LG G Flex LS995

MacinJosh

Our LG rep came into the store in Madison today and had a G Flex on him that he let me check out. It feels every bit as big as what I thought it would be due to the 6" screen but it did feel really zippy and fast as expected. 

To me it feels like a curved G2 with a big display which is good and bad. I really don't need a phone that big but some people do, so I get it.

Personally I wouldn't use one but for someone who doesn't want a Samsung phablet I would recommend them to try this one out. We'll see longevity wise how it holds up to being dropped and what not.

My only problem with LG's timing of the G Flex is that LG is rumored to come out with their sequel to the LG Optimus G Pro phablet called the LG G Pro 2 as shown in the link below to compete with the Galaxy Note and HTC One Max series.  What I am confused about is what is LG's target audience between the two LG G Flex and LG G Pro 2 devices?  Certainly I don't expect the LG G Pro 2 device to come with a S-pen feature to differentiate itself and be more closely competing with the Galaxy Note.  Heck the LG G Pro 2 is even rumored to be a 6 inch device which is exactly the same thing as the LG G Flex.  As far as I know the main difference between the two devices is the curved display on the LG G Flex.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G-Pro-2-images-leak-reveals-volume-rocker-and-power-buttons-on-the-rear-cover_id51927

ugh, i wish they would give info on release dates! i want a big screen tri-band phone and am waiting for the G Flex as it *might* be a better option than the One Max. but if this is coming out soon maybe i should wait for it?!?!!? i guess if nothing else being on framily and having unlimited data i could upgrade again in a year ;)

ugh, i wish they would give info on release dates! i want a big screen tri-band phone and am waiting for the G Flex as it *might* be a better option than the One Max. but if this is coming out soon maybe i should wait for it?!?!!? i guess if nothing else being on framily and having unlimited data i could upgrade again in a year ;)

Its already announced when its available.  Did you read the press release that was announced 2 weeks ago?  The LG G Flex will be available in stores on Feb 7th.  I think preorders will go out on Jan 31st.

http://investors.sprint.com/file.aspx?iid=4057219&fid=21651475

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Sprint (NYSE: S) customers are about to become the first to experience the peak data speeds of up to 60Mbps on the world’s first curved, flexible1 smartphone, LG G Flex. Unique to Sprint, G Flex will take advantage of Sprint Spark™2, enhanced LTE that supports a new generation of online gaming, virtual reality, advanced cloud services and other applications requiring high bandwidth. The benefits of Sprint Spark coupled with LG G Flex’s innovative curved display and curved battery means Sprint customers will enjoy a more immersive and long-lasting viewing experience.

Sprint and LG announced today that G Flex will be available on Friday, Jan. 31, in Sprint sales channels, including Business Sales, Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) and Web Sales for $299.99 with a new two-year service agreement (excludes taxes and surcharges). It will arrive in Sprint stores on Friday, Feb. 7. New and existing customers can preorder G Flex beginning today at sprint.com/lggflex. All consumers who take advantage of the online preorder (Jan. 16–31) will receive a free Quickwindow Folio Case ($59.99 value) with the G Flex device.

We got our Sprint demo of the Flex today at my Best Buy store. Its pretty cool actually. First thing we did was scratch the back and push on it to make it flex. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

We got our Sprint demo of the Flex today at my Best Buy store. Its pretty cool actually. First thing we did was scratch the back and push on it to make it flex. Lol.

Any chance to test it out? Signal strength compared to the g2 or n5? Screen quality? Other impressions?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Any chance to test it out? Signal strength compared to the g2 or n5? Screen quality? Other impressions?

Its just a demo so it doesn't have service so no signal strength. Screen is very nice and big. The phone is huge. The curve is pretty cool not as gimmicky as I thought it would be. The back is nothing special. Just a high glossy plastic back like a S4.

• Like 1

Its just a demo so it doesn't have service so no signal strength. Screen is very nice and big. The phone is huge. The curve is pretty cool not as gimmicky as I thought it would be. The back is nothing special. Just a high glossy plastic back like a S4.

Cant wait to check it out....though with the pro2 coming out....choices choices

Watch out.  It is reportedly "self healing."  The next thing you know, Skynet is learning at a geometric rate, becomes self aware, and launches a nuclear strike to preserve itself.

AJ

• Like 4

Watch out. It is reportedly "self healing." The next thing you know, Skynet is learning at a geometric rate, becomes self aware, and launches a nuclear strike to preserve itself.

