Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

Hi. I'm new here. Anyways. Quincy il has upgrades going on. I called sprint. They said they were supposed to be done last night by 7pm. Anyways. Still have 3g. With the 4g kicking on and off at night. But it hasn't done that in a while. So I'm assuming the tower closest to my house is done. Does anyone have any input on this area. Thanks.

Physical upgrades have been completed in Quincy. The LTE you are picking up is likely coming from across the river from the Missouri market. There are LTE upgraded sites there, and signals can be thrown quite a distance under the right conditions. Late at night and early morning are ideal for picking up signals from a distance. Unfortunately, despite the upgraded equipment being in place, the company that provides the high speed internet connection (backhaul) hasn't shown up in Quincy yet. Sprint likely contracted CenturyLink for the city, and CenturyLink has been one of the worst providers, causing massive delays in certain areas to Sprint's LTE rollout. This means that the completed towers will continue to sit and pump out slow 3G until that backhaul arrives. And we really don't have any idea when that might happen.

Most of the information you'll get from first level reps on the phone isn't all the accurate. Either they don't know what they are looking at, are looking at the wrong thing, or just make things up. That's just the way call centers are. Sometimes you do get someone knowledgeable, but they are generally few and far between.

If you're interested in more detailed market information, as well as site locations, and upgrad status, you might consider making a donation. S4GRU is non-profit and completely member supported so we don't have to splash ads all over. For more information, see this thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

:welc::tu:

I thought that tower was done I get lte out there

Not sure which tower you are refering to - I mentioned 2.  However, Based on the sensorly data (darker purple = stronger) the only tower running 4g at this time is the one on Bradley (west of 57).  In far south Champaign (Curtis and further south) you can get 4G from the tower along I-57 and south of Tolono.

Without access to permits, no one can say for sure. However Samsung is actively deploying their 8T8R Band 41 antennas in city and metro areas. They are trying to get to as many sites as possible before the end of the year.

For more information, see the 8T8R thread in the Premier section.

Sprint says that 4g LTE is about to launch in Campaign because it shows it on their updated map on their site.

• Like 1

I just saw that on the coverage maps! Awesome!! Hopefully within the next few days! :)

Sprint says that 4g LTE is about to launch in Campaign because it shows it on their updated map on their site.

Don't get too excited. We believe the maps are now showing LTE coverage from any site that has been completed, not just launched markets. And given how overly optimistic their maps are, what you see is probably their representation of the LTE coverage that already exists. Don't expect any major changes in actual LTE coverage this week. Unless a new site happens to go live near you, which would be a happy coincidence.

Sent from my LG G3

Don't get too excited. We believe the maps are now showing LTE coverage from any site that has been completed, not just launched markets. And given how overly optimistic their maps are, what you see is probably their representation of the LTE coverage that already exists. Don't expect any major changes in actual LTE coverage this week. Unless a new site happens to go live near you, which would be a happy coincidence.

Sent from my LG G3

I already have LTE where I live I was just saying that Sprint's LTE coverage map now shows Champaign under it now. 

I've had 4G blinking on and off all morning. Got it for about 15 minutes in downtown Champaign at about 4:30 a.m. I'm hoping they'll fire it all up real soon. I've been waiting 2-3 months for about 6 years now. We did have that one 4G WiMax tower on South Neil.....