Sprint Stock Good Idea?

JustinRP37

On 10 shares I'm already $20 ahead, so I'm happy. I can't wait for it to go over $6/share so I can get my original investment back, and maybe a few dollars more.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Congratulations on your newfound fortune!!!!! :jester: :jester: :jester: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

• Like 1

Congratulations on your newfound fortune!!!!! :jester: :jester: :jester: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

:rofl:

Not a new found fortune. I'm looking into gaining a fortune right now. Hoping soon I will be rich. :)

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I would say it depends on how many shares you bought. If you had just a few then I would say just sell them but if you have a lot then I say hold on to them and monitor their stock prices as often as possible before you sell.

bad advice here...You trade the same no matter how many shares you have...plan your exits based on things like if it reaches point X you will sell Y% and so on...no matter if you have 2000shares or 20 shares, you trade the position basically the same.

I sold Sprint stock to get into Netflix. Worst mistake ever. About a week later, sprint went up 25% from q2 earnings and Netflix went down 20% from theirs. Lol steadily nflx has been going back up but sprint has been soaring since then. I see a good future for sprint and they've definite got the investments needed to pay for this lte rollout.

bad advice here...You trade the same no matter how many shares you have...plan your exits based on things like if it reaches point X you will sell Y% and so on...no matter if you have 2000shares or 20 shares, you trade the position basically the same.

Say what? Of course the amount of shares you have makes a difference. If I have 20 shares at $5 per share, a drop/increase of $1 per share would cause me to lose either $20 or gain $20, no big deal. On the other hand if I have 2000 shares that same change in price could cause me to lose either $2000 or gain $2000, so the amount of shares you have will obviously determine the amount of loss or gain and the amount of shares you have will also determine if its even worth selling or not. If the price is fluctuating quite a bit over a short period of time the amount of shares I own will determine my sense of urgency to buy or sell.

Say what? Of course the amount of shares you have makes a difference. If I have 20 shares at $5 per share, a drop/increase of $1 per share would cause me to lose either $20 or gain $20, no big deal. On the other hand if I have 2000 shares that same change in price could cause me to lose either $2000 or gain $2000, so the amount of shares you have will obviously determine the amount of loss or gain and the amount of shares you have will also determine if its even worth selling or not. If the price is fluctuating quite a bit over a short period of time the amount of shares I own will determine my sense of urgency to buy or sell.

See this is where most people slip up when investing....you have to look at returns on your investment in terms of % not overall $ amount gained/lost. When your stock reaches level X you sell out of Y% of your allotment, not Y$ amount. It doesn't matter of you have 200 or 2000 shares you trade out on the same % basis you would for both allotments...You pick a strategy for the stock and stick to it, doesn't matter if its a $200 position or a $200000 position you trade it the same for the most part. You have to be decisive with your rule and goals/strategies for your positions and stick to them every time...toughest thing is trading without emotion by far!

You also said "urgency" which is an emotional trait there. Rule #1 when investing you check your emotions at the door and do not let them influence your decision one bit! :)

*I managed/traded a $4.5M account for a hedge fund for 5yrs btw... I know wall street and the financial world pretty well... :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

See this is where most people slip up when investing....you have to look at returns on your investment in terms of % not overall $ amount gained/lost. When your stock reaches level X you sell out of Y% of your allotment, not Y$ amount. It doesn't matter of you have 200 or 2000 shares you trade out on the same % basis you would for both allotments...You pick a strategy for the stock and stick to it, doesn't matter if its a $200 position or a $200000 position you trade it the same for the most part. You have to be decisive with your rule and goals/strategies for your positions and stick to them every time...toughest thing is trading without emotion by far!

You also said "urgency" which is an emotional trait there. Rule #1 when investing you check your emotions at the door and do not let them influence your decision one bit! :)