AJ

Thermo Nuclear War! I think I saw that movie.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

My friend just posted her mini review / pics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

She "even prefer the Note II over the G Flex?" Interesting... As far as screen resolution is concerned, I believe both devices have a 720 x 1280 display, so it will be interesting to compare the G Flex's "POLED" screen to the Note II's "Super HD AMOLED" screen. For me, the extra 0.05" of real estate and triband connectivity alone make the G Flex a very attractive option. I am definitely looking forward to checking it out once it hits the display shelves!

Thermo Nuclear War! I think I saw that movie.

Wrong movie.  In 1983, you were about eight years early.  Then, actual "Judgment Day" was another six years after that.

AJ

• Like 1

got myself a G Flex!!!!! :D so far i'm really liking it! haven't found anything to dislike yet but i've only had it about an hour :) i was between this and the G2 and decided to go with this since i wanted a bigger screen. When i was in the store i could just barely see a difference between the screen on the flex and the G2 when holding them side by side. now that i'm back at work and playing on it the screen looks gorgeous!

i made sure to verify that i was able to get the band prirority screen so i could change band priorities, the only screen that didn't work was the one the G2 uses to change to LTE only mode. i was able to use the dialer code, by changing the last 3 to 995 (for this model number) and it did load a hidden menu, but i couldn't find anywhere on it to set LTE only mode. i asked the sales guy if he could get me my MSL while i was there and he did :)

Here are some signalcheck and engineering screens from it.

set to CDMA mode to see voice and 3G connection

2014-02-07-13-51-11.png

connected to LTE

2014-02-07-13-52-07.png

band enable/disable

2014-02-07-13-53-02.png

band priority

2014-02-07-13-53-11.png

lte engineering

2014-02-07-13-52-28.png

shortcuts to all these screens don't work in signalcheck :( not sure if they do in the G2 or not? will have to message mike so he can look at it.

will be working on moving all my stuff from my old phone over now :D if anyone wants to know anything else feel free to ask!

• Like 6

got myself a G Flex!!!!! :D so far i'm really liking it! haven't found anything to dislike yet but i've only had it about an hour :) i was between this and the G2 and decided to go with this since i wanted a bigger screen. When i was in the store i could just barely see a difference between the screen on the flex and the G2 when holding them side by side. now that i'm back at work and playing on it the screen looks gorgeous!

i made sure to verify that i was able to get the band prirority screen so i could change band priorities, the only screen that didn't work was the one the G2 uses to change to LTE only mode. i was able to use the dialer code, by changing the last 3 to 995 (for this model number) and it did load a hidden menu, but i couldn't find anywhere on it to set LTE only mode. i asked the sales guy if he could get me my MSL while i was there and he did :)

Here are some signalcheck and engineering screens from it.

set to CDMA mode to see voice and 3G connection

shortcuts to all these screens don't work in signalcheck :( not sure if they do in the G2 or not? will have to message mike so he can look at it.

will be working on moving all my stuff from my old phone over now :D if anyone wants to know anything else feel free to ask!

I think its time to create a LG G Flex Users Thread! and close this thread.  Do you want to do the honors since you are one of the first folks here to get the G Flex?

• Like 1

She "even prefer the Note II over the G Flex?" Interesting... As far as screen resolution is concerned, I believe both devices have a 720 x 1280 display, so it will be interesting to compare the G Flex's "POLED" screen to the Note II's "Super HD AMOLED" screen. For me, the extra 0.05" of real estate and triband connectivity alone make the G Flex a very attractive option. I am definitely looking forward to checking it out once it hits the display shelves!

Apparently my friend got into it with an LG rep. Lol

Posted Image

Apparently my friend got into it with an LG rep. Lol

That was painful to read.

Robert

• Like 1

That was painful to read.

Robert

Sounds like sprint related debates in comments sections on tech blogs. Apparently the LG rep deleted her comments afterwards.

Apparently my friend got into it with an LG rep. lol

Wow, classy.

I went to check out this phone yesterday at a Sprint store and man is this phone huge.  I noticed some of the icons in the app drawer look a bit different but not a big deal.  I couldn't really test the flexibility of the phone on pressing on the back of the phone due to the security tags that are attached which prevented me.  Looks to be a solid device.  I do think it needs a 1080p+ screen resolution for such a large screen.  Didn't spend too much time trying to review the screen quality between the G Flex and G2.