Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

They will probably need to shut individual towers down as they upgrade. Service will degrade some when they do that. When Shentel was replacing equipment here, calls dropped quite often. Once the work is done though, it'll be worth it.

Sent from my Note 4.

Yeah, I hope they develop a better communications plan. I think Sprint really dropped the ball communicating the network rebuilding during the first year or two of NV.

• Like 1

First of all i am not venting ... secondly i have posted improvements i have noticed.. and last please stop attacking my posts... i am simply stating my opinion

I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that some of your posts (opinion or not) are not related to network upgrades (ie. "they better have LTE by end of my contract etc etc.). Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's my opinion.

• Like 1

They will probably need to shut individual towers down as they upgrade. Service will degrade some when they do that. When Shentel was replacing equipment here, calls dropped quite often. Once the work is done though, it'll be worth it.

Sent from my Note 4.

I noticed the same in Shentel-territory early on.

Likewise, I noticed some dropping back to 1X around Charlottesville recently as others have described elsewhere in nTelos-land.

I posted the comment about when sprint will get it a week or so ago so welcome to the game late there bud... i am also getting tired of your negative comments directed toward me... if it keeps up i will alert the moderator..

I posted the comment about when sprint will get it a week or so ago so welcome to the game late there bud... i am also getting tired of your negative comments directed toward me... if it keeps up i will alert the moderator..

"The moderator" is already aware. Please keep posts on topic.

• Like 3

Excuse my ignorance...Does Sprint use nTelos for coverage along I-81 through Virginia? I'll be driving that way soon, and noticed Sprint has zero towers along most of I-81 in Virginia, but they have 3G/LTE coverage on their maps.

Excuse my ignorance...Does Sprint use nTelos for coverage along I-81 through Virginia? I'll be driving that way soon, and noticed Sprint has zero towers along most of I-81 in Virginia, but they have 3G/LTE coverage on their maps.

Which direction are you heading? If you are taking 81 south through Harrisonburg to Tennessee expect ntelos pain until Glade Spring, VA.

**Well JohnnyP beat me, safe travels**

• Like 1

From the northern border to south of Harrisonburg is provided by Shentel. From that ppint to Tennessee it is provided by nTelos.

Actually I believe you switch back to corporate coverage on I-81 around Atkins, west of Wytheville/I-77 (when you leave nTelosLand for the vestigal "Southern Virginia" market), although I don't think that area is upgraded yet. You should be able to catch LTE again about 30 minutes east of Bristol.

EDIT: Sensorly is showing some LTE along I-81 near Lexington in nTelosLand, but it might very well be a mapping error, or have been reported by an nTelos device erroneously recorded as Sprint.

• Like 1

Actually I believe you switch back to corporate coverage on I-81 around Atkins, west of Wytheville/I-77 (when you leave nTelosLand for the vestigal "Southern Virginia" market), although I don't think that area is upgraded yet. You should be able to catch LTE again about 30 minutes east of Bristol.

EDIT: Sensorly is showing some LTE along I-81 near Lexington in nTelosLand, but it might very well be a mapping error, or have been reported by an nTelos device erroneously recorded as Sprint.

Drove through that area on 81 near Lexington over the Christmas Holiday,  and there was nothing to report just norm slowness of nTelos 3G.

I do know that there first Sprint tower in Atkins just recently lit up 3G. It used to be 1x, albiet fast 1x since I'd wager very few people were in the cell on it, but still 1x. So glad that's 3G now!

Rumor du jour - corporate store (seemingly knowledgeable) rep says that nTelos is to be sold by November. Also, he claims that only Sprint can purchase assets here (ie, west of Richmond) due to spectrum. Some nTelos stores here in C'ville are closing.

Discuss among yourselves. :-)

Sent from my Tapatalk 4.9.5 :-D

• Like 1

2014 4th quarter results

http://content.stockpr.com/ntelos/db/Presentations/1294/pdf/Investor+Presentation.pdf

https://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/811/7331

Expects to bill Sprint about $140 million in 2015 for roaming.  Total western revenue for 2014 was $360 million.

Can sign wholesale agreements with firms other than Sprint

Q & A starts at 22:27

Has agency agreement with Sprint where they get referral bounty for customers switching to Sprint.  I believe this is just for eastern market because it is referred to as winding down. Coordinated effort.  Next seven to nine months.  Biggest advantage for Ntelos is that the customers migrate to Sprint.

Plans on using 800 primarily for better building coverage -- does not expect increased coverage.

Primary competition is Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

Main impediments to LTE build out are structural issues. It is all hands on deck. Main priority.

Also covered here: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/ntelos-reports-improved-traction-western-markets-aims-cover-50-customers-lt/2015-02-26

Edited by dkyeager
  • Like 3

A buddy of mine is w/ nTelos here in Lynchburg and says he's seen LTE pop on and off a couple of times (very short intervals) over the last few weeks.  Odd to me since I haven't seen any other mention of it.  If he wasn't a IT Dev I would have thought he just didn't know what he was talking about....has anyone else seen flickers around the Roanoke/Lynchburg/Cville market?

Edited by Tfalwell