Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

Isn't true that C\U and other places Central IL are US Cellular or formerly were US Cellular. I remember reading that Sprint would get the spectrum but no tower equipment. So maybe it really is Sprint under the guise of Us Cellular.

Here are the details from us cellular.

http://www.uscellular.com/about/press-room/2012/USCellular-to-Sell-Select-Midwest-Markets-to-Sprint.html

It looks like the kept the towers but they are all there to service sprint. (and any of their customers that wonder into the Midwest) 

Looks like good news for us Sprint users! 

I'm seeing plenty of 800 coverage on campus (409 Chalmers) and SW Champaign (Country Fair, S Mattis towers). Campus towers seem to be EV-DO still; seeing eHRPD in the other locations. Still waiting for LTE, but just wanted to comment that 1X 800 seems to be live in a bunch of places. No idea how recent that is-- I just installed SignalCheck Pro recently.

Does anyone know status of the two towers north of Champaign along I-57 near Paxton, IL and the one north of that? I'll be at Bayle's Lake and curious what to expect if 800 has been rolled out there yet.

You can check out Sensorly for coverage.   I don't know about 800 but the Paxton tower and the one just north of there have been pumping 4g for many months.   You can get 5-15 Mbps on I -57.   The lake is very close but trees could really knock down the signal,  if it is not 800.  Let us know how it goes.   Even better put the Sensorly app on your phone and map your trip! 

Edited by Phil

Isn't true that C\U and other places Central IL are US Cellular or formerly were US Cellular. I remember reading that Sprint would get the spectrum but no tower equipment. So maybe it really is Sprint under the guise of Us Cellular.

Us celluar still has spectrum in c/u and springfield. They didnt sell it all to sprint, see link http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-334-updated-sprint-uscc-spectrum-deal-sprint-gets-20-mhz-broader-in-the-city-of-broad-shoulders/. scroll down a litle and a chart shows that uscc had 40 mhz in c/u and gave only 20 of that to sprint. In springfield, uscc had 30 and only gave 20 to sprint. So they still have some pcs

Champaign update....Not sure what changed but,  Sensorly shows new 4g data at the Market place mall (2.4 Mbps) , farther East on Springfield(to prodpect) , and farther South on Mattis (7.15 Mbps close to Kirby and Mattis).   I will  check area later today. 

• Like 1

I'll check out the Kirby and Mattis area tonight since I do deliveries around that area. It's always nice to have my phone display LTE, but it is a S3, so only 1900 LTE I believe and it seems to not have as good of an antenna as my younger brother's Note II.

I work downtown champaign nothing but, I am in a building.   What part of downtown?   I also checked southwest champaign around 3pm yesterday also no 4g.  Is it possible that it works better in the dark (joke) or maybe they are testing at off peak time to get everything ready?   I did notice the new readings happen after 5pm.

I work downtown champaign nothing but, I am in a building. What part of downtown? I also checked southwest champaign around 3pm yesterday also no 4g. Is it possible that it works better in the dark (joke) or maybe they are testing at off peak time to get everything ready? I did notice the new readings happen after 5pm.

They must be testing I only had it for a short time. I'm on Washington and Randolph. But I have noticed 3g speeds are much faster at night I'm getting 2mbs. And southwest part of town I turn airplane mode on and off to get 4g. Phone doesn't switch over right away

The 3g is better in many parts of CU.   I have tests over 2Mbps.  Good to see progress but this is the 3g we should have had for years.   Now waiting for more 4g towers to be connected. 

Does anyone know, or can anyone explain what CDMAEVDORevA is? Just noticed this on a Speed test this afternoon in Urbana?!? It's always shown something different.......... 9ydyhy7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What timeframe do you think sprint spark will come to the Peoria IL. area?

Check to see if any permits for "2.5 equipment deployment" are out there at the local level.

That's a good starting point.

And the tower on Harris isn't sprint. Best way to check is read the sign on it. It will have the letters ch on it we are considered southern Chicago market.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If not Sprint then who? I was just wondering when I posted the pictures of the hardware; (The other user indicated that it was Sprint.) It all looks like the Samsung stuff Sprint uses. (Based on pictures from this website. ) Are other carriers deploying similar looking hardware in this area?

The pictures of said site are indeed of Sprint equipment. There is nothing else out there that looks anything like Samsung's NV equipment that has been deployed in your area.

Is it possible that it works better in the dark (joke)

It's actually not a joke, it's a real thing. Solar interference kills radio signals, and often times you will connect to more distant sites after sunset. I notice it all the time.

I've talked to multiple sprint reps in different departments. They have no new tower builds in our area of champaign. These towers don't show on any sprint maps. And on the signs there is no sprint informationattachicon.gif20140622_175710.jpg

There are several Sprint towers in Champaign, IL. However, whoever the backhaul provider there is, hasn't been doing a good job of getting it to the sites. It seems like all of the sites have completed their upgrades on the 3G side of things and are now waiting for LTE. Hopefully, it'll get done soon.

AT&T is the landline provider in Champaign. That said, Sprint could also use the gigabit network recently built in Champaign as well.

Isn't that the whole conflict of interest thing again, why would ATT do any sort of expedited job on helping Sprint build out its LTE network which competes with its own core business.  The backhaul delays are literally predictable.  If I was ATT I would just make up reasons why I can't get things up and running on time and just slap Sprint with delay after delay.