Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

The pink tmobile fans need to kiss goodbye to those uncarrier promos because a combined company would carry 77 billions in debt thus shareholders would be calling for Masa head.

The pink tmobile fans need to kiss goodbye to those uncarrier promos because a combined company would carry 77 billions in debt thus shareholders would be calling for Masa head.

I haven't studied the financials of any potential merger at all, that said Masa doesn't really have to answer to shareholders. He owns 20.15% of Softbank (which in turn owns 80% of Sprint, thus he personally owns 16.12% of Sprint). This level of concentrated ownership is obviously very uncommon for a public company. The comparable U.S. company off of the top of my head is Berkshire Hathaway here in Omaha where Warren Buffett, another founder and CEO, owns about 30% of his corporation. Again with such a concentrated ownership structure, Buffett doesn't answer to shareholders either. Even institutional investors know they're along for the ride.

• Like 1

Plus I assume he has a plan. MASA Isn't a bad business man.

This is the part that a lot of armchair business-folk conveniently forget. Masa understands business at a scale that the vast majority of the world doesn't – and he has the track record to back up his machinations.

Meanwhile, all we can do is speculate.

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't think this was worth a whole new thread, but interesting none the less...

Google also announced that Nikesh Arora, the company's chief business officer (and first person listed on the company management page who isn't Larry Page, Sergey Brin, or Eric Schmidt), will be leaving Google to work at SoftBank. Arora had been with the company for almost 10 years.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/google-beats-q2-2014-revenue-estimates-with-15-96-billion-misses-on-eps/

• Like 10

http://gigaom.com/2014/07/17/googles-chief-business-officer-nikesh-arora-leaves-for-softbank/

some more tid bits;

Arora will be heading to Softbank, where he will become Vice Chairman, as well as CEO of the subsidiary SoftBank Internet and Media.
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Sprint ends T-Mobile merger interest [Link quarantined by IPB]

Being discussed here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6013-sprint-reportedly-bowing-out-of-t-mobile-bid-was-sprint-offer-and-iliad-threads/

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

has this been posted yet? also it seems some leaks from here?!?!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/New-Sprint-CEO-Hints-at-Job-Cuts-Outlines-Vision-Thursday-130042

Yeah and tools like that ipplanman person are why I've sometimes wondered if the Network Vision/LTE deployment running list thread should no longer be public.

• Like 6

Yeah and tools like that ipplanman person are why I've sometimes wondered if the Network Vision/LTE deployment running list thread should no longer be public.

Ya...I was thinking the same thing myself...it sure seems that he (or she) got the information from this site.
  • Like 1

Ya...I was thinking the same thing myself...it sure seems that he (or she) got the information from this site.

Oh definitely. He even posted a link to exactly where he got the stats from.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have no problem with people calling a duck a duck. Sprint in Washington DC is abysmal. It's unacceptable. We are in Q3 2014 and only half the sites in our nation's capital have LTE. This isn't podunk territory, and most podunk areas are well past the level of conversion. Standing between the White House and the Washington Monument in June and I couldn't even load a Google search on the terrible 3G. We should call it like it is, and I am sure the new reigns of Sprint have realized it was botched in DC. Now hopefully they fix it with lightning speed.

• Like 8

I have no problem with people calling a duck a duck. Sprint in Washington DC is abysmal. It's unacceptable. We are in Q3 2014 and only half the sites in our nation's capital have LTE. This isn't podunk territory, and most podunk areas are well past the level of conversion. Standing between the White House and the Washington Monument in June and I couldn't even load a Google search on the terrible 3G. We should call it like it is, and I am sure the new reigns of Sprint have realized it was botched in DC. Now hopefully they fix it with lightning speed.

I'm with you. The network here in NJ is just as bad. We are around 60% LTE and most of the times the phone fights like hell to get off of it. I was in NYC and took NJ Transit back home on the Raritan Valley Line and literally couldn't use my phone most of the way. If you look at the maps most of that area has been upgraded supposedly. And roaming is mostly useless in this state. In incredibly densely populated areas you can't get coverage indoors too often yet they sent out a message to me last winter that the network will mostly be done in a month. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.  

And making the running list private is a bad idea. Some people are rude, petty and immature in their comments but those stats are reality. Having them out in the open can only spur Sprint to do better. 

• Like 1

Is it because Sprint not spending enough money?  Or management just sucks?

And making the running list private is a bad idea. Some people are rude, petty and immature in their comments but those stats are reality. Having them out in the open can only spur Sprint to do better.

I don't see how it would be a bad idea. The sponsor and premier sponsor maps are reality too and those are private. So how does having the running list remain public spur Sprint? I'm pretty sure that they're aware of which of their sites still need to be upgraded and they have their own site, BAW, where they can take reports of bad coverage.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2