*I managed/traded a $4.5M account for a hedge fund for 5yrs btw... I know wall street and the financial world pretty well... :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I don't disagree with what you said and I am not talking about looking at dollar amounts vs % change. What I am looking at is what determines your actual strategy. Wouldn't you agree that your strategy would be different if you had $50 invested versus $4.5m or 10 shares versus 10,000 shares? Also, its good that you managed a hedge fund for a few years, unfortunately I don't have that experience with dealing with that kind of money but I know one thing, when it comes to investing I have done extremely well over that last 6 years. I took an initial sears holdings investment(former employer) of about $3500 back in 2006 and have multiplied that initial investment many many times over. The more fortunate I became the more my strategy had to change because my volume of shares that I was able to afford and trade increased quite a bit. Not to mention strategy is totally different when you are investing someone else's money versus your own.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with what you said and I am not talking about looking at dollar amounts vs % change. What I am looking at is what determines your actual strategy. Wouldn't you agree that your strategy would be different if you had $50 invested versus $4.5m or 10 shares versus 10,000 shares? Also, its good that you managed a hedge fund for a few years, unfortunately I don't have that experience with dealing with that kind of money but I know one thing, when it comes to investing I have done extremely well over that last 6 years. I took an initial sears holdings investment(former employer) of about $3500 back in 2006 and have multiplied that initial investment many many times over. The more fortunate I became the more my strategy had to change because my volume of shares that I was able to afford and trade increased quite a bit. Not to mention strategy is totally different when you are investing someone else's money versus your own.

Your exit strategy, no matter if $50 or $50,000 should be identical for the most part. This is something that is engraved into you as you learn to handle more and more money...the only difference mainly being that when you get to a high $ amount and very large position you can not just sell out of all of it at once in some cases as you would move the market and get a poor price in the end and its better to scale out in smaller chunks pennies off each other....(though thats not likely the case for most in here, if i had to guess)

It is a tough thing to wrap your brain around but trust me thats the way you should trade out of positions...set your levels and expectations and be firm in your decision. When ppl start looking at the $$$$ involved in the trade/position they start to involve emotional decisions that effect their outcome, which they should avoid...I've done it many many times, and used to think just like you say too, but quickly learned that I was wrong. At first when I was raised in account size and position size got bigger I tended to book money quicker than I would when I had smaller positions....This is wrong thinking, and through a journal it was clear I was missing out huge(% wise) on taking chunks earlier as opposed to when I traded with smaller size...The main thing is whatever your strategy is before when you are winning, it should stay the same when you move up in size.

If I buy 10 shares or I buy 1000 shares of something, I will have the same entry and exit points I will be looking to buy/sell X% of the allotment...

*Thats a real good job btw with that investment you had! That time period from '06 till now was a hairy one at times, and to stick through it says a lot!

*Some decent tips on this I could give would be the following:

1) have zero emotion involved in the decision

2) do NOT look at the $$ just look at the trade itself and stay the course of your initial plan

3) When you enter the trade, write down your strategy and plan for entry and exits detailed out

4) when exited of the trade and its over, go back over it and review what happened exactly good and bad, keep a journal and see if you notice things...ie you could see after the fact the stocks you are picking and losing in, are great ideas that ended up working out in your favor if you would of held longer....(so this would tell you to try relaxing your stop levels some going forward to test...)

5-10) have zero emotion involved in the decision(probably one of the hardest ones to do, day in and out)

Your exit strategy, no matter if $50 or $50,000 should be identical for the most part. This is something that is engraved into you as you learn to handle more and more money...the only difference mainly being that when you get to a high $ amount and very large position you can not just sell out of all of it at once in some cases as you would move the market and get a poor price in the end and its better to scale out in smaller chunks pennies off each other....(though thats not likely the case for most in here, if i had to guess)

It is a tough thing to wrap your brain around but trust me thats the way you should trade out of positions...set your levels and expectations and be firm in your decision. When ppl start looking at the $$$$ involved in the trade/position they start to involve emotional decisions that effect their outcome, which they should avoid...I've done it many many times, and used to think just like you say too, but quickly learned that I was wrong. At first when I was raised in account size and position size got bigger I tended to book money quicker than I would when I had smaller positions....This is wrong thinking, and through a journal it was clear I was missing out huge(% wise) on taking chunks earlier as opposed to when I traded with smaller size...The main thing is whatever your strategy is before when you are winning, it should stay the same when you move up in size.

If I buy 10 shares or I buy 1000 shares of something, I will have the same entry and exit points I will be looking to buy/sell X% of the allotment...

*Thats a real good job btw with that investment you had! That time period from '06 till now was a hairy one at times, and to stick through it says a lot!

