New device authorization to cease if government shuts down

dedub

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc-lays-out-contingency-plans-case-government-shutdown/2013-09-30

However, a lot at the FCC won't get done in the event of a shutdown: "Consumer complaint and inquiry phone lines cannot be answered; consumer protection and local competition enforcement must cease; licensing services, including broadcast, wireless, and wireline, must cease; management of radio spectrum and the creation of new opportunities for competitive technologies and services for the American public must be suspended; and equipment authorizations, including those bringing new electronic devices to American consumers, cannot be provided," the agency said. Article

Read more: FCC lays out contingency plans in case of government shutdown - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc-lays-out-contingency-plans-case-government-shutdown/2013-09-30#ixzz2gPXgSQgZ 
Subscribe at FierceWireless

Bad news for any upcoming devices that have not already passed through the fcc.

Does that mean no phone going through the FCC. We can still get new phones like the note 3 right?

If it has already passed the FCC, then the FCC being shut down shouldn't affect release unless a last minute change needs to be cleared somehow.

When will we realize there is no money left! The U.S. is -16 trillion, we might save some money if some people stay home for a week and the government stops wasting money on bullets and citizen surveillance.  However we should protest to give the FCC a continuing resolution for funding because that is just outrageous! :angry:   I think every item for over 1 billion dollars should be voted on separately.

• Like 1

This is on the FCC OET page:

Federal Communications Commission

We regret the disruption, but during the Federal Government-wide shutdown, the FCC is limited to performing duties that are immediately necessary for the safety of life or the protection of property. FCC online systems will not be available until further notice.

If you need to contact the FCC to address an emergency situation, please call: (202) 418-1122 or email: FCCOPCenter@fcc.gov.

Telecommunications companies must continue to use the Network Outage Reporting System (NORS), which will remain available during the shutdown, to file reports of telecommunication service disruptions pursuant to Part 4 of the FCC's rules. NORS allows companies to file Notifications, Initial Reports and Final Reports. The information on service disruptions is essential to maintain and improve the reliability and security of the telecommunications infrastructure.

Vacancy announcements for positions that were open for receipt of applications have been closed and will re-open when the Government is operational.

During this time, the FCC is not accepting any deliveries of supplies, or services that have not been identified as necessary for the safety of life or the protection of property.

The Commission has issued a Public Notice concerning procedures for submissions that would be due to the FCC during the shutdown.

last reviewed/updated on 10/1/2013

Does that mean no phone going through the FCC. We can still get new phones like the note 3 right?

No.  Due to the shutdown, we are going back to the "stone age" of wireless.  Since no new handsets will be approved, you will have only two choices:  a car phone or a bag phone.

21016d1290752405-first-phone-motorola-ba

AJ

• Like 8

No. Due to the shutdown, we are going back to the "stone age" of wireless. Since no new handsets will be approved, you will have only two choices: a car phone or a bag phone.

AJ

Where can I pre- order that phone. Just what I was looking for.

• Like 1

No.  Due to the shutdown, we are going back to the "stone age" of wireless.  Since no new handsets will be approved, you will have only two choices:  a car phone or a bag phone.

AJ

Yea those are pretty cool my mom used to have one.  I was thinking more in the way of pagers and payphones. :lol:

AJ

Hey, where'd you get a picture of my phone?!?!

(I actually had one identical to that from about 1990-91.)

Dang, thanks obama

And thank the obstructionist GOP.  But we are not going down that path.  Partisan political discussion has no place at S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 5

And thank the obstructionist GOP.  But we are not going down that path.  Partisan political discussion has no place at S4GRU.

AJ

lol 

you just had to eat your cake too didnt you aj 

• Like 3

lol 

you just had to eat your cake too didnt you aj 

Equal opportunity, equal time.

That said, do not pursue the politics behind this topic.  Everyone is warned.  We have already *shut down* one thread today due to contentiousness.

AJ

• Like 3

Equal opportunity, equal time.

That said, do not pursue the politics behind this topic.  Everyone is warned.  We have already *shut down* one thread today due to contentiousness.

AJ

Oh come on, everyone gets along in regards with politics!  There couldn't any harm on speaking out about that, right? I think we can all agree on politics   ;)

/no, don't go there.

AJ

There is at least one verizon customer who has a bag phone active on their account.

Their monthly plan is for 15 minutes or so.

Is it tri-band?

quadband.

Correct.  You took the words right from out of my mouth.  Quad band:  Cellular 850 MHz band, AM band, FM band, and Citizens band.

AJ

Correct. You took the words right from out of my mouth. Quad band: Cellular 850 MHz band, AM band, FM band, and Citizens band.

AJ

Mhmm... 27 mhz of sweetness. Still have my old 23 channel SSB base station somewhere around here.

• Like 1