Sprint Stock Good Idea?

JustinRP37

Yeah' date=' my shares in Clearwire are falling and I'm under what I paid per share before my trading fee. Guess I should have bought more Sprint instead. Oh well.[/quote']

CLWR is very volatile. One good announcement, it can shoot up 30% in a day.

Posted via Forum Runner

CLWR is very volatile. One good announcement, it can shoot up 30% in a day.

Posted via Forum Runner

Yup Yup, but one thing I feel strong about is that they are not going under...too much spectrum. At the very least sprint buys them. They can't afford to not have their spectrum less sprint finds extra $ to win future auctions.....but at that point I'd bet tech has improved enough to make very good use of signal on mobile devices with the 2.5GHz freq...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this today.

Bernstein believes the next generation LTE iPhone will be badly disadvantaged on Sprint's network, which will impact sales, and that the company doesn't have enough spectrum to offer a competitive 4G offering. Price target lowered to $1.75 from $2.50.

This might depress their price further. It will be a cheap time to buy, but losing any more value off of their share price will hurt their NV project.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-downgraded-underperform-market-perform-110656767.html

Saw this today.

This might depress their price further. It will be a cheap time to buy, but losing any more value off of their share price will hurt their NV project.

http://finance.yahoo...-110656767.html

He is so full of s*** it's coming out of his nose. People like him should be stuffed and roasted for comments like that. And I sure hope their stock price doesn't fall to 1.75 a share.

He is so full of s*** it's coming out of his nose. People like him should be stuffed and roasted for comments like that. And I sure hope their stock price doesn't fall to 1.75 a share.

I would not mind. I would opt back into the employee stock purchase program. LOL

If you listen to analysts all the time, you should not be investing in the stock market. These analysts get things wrong all the time especially when it comes to estimates and stock price projections. Things in business are so dynamic that at any moment it can look better or worse than it really is. I have a coworker that tells me that when analysts are downgrading the stock, most likely they are trying to drive down the demand and cause us retail investors to sell our shares so that their firm and other big boys can go through accumulation of shares. Once they are done with accumulation, the analysts posts an "upgrade" report on the stock based on some fact that we already knew so that us retail investors would start buying back our shares to drive up the price.

I am not saying that this is the case with Sprint but just letting you know that if you do you due diligence and yet the analysts post a downgrade or neutral rating, you shouldn't necessarily trust their judgement all the time.

If you listen to analysts all the time, you should not be investing in the stock market. These analysts get things wrong all the time especially when it comes to estimates and stock price projections. Things in business are so dynamic that at any moment it can look better or worse than it really is. I have a coworker that tells me that when analysts are downgrading the stock, most likely they are trying to drive down the demand and cause us retail investors to sell our shares so that their firm and other big boys can go through accumulation of shares. Once they are done with accumulation, the analysts posts an "upgrade" report on the stock based on some fact that we already knew so that us retail investors would start buying back our shares to drive up the price.

I am not saying that this is the case with Sprint but just letting you know that if you do you due diligence and yet the analysts post a downgrade or neutral rating, you shouldn't necessarily trust their judgement all the time.

I fully agree with what you are saying but the problem is whether they are right, wrong or simply talking out of their ass their words carry a lot of weight. So even though they may be dead wrong it could still affect how that stock is trading and cause people to prematurely sell what they have which will cause the price to drop. When that price drops it causes other shareholders to get nervous and then they start to sell as well and it basically snow balls from there. Even seasoned traders would probably sell if they are the day trading types, then they will just repurchase at a later date if necessary.

This guy's analysis was strictly based upon a 4G LTE spectrum point-of-view with the assumption that the iPhone 5 will be at a disadvantage on Sprint. It remains to be seen what the new iPhone will support. Based upon the new iPad, we could assume they'll make 3 versions of the iPhone5: one version for AT&T/regional lower 700 LTE + AWS LTE, a second version for Verizon upper 700 LTE + AWS LTE, and a third version that is GSM/GPRS/HSPA/CDMA/EVDO 850/AWS/PCS for everyone. I don't know how many versions Apple will want to keep track of, and they've given no indication of supporting ESMR 800 MHz band in any way whatsoever. I would think the iPhone is a non-issue.

If I were sounding stock alarms for Sprint, it would be due to their high debt level (over $22 billion now) plus the $15+ billion Apple obligations and $5-6 billion unfunded NV future costs over the next few years. Sprint does have a rough road ahead, and any significant churn, loss of subscribers / revenue, or future loan / bond sale disruptions will really hurt them.

