Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Sprint owns the usable WCS in the south east. I think it is time for a wcs for PCS swap. Even if they don't get much PCS. AJ is right. In year old discussions he and others valued Sprints wcs holdings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sprint owns the usable WCS in the south east. I think it is time for a wcs for PCS swap. Even if they don't get much PCS. AJ is right. In year old discussions he and others valued Sprints wcs holdings. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I doubt they'll want to swap, AT&T will probably just buy it from Sprint.

Just as a hypothetical, deep in the future, can Sprint get hold of the 2.5Mhz left over from the lower CLR band, since each CLR allocation is 12.5MHz? Can we somehow rationally reallocate the spectrum so that each carrier gets 10+10Mhz?

I'm wondering what Sprint will do in the southeast now, with SoLinc coming to some sort of nationwide agreement with whoever it was they were in talks with...I'd really like to see Sprint acquire some of the SoLinc holdings to use it...

Heck, I'd be happy if they would just Co-Locate on the tower that's 1 mile from my house, which the fiber under my driveway feeds. One can dream I suppose.

Interesting write up by Masayoshi Son himself about learning from the past and not repeat mistakes.

Interesting to note how he has not held back and has yelled at Sprint Executives to get their act together.

Seems all existing marketing contracts have been cancelled since they haven't worked. (Those recent Sprint commercials are atrocious).

What was even more interesting is how he states

"Just like Vodafone in Japan, Sprint has gotten used to being a loser. It is perpetually stuck in third or fourth place in the U.S. telecommunications market. Some say the poor quality of its networks explains its position. This kind of excuse keeps Sprint from breaking the vicious cycle in which it is caught. There is a need for a change in mindset."

TS

• Like 9

Interesting write up by Masayoshi Son himself about learning from the past and not repeat mistakes.

Interesting to note how he has not held back and has yelled at Sprint Executives to get their act together.

Seems all existing marketing contracts have been cancelled since they haven't worked. (Those recent Sprint commercials are atrocious).

What was even more interesting is how he states

TS

Totes Magotes!

Posted Image

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

AJ

TS

Do you have a link?

opps sorry I thought I put it in the post.

ok post edited and here it is too. 

TS

Glad to see he is doing what he is doing. I feel like he is right. Sprint definitely needed a push or a shove forward. They've been sitting on the hiatus forever now, its time to take the dive and make it or break it. 

• Like 1

Sprint definitely needs a kick in the Fannie. Hesse and Company have been in crisis management mode for so long. Hunkered down in the bunker trying just to keep the company afloat. They don't know where to go next. They may be shell shocked and not capable of making the next moves. And Sprint's marketing is weak!

Hesse and Sprint executive leadership need to snap out of it fast. Otherwise it may be time to end that last era at Sprint and start fresh with a new one. Some new blood, starting at the top.

Sounds like Son is giving Hesse a reset button. He gets to start the last six months over again and take charge now and sweep in the new era Son demands. If he doesn't drag the team forward into the competitive fray, I don't expect Hesse around much longer.

Dan can either be the hero that was on top when Sprint finally turned the page. Or he can be the last relic of the old and dead Sprint. The choice is his. But I don't think Son has much attention span or patience. And in that regard, he does not fit the Japanese stereotype.

• Like 12

Sprint definitely needs a kick in the Fannie. Hesse and Company have been in crisis management mode for so long. Hunkered down in the bunker trying just to keep the company afloat. They don't know where to go next. They may be shell shocked and not capable of making the next moves. And Sprint's marketing is weak!

I think it's a very exciting time for Sprint.  I think Son will set a new expectation at Sprint.

I still remember Dan Hesse when original network vision came around - he said "We are going to under promise and over deliver."

I can't imagine the challenges of completely rebuilding a network from scratch but at the end of the day, it's your job as CEO to make sure that you have the right people and make sure they have the tools to accomplish their job.  Set the expectation and hold people accountable - that works too.

Maybe Steve Elfman isn't the right guy for the job.

I don't know any of the answers, I will say Dan has done a great job laying a foundation for the possibility of great success.  Their spectrum position is unmatched in the industry - they just need to execute.

Maybe they shouldn't be doing any marketing right now and invest it in their network.  When the network is rebuilt - go bonanza on the biggest marketing push ever.

• Like 3

Maybe Steve Elfman isn't the right guy for the job.

Or maybe he is just not the right Elfman.  Can we please get Jenna instead?

jenna-elfman-picture-3.jpg

AJ

• Like 8

I don't think Sprint can afford to sit back and let T-Mobile take all the new subs in the market. And don't be mistaken.. the new ETF+phone payoff that T-Mobile is offering will definitely move people into considering T-Mobile. I overheard 2 AT&T users and 1 Sprint user at work today discussing it quite seriously. As soon as Sprint drops all contract requirements things will go better for them while also stopping the leakage of subs lured in by ETF payoff deals. The new Framily plans are really quite interesting and are a step in the right direction. I actually really, really like the offering of 1GB/3GB/Unlimited. It is a really good step forward.

I have been disappointed by Sprint's Network Vision progress where I live but it is mainly the delay that is causing that disappointment rather than the speed of the upgraded areas. It is easy to blame the delays on past Sprint decisions but how long can that excuse really be used? Lack of program execution on Network Vision is squarely on the shoulders of the current management and I do wonder how long that shortcoming can last before Softbank decides to really make big management changes at Sprint. I feel like Sprint right now is this huge bear waking up groggily from a long hibernation and stumbling side to side as it struggles toward the cave exit (a fully functional modern network). It will get there and it will be formidable, absolutely, but San needs a glass of water and a whip to wake Sprint up and get it really moving. 

As an aside, I think Sprint should end the preferred retailer/reseller program. Every time I have an issue and stop at these stores they redirect me to a Sprint corporate store. Additionally, the training feels really lackluster at the stores near me. I guess I feel like Sprint lacks control over these locations and how they present themselves and it shows in the experience I have there.

Sprint also needs a new website. The current one is completely dead last among the big 4 providers. Verizon is always making small changes to improve it, while Sprint's feels dated and cumbersome - it does not bring up an image of a modern wireless network

Totes Magotes!

1556396_10201229824047215_1322352353_o.j

And Sprint's marketing is weak!

Yeah, no kidding. They have James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell in a commercial and that's the best that they could come up with for them? Whoever came up with those commercials not only needs to be fired, but also banned for the advertising industry for life.

• Like 8

Maybe they shouldn't be doing any marketing right now and invest it in their network.  When the network is rebuilt - go bonanza on the biggest marketing push ever.

Well they need to market to keep their name out there but they need a better message. They have been horrible for years. Either aimless ads or talking about unlimited data while offering dial up speeds that people saw right through. Campaigns like "Can You Hear Me Now?, "Reliable" and "More Bars in More Places" resonated with customers and were effective. Of course the companies behind them backed the message up.

Maybe Sprint needs to be a little contrite and tell people they have listened to their customers and new management is spending billions and working hard to build a better network. Sure beats the crap they have been putting out. 

• Like 3