NV Network Hand-offs LTE->eHRPD and eHRPD->LTE is it really seamless?

I've always read that eHRPD is the CDMA technology overlay to allow seamless hand-off to and from LTE so that a user doesn't experience and data drops.  When on a previous 4G device (WiMax) there was always a hard drop and the device had to acquire the EvDo signal then attempt to restart the network connection, it was not seamless at all.  When I read that the eHRPD should lead to a seamless hand-off, I would expect no data session drop, just a slowdown or speed up in the flow of the data, however, I've never experienced that.  Whenever I lose LTE and drop back to eHRPD (or come into an LTE area), it involves a data session drop, web pages don't load, streaming media stops, VPN connections are dropped, etc. until the device is fully connected.  I have experienced this both on Stock ROMs and AOSP/CM ROMs.

My question, is my understanding of the seamless hand-off technology incorrect or is something not functioning the way that it should be?

• Like 1

I've always read that eHRPD is the CDMA technology overlay to allow seamless hand-off to and from LTE so that a user doesn't experience and data drops.  When on a previous 4G device (WiMax) there was always a hard drop and the device had to acquire the EvDo signal then attempt to restart the network connection, it was not seamless at all.  When I read that the eHRPD should lead to a seamless hand-off, I would expect no data session drop, just a slowdown or speed up in the flow of the data, however, I've never experienced that.  Whenever I lose LTE and drop back to eHRPD (or come into an LTE area), it involves a data session drop, web pages don't load, streaming media stops, VPN connections are dropped, etc. until the device is fully connected.  I have experienced this both on Stock ROMs and AOSP/CM ROMs.

My question, is my understanding of the seamless hand-off technology incorrect or is something not functioning the way that it should be?

For me, the success rate is about 50% for seamless handoff to eHRPD from LTE.  On both Verizon and Sprint.  It also seems to vary from vendor and device.  For instance, my Note 2 seems the worst at seamless handoffs.  The LGOG seemed to have a higher success rate.  Also, it seems Ericsson markets in Texas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Kansas were better for handoffs than Samsung was for me in Colorado.

It's not an exact science.  It also depends on the application you are running during the handoff.  Some are more forgiving than others.

So eHRPD allows seamless handoffs, it doesn't create an exacting condition to always have seamless handoffs.  It's much better than going straight to EVDO from LTE.  But it is a painful migration going from EVDO to LTE, and eHRPD only slightly lessens the pain.

Soon with Triband and the onset of LTE 800, the drops to eHRPD are going to be less and less of an issue.  LTE 800 should have a slight propagation improvement over the best CDMA 1900.  So this problem will slowly go away.

I do notice that transition from LTE to WCDMA on AT&T and Tmo has a higher success rate.  But it is not perfect either.  And don't ask me about a transition from LTE to EDGE.   :frantic:

Robert

• Like 7

For me, the success rate is about 50% for seamless handoff to eHRPD from LTE.  On both Verizon and Sprint.  It also seems to vary from vendor and device.  For instance, my Note 2 seems the worst at seamless handoffs.  The LGOG seemed to have a higher success rate.  Also, it seems Ericsson markets in Texas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Kansas were better for handoffs than Samsung was for me in Colorado.

It's not an exact science.  It also depends on the application you are running during the handoff.  Some are more forgiving than others.

So eHRPD allows seamless handoffs, it doesn't create an exacting condition to always have seamless handoffs.  It's much better than going straight to EVDO from LTE.  But it is a painful migration going from EVDO to LTE, and eHRPD only slightly lessens the pain.

Soon with Triband and the onset of LTE 800, the drops to eHRPD are going to be less and less of an issue.  LTE 800 should have a slight propagation improvement over the best CDMA 1900.  So this problem will slowly go away.

I do notice that transition from LTE to WCDMA on AT&T and Tmo has a higher success rate.  But it is not perfect either.  And don't ask me about a transition from LTE to EDGE.   :frantic:

Robert

The LTE to EDGE hand-off

erh17r.gif

• Like 20

The LTE to EDGE hand-off

erh17r.gif

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu...

AJ

• Like 6

My mother has the Note 2 and the hand off is horrible. but my GS3's handoff is a piece of cake

Same here. Typically my GS3 handoffs are about 75% seamless.

Edit: Assuming that the eHRPD and LTE connections are strong and working well.

Same here. Typically my GS3 handoffs are about 75% seamless.

Edit: Assuming that the eHRPD and LTE connections are strong and working well.

The start of NV. The hand off was horrible period. But now I've had no problems, my phone even connects to towers that are in testing stages with no problems and NO prl updates.

• Like 1

The start of NV. The hand off was horrible period. But now I've had no problems, my phone even connects to towers that are in testing stages with no problems and NO prl updates.

Orlando is still a bit of a patchwork of legacy and NV towers as well as having several that can be quite overloaded during the day, so it really just depends on what I'm handing off to. There's lots of eHRPD on towers here that aren't upgraded yet, so sometimes the eHRPD is dog slow that I'm switching to.

• Like 1

Orlando is still a bit of a patchwork of legacy and NV towers as well as having several that can be quite overloaded during the day, so it really just depends on what I'm handing off to. There's lots of eHRPD on towers here that aren't upgraded yet, so sometimes the eHRPD is dog slow that I'm switching to.

We had those problems for a while. But for the past 5 months. It's become near flawless with my phone and what not. I love it lol

• Like 1

My trip to Idaho seemed mind boggling. Ton of legacy around and then down the way new. Found it easier to toggle airplane mode to fix. In Portland area its seamless, barely any issues.

Does the iphone 5 have eHRPD or no.. LTE is popping up like crazy in my area and I'm in Disney right now and there is a good amount of LTE, but when I go from evdo to LTE or the other way around I see the 1x "o"

Of course it does.

Robert

What about an LTE to GPRS handoff? :lol:  (I had to)

• Like 4

I think all of my experience is with my Note 2.  I'm typically the driver in my family, so I don't get to play with my wife's Photon Q see how the hand-offs are there.  As always Robert, great info!

• Like 1

My iPhone typically hands off pretty smoothly. Yesterday I was in Ikea with my sister picking up some things & I had gotten LTE , it was only in one isolated area of the store which isn't unusual since service sucks in Ikea anyways I was using an app & my phone dropped from LTE to 3G & the app kept loading it just took way long no NV 3G -_-

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere that 1x -> evdo, evdo -> lte handoff was impossible, as long as yur actively using your connection?

I thought I read somewhere that 1x -> evdo, evdo -> lte handoff was impossible, as long as yur actively using your connection?

An SVDO capable device might be able to pull off a CDMA1X -> EV-DO handoff or even maintain simultaneous CDMA1X data and EV-DO data connections.  But SVDO capable devices were few and short lived.

Otherwise, no, CDMA1X -> EV-DO handoff is not possible because CDMA1X requires a constant connection.  The baseband has no downtime to scan for another airlink.

AJ

I've always had good luck dropping for LTE to eHRPD

I very rarely see things go the other - as long as it keeps data going on 3G it doesn't seem to go back to 4G

I see this often as well. If I have a data session going on LTE and it falls back to eHRPD, the handoff is flawless. But, it never seems to go back to LTE. It will stay on eHRPD until the session is ended.

• Like 1