Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I got a question about the LTE strength I have with ntelos. What should the range be on the signal before it is to weak to be usable? My phone has one bar of lte it is useless up to two or three it is still unusable. I in Roanoke, va where is have been launched for a few months now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a question about the LTE strength I have with ntelos. What should the range be on the signal before it is to weak to be usable? My phone has one bar of lte it is useless up to two or three it is still unusable. I in Roanoke, va where is have been launched for a few months now

The site could just have heavy traffic connected to it. Try to use the same site after midnight and see what kind of speeds you pull from it then.

One thing I haven't heard much talk about on this thread is HD Voice. Is nTelos even bothering with it or is it unknown? Calls here in Beckley sound pretty nice most of the time it's a noticeable improvement recently.

Hd voice was on in ashland for about a week in December. Haven't seen anything else since. It's a big difference in quality.

I'm confused i thought everything was already worked out

As covered above, there is the overall agreement, which includes penalties for not making targets. 

These things also take time.  The FCC just approved Sprint leasing spectrum to nTelos last week (which was applied for in December).  You can check to see what equipment is installed at your favorite nTelos sites (post photos)

• Like 1

One thing I haven't heard much talk about on this thread is HD Voice. Is nTelos even bothering with it or is it unknown? Calls here in Beckley sound pretty nice most of the time it's a noticeable improvement recently. 

I have made a total of about 3 or 4 HD Voice calls to other sprint users in the nTelos area in Ch'ville/Albemarle county areas. Ranging from Dec. of last year to about early March. 

The other half of my Everything plan (who lives in Charlottesville) tells me he's had weird text delayed-delivery and calling issues (like others have mentioned above) the past couple of days... I smell something in the air, and it's not just the spring flowers!

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been doing a LOT of roaming on US Cellular for the past 10 days, regardless of LTE/CDMA or CDMA Only in mobile settings. At other times, it's solid nTelos as before.

Wondering how long this will go on . . .

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been doing a LOT of roaming on US Cellular for the past 10 days, regardless of LTE/CDMA or CDMA Only in mobile settings. At other times, it's solid nTelos as before.

Wondering how long this will go on . . .

I was wondering the same thing been doing a lot of roaming on US Cellular as well for about two weeks as well in both Albemarle and Greene. 

Well, well. Thanks to my wife's sending me to the recycling center, I saw this on the way. Very large tower next to Dominion Power across from Whole Foods in C'ville being worked on. It appears they are removing panels, and that's all I know. Here's hoping it's nTelos finally doing something with their network here!e6204bbcbee4476be32b83972a5c4df1.jpg447a91b7895d9b0fdfcac25448ba76f0.jpg0319a33be696d75219e14b7d473c92a3.jpg

• Like 1

Well, well. Thanks to my wife's sending me to the recycling center, I saw this on the way. Very large tower next to Dominion Power across from Whole Foods in C'ville being worked on. It appears they are removing panels, and that's all I know. Here's hoping it's nTelos finally doing something with their network here! 

[Pictures]

Been looking at the photos.  Will need more to be certain.  Most of the time you can talk to the contractors and they will tell you.  Called in Limotimz, who believes the top rack is Verizon, the bottom is AT&T.  That leaves the middle.  The equipment they are working on is ALU, which nTelos is contracted with, but Verizon now also uses.  Site is in the wholesale market zone, meaning it will at some point in the near future be Sprint compliant.  I would expect to see remote Radio Heads mounted next to the antennas for a Sprint compliant setup in most cases.

In my research on that tower, I concluded that Verizon, T-Mobile, and US Cellular were the companies on it.  AT&T and Nextel were on a nearby utility pole (behind the recycling center) but the two were so close together that AT&T and T-Mobile could have been reversed.  nTelos was on a different utility pole near the off-ramp from US-250 East onto Grove Road.

My guess is that it's US Cellular.

- Trip

• Like 2

Thanks, Trip. You know, I was so close to double-checking on your Rabbit Ears map before posting, but was just too excited! You're referring to tower #1 on the C'ville filter of your map.

Oh, well . . .

Sent from Tapatalk on either my HTC One M9 or Tab4 10.1, it kinda depends

The numbers aren't necessarily specific depending on what you search for and whatnot.  The location named "The Meadows" covers all three of the specific towers I pointed out.

- Trip

This also confirms what I have seen in one other report, that the nTelos site identification codes are two letters for the town plus three numbers, which is what you should look for if you go to look at a site. This is no guarantee that it will be there, but you often see the carrier's number, but the carrier's name is only mentioned in some cases. Electric meters sometimes have the names listed as well. Then you will be certain about your possible site.