I called and placed a ticket, they told me the site I feed off of was being worked on and was not working at full capacity.  I can only assume they are working on getting it Accepted soon, since all the NV equipment has been installed.  They also said they would reimburse me for the time I don't get calls. 

No, it automatically connects to my voice tower.  I also noticed it does the same with B25, it does the dance thing between LTE and my voice tower, but never connects the call.  The only one I don't have problems with is when I am picking up Band26 lte, I can call the phone and it connects with no problems, under 1x800 though.  I called and placed a ticket, they told me the site I feed off of was being worked on and was not working at full capacity.  I can only assume they are working on getting it Accepted soon, since all the NV equipment has been installed.  They also said they would reimburse me for the time I don't get calls. 

Hmmm, ok. Just trying to narrow it down.

To summarize, if you're on B41, and make a call, it drops down to Sprint 1x, not roaming, and completes the call, correct?

If you're on B25 or B26, it also completes said call.

But if you're on B41, and you get an incoming call, it rolls straight to voicemail, unless you're on B25/26?

Hmmm, ok. Just trying to narrow it down.

To summarize, if you're on B41, and make a call, it drops down to Sprint 1x, not roaming, and completes the call, correct?

If you're on B25 or B26, it also completes said call.

But if you're on B41, and you get an incoming call, it rolls straight to voicemail, unless you're on B25/26?

Correct, when I am on B41 I can make a call and it goes right through, connecting to my local site, I can also do that on B25 and B26.  Now yesterday I tried calling my phone when it was on B25 and it wouldn't go through just like B41.  I can only receive calls when connected to B26, that connects me to any of the 1X800 sites that are close to the area.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can the eCSFB issues cause my GS5 to loose a signal completely (no Sprint 3G or roaming) (in an LTE launched market) for about 2 minutes?  This has happened to me multiple times.  And it won't connect to LTE for about 10 minutes (connects to 3G initially).

Can the eCSFB issues cause my GS5 to loose a signal completely (no Sprint 3G or roaming) (in an LTE launched market) for about 2 minutes?  This has happened to me multiple times.  And it won't connect to LTE for about 10 minutes (connects to 3G initially).

Yep, that's normally the case. Does it happen in the same location?

Yep, that's normally the case. Does it happen in the same location?

It didn't use to happen, but now around the same spot on my way home from work, it will look like my connection is getting reset.  I lose voice and data connection for about a minute.  Then it connects to 3G and voice.  Then stays that way for a while.  Then eventually connects to LTE (I'm out of the area where it disconnected by then).

I THINK I've seen this happen while sitting still at work also, but not sure.  I notice it on the way home b/c I'm listening to streaming music when it happens and the music stops.

But if this is caused by eCSFB issues (and not by maybe a defective phone) then I won't bother contacting Sprint about it and just wait for them to fix those issues.

It didn't use to happen, but now around the same spot on my way home from work, it will look like my connection is getting reset.  I lose voice and data connection for about a minute.  Then it connects to 3G and voice.  Then stays that way for a while.  Then eventually connects to LTE (I'm out of the area where it disconnected by then).

I THINK I've seen this happen while sitting still at work also, but not sure.  I notice it on the way home b/c I'm listening to streaming music when it happens and the music stops.

But if this is caused by eCSFB issues (and not by maybe a defective phone) then I won't bother contacting Sprint about it and just wait for them to fix those issues.

I would actually contact Sprint. Don't wait for it to be fixed. Do you have the SprintZone app on your phone? If so, you can report a network issue directly through it.

I would actually contact Sprint. Don't wait for it to be fixed. Do you have the SprintZone app on your phone? If so, you can report a network issue directly through it.

I actually did report it through the SprintZone app.

I'll think about contacting Sprint.

I actually did report it through the SprintZone app.

I'll think about contacting Sprint.

Ok great, that's a start.

Honestly, with the network pains that a lot of people suffer, calling it in or reporting it is the best thing that anyone can do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2:00 today, me and 4 other Sprint users were at the Chick-Fil-A in Katy, TX next to the mall.

And I am not sure that an experience at Christian-fil-A in Katy, TX is a representative sample of the Sprint network or a rational rebuttal to e/CSFB.

Here is what we know.  Sources told us that SVLTE would not continue with tri band handsets.  We initially disputed that contention, but it has long since proved to be accurate.  Single RF path, e/CSFB handsets are here to stay -- because they better align with SoftBank's economy of scale and keep CDMA2000 from being an albatross around Sprint's neck.  They also are known to be superior RF performers -- due to the LTE idle state and the lack of power reduction or intermodulation issues from simultaneous airlinks.

Now, you can argue about the LTE scan timer issue.  But that is a handset programming concern.  And it can be addressed by placing the handset in LTE only mode.

AJ

And I am not sure that an experience at Christian-fil-A in Katy, TX is a representative sample of the Sprint network or a rational rebuttal to e/CSFB.

Here is what we know.  Sources told us that SVLTE would not continue with tri band handsets.  We initially disputed that contention, but it has long since proved to be accurate.  Single RF path, e/CSFB handsets are here to stay -- because they better align with SoftBank's economy of scale and keep CDMA2000 from being an albatross around Sprint's neck.  They also are known to be superior RF performers -- due to the LTE idle state and the lack of power reduction or intermodulation issues from simultaneous airlinks.