• Like 1

This guy's analysis was strictly based upon a 4G LTE spectrum point-of-view with the assumption that the iPhone 5 will be at a disadvantage on Sprint. It remains to be seen what the new iPhone will support. Based upon the new iPad' date=' we could assume they'll make 3 versions of the iPhone5: one version for AT&T/regional lower 700 LTE + AWS LTE, a second version for Verizon upper 700 LTE + AWS LTE, and a third version that is GSM/GPRS/HSPA/CDMA/EVDO 850/AWS/PCS for everyone. I don't know how many versions Apple will want to keep track of, and they've given no indication of supporting ESMR 800 MHz band in any way whatsoever. I would think the iPhone is a non-issue.

If I were sounding stock alarms for Sprint, it would be due to their high debt level (over 22 billion now) plus the 15+ billion Apple obligations and 5-6 billion unfunded NV future costs over the next few years. Sprint does have a rough road ahead, and any significant churn, loss of subscribers / revenue, or future loan / bond sale disruptions will really hurt them.[/quote']

Now this would have been a much more realistic write up. That guy missed the mark.

Robert

This guy's analysis was strictly based upon a 4G LTE spectrum point-of-view with the assumption that the iPhone 5 will be at a disadvantage on Sprint. It remains to be seen what the new iPhone will support. Based upon the new iPad, we could assume they'll make 3 versions of the iPhone5: one version for AT&T/regional lower 700 LTE + AWS LTE, a second version for Verizon upper 700 LTE + AWS LTE, and a third version that is GSM/GPRS/HSPA/CDMA/EVDO 850/AWS/PCS for everyone. I don't know how many versions Apple will want to keep track of, and they've given no indication of supporting ESMR 800 MHz band in any way whatsoever. I would think the iPhone is a non-issue.

If I were sounding stock alarms for Sprint, it would be due to their high debt level (over $22 billion now) plus the $15+ billion Apple obligations and $5-6 billion unfunded NV future costs over the next few years. Sprint does have a rough road ahead, and any significant churn, loss of subscribers / revenue, or future loan / bond sale disruptions will really hurt them.

I think his note on the iPhone and LTE was mainly due to thinking sprint won't be able to compete with VZ and ATT at the new iPhone LTE launch in that they won't have even half the LTE cities lit up that VZ and ATT will at its supposed launch...that in itself would hurt iPhone sales on Sprint and in turn make it hard for them to keep up with their iPhone selling pace to complete the agreement, which when compounded with the debt coming to maturity in 2015 makes for a bad situation...

If they could push new iPhone LTE this year like others will it'll make it easier to meet the agreement and might even help the balance sheet out too...missing this year would miss all the LTE iPhones and you couldn't get them as customers for 2yrs bc of contracts which would put it much closer to the debt maturity...

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

Well, Sprint will, without a doubt, have a pile of markets that will be announced as "live" by the time the iPhone is released (even if the city is only 10% complete). The iPhone will still do 3G, have unlimited data on Sprint and have the promise of LTE coming. I don't think Sprint will have much problem selling iPhones. They may not draw the new customers that they did with the 4S, but most people that buy iPhones have no idea what 4G even is and won't even figure out that their data speeds aren't what was advertised. The only thing Sprint has to worry about, IMO, is getting Apple to put LTE on the Sprint version of the iPhone.

I'd be really surprised if the iPhone 5 will do LTE in PCS anyway. They already have to make two different versions in LTE: one for AT&T and one for Verizon since they can't make both bands work in a single device due the filtering issues. The third version would be similar to the "world phone" iPhone 4s they have today except it'll probably also support AWS to let T-Mobile join the party. I would also think the two LTE versions (AT&T and Verizon) will also do LTE in AWS, since AT&T will have to use AWS from the get-go and Verizon will likely be cranking up their AWS LTE with the phase 3 LTE rollouts early next year as they finish their whole footprint.

I'd be really surprised if the iPhone 5 will do LTE in PCS anyway. They already have to make two different versions in LTE: one for AT&T and one for Verizon since they can't make both bands work in a single device due the filtering issues. The third version would be similar to the "world phone" iPhone 4s they have today except it'll probably also support AWS to let T-Mobile join the party. I would also think the two LTE versions (AT&T and Verizon) will also do LTE in AWS, since AT&T will have to use AWS from the get-go and Verizon will likely be cranking up their AWS LTE with the phase 3 LTE rollouts early next year as they finish their whole footprint.

Really need to get this to where its all software controlled in the future....least for apples sake...walk in and say you want sprint so they pull out a blank iPhone and run an RUU to flash the carrier specific firmware and ur gtg...lol

Hell then they could patent it. Haha

Really need to get this to where its all software controlled in the future....least for apples sake...walk in and say you want sprint so they pull out a blank iPhone and run an RUU to flash the carrier specific firmware and ur gtg...lol

Hell then they could patent it. Haha

The problem as we've discussed before is that the software has nothing to do with it. The problem is the analog RF IC preamp/LNA & Diplexer / Filter. We still don't know how to make these totally adjustable parts. The SDR (software-defined radios) that Sprint will use still have analog IC electronics that make the transmitter work-- the software part simply lets them load (flash) an LTE or CDMA 1xA or CDMA EVDO Rev. B/A/0 carrier on whichever transmitter that is built into the device. The software and baseband processor are easy-- we're already there. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who has designed an analog diplexer/LNA/filter that is totally programmable, software-adjustable, and can meet the tight emission standards of the various FCC standards (90S/24E/22H) necessary to be approved for use.

