Sprint Stock Good Idea?

JustinRP37

I am just looking to see what everyone thinks about Sprint's stock. As you all probably know Sprint stock has been below $3.00 a share for quite some time. It has been downgraded, but recently there are some big names taking notice of NV and saying that S is a cautious buy now. They still have a lot of debt and have yet to turn a profit in many quarters, but if NV is a success and they prove it to the rest of the nation, then investment may start to pay back. I am very cautious right now with my S forecasts and do not personally own any S stock. However, if all goes well, then I can see this stock easily finishing up $2.00-$5.00 by the end of the year. The main things that would prevent this are:

1) Keeping investors out of the loop (something they are great at and continue to do)

2) Clearwire problems (Sprint is the majority owner and Clearwire is still not run well in the eyes of investors)

3) NV Budget (If the project comes in significantly over budget there will be problems)

4) NV Performance (If NV improves the network but it is still overly congested when compared with ATT and Big Red then people will not switch back to Sprint)

I still personally hate the fact that Verizon and ATT get off charging so much for such little data, but I have to say the performance they offer is pretty amazing. Today my Sprint 3G was pulling a whooping 39kbps down and could not even load m.espn.com to track college basketball. Needless to say my Kindle keyboard on ATT pulled the same site down in less than 3 seconds. NV is badly needed in NYC. One of the buildings I work in in the Bronx unfortunately does not get WiMAX and 3G is super slow. Other times the 3G is pulling 800kbps down.

I am just looking to see what everyone thinks about Sprint's stock. As you all probably know Sprint stock has been below $3.00 a share for quite some time. It has been downgraded, but recently there are some big names taking notice of NV and saying that S is a cautious buy now. They still have a lot of debt and have yet to turn a profit in many quarters, but if NV is a success and they prove it to the rest of the nation, then investment may start to pay back. I am very cautious right now with my S forecasts and do not personally own any S stock. However, if all goes well, then I can see this stock easily finishing up $2.00-$5.00 by the end of the year. The main things that would prevent this are:

1) Keeping investors out of the loop (something they are great at and continue to do)

2) Clearwire problems (Sprint is the majority owner and Clearwire is still not run well in the eyes of investors)

3) NV Budget (If the project comes in significantly over budget there will be problems)

4) NV Performance (If NV improves the network but it is still overly congested when compared with ATT and Big Red then people will not switch back to Sprint)

I still personally hate the fact that Verizon and ATT get off charging so much for such little data, but I have to say the performance they offer is pretty amazing. Today my Sprint 3G was pulling a whooping 39kbps down and could not even load m.espn.com to track college basketball. Needless to say my Kindle keyboard on ATT pulled the same site down in less than 3 seconds. NV is badly needed in NYC. One of the buildings I work in in the Bronx unfortunately does not get WiMAX and 3G is super slow. Other times the 3G is pulling 800kbps down.

Background in finance here, did day trading for a hedge fund for over 4yrs too.

Personally I bought a tiny amount of sprint and clearwire last year. Did sprint when they got slammed on the lightsquared news and clearwire when they got ditches for not being in the NV conference or before that...

I view them both as cheap long long term investments personally thy I expect to get nothing out of for awhile given their finances.....though neither are going anywhere and any kind of deal with either will spike them up decently and that's why I'm sitting in them small for now.

It's not a position I expect much anytime soon at all but the possibility for big deals to happen for them is out there IMHO. And at this price your risking what bankruptcy? What's the lkilihood that happens?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Background in finance here, did day trading for a hedge fund for over 4yrs too. Personally I bought a tiny amount of sprint and clearwire last year. Did sprint when they got slammed on the lightsquared news and clearwire when they got ditches for not being in the NV conference or before that... I view them both as cheap long long term investments personally thy I expect to get nothing out of for awhile given their finances.....though neither are going anywhere and any kind of deal with either will spike them up decently and that's why I'm sitting in them small for now. It's not a position I expect much anytime soon at all but the possibility for big deals to happen for them is out there IMHO. And at this price your risking what bankruptcy? What's the lkilihood that happens? Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

True I like what you say. I tend to agree with everything they say. Also, many reports are saying to buy for LONG positions. I don't think Sprint would go bankrupt, but I do think a major deal would be more likely if the outlook does not improve. Both have a good deal of valuable spectrum. I have just been thinking about adding them to my small portfolio since I do see so much potential there. Especially with NV underway.

Agreed. Even if NV is a resounding success, Sprint's fundamentals are still screwy and investors hate that. Too much LT debt, saddled with new debt being issued and refinanced. Clearwire sitting on the edge of the abyss and everyone knows no matter what Sprints goals or financials are; they are Clear's lifeline. Uncertainty with Hesse and the board and did I mention debt?

Sprint may back away from the edge in a year or so, but I would guess a couple years minimum before you see any worthwhile stock appreciation.

7% is less than 20 cents a share though.

7% in one day is a huge return on any investment. If you can find that kind of one day return on any investment, please let me know.

Well, Sprint did gain 7% yesterday. But I'm still upside down on my investment by 7.25 of my 9.95 trading fee. Supposedly Sprint went up as a result of the upcoming termination of the Lightsquared deal.

Well, I do quite a bit of investing myself and for the most part I personally don't hold anything long term at all. I monitor all my investments at least every day to every other day. When I bought my sprint stock it was at $3.35 and when it peaked last summer at almost $6 I decided to sell it and looking back at that decision obviously it was a good idea. Now recently its been hovering around $2.30 for several weeks and I really wanted to by some more again. With sprint making these new announcements about network upgrades and nv/lte I do believe that investors and consumers alike will start to regain their confidence in sprint which in turn should raise their stock price. Personally I will end up buying more sprint stock in the next few days, because I do believe that their price will get back up to $4 to $5 by year end.

