Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

I just drove by South Mattis tower.   I don't think it is 4G yet.   I think that signal is from the Springfield Ave tower.     South Neil tower is not yet hooked up to fiber.   Downtown Champaign and campus are not on yet.   

I think you are right on both!   The sprint tower map shows both locations (downtown Champaign and campus)  have a new upgrade.   sensorly shows some high signal strength by both locations.   I hope to drive by both areas soon and check speeds!   It looks like the are only 2 towers left to be turned on in Champaign - Urbana.   South Mattis and South Neil.  (the two closest to me :(

Sorry if this dupes a prior post. Don't know if it went through or my browser just went schizo. Typing this all in a memo and will cut and paste.

Springfield map now shows LTE nearly everywhere (very optimistic). I can get mostly LTE coverage from (southwest corner) of Jefferson and Walnut to (northwest corner in Sherman) of Veterans Parkway and I-55 on my new LG G3.

Still really spotty through downtown proper, much better on parkways and interstate.

Map (at detail level) shows most coverage as 'FAIR' where I can find nothing or very little LTE.

Keeping fingers crossed that coverage will actually catch up to map (and maybe surpass it).

For those of you that travel to Saint Louis, Spark is nearly everywhere. Have gotten speeds in some places outdoors that are faster than my home network (25 Mbps vs 16 Mbps).

Drove around downtown Champaign... Strong signals!   However,  speeds were only 2-5 Mbps.(at least 10 times faster than 3G).  It also looks like the tower at market and I-57 is 4G also. 

I got Spark in Pekin today I was sitting in Walmart and Menard's parking lot and got a download speed of 47mbs download with one bar of service.

• Like 2

I got Spark in Pekin today I was sitting in Walmart and Menard's parking lot and got a download speed of 47mbs download with one bar of service.

Do you have an engineering screenshot or signal check screen shot?

Sent from my iPhone 6

Do you have an engineering screenshot or signal check screen shot?

Sent from my iPhone 6

No I will try to get one but I was looking at the Signal Check Pro. Pekin Usually has very high LTE speeds on 1900 LTE but that only usually gets to 32 Mbs I have never reached 40+ Mbs before. Also it was at 1 bar of service which was weird in itself because the tower isn't even a quarter mile from Menards. But I will try to get a signal Pro screen shot for you guys. This was also on an HTC One Max.

Austin

No I will try to get one but I was looking at the Signal Check Pro. Pekin Usually has very high LTE speeds on 1900 LTE but that only usually gets to 32 Mbs I have never reached 40+ Mbs before. Also it was at 1 bar of service which was weird in itself because the tower isn't even a quarter mile from Menards. But I will try to get a signal Pro screen shot for you guys. This was also on an HTC One Max.

Austin

It probably means they are testing the tower and it is a low power setting. I am glad to here you guys are finally getting the speeds you deserve, central Illinois has been hit with bad data speeds for way to long.

It probably means they are testing the tower and it is a low power setting. I am glad to here you guys are finally getting the speeds you deserve, central Illinois has been hit with bad data speeds for way to long.

Where I live the speeds are pretty decent the speeds in Pekin near Walmart are consistent at 25 to 30 Mbs. But downtown Pekin the tower only gets about 5 Mbs. Morton Both of its towers hit 25 to 30 Mbs all the time. Some locations in Peoria are good by the Metro Center that tower hits about the 15 to 20 mark. Bloomington is good but the signals are weak at Heartland's Campus. I cant complain Sprint is pretty good to what I have heard from other portions of the United States but they could just be whiners also.

• 4 weeks later...

Quincy has been mapped by me with 3G, 4G is non existent even when Sprint updated the maps for 4G. Only across Taylor where the bridge is on HW 24 has a 4G Tower that radiates into downtown to only the unemployment office parking lot. Strange because Taylor, MO not great of a location to test. Sensorly 4G areas in Quincy proved false or turned off for 4G when tested every quarter. LTE is everywhere for AT&T in Quincy (I'm mapping it by myself). Verizon Allset plan (difference coverage map for prepaid) completely roams with 1xx. Unless post paid has roaming with USCC. Sprint 3G speeds are around .2-.4 down and .5 up usually. North side of Quincy has a tower that is able to have 3G going up to 2-4Mbs. Macomb has it good because of Western IL college with Sprint 4G. Also in Mt. Sterling as well. Springfield has various areas of 3G not completely all set up for 4G or even Spark. 

Although going down south to St. Louis it has a very good Sprint Spark signal down the highway. But not very fast. probably around 2mbps. The reason why Quincy and surroundings is not moving forward is because USCC has a partner that they have license to operate the spectrum in the area. Tmobile just has like two towers to just maintain their license doesn't really upgrade their tower in the area. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have Conformation that Pekin Does Have A Spark enabled tower. I have Screen Shots and they are quite good. 

post-19874-0-81000300-1415950725_thumb.png

post-19874-0-54659500-1415950873_thumb.png

post-19874-0-66011400-1415950886_thumb.png

post-19874-0-95362400-1415950894_thumb.png

post-19874-0-12233500-1415950898_thumb.png

• Like 1

Quincy has been mapped by me with 3G, 4G is non existent even when Sprint updated the maps for 4G. Only across Taylor where the bridge is on HW 24 has a 4G Tower that radiates into downtown to only the unemployment office parking lot. Strange because Taylor, MO not great of a location to test.

None of the sites in Quincy currently have LTE. All the equipment is in place for LTE, the thing lacking is enhanced backhaul (fiber) that has yet to be delivered by the contracted ISP. Likely CenturyLink, as they have been the absolute slowest in many markets to deliver on their contracts. Any LTE you are picking up is coming from the Missouri market sites on the other side of the river. Different markets have different backhaul contracts, which is why LTE came online faster in Missouri.

East Peoria, Downtown Peoria, and Morton have Sprint Spark. Most of these speedtest were done at the Kholes Parking lot

post-19874-0-64420400-1416111665_thumb.png

post-19874-0-24141600-1416111669_thumb.png

post-19874-0-82842700-1416111671_thumb.png

post-19874-0-00588100-1416111676_thumb.png

post-19874-0-12234800-1416111686_thumb.png

post-19874-0-27288700-1416111697_thumb.png

post-19874-0-85636600-1416111705_thumb.png

• Like 2