Mobile industry careers?

Thomas L.

I've been wondering lately: what are the qualifications for the different jobs in the mobile/cellular industry?

I don't necessarily mean the actual climbing of towers and bolting on panels, but aspects like network planning, how and where cells need to be placed, evaluating what technologies are best for a network, evaluating performance, setting up FITs, things like that?

Thanks!

Tommy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

I've been wondering lately: what are the qualifications for the different jobs in the mobile/cellular industry?

I don't necessarily mean the actual climbing of towers and bolting on panels, but aspects like network planning, how and where cells need to be placed, evaluating what technologies are best for a network, evaluating performance, setting up FITs, things like that?

Thanks!

Tommy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Typically, an Electrical Engineering degree with a specialization in RF is involved, but any CSE degree will work, provided you've got certification and other credentials for RF and network planning. There are many specialty courses that teach those things (some of them provided by network infrastructure vendors), and it is a matter of proving that you've got the skill to take on the job. Some universities actually have RF engineering sub-majors for a Bachelor's degree, but the vast majority do not. Most people I know do specialization in RF as a Master's concentration instead.

• Like 1

I was actually about to ask this same question.  ;) I'm kind of looking for something along the lines you describe as well. Just curious where to start looking. My area does not offer a lot in the way of training options, so any input on where to start would be great!

If you have the knowledge and skillset, I hear you can make a lucrative career as a moderator or Contributing Author at S4GRU.com.

Do they pay by the number of pieces or by the pint of KFC gravy?

• Like 2

Do they pay by the number of pieces or by the pint of KFC gravy?

I hear that form of pay is reserved for the CEO.

Hahaha! You guys are funny!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

If you have the knowledge and skillset, I hear you can make a lucrative career as a moderator or Contributing Author at S4GRU.com.

But the pay is awful. We get paid a negative salary. ;)

Typically, an Electrical Engineering degree with a specialization in RF is involved, but any CSE degree will work, provided you've got certification and other credentials for RF and network planning. There are many specialty courses that teach those things (some of them provided by network infrastructure vendors), and it is a matter of proving that you've got the skill to take on the job. Some universities actually have RF engineering sub-majors for a Bachelor's degree, but the vast majority do not. Most people I know do specialization in RF as a Master's concentration instead.

Is a CSE degree a computer science degree, or are you referring to Control Systems Engineer? I'm enrolled as an ITT management major but wondering if I should transfer over to UNF and start my electrical engineering degree so I can work in the wireless industry.  I'd love a job messing with cell phones and/or frequencies. 

Also - what is an RF cert?  Should I be contacting - let's say - Ericsson regarding this?  

I'm a network security engineer, mostly dealing with firewalls and IPS devices. Is there any room for a guy like me to fit into cellular networks? The RF engineering interests me, but I have a feeling that would be starting from scratch in a new career.

Is a CSE degree a computer science degree, or are you referring to Control Systems Engineer? I'm enrolled as an ITT management major but wondering if I should transfer over to UNF and start my electrical engineering degree so I can work in the wireless industry.  I'd love a job messing with cell phones and/or frequencies. 

Also - what is an RF cert?  Should I be contacting - let's say - Ericsson regarding this?  

CSE == Computer Science and Engineering. CSE covers software engineering, computer engineering, computer science, computer (IP/TDM) networks, etc.

• Like 1