*Some decent tips on this I could give would be the following:

1) have zero emotion involved in the decision

2) do NOT look at the $$ just look at the trade itself and stay the course of your initial plan

3) When you enter the trade, write down your strategy and plan for entry and exits detailed out

4) when exited of the trade and its over, go back over it and review what happened exactly good and bad, keep a journal and see if you notice things...ie you could see after the fact the stocks you are picking and losing in, are great ideas that ended up working out in your favor if you would of held longer....(so this would tell you to try relaxing your stop levels some going forward to test...)

5-10) have zero emotion involved in the decision(probably one of the hardest ones to do, day in and out)

When me and my inner circle of friends started investing years ago we did it for simply the fun factor of maybe hitting it big one day. Eventually we started making some pretty good investment decisions which caused us to look into what we were doing a little bit more seriously. I also have a friend of mines who has been a professional investor for the last 15 years that live in DC with similar philosophies as yours and currently he can’t feed his family and his home is up for foreclosure. Now I am not gonna disagree with what you are saying, I am simply saying when it comes to the stock market there is no exact science or formula for success. What your philosophies are when dealing with the stock market is good for you and what may work for you and your peers, and what my philosophies are is working for me and my friends currently. I understand you have experience in the industry and I respect that but I am also accountant with mba’s in finance and accounting so I do have some knowledge as well. Again I can only speak for myself and my personal success when it comes to trading, this hobby of mines has single handedly padded all me and my friends retirement accounts.

Anyway back to the topic of this thread, as of right now sprint stock is at $5.37 and in my humble opinion I think purchasing sprint stock is a good idea with the way its been trending for the last couple of months or so.

When me and my inner circle of friends started investing years ago we did it for simply the fun factor of maybe hitting it big one day. Eventually we started making some pretty good investment decisions which caused us to look into what we were doing a little bit more seriously. I also have a friend of mines who has been a professional investor for the last 15 years that live in DC with similar philosophies as yours and currently he can’t feed his family and his home is up for foreclosure. Now I am not gonna disagree with what you are saying, I am simply saying when it comes to the stock market there is no exact science or formula for success. What your philosophies are when dealing with the stock market is good for you and what may work for you and your peers, and what my philosophies are is working for me and my friends currently. I understand you have experience in the industry and I respect that but I am also accountant with mba’s in finance and accounting so I do have some knowledge as well. Again I can only speak for myself and my personal success when it comes to trading, this hobby of mines has single handedly padded all me and my friends retirement accounts.

Anyway back to the topic of this thread, as of right now sprint stock is at $5.37 and in my humble opinion I think purchasing sprint stock is a good idea with the way its been trending for the last couple of months or so.

no worries man. Everyone has their own strategy and thats expected, as if everyone had the same strategy and thought process/ideas then there wouldn't be a market at all. lol

Thats truly a sad story about your friend btw...I know a good handful that have/are going through somewhat similar situations in that industry...I got out and transitioned away from solely providing by that nature as it got to the point where it was not worth it in the end to me, esp the day trading aspect of it, which used to make up a gigantic portion of the area...HFT's crushing the exchange rebate's killed that area a lot from what it used to be....

One thing that holds true almost always though....buy the rumor sell the news. lol.....Sprint stock having a lil more news than usual with their recent highs made....the thing taking a little time off will be greatly welcomed by me... :)

• Like 1

no worries man. Everyone has their own strategy and thats expected, as if everyone had the same strategy and thought process/ideas then there wouldn't be a market at all. lol

Thats truly a sad story about your friend btw...I know a good handful that have/are going through somewhat similar situations in that industry...I got out and transitioned away from solely providing by that nature as it got to the point where it was not worth it in the end to me, esp the day trading aspect of it, which used to make up a gigantic portion of the area...HFT's crushing the exchange rebate's killed that area a lot from what it used to be....

One thing that holds true almost always though....buy the rumor sell the news. lol.....Sprint stock having a lil more news than usual with their recent highs made....the thing taking a little time off will be greatly welcomed by me... :)

Definitely

We can't all have BRK.A stock holdings. There has been some good investment advice here. I need to get back into the game myself. I forgot to jump on the Sprint bandwagon as I thought I had automatic investments setup (apparently sprint wasn't part of my auto investing portfolio). Oh well, there is plenty money to be had in the stock market if you aren't overly emotional

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but i was wondering what u guys thinks about investing in clearwire stock. i was thinking about purchasing 100 shares or so

I don't give investment advice. Maybe someone else will for you.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner