Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

The other side of the discussion, why take the time to engineer a phone to support Sprint's unique setup if there are no plans for it to work on Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Ya, wouldn't make much sense. I truly hope it does come to Sprint. And at the same time as the other carriers, not a month or two later.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Ya, wouldn't make much sense. I truly hope it does come to Sprint. And at the same time as the other carriers, not a month or two later.

The same exact model number that supports ATT and T-Mo supports every single Sprint band imaginable. It's coming to Sprint. Whether Sprint will allow ones sold through Google Play instead of their own stores to be activated is another story. We'll see.

If the Nexus 5 does not come out on Sprint, I will wait until my contract expires and go to T-Mobile. I love my Galaxy Nexus, I love the ease at which I can remove bloat and streamline the UI, and I love the developer community and support. I shudder when contemplating the over-complex features and UI of Touchwiz, Sense, etc. I must have Android in its purest form!!!

• Like 2

If the Nexus 5 does not come out on Sprint, I will wait until my contract expires and go to T-Mobile. I love my Galaxy Nexus, I love the ease at which I can remove bloat and streamline the UI, and I love the developer community and support. I shudder when contemplating the over-complex features and UI of Touchwiz, Sense, etc. I must have Android in its purest form!!!

Here is my personal thought: the Nexus 5 won't be bought through Sprint but you'll buy it on Google Play and then activate it on your Sprint account.

• Like 2

Here is my personal thought: the Nexus 5 won't be bought through Sprint but you'll buy it on Google Play and then activate it on your Sprint account.

I have a feeling, or just a wish, that Best Buy will sell the Nexus 5.

While I personally would prefer this option, mainly because I bought the HTC One a few months ago and am already in contract. I can't see Google selling the Nexus 5 for Sprint or say Verizon (even though it won't be on Verizon) because the CDMA Galaxy Nexus was only sold through the respective stores, not to mention Sprint doesn't like new phones to be activated without renewing the contract on eligible subscribers. Then again, since it is looking like there will be one model for all carriers it would allow Google to sell them. At this point I guess anything can happen.

While I personally would prefer this option, mainly because I bought the HTC One a few months ago and am already in contract. I can't see Google selling the Nexus 5 for Sprint or say Verizon (even though it won't be on Verizon) because the CDMA Galaxy Nexus was only sold through the respective stores, not to mention Sprint doesn't like new phones to be activated without renewing the contract on eligible subscribers. Then again, since it is looking like there will be one model for all carriers it would allow Google to sell them. At this point I guess anything can happen.

I'm also assuming that the Nexus 5 will use a CSIM as well.

I'm hoping Sprint offers it via contract because I'm due for a renewal. Just doesn't seem like Sprint would not sell this on contract.

Most of us here would still be all over it. But we are a small sample of Sprint users.

Sent from me phone

• Like 1

Ahhh. In short, it appears to be a way to make CDMA behave like GSM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's what Verizon uses as well. I would say the best description would be a SIM card for Sprint, but I don't know much about them either.

I'm hoping Sprint offers it via contract because I'm due for a renewal. Just doesn't seem like Sprint would not sell this on contract. Most of us here would still be all over it. But we are a small sample of Sprint users.Sent from me phone

Honestly, it seems to be a better deal to buy if it were with contract since it makes no sense to pay full price for a phone if your monthly payment includes a built in subsidy.

Honestly, it seems to be a better deal to buy if it were with contract since it makes no sense to pay full price for a phone if your monthly payment includes a built in subsidy.

I think it depends on how you look at it... I know T Mobile added an additional 20% to the price of the Nexus 4 if you purchased it from them instead of just ordering it from the Play store.  It was kinda weird because a friend of mine broke his old iPhone 3GS, so I suggested he just buy a Nexus to replace since he was short on cash and didn't want to sign a new contract with AT&T.  When we went to the TMo store I looked at the price in awe.

I was also surprised that they locked their version to their network, and laughed at me when I asked if they would unlock it in store if it was purchased out right.  I am guessing the premium was for the additional "features and apps" they added to the device with that lock.

Also if Sprint lets you activate it without signing a new agreement, it would let people avoid the price hike of the new plans.

I'm hoping Sprint offers it via contract because I'm due for a renewal. Just doesn't seem like Sprint would not sell this on contract.

Most of us here would still be all over it. But we are a small sample of Sprint users.

Guys, your financial analysis is specious.

If the Nexus 5 is sold via Google Play for $349 and is sold on contract via Sprint for $199, you are better off taking the unsubsidized deal.  Otherwise, the subsidy that you effectively pay every month is going toward a $349 handset that is being treated the same as a $599 handset.  And, honestly, if you cannot swing the $349 out of pocket because of lack of available cash, you might want to reconsider whether you are playing above your pay grade in the smartphone stakes.

AJ

• Like 4

If the Nexus 5 is sold via Google Play for $349 and is sold on contract via Sprint for $199, you are better off taking the unsubsidized deal.  Otherwise, the subsidy that you effectively pay every month is going toward a $349 handset that is being treated the same as a $599 handset.  And, honestly, if you cannot swing the $349 out of pocket because of lack of available cash, your might want to reconsider whether you are playing above your pay grade in the smartphone stakes.

AJ

But since you pay the same monthly rate for your plan, you essentially just pay an extra $150 out of pocket for the same phone. I could see the benefit if your carrier offered a discounted plan to reflect your fully paid for phone, but besides T-Mobile, we are all out of luck.

But since you pay the same monthly rate for your plan, you essentially just pay an extra $150 out of pocket for the same phone.

Nope.  You still miss the point.  You preserve your subsidized upgrade that you can use for a truly high dollar handset to keep or sell for a tidy profit.

AJ

• Like 5

If the Nexus 5 is sold via Google Play for $349 and is sold on contract via Sprint for $199, you are better off taking the unsubsidized deal.  Otherwise, the subsidy that you effectively pay every month is going toward a $349 handset that is being treated the same as a $599 handset.  And, honestly, if you cannot swing the $349 out of pocket because of lack of available cash, you might want to reconsider whether you are playing above your pay grade in the smartphone stakes.

AJ

I agree with you on multiple points there.  I look at the subsidy being worth the $350 ETF, since the subsidized price is pretty much the full srp minus $350 (some times you come out ahead by $50 or so).

So if the new Nexus sells for the $349 on the Play store again, Sprint would basically have to make it a free phone.  If Sprint were to stock it and sell it @ $199 then the cost of the phone would have to be $549 to break even (from a purely hardware standpoint).

OK, I'm just playing ignorant here.

I have 3 phones with Sprint on a family plan. My wife's phone is up for upgrade and that's what I intend to use for the Nexus 5.

How do you guys use this off contract? I'm not seeing how this is cheaper.

Someone enlighten me please.

Sent from me phone

Say you buy the phone from the play store, off contract, for $349 and kept your upgrade. You would then use your upgrade on say the note 3 when it goes on upgrade sale on amazon for $50...you then sell the note 3 for $400 on craigslist and essentially get the nexus 5 free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

AJ

Just buy an Iphone 5S, sell it unopened. And buy the nexus 5 straight from google, assuming we will be able to get it from them directly.