Changes Coming to GPS Navigation on Oct 1

Was notified of this change in my latest bill:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_more_about_GPS_Navigation_service_changes/7a563fd2-da7b-4a1b-bfcf-179c3fb20572?ECID=vanity:navsupport

Some navigation service is ending, some will require you to start paying, etc.

Looks like Sprint is continuing the trend of providing less content and evolving toward becoming a data pipe only.  What a change from the pre-Android and iPhone days...

Some navigation service is ending, some will require you to start paying, etc.

Looks like Sprint is continuing the trend of providing less content and evolving toward becoming a data pipe only.  What a change from the pre-Android and iPhone days...

That's a bummer, it probably means too few users use Sprint Nav. now that Google Maps is the de facto maps app for smartphones...

I loved using it on my Sprint Palm Prē, the voice lady was pleasant.

I mean you have to ask yourself if it's a good investment for a company hemorrhaging cash to support a service that's no longer really relevant given that the two smartphone platforms that make up ~95% of the market both come with on-board GPS voice guided navigation - for free... that only consume data, which encourages folks to have data plans in the first place.  

so yeah, kill off every service that's duplicative like this.  streamline your services operation.  

• Like 1

I never understood why someone would use telenav over google maps navigation. The app is so bloated, slow and crashes often. I just wish you could delete it off of your phone. As the Sprint page shows, you can still use navigation with a variety of free apps, but telenav isn't supported anymore.

While on the surface, it seems crappy, but with all the options out there that are free, and frankly, better, I dont see this as a big deal at all personally.  I havent paid for gps navigation on a phone since my blackberry had telenav in 2006.

• Like 1

Telenav is actually better at finding places around my area. In Clark County Google puts you a minimum of a mile away from your destination while Telenav put you dead on. About 90% of the time Google can't find something Telenav found in. Google also has a tendency to give you search results 3 states away.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

Telenav is actually better at finding places around my area. In Clark County Google puts you a minimum of a mile away from your destination while Telenav put you dead on. About 90% of the time Google can't find something Telenav found in. Google also has a tendency to give you search results 3 states away.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Must be specific to your area :P

Google hasn't given me issues from Illinois to Colorado. Only issue is when it doesn't load, and that's Sprint data issues >_<

since no other wireless provider has offered "free" telenav, the inclusion of this has always been  unnecessary. 

Hesse included it with the "everything data" plans as a means to add retail value at a wholesale price for sprint.  The Everything Data plans were the first time that Sprint put its foot down with legacy plan holders and forced everyone to increase their MRC.   The inclusion of navigation was a value proposition. The writing has been on the wall for this ever since "unlimited" went away at the big 2. 

Hesse included it with the "everything data" plans as a means to add retail value at a wholesale price for sprint. 

Free Navigation pre-dates the Everything plans, rather it was part of the "PRO Pack" $30/month data add on. See http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/power_vision_pro_pack_popup.shtml . This was a huge deal back when we were using Blackberry and feature phones.

• Like 1

Free Navigation pre-dates the Everything plans, rather it was part of the "PRO Pack" $30/month data add on. See http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/power_vision_pro_pack_popup.shtml . This was a huge deal back when we were using Blackberry and feature phones.

Very few of us paid $30 a month for data. Sprint was a different company then though.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Add me to the list of folks who used TeleNav when Google's own Maps would come up short. There are still times when this happens.

That said, there's now a free "lite" TeleNav that I've seen around, so I can understand Sprint not bundling it anymore.

• Like 1

Very few of us paid $30 a month for data. Sprint was a different company then though.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

I had a Vision plan back in the day.  Then they came out with EV-DO and associated data plans and I was granftathered in!  woot!   Then I got to watch NFL Network on my Treo all the freaking time.   

now THAT was a data plan!  :P

This navigation crap though.... with so many free options already, why is this even an issue?  I mean hell, pay shipping and I'll send you a garmin lol

While on the surface, it seems crappy, but with all the options out there that are free, and frankly, better, I dont see this as a big deal at all personally. I havent paid for gps navigation on a phone since my blackberry had telenav in 2006.

While on the surface chet seemed like a piece of crap...

This navigation crap though.... with so many free options already, why is this even an issue?  I mean hell, pay shipping and I'll send you a garmin lol

Heh, I agree, pay me shipping, and I'll send you mine.

Reminds me of one time I did a "side-by-side comparison". I was out driving in the absolute middle of nowhere (outside of Portland, Michigan), and had gotten myself lost. Nothing but cornfields, trees, and hills all around me. Not even a house in sight. I looked down at my phone (at the time, was an HTC EVO 4G LTE, which as we all know gets, ah, mediocre to bad reception), and it showed a single bar of 1X. I whipped out my Tom-Tom from the glove compartment, and started directions to "Home" using both simultaneously.

As the Tom-Tom took four minutes to actually get a GPS lock, the phone won - but only barely.

• Like 1

Heh, I agree, pay me shipping, and I'll send you mine.

Reminds me of one time I did a "side-by-side comparison". I was out driving in the absolute middle of nowhere (outside of Portland, Michigan), and had gotten myself lost. Nothing but cornfields, trees, and hills all around me. Not even a house in sight. I looked down at my phone (at the time, was an HTC EVO 4G LTE, which as we all know gets, ah, mediocre to bad reception), and it showed a single bar of 1X. I whipped out my Tom-Tom from the glove compartment, and started directions to "Home" using both simultaneously.

As the Tom-Tom took four minutes to actually get a GPS lock, the phone won - but only barely.

Hey that's out where I live now, I don't know about the middle of nowhere, but neighboring on the middle of nowhere ;)