Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

I personally don't mind Legere. I know I'm in the minority on this site in that regard but he seems like the type of guy that gets things done. Sprint could use that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't mind John L. He's obviously the kanye west of CEOs but he definitely keeps me entertained and I catch myself "what's next from this guy"

We don't know exactly if SoftBank will keep the Sprint brand...they might ditch it in favor of tmobiles

• Like 1

If the clown has to wear a crown to get the merger approved, id say it was worth it

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

May I ask why would you want this merger approved so bad? Are you a stock holder/investor? Otherwise, how is the merger benefitting you as a consumer?

I don't mind John L. He's obviously the kanye west of CEOs but he definitely keeps me entertained and I catch myself "what's next from this guy"

We don't know exactly if SoftBank will keep the Sprint brand...they might ditch it in favor of tmobiles

I have not been as active here of late, so this might have already been proposed. But what if Son buys Vodafone, merges tmo and sprint; then brands all of his phone companies to Vodafone? (And I suspect as others recently said, sells most of the tower's leases to dish...)

OK flame away I can handle it :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh and John takes control of the US market to run as needed and Dan heads up Europe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We'll see. You notice Dish has been very quiet. Like I said before I feel Sprint + Dish and tmobile are all working together to make something happen. We'll see what happens though but I'm sure it's going to be crazy

• Like 1

May I ask why would you want this merger approved so bad? Are you a stock holder/investor? Otherwise, how is the merger benefitting you as a consumer?

It appears you have confused me with another member.  I have not chosen to argue in affirmative for a merger thus far.  My last statement, prior this one, appeared in the Sprint 4th quarter earnings discussion: 

Letting Legere lead the company, at least theoretically, is a ploy to quell the magentan coup which is sure to occur as well as help ensure the government the new entity will perpetuate tmo's perceived competitiveness.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My loyalty remains with the welfare of Sprint.  If consolidation does not occur voluntarily between Tmo and Sprint, there will be other market correction in the coming years.  

I am a strategist and negotiator, professionally.  I am 100% in favor of Sprint making major changes, but does that have to be Tmo?  No.  However, should Sprint go for Tmo and fail,  Sprint will have wasted months of effort and suffer reputational damage and that is in no ones best interest.  So, should Sprint decide to go for Tmo, if letting Legere play a mouthpiece role in the new company helps get the deal approved, it is a small penance for avoiding the failure aftermath.   

• Like 1

Could Hesse possibly be bumped to the board? Or maybe Legere could take COO and leave Hesse at CEO...  I dunno.

Just as long as they don't co-CEO. It never ends well.

• Like 1

What if Legere is just playing Sprint into getting more money and spectrum? He may say he wants this and at the last moment says he doesn't. Wouldn't that mean there is the breakup fee and T-Mobile gets it or does it depend on who breaks it off?

It's all a matter of perception. Legere and T-Mobile come across as the innovators and will help sell the merger. As in with John Legere the combined company will be a lot more aggressive.

What if Legere is just playing Sprint into getting more money and spectrum? He may say he wants this and at the last moment says he doesn't. Wouldn't that mean there is the breakup fee and T-Mobile gets it or does it depend on who breaks it off?

Legere probably has input just like Hesse does at Sprint, but the deal is going to be between Softbank and Deutsch-Telekom.  So Son and whoever runs DT will be the people working this out.  Again, Hesse and Legere will probably be the point guys for each parent in making the mechanics of this work and convincing regulators, but the terms of the deal will be between the parent companies. 

Oh there is a Dish deal in the works in all of this.

I have to imagine that a network sharing deal with Dish or divestiture of tower leases or spectrum or all of the above to Dish will be part of convincing the regulators to approve it.  

Because of the spectrum screen, Sprint will have to divest spectrum and I can see them divesting the EBS spectrum. Actually trading it to Dish for the 2000-2020MHz+PCS Block H. For Sprint it will satisfy the SEC, it will get them spectrum adjacent to Block H and they get to host Dish's spectrum to boot.

I have to imagine that a network sharing deal with Dish or divestiture of tower leases to Dish will be part of convincing the regulators to approve it.  

Are you suggesting that Dish takes over either Sprint or most likely T-Mobile's network minus the spectrum?

My point is simply that Dish would provide one way for Sprint to justify the merger.  Dish could be turned into a ready made competitor. 

• Like 1

My point is simply that Dish would provide one way for Sprint to justify the merger.  Dish could be turned into a ready made competitor. 

Yes, and I think Sprint has already pitched it to regulators behind closed doors. Along with Dish providing fixed broadband on its (EBS) spectrum.

• Like 2

Every month that goes by, the thought of Legere leading a new combined Sprint/Tmo bothers me less and less. The things about Legere that would hurt the company would likely be tempered by Masa. Masa would still be his boss. I'm now to the point that I don't think this is an issue for me anymore.

I'm just skeptical on getting through regulatory approval. It would be extremely painful to go through months or years of wrangling and have it fall apart at the last minute. Even breakup fee aside.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Every month that goes by, the thought of Legere leading a new combined Sprint/Tmo bothers me less and less. The things about Legere that would hurt the company would likely be tempered by Masa. Masa would still be his boss. I'm now to the point that I don't think this is an issue for me anymore.

I'm just skeptical on getting through regulatory approval. It would be extremely painful to go through months or years of wrangling and have it fall apart at the last minute. Even breakup fee aside.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

If all the players want this to happen, they should be able to come to an agreement that has NO BREAKUP FEE in the event that the merger can not be completed.

• Like 1

If all the players want this to happen, they should be able to come to an agreement that has NO BREAKUP FEE in the event that the merger can not be completed.

And how would that benefit T-Mobile USA? Especially if they commit to halt their deployment like they had to during AT&T merger. 

They can agree to merge, but the effect of not being approved by FCC and DoJ would be devastating for T-Mobile USA without a breakup agreement. There is no way that kind of deal is going to happen. 

And how would that benefit T-Mobile USA? Especially if they commit to halt their deployment like they had to during AT&T merger. 

If I were Softbank/Sprint, I would not worry about T-mobile and any problems they might encounter if a merger fails.

T-Mobile wants/needs to be bought by somebody.   I would NEVER enter into any agreement that provides a break-up fee to T-mobile.

Softbank needs to drive the bus and make the rules.

If I were Softbank/Sprint, I would not worry about T-mobile and any problems they might encounter if a merger fails.

T-Mobile wants/needs to be bought by somebody.   I would NEVER enter into any agreement that provides a break-up fee to T-mobile.

Softbank needs to drive the bus and make the rules.

Yeah, well that sounds great if this was in a totalitarian regime where an entity is getting overtaken without regulatory body. 

In this case, there is a high probability that the merger isn't happening, and T-Mobile USA has to protect itself, investors and subs. Plus Deutsche Telekom isnt desperate to sell US operations anymore. 

Good thing "you're not Softbank/Sprint" :)

They can agree to merge, but the effect of not being approved by FCC and DoJ would be devastating for T-Mobile USA without a breakup agreement. There is no way that kind of deal is going to happen.

Might be more devastating to sprint if the deal were rejected, especially with a payout to tmo. Att could afford such a fee, sprint not so much.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2