Sprint Stock Good Idea?

JustinRP37

I'd be really surprised if the iPhone 5 will do LTE in PCS anyway. They already have to make two different versions in LTE: one for AT&T and one for Verizon since they can't make both bands work in a single device due the filtering issues. The third version would be similar to the "world phone" iPhone 4s they have today except it'll probably also support AWS to let T-Mobile join the party. I would also think the two LTE versions (AT&T and Verizon) will also do LTE in AWS, since AT&T will have to use AWS from the get-go and Verizon will likely be cranking up their AWS LTE with the phase 3 LTE rollouts early next year as they finish their whole footprint.

I fully expect that Apple will have LTE support in the PCS band this October. Lets not kid ourselves here. Every single one of the major carriers including the regional carriers have PCS spectrum since it is such a large spectrum band. This is not like Apple would be bending over just to accommodate Sprint only. I don't see why they wouldn't support 700, AWS and PCS bands in this upcoming iPhone. There has been no official plans as of yet for actual deployment of LTE at AWS spectrum this year. There is just a lot of discussion and speculation on Verizon and ATT's part that they plan to use the AWS spectrum band as their next target for LTE deployment. Obviously Verizon and ATT's plan for LTE at AWS spectrum right now is contingent on obtaining more AWS spectrum. AT&T and Verizon both can't currently deploy AWS spectrum nationwide since Verizon's AWS spectrum licenses are only on the east coast and ATT's are only on the west coast and not to mention that ATT gave up a huge chunk to Tmobile as part of the break up fee. As AJ eluded before, ATT might have to resort to even deploying LTE at PCS band next if they can't obtain more AWS spectrum.

From the Verizon Q4 CC, only 5% of Verizon customers are on 4G LTE so that tells me that they still have plenty of room in the 700 Mhz 10x10 carrier that needs to be filled up first. For Apple it would only be prudent to support Band Class 25 since that covers PCS blocks A-G which is a huge block of spectrum and not to mention a major customer in Sprint depends on it for its LTE needs.

I thought that the government has a specific use for the H-Block PCS and it has to be used for the purpose that was outlined when congress approved the bill.

I really hope that there is a purpose in the bill and that it has to be used for LTE service. If so then that benefits Sprint since we all know that verizon, ATT and Tmobile dont plan to launch LTE at PCS band. Also it would make sense to give it to Sprint since there will be no interference issues unlike if it were given to Verizon, ATT or Tmobile.

I really hope that there is a purpose in the bill and that it has to be used for LTE service. If so then that benefits Sprint since we all know that verizon, ATT and Tmobile dont plan to launch LTE at PCS band. Also it would make sense to give it to Sprint since there will be no interference issues unlike if it were given to Verizon, ATT or Tmobile.

Yes the bill specified that the H-block was to be used for LTE and I think, but don't quote me, that it was supposed to be used for a nationwide emergency broadband network for law enforcement and emergency personnel.

Yes the bill specified that the H-block was to be used for LTE and I think, but don't quote me, that it was supposed to be used for a nationwide emergency broadband network for law enforcement and emergency personnel.

I thought that was what the 700 Mhz LTE public safety band was used for. I didn't think the H block would be considered as public safety. I really hope not. Besides 1900 Mhz is not that great for public safety given that its propagation characteristics aren't as good as the 700 Mhz band.

I thought that was what the 700 Mhz LTE public safety band was used for. I didn't think the H block would be considered as public safety. I really hope not. Besides 1900 Mhz is not that great for public safety given that its propagation characteristics aren't as good as the 700 Mhz band.

You are right, I guess I forgot. However, the issue at hand is not whether the other carriers will ever use the PCS spectrum to deploy LTE, it's whether at&t and Verizon will buy parts of the H-block just to squat on like they do with other spectrum just so that Sprint can't acquire the full nationwide H-block since it will be done by auction.

3GPP band class 26 will take care of that. Band class 26 is a superset of band class 5 (Cellular 850 MHz) and band class 18 (SMR 800 MHz). Since both Cellular and SMR are adjacent and use the same 45 MHz FDD offset, it makes perfect sense to consolidate them into one band class.

AJ

Except that transmissions in the ESMR band are governed by FCC rule 90S versus cellular band rules of Part 22H. I believe the EIRP limits are different and that's why they're still treated seperately (and tested seperately) to this day. As long as the FCC governs these two bands separately, there will have to be additional precautions made in the devices.

I fully expect that Apple will have LTE support in the PCS band this October. Lets not kid ourselves here. Every single one of the major carriers including the regional carriers have PCS spectrum since it is such a large spectrum band. This is not like Apple would be bending over just to accommodate Sprint only. I don't see why they wouldn't support 700, AWS and PCS bands in this upcoming iPhone. There has been no official plans as of yet for actual deployment of LTE at AWS spectrum this year. There is just a lot of discussion and speculation on Verizon and ATT's part that they plan to use the AWS spectrum band as their next target for LTE deployment. Obviously Verizon and ATT's plan for LTE at AWS spectrum right now is contingent on obtaining more AWS spectrum. AT&T and Verizon both can't currently deploy AWS spectrum nationwide since Verizon's AWS spectrum licenses are only on the east coast and ATT's are only on the west coast and not to mention that ATT gave up a huge chunk to Tmobile as part of the break up fee. As AJ eluded before, ATT might have to resort to even deploying LTE at PCS band next if they can't obtain more AWS spectrum.