• Like 1

The problem as we've discussed before is that the software has nothing to do with it. The problem is the analog RF IC preamp/LNA & Diplexer / Filter. We still don't know how to make these totally adjustable parts. The SDR (software-defined radios) that Sprint will use still have analog IC electronics that make the transmitter work-- the software part simply lets them load (flash) an LTE or CDMA 1xA or CDMA EVDO Rev. B/A/0 carrier on whichever transmitter that is built into the device. The software and baseband processor are easy-- we're already there. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who has designed an analog diplexer/LNA/filter that is totally programmable, software-adjustable, and can meet the tight emission standards of the various FCC standards (90S/24E/22H) necessary to be approved for use.

Yeah ur completely right...too late in the evening here and i was thinking of extreme future at best. LOL.

Dunno why i was thinking/treating the antennae part as being as simple as a metal strip in a sense and it being controlled completely by the software flashed...doah

• Like 1

Yeah ur completely right...too late in the evening here and i was thinking of extreme future at best. LOL.

Dunno why i was thinking/treating the antennae part as being as simple as a metal strip in a sense and it being controlled completely by the software flashed...doah

I'm always hopeful of the multipurpose adaptable handset that is polymemetic ala T1000 and the TX... but by then we'll all be in hiding from the machines that have taken over the planet...

I'm always hopeful of the multipurpose adaptable handset that is polymemetic ala T1000 and the TX... but by then we'll all be in hiding from the machines that have taken over the planet...

So we need to find John Connar before its too late. Lol

• Like 1

...since AT&T will have to use AWS from the get-go...

All AT&T LTE devices do support AWS. But there is no verification thus far that AT&T has deployed any LTE in AWS. And now it may never happen. The post merger break up transfer of AWS to T-Mobile has so diminished AT&T's AWS holdings that AT&T may not be able to justify the separate planning and expense to deploy AWS in just a few markets.

I rounded up the data and produced a graph last week. AT&T now holds scant AWS but ample PCS across the top 100 markets. One thought is that AT&T may drop AWS and go PCS for its second LTE band class. Regardless, AWS looks like an uncertain or at least highly limited prospect for AT&T.

https://twitter.com/...4613376/photo/1

AJ

So we need to find John Connar before its too late. Lol

Judgement day has already passed....lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 via tapatalk

I don't know how many versions Apple will want to keep track of, and they've given no indication of supporting ESMR 800 MHz band in any way whatsoever.

3GPP band class 26 will take care of that. Band class 26 is a superset of band class 5 (Cellular 850 MHz) and band class 18 (SMR 800 MHz). Since both Cellular and SMR are adjacent and use the same 45 MHz FDD offset, it makes perfect sense to consolidate them into one band class.

AJ

All AT&T LTE devices do support AWS. But there is no verification thus far that AT&T has deployed any LTE in AWS. And now it may never happen. The post merger break up transfer of AWS to T-Mobile has so diminished AT&T's AWS holdings that AT&T may not be able to justify the separate planning and expense to deploy AWS in just a few markets.

I rounded up the data and produced a graph last week. AT&T now holds scant AWS but ample PCS across the top 100 markets. One thought is that AT&T may drop AWS and go PCS for its second LTE band class. Regardless, AWS looks like an uncertain or at least highly limited prospect for AT&T.

https://twitter.com/...4613376/photo/1

AJ

Man I hope AT&T does not invade the PCS spectrum band for LTE. Sprint really needs that PCS "H" spectrum block for additional spectrum especially in those markets that only have 15-20 Mhz of PCS spectrum currently. Ideally I want Sprint to buy nationwide licenses of the "H" block so that they can aggregate them together to deploy a 10x10 carrier with LTE-Advanced.

Id rather have Verizon, Tmobile, AT&T and the smaller regional carriers like MetroPCS and Leap fight for spectrum in the AWS band and leave the PCS band for Sprint for the taking.

Man I hope AT&T does not invade the PCS spectrum band for LTE. Sprint really needs that PCS "H" spectrum block for additional spectrum especially in those markets that only have 15-20 Mhz of PCS spectrum currently. Ideally I want Sprint to buy nationwide licenses of the "H" block so that they can aggregate them together to deploy a 10x10 carrier with LTE-Advanced.

Id rather have Verizon, Tmobile, AT&T and the smaller regional carriers like MetroPCS and Leap fight for spectrum in the AWS band and leave the PCS band for Sprint for the taking.

I thought that the government has a specific use for the H-Block PCS and it has to be used for the purpose that was outlined when congress approved the bill.