@Macinjosh

7% return in one day is one hell of an investment. I know where you are coming from and I know its hard to not look at it as far as dollars and cents but using percentages is the best way to go and gives you a better understanding as far as growth goes. I have some cd's at my bank right now that are getting a whopping 0.9% apy.

Well, I do quite a bit of investing myself and for the most part I personally don't hold anything long term at all. I monitor all my investments at least every day to every other day. When I bought my sprint stock it was at $3.35 and when it peaked last summer at almost $6 I decided to sell it and looking back at that decision obviously it was a good idea. Now recently its been hovering around $2.30 for several weeks and I really wanted to by some more again. With sprint making these new announcements about network upgrades and nv/lte I do believe that investors and consumers alike will start to regain their confidence in sprint which in turn should raise their stock price. Personally I will end up buying more sprint stock in the next few days, because I do believe that their price will get back up to $4 to $5 by year end.

@Macinjosh

7% return in one day is one hell of an investment. I know where you are coming from and I know its hard to not look at it as far as dollars and cents but using percentages is the best way to go and gives you a better understanding as far as growth goes. I have some cd's at my bank right now that are getting a whopping 0.9% apy.

If NV goes right like we think it will, Sprint should be hitting $10/share by the middle of next year if not the end of this one. And I was only able to buy 10 shares, which makes it look grimmer to me when the shares fall like they did the other day. I also purchased 11 shares of Clearwire, but I'm currently upside down more than my trading fee, so we will see where that goes.

Well, Sprint did gain 7% yesterday. But I'm still upside down on my investment by 7.25 of my 9.95 trading fee. Supposedly Sprint went up as a result of the upcoming termination of the Lightsquared deal.

Which makes little sense because that means they have to pay back that giant sum of money to them no?

@Macinjosh

Different style here and that's more closely to the style I did at the hedge fund except I was even more short term than this.

Agree % is best way to look at it regardless. BUT you really should focus on your risk/reward and always be shoting for at least 2x the reward of your risk. When reward is reached book at least some of profits and re-evaluate the position from there.

To me I'm risking them going bankrupt so i need to see a spike to 9 before I start re-evaluating. That or a decent spike on news to sell some...

If NV goes right like we think it will, Sprint should be hitting $10/share by the middle of next year if not the end of this one. And I was only able to buy 10 shares, which makes it look grimmer to me when the shares fall like they did the other day. I also purchased 11 shares of Clearwire, but I'm currently upside down more than my trading fee, so we will see where that goes.

Honestly I don't expect their shares to reach that high so soon but you never know. I think I will go ahead and buy some stock right now and see how it goes. As of right now sprints stock is already up another 7.39% for the day. Their stock hasn't seen this much positive activity in a while.

Different style here and that's more closely to the style I did at the hedge fund except I was even more short term than this.

Agree % is best way to look at it regardless. BUT you really should focus on your risk/reward and always be shoting for at least 2x the reward of your risk. When reward is reached book at least some of profits and re-evaluate the position from there.

To me I'm risking them going bankrupt so i need to see a spike to 9 before I start re-evaluating. That or a decent spike on news to sell some...

Yeah, I have been insanely lucky buying and selling stocks over the last several years all of which where short term investments which kills me on taxes but overall it has been more than worth it so far.

Which makes little sense because that means they have to pay back that giant sum of money to them no?

What giant sum of money? I paid Sharebuilder 9.95 to purchase my 10 shares of Sprint.

• Like 1

What giant sum of money? I paid Sharebuilder 9.95 to purchase my 10 shares of Sprint.

Not u, Sprint. They have to pay lightsquared back the initial investment...hence doesn't make sense to go up on that news really....

Rumors are abound on the yahoo finance board that Sprint is going through a merger or buyout. I'm hoping that whatever happens to sprint will positively effect clearwire stock. I'm at 1.80, want to see it rise to 3.00.

• Like 1

Rumors are abound on the yahoo finance board that Sprint is going through a merger or buyout. I'm hoping that whatever happens to sprint will positively effect clearwire stock. I'm at 1.80, want to see it rise to 3.00.

I too am in CLWR. I have no S stock though.

- Robert

Looks like the CFO had a meeting with some investors today. That seems to have generated some positive feeling. I think a merger/acquisition/network sharing deal has to be in the works. Other than that there's no real news that would account for the spike in stock price.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/03/09/sprint-jumps-7-cfo-meeting-may-have-helped/?mod=yahoobarrons

Now I could see that being the case somewhat...

I see that being too since Sprint jumped almost 40 cents in the 2 days after it was announced.

I see that being too since Sprint jumped almost 40 cents in the 2 days after it was announced.

yeah threw out some limits for some more of both case the get hit. Have to view clear as a super long term investment if not for a new buyout spike b/c the price action is just horrid in the stock itself right now....thing retraced the move it made over the lightsquared sprint break up news the other day...sometimes your the bug sometimes your the windshield...

yeah threw out some limits for some more of both case the get hit. Have to view clear as a super long term investment if not for a new buyout spike b/c the price action is just horrid in the stock itself right now....thing retraced the move it made over the lightsquared sprint break up news the other day...sometimes your the bug sometimes your the windshield...

Yeah, my shares in Clearwire are falling and I'm under what I paid per share before my trading fee. Guess I should have bought more Sprint instead. Oh well.