From the Verizon Q4 CC, only 5% of Verizon customers are on 4G LTE so that tells me that they still have plenty of room in the 700 Mhz 10x10 carrier that needs to be filled up first. For Apple it would only be prudent to support Band Class 25 since that covers PCS blocks A-G which is a huge block of spectrum and not to mention a major customer in Sprint depends on it for its LTE needs.

Verizon is trying to buy 20MHz or so of AWS on the west coast from the cablecos right now... But, VZW could also use PCS for LTE. In my area, they aren't using any PCS (they have 30 MHz of PCS here), since they run 9 carriers in their Cellular 850 spectrum here, so they could do either (or both).

The problem is the difficulty of making an LTE device that supports more than one (or maybe two) bands due to the physical limits for antenna & RF hardware. Apple will have to make two different models for AT&T and Verizon already as it's not presently possible to make a single device work for both bands without interference exceeding FCC limits. I assume they'd use AWS as the "other" LTE frequency since that seems to be headed toward the universal band for that here in the U.S., but time will tell.

Verizon is trying to buy 20MHz or so of AWS on the west coast from the cablecos right now... But, VZW could also use PCS for LTE. In my area, they aren't using any PCS (they have 30 MHz of PCS here), since they run 9 carriers in their Cellular 850 spectrum here, so they could do either (or both).

The problem is the difficulty of making an LTE device that supports more than one (or maybe two) bands due to the physical limits for antenna & RF hardware. Apple will have to make two different models for AT&T and Verizon already as it's not presently possible to make a single device work for both bands without interference exceeding FCC limits. I assume they'd use AWS as the "other" LTE frequency since that seems to be headed toward the universal band for that here in the U.S., but time will tell.

I am fully aware of Verizon buying the AWS spectrum from the CableCos. Nothing is final until it is approved by the FCC. Until then we can't assume that they have the AWS spectrum just yet. We know that Tmobile doens't even have the iPhone and even if they did, they won't have LTE until late 2013. Why support LTE in the iPhone 5 on a spectrum band where there is no LTE deployment when clearly that LTE is being deployed on PCS for a while now. Do you honestly think that Apple would alienate its good buddy in Sprint who threw 15.5 billion to purchase all those iPhones from them?

I am not saying don't support AWS band ever but until a carrier steps up and swears on their life that they will have LTE service on AWS spectrum in 2012, why waste precious antenna space on knowing that LTE at PCS is a reality? Knowing Verizon and ATT's track record, they are probably planning to hoard the AWS spectrum anyways and have no use for it until 2013/2014. I think the majority of folks are giving both these companies too much credit in believing them. Verizon and ATT both have a ton of spectrum that they currently own which are still not deployed and you think they will deploy LTE at AWS that quickly? HA! If you ask AJ, he can tell you of evidence that ATT and Verizon do not fully deploy all their spare spectrum.

I doubt even the 10x10 LTE carrier at 700 Mhz is even half full. Verizon and ATT have to say all these statements about OMG there is spectrum crisis to convince the FCC that there is a spectrum crunch to sell them the spectrum when in reality they haven't hit the brink point yet.

• Like 1

I am fully aware of Verizon buying the AWS spectrum from the CableCos. Nothing is final until it is approved by the FCC. Until then we can't assume that they have the AWS spectrum just yet. We know that Tmobile doens't even have the iPhone and even if they did, they won't have LTE until late 2013. Why support LTE in the iPhone 5 on a spectrum band where there is no LTE deployment when clearly that LTE is being deployed on PCS for a while now. Do you honestly think that Apple would alienate its good buddy in Sprint who threw 15.5 billion to purchase all those iPhones from them?

I am not saying don't support AWS band ever but until a carrier steps up and swears on their life that they will have LTE service on AWS spectrum in 2012, why waste precious antenna space on knowing that LTE at PCS is a reality? Knowing Verizon and ATT's track record, they are probably planning to hoard the AWS spectrum anyways and have no use for it until 2013/2014. I think the majority of folks are giving both these companies too much credit in believing them. Verizon and ATT both have a ton of spectrum that they currently own which are still not deployed and you think they will deploy LTE at AWS that quickly? HA! If you ask AJ, he can tell you of evidence that ATT and Verizon do not fully deploy all their spare spectrum.

I doubt even the 10x10 LTE carrier at 700 Mhz is even half full. Verizon and ATT have to say all these statements about OMG there is spectrum crisis to convince the FCC that there is a spectrum crunch to sell them the spectrum when in reality they haven't hit the brink point yet.