Now, you can argue about the LTE scan timer issue.  But that is a handset programming concern.  And it can be addressed by placing the handset in LTE only mode.

AJ

I am seeing about the same thing in Shentel territory with a Galaxy S-5.  The LTE is very good here and I rarely lose the connection, but  if I do, it goes to 3G and it is almost impossible to get LTE back without an Airplane toggle.   Something is not right.

I have seen other people complain about it. 

After coming out of the mountain where I lost LTE, I was sitting within 1000 feet of a cell site in an area with no obstructions and the phone sits on 3G for twenty minutes. I could actually see the antennas on the cell site.  I get tired of this so I do the toggle and have LTE at a -84 level.  Something is broke. I was not streaming or otherwise using data except for the normal mail checks, etc. Everything works fine if I do not lose the LTE somehow.  Hand-off between sites, even between Band 25 & 26 work well.

• Like 3

AJ

I'm just sharing my observations. This happens all around Katy, the location was just where we were at the time. I don't have the same problems in Overland Park.

I agree that having a Single RF path is superior, but Sprint's implementation so far has been a nightmare in certain areas. The LTE scan timer should be set to scan every 5 minutes when on native Sprint CDMA, EVEN IF there is an active 3G data session. Having brief interruptions on 3G would be far less worse than being stuck with, and I quote from what others call, "The ******* spinning 3G circle."

• Like 2

I am seeing about the same thing in Shentel territory with a Galaxy S-5.  The LTE is very good here and I rarely lose the connection, but  if I do, it goes to 3G and it is almost impossible to get LTE back without an Airplane toggle.   Something is not right.

I have seen other people complain about it. 

After coming out of the mountain where I lost LTE, I was sitting within 1000 feet of a cell site in an area with no obstructions and the phone sits on 3G for twenty minutes. I could actually see the antennas on the cell site.  I get tired of this so I do the toggle and have LTE at a -84 level.  Something is broke. I was not streaming or otherwise using data except for the normal mail checks, etc. Everything works fine if I do not lose the LTE somehow.  Hand-off between sites, even between Band 25 & 26 work well.

I'm just sharing my observations. This happens all around Katy, the location was just where we were at the time. I don't have the same problems in Overland Park.

I agree that having a Single RF path is superior, but Sprint's implementation so far has been a nightmare in certain areas. The LTE scan timer should be set to scan every 5 minutes when on native Sprint CDMA, EVEN IF there is an active 3G data session. Having brief interruptions on 3G would be far less worse than being stuck with, and I quote from what others call, "The ******* spinning 3G circle."

All I can say is this.  If you are obsessed with being on LTE 24/7 everywhere -- even within the established coverage footprint -- good luck.  That is not going to be the case for years, maybe another decade.  eHRPD fallback is going to happen.  So, deal with it, or go find another provider -- and hope for the best.  At least in the Kansas market, eHRPD fallback is hardly the shitstorm it is made out to be.  Because of the traffic now running over LTE, eHRPD is just as usable as LTE for real world purposes -- absent the e-penis speed tests.

AJ

All I can say is this.  If you are obsessed with being on LTE 24/7 everywhere -- even within the established coverage footprint -- good luck.  That is not going to be the case for years, maybe another decade.  eHRPD fallback is going to happen.  So, deal with it, or go find another provider -- and hope for the best.  At least in the Kansas market, eHRPD fallback is hardly the shitstorm it is made out to be.  Because of the traffic now running over LTE, eHRPD is just as usable as LTE for real world purposes -- absent the e-penis speed tests.

AJ

I don't care what I'm connected to, this is about having working data. Users are sitting on a 3G connection that is so overburdened, it times out. At the same time, nearly empty B26 and B41 connections are available. Sprint is fantastic for me as I provider, and I don't mind toggling airplane mode. 

I'm talking about how the Sprint network is performing in other areas I've been to, and how the user experience could be immensely improved if something was implemented to move the phones over to LTE more often. When a phone is sitting on a table idle for 30 minutes or more with it's screen off, there is no reason it should stay on an overburdened 3G when unburdened LTE is available.

Why not scan for LTE every 5 minutes when connected to Sprint CDMA when the screen is off? Or initiate a scan for LTE immediately when the screen is turned on?

• Like 1

I don't care what I'm connected to, this is about having working data. Users are sitting on a 3G connection that is so overburdened, it times out. At the same time, nearly empty B26 and B41 connections are available. Sprint is fantastic for me as I provider, and I don't mind toggling airplane mode. 

I'm talking about how the Sprint network is performing in other areas I've been to, and how the user experience could be immensely improved if something was implemented to move the phones over to LTE more often. When a phone is sitting on a table idle for 30 minutes or more with it's screen off, there is no reason it should stay on an overburdened 3G signal when unburdened LTE signal is available.

Why not scan for LTE every 5 minutes when connected to Sprint CDMA when the screen is off? Or initiate a scan for LTE immediately when the screen is turned on?

Do I need to say it more clearly?  The Katy, TX network is inadequate.  The area has outgrown the site spacing.  Locals have told us so.  Please do not use that as an example.  It is just cherry picking bad experiences.  Your Overland Park, KS experiences speak to the contrary.  Absent nationalization, wireless will never be consistent from market to market.

AJ