Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

when was the last time you've been on a social network? It's crazy how much hate sprint gets.

I frequent the most popular sites all the time. I guarantee if you go on a site that has separate sections for each provider you will see the hate.

Verizon and AT&T get plenty of hate ,but for their prices and policies not because of service.That is the sprint problem their service.

I think that is actually a good thing because it is being addressed. I am a firm believer that once Sprint fields a competitive product the so called tech journalist will take notice.

• Like 1

Kevin's absolutely right, but I don't think Masa cares. His speech isn't about facts in any way, it's only about branding the merger.

The FCC can't let T-Mobile go after putting up a fight to save them, and have it rewarded so successfully in the market. They need a way to frame this in the public interest, and at the moment, there isn't a real one. So Masa needs to invent one. Comcast is a good target, as they're almost universally hated.

Masa's never going to challenge Comcast, and he doesn't intend to. He just needs to pretend to challenge Comcast, so he convince the FCC that they too can pretend this counts as "competition" against Comcast. 

If the FCC pretends to believe him, they can use that as the excuse for allowing a merger they wouldn't have accepted just 12 months ago. (They've invented a frame where it's "in the public interest"). 

It doesn't matter that none of that is true. (And we know it isn't true, because Comcast isn't opposing it). It just has to look good. So even though this merger has nothing to do with Comcast, if they brand it as "anti-Comcast", it looks good.

The funny thing is, as slimy as it is, I suspect this play will probably work. As Kevin notes, "everybody seemed to eat it up".

But the DOJ might want to put that (fixed broadband) as a condition of the merger.

Has a number ever been given regarding subscribers who bought Wimax-connected smartphones and then left Sprint?

Interesting question. I bought a wimax phone and a lte phone then I left Sprint. But I left to go to Ting which is still Sprint network.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

It's a decent article, and does have valid points, but one of his claims is simply not true.

He claims:

Sandvine estimates that average cord-cutter (which Sandvine defines as the top 15 percent of users) gobbles up 212 GBs a month. Let’s assume you consumed that amount of data each month on your LTE connection. Even on their most liberal shared data plans, AT&T and Verizon would charge you $2,805 a month for that kind of usage.

Ironically, Son’s Sprint would be far more expensive, since it still uses per-megabyte pricing on its mobile broadband plans. Sprint would charge you more than $10,000 if you consumed 212 GBs of data.

However, the Sprint broadband prices mentioned in the article are for mobile broadband devices like embedded laptops, wireless cards, etc. not for tablets and home routers.

Instead, he should be looking at the Wireless Router Plans (also on that same page at Sprint.com if you scroll to the right from the mobile broadband plans, those plans can’t even be activated on the tablet or router devices) because those are the plans aimed at the home-use segment that would be the wireline competitive plans, not the road warriors who are using them in airports, on the road, etc.

A 12GB router plan would be $80, with 1.5¢/MB overage cost. This comes out to about $15/MB overage. So instead of a $10,000 overage cost for 212GB it would be $3,000, which is more on-par with the AT&T and Verizon number of $2,805.

To quote the plans: “Monthly usage in excess of plan allowance on network: 1.5¢/MB (tablets & routers), 5¢/MB (mobile broadband).”

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan_details.jsp?tabId=pt_data_plans_tab&planCatId=pln821011cat&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=Individual&showDetailsTab=true

• Like 3

Sprint/SoftBank may not be able to provide a solid wireless home ISP service everywhere. But they certainly could to exurban and rural areas. And these places need broadband the most. Most TWC served areas already have another one or two broadband providers.

Exurban and rural areas most have one or zero broadband providers. These are places where last mile connections get expensive with little or no pay off. Wireless is a great solution for these areas. And they are less likely to overwhelm a wireless network.

As for cost, they would most certainly offer a more competitive pricing for a new home ISP product than what they're currently offering for aircards and home based backup routers.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 11

If Sprint does get into the home internet thing and are cheaper they will be bucking the trend cause Verizon and AT&T home wireless internet is not more affordable.

I believe that they are less expensive than satellite services. unless that has come down in price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe that they are less expensive than satellite services. unless that has come down in price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Air cards and hotspots from the big two are still bounds cheaper than satellite in my area. Those are your only two options other than dialup where I live. To put it in perspective for the unlimited(150gbs of usage before you get hit with fees) satellite internet that is supposed to be at speeds of 1mb down/.2mb up you pay $180 a month. For an air card its $50 a month for 10gbs of data at whatever speeds atts LTE network will provide that day(usually over 20mbs down and a lot better ping than the satellite). Oh and for the maximum speed satellite plan it's a 7mb download speed and 1mb upload, with 25gbs of data for $165 a month.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kevin is, of course, trying to appeal to urban technologists. Nothing wrong with that, since urban technologists take up the bulk of GigaOm readers. However, for most people in rural areas, they are fine with using Dish or DirecTV for TV. Most don't really have a large desire to cut the cord. They may downgrade their TV package to get less, but most of the people I know don't have a great issue with paying for TV. Most of us are just happy to have two options.

As far as rural broadband goes I would much rather see cable expand into rural areas with subsidization along with using fiber and DSLAM's to expand DSL Vectoring to rural areas that can't get DSL right now. Finally reregulate local loop unbundling so it has some teeth. If SoftBank could compete as a secondary provider for wired, that would help national broadband.

• Like 1

I have to use Fixed broadband at my house as we are too far out for cable/DSL.  If sprint had a comparable rate plan/service, I would definately look at using them as well.  I agree with Fraydog though, I would love to see cable/DSL come out to my neck of the woods so I have choices. 

Just listened to the mostly the whole interview. Basically about the same of what is said in every other interview. Buncha hooblegobble and not much specifics. I like how he makes it very clear not to state that the merger is going to happen, by repeating if it where to happen, or theoretically and such. I think Hesse wants to travel to foreign countries with his 49 million and have a nice decade of relaxing. I don't blame him.

I would do the same lol. Also, based on what he said in the interview...that happy connecting event is definitely going to have to do with the nationwide launch of hd voice. 

Edit: Kevin Smithen of Macqaurie seems to think there is a 70% chance of the merger going through. That's quite a different number from the 10% that was stated yesterday. 

• Like 1

Edit: Kevin Smithen of Macqaurie seems to think there is a 70% chance of the merger going through. That's quite a different number from the 10% that was stated yesterday. 

I certainly wouldn't want to try and handicap the odds of a potential merger succeeding. However, that 10% number was floated by Craig (Muppett) Moffett. Needless to say, his insights and predictions regarding matters having to do with Sprint have been unreliable at best.

• Like 3

It will certainly be interesting to see how many Magenta fans flip flop when a merger is proposed and the exec rock stars on their end like Legere, Ray, and Carter are the ones doing the pitching.

It will certainly be interesting to see how many Magenta fans flip flop when a merger is proposed and the exec rock stars on their end like Legere, Ray, and Carter are the ones doing the pitching.

It's already happening on Google+. They stopped begging Legere to say no and started to say "Well maybe it could work if..."

• Like 6

It's already happening on Google+. They stopped begging Legere to say no and started to say "Well maybe it could work if..."

I would say, "Well maybe it would work if he would agree to wear a suit."

• Like 2

I would say, "Well maybe it would work if he would agree to wear a suit."

I was going to say a diaper, but they both work about the same. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6