Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Has anyone heard firsthand accounts from nTelos customers as to the performance of the LTE network in those existing 4 markets? What kinds of speeds are they seeing and how comprehensive is the coverage in the existing markets?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

There was a post a while back of a screenshot from an nTelos Moto X pulling around 20 down and 7 up I think. Comparable to Sprint's speeds. I would assume coverage would be about the same as 3G maybe slightly less indoors.

Has anyone heard firsthand accounts from nTelos customers as to the performance of the LTE network in those existing 4 markets? What kinds of speeds are they seeing and how comprehensive is the coverage in the existing markets?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

My wife's phone pulls about 12mb down and 3mb up in the Beckley market.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Nothing new, but here 'tis anyway:

Amber: Hello! My name is Amber in the nTelos Care Center. How may I help you?

you: Hi, Amber!

you: I'm interested in the upgrade of nTelos' netowkr to 4G, particularly in the charlottesville area

you: *network*

Amber: I will be happy to help you with that!

Amber: Thanks for asking! nTelos has already launched 4G LTE in select markets, and our Network Team is busy working to cover 70% of our network with 4G LTE by year-end. Would you like to sign up to receive news about network enhancements in your neighborhood? http://www.ntelos.com/lp/4gLTE-signup

you: What can you tell me about the time frame?

Amber: I apologize, I do not have a specific time frame for you at this time. However, we have recently released that Sprint will be allowing our customers to use their 4G/LTE towers coming in the near future.

you: Will sprint customers be allowed to enjoy 4G on nTelos' network?

Amber: Yes, Sprint customers will be able to use 4G from nTelos towers as well.

you: Thanks! Even though I'm a Sprint customer, I've signed up to receive news about network upgrades. I hope that's OK.

you: that is, nTelos network upgrades

Amber: Yes, any one is able to sign up for the network upgrades. Just be aware, this is not available at this time but to come in the future.

you: Any idea if Charlottesville is part of the 70% of your network that's to be completed by year's end?

Amber: We are not given that information I apologize, we are only made aware of tower updates as they become available.

you: OK. thanks for the info on signing up for updates. I appreciate that.

Amber: You are welcome, Is there anything else I can help you with today?

you: No, thanks.

you: Bye

*still sighing*

It seems to me that if literally 70% of their network will be LTE by year end, Charlottesville will be among what gets done as will Danville. It suggests to me that probably since Sprint is winding down their own LTE efforts, a lot of the people doing the work are probably getting passed to this project and the 70% represents the stuff where backhaul and other complications aren't going to be an issue. 

• Like 1

Just heard from local Sprint (corporate) store that C'ville is slated for July LTE rollout. I'm too jaded at this point to be too excited; saving that for when I see it on my phone!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm from Columbus Ohio but this summer i plan on doing some white water rafting down the New River. has anyone experienced Sprint service in the Charleston/Oak Hill/Fayetteville areas recently? If so, is it just 3G or have they unofficially launched LTE yet?

I'm from Columbus Ohio but this summer i plan on doing some white water rafting down the New River. has anyone experienced Sprint service in the Charleston/Oak Hill/Fayetteville areas recently? If so, is it just 3G or have they unofficially launched LTE yet?

3G only but I believe the 3G was improved to NV speeds last time I was in Oak Hill and Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will know about Fayetteville NC at the end of next month when I travel down to Fl from VA but I was wondering the same thing. 

I will know about Fayetteville NC at the end of next month when I travel down to Fl from VA but I was wondering the same thing.

I believe he was talking about Fayetteville WV. NC is covered by Sprint not nTelos.

I will know about Fayetteville NC 

I mean Fayetteville, west virginia and Chaleston, West Virginia.

Are Charleston, Oak Hill, and Fayetteville all covered by Sprint or Netelos?

Oak Hill may or may not be a part of the Beckley rollout of 4G. I haven't been there in ages -- I don't often get north of Princeton. Even if it is, there's the little issue of turning 4G on for us Sprint users. That has to be coming soon. Perhaps July 1 will be the magic date as it would be the start of the next quarter for at least most businesses and therefore a convenient time for billing and such.

• Like 2

sa9u3yhe.jpgSo, my data connection is quite wonky this AM. It was fine driving to work and streaming music. However, since in the office, Signal Check lists it as "Inactive", despite having a good 1x and EVDO connection. I've had Mobile networks set to LTE/CDMA without issue the last few days. I even tried setting it back to CDMA Only, but no difference: same 1x/EVDO connection on Signal Check and "Inactive". Other times, I'm getting "3G" via 1x and data is "Active". Signal Check variable shows EVDO even when data is "Connected to 1xRTT". The connection seems to come and go at will, so I'm assuming they're working on the tower serving me. Hopefully, this means that LTE is finally coming to C'ville!

sa9u3yhe.jpgSo, my data connection is quite wonky this AM. It was fine driving to work and streaming music. However, since in the office, Signal Check lists it as "Inactive", despite having a good 1x and EVDO connection. I've had Mobile networks set to LTE/CDMA without issue the last few days. I even tried setting it back to CDMA Only, but no difference: same 1x/EVDO connection on Signal Check and "Inactive". Other times, I'm getting "3G" via 1x and data is "Active". Signal Check variable shows EVDO even when data is "Connected to 1xRTT". The connection seems to come and go at will, so I'm assuming they're working on the tower serving me. Hopefully, this means that LTE is finally coming to C'ville!

I've noticed that to both in Albemarle County and Greene. Mine tries to connect to eHRPD (usually 2 - 3xs a day) then lose connection for a min or two then it switches back to evdo/1x for the rest of the day depending on where I'm at.

• Like 1

Had issues as well, called Sprint this morning and got the usual.

I'd love to believe its tower work but iI'm more inclined to believe it was due to the storm last night.

I have more faith in the weather than LTE.

Things have been weird in Danville the past few days. I think it is tower work, particularly since I just got the telltale network upgrade soon email today. Where is the site that used to show me the towers they have recently been touching? Did they turn it off? I am getting redirected I think. 

Things have been weird in Danville the past few days. I think it is tower work, particularly since I just got the telltale network upgrade soon email today. Where is the site that used to show me the towers they have recently been touching? Did they turn it off? I am getting redirected I think.

If you're talking about the one through Sprint, nTelos upgrades wouldn't show up and I thought I read that those upgrades aren't Network Vision upgrades anyway. Just normal maintenance that Ericsson or whoever has to do.

• Like 1

Was told today by a Sprint rep that LTE is coming in July for the Charlottesville area.

Well that makes 2 reports of Sprint saying it's coming there next month. Maybe nTelos will just authorize Sprint users along with the next launch of LTE markets.

• Like 2

I don't want to rain on a parade, and to be fair the agreement wasn't in place then, but I had been told by several reps back in November that C'ville would see LTE in Feb.

I hate to say it but I just don't believe they are given any real information. I WANT to be wrong, believe me.

A sprint retail rep attends our church. If I remember I'll ask her if she has any news.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-to-expand-4g-lte-roaming-through-12-new-agreements-with-carriers-covering-a-population-of-over-34-million.htm?view_id=7008

So looks like 11 other carries have signed a deal to share LTE with Sprint customers. It's nice that they're signing these deals but uh... When will we FINALLY have access? Things seem all talk, nothing more. ):

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2