Obviously we're all guessing what the future will be and only time will tell, but I do know that Verizon is planning VoLTE only feature phones (flip phones) for next year. When they do this, it would make a lot of sense to have them on LTE in AWS. The higher frequency means much smaller antennas and much less space required between the receive diversity array since 700 MHz LTE has a wavelength of 42.5 cm and the receive (2100 MHz) AWS is 14.2 cm.

As far as their current LTE loading, I've heard that speeds in NYC and other crowded areas are occasionally dropping below 15 mbps on LTE, so they'll probably be looking to do something sooner rather than later.

Everyone likes picking on the little guy...

That, and the fat kid too.

Although, T-Mobile is the little guy in the US

Sent from Josh's Evo Shift 4G using Forum Runner

• 4 weeks later...
Clearwire was down to 1.52 today after the Verizon spectrum sale news. Then it has already climbed back up to 1.76 before I bought any...

Talk about depressing numbers. I paid an effective price of 2.24/share. :(

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

Clearwire was down to 1.52 today after the Verizon spectrum sale news. Then it has already climbed back up to 1.76 before I bought any...

I bought CLWR at $1.61. Wish I was paying attention at $1.52, I would hsve doubled down.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• 1 month later...

The problem as we've discussed before is that the software has nothing to do with it. The problem is the analog RF IC preamp/LNA & Diplexer / Filter. We still don't know how to make these totally adjustable parts. The SDR (software-defined radios) that Sprint will use still have analog IC electronics that make the transmitter work-- the software part simply lets them load (flash) an LTE or CDMA 1xA or CDMA EVDO Rev. B/A/0 carrier on whichever transmitter that is built into the device. The software and baseband processor are easy-- we're already there. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who has designed an analog diplexer/LNA/filter that is totally programmable, software-adjustable, and can meet the tight emission standards of the various FCC standards (90S/24E/22H) necessary to be approved for use.

I do believe my local Qualcomm is headed in the right direction. I have long said that someone (you still listening Google?) needs to make a truly worldphone capable of handling most every band so that we could simply buy the device and then use it on any choice of carrier, much like the rest of the world does

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/06/qualcomm-working-on-a-chip-that-would-support-multiple-multiple-lte-bands-carrier-networks/

I am heavy on Clearwire (50%) and 45% Sprint. But today there was something really suprising. Around 9:55 AM some SOB sold 32 million shares ( 32,481,344 to be exact) But, when I called my broker, they said that the sell came out of Chicago and that the Options for this stock ends today. But I think it put a lot of investor's on hold.

For me, I see some incredible things with the stock within the next three months and I don't care if the stock drops to 3 cents. I'm not selling. While doing research on the stock the other day, (I am always trying to find new things on the stock) I can across this FCC Docket about how Dish network was to build a 4G network to compete against AT&T and Verizon. Excuse me! Why not compete against Sprint?

Well, in this docket Dish talkes about a relationship with Sprint and Clearwire: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021918388

You see, I read an article in which the CEO say that his daughter's friends comeover to the house to watch movies. But they are watching the movies on Hulu on their computer and he realized that he needed to change the direct of the company. so, he set up a relationship with Qualcomm and have spent $$$ in new dual chips for LTE and WiMax.....hum, that's interesting. Check out the docket.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Headcoach

I am heavy on Clearwire (50%) and 45% Sprint. But today there was something really suprising. Around 9:55 AM some SOB sold 32 million shares ( 32,481,344 to be exact) But, when I called my broker, they said that the sell came out of Chicago and that the Options for this stock ends today. But I think it put a lot of investor's on hold.

For me, I see some incredible things with the stock within the next three months and I don't care if the stock drops to 3 cents. I'm not selling. While doing research on the stock the other day, (I am always trying to find new things on the stock) I can across this FCC Docket about how Dish network was to build a 4G network to compete against AT&T and Verizon. Excuse me! Why not compete against Sprint?

Well, in this docket Dish talkes about a relationship with Sprint and Clearwire: http://apps.fcc.gov/...w?id=7021918388

You see, I read an article in which the CEO say that his daughter's friends comeover to the house to watch movies. But they are watching the movies on Hulu on their computer and he realized that he needed to change the direct of the company. so, he set up a relationship with Qualcomm and have spent $$$ in new dual chips for LTE and WiMax.....hum, that's interesting. Check out the docket.

Hope this helps!

I did a search on the document and could not come up with the Sprint or Clearwire names. What page are they mentioned?

Bumping this thread back up since Sprint's shares are now trading at around $3.18. That's up about 11% from the start of the 2nd qtr. If you bought in at the low of $2.34 you'd be up 35.9% Anybody glad they bought share when they did?

My effective price potter share after trading fee is 3.33/share. I'm about to break even. I'm happy. I'm hoping to make a profit of $10 so I can sell it. I need the extra cash right now.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner