Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

But is the Snapdragon 600 a LTE Advanced processor?  According to this article, the Snapdragon 800 is the first LTE Advanced processor. 

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releases/2013/06/26/qualcomm-snapdragon-800-processors-power-worlds-first-lte-advanced

This link shows which modems work with which type of processors.  It seems like the MDM9625 modem only works with LTE Advanced processors which is the Snapdragon 800.  My guess is that if the GS4 triband has a Snapdragon 600 processor then it is not a LTE Advanced processor which means that most likely it will have the same MDM9615 modem.  I doubt Sprint will do a super overhaul of the phone specs when all it really cares about is adding the B26 and B41 LTE support to the GS4.  We will just have to see when the GS4 triband phone comes out.

http://www.qualcomm.com/chipsets/gobi

I don't see where it says that 9625 needs S800.

As much as I think Samsung wants to sell watches for Christmas, I also see sprint tryjng to unload all the single band stock for xmas. So this may not come out til after xmas. Probably when they start advertising spark much more aggressively.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Looks like possibly a December release.  Also it says in the specs Graphical Controller: Qualcomm Adreno 320.  This tells me that it using the same Snapdragon 600 chip as in the original Galaxy S4.  Should be a solid release for those that have been waiting patiently for the GS4 with triband LTE.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=5202&view=1&c=samsung_sph-l720t_galaxy_s4_td-lte_samsung_altius

I don't care as much about the CPU/GPU as much as the modem. If it has 9615 I'm going to be disappointed.

I pointed out the 1.9 GHz CPU frequency weeks ago in a comment on my article:

Doing some further digging through the FCC OET authorization docs, I came across a reference to a 1890 MHz CPU clock frequency.  That seemingly points to the same higher binned 1.9 GHz Snapdragon 600 (APQ8064T/APQ8064AB) found in the original Galaxy S4.

With that clock rate, it is not going to be a Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974).  And it is not going to have an MDM9625 baseband.  Nothing has an MDM9625 -- it is not available as a standalone part yet.

AJ

• Like 1

As much as I think Samsung wants to sell watches for Christmas, I also see sprint tryjng to unload all the single band stock for xmas. So this may not come out til after xmas. Probably when they start advertising spark much more aggressively.

I sure hope not.  Sprint should have been offloading their single band GS4 stock since mid October.  The longer Sprint keeps stocking up the single band GS4, the worse it is going to be since that would mean more devices that are released on the Sprint network with single band LTE.  I would love to see the GS4 triband come out by the first week or second week of December.

I sure hope not. Sprint should have been offloading their single band GS4 stock since mid October. The longer Sprint keeps stocking up the single band GS4, the worse it is going to be since that would mean more devices that are released on the Sprint network with single band LTE. I would love to see the GS4 triband come out by the first week or second week of December.

They may not be stocking up. They may have been stuck with this stock for awhile. Slow sales were reported early on.

http://m.intomobile.com/2013/06/07/galaxy-s4-sales-slow-samsung-stock-takes-hit/

So maybe they've been stuck stock for awhile.

And who knows. Maybe they might make the s4 spark available in the spark markets only at first. Seamlessly sneak it in with the old stock.

They may not be stocking up. They may have been stuck with this stock for awhile. Slow sales were reported early on.

http://m.intomobile.com/2013/06/07/galaxy-s4-sales-slow-samsung-stock-takes-hit/

And who knows. Maybe they might make the s4 spark available in the spark markets only at first. Seamlessly sneak it in with the old stock.

The article is from June, which is months before SPH-L720T passed through the FCC.

Yeah but don't confuse the overall GS4 sales with other carriers to be reflective of those on Sprint. Keep in mind there were a ton of Wimax customers like myself that are coming off of our 2 year contracts in 2011 which were dying to switch to LTE phones due to getting faster 4G speeds but also better battery life.  Anyone with a Wimax phone would know how poor the battery life was on 4G.  I think the GS4 sales on Sprint have been great and not to mention that during all of this summer, Sprint was promoting a BOGO free promotion on the GS4.

There are still plenty of folks out there that still want the GS4 out there and are dying to get their hands on one with triband LTE.

The article is from June, which is months before SPH-L720T passed through the FCC.

Yeah exactly. So their deal with Samsung for the single band s4 might have been massive. Before the thought of a triband s4 even existed. Hence why they might be stuck with a lot of single band S4s.

Yeah exactly. So their deal with Samsung for the single band s4 might have been massive. Before the thought of a triband s4 even existed. Hence why they might be stuck with a lot of single band S4s.

When I go to Sprint stores, I still see a lot of people still opting to get the GS4 or iPhones.  Most people don't even know about a triband S4.

Yeah but don't confuse the overall GS4 sales with other carriers to be reflective of those on Sprint. Keep in mind there were a ton of Wimax customers like myself that are coming off of our 2 year contracts in 2011 which were dying to switch to LTE phones due to getting faster 4G speeds but also better battery life. Anyone with a Wimax phone would know how poor the battery life was on 4G. I think the GS4 sales on Sprint have been great and not to mention that during all of this summer, Sprint was promoting a BOGO free promotion on the GS4.

There are still plenty of folks out there that still want the GS4 out there and are dying to get their hands on one with triband LTE.

Maybe the sales on Sprint were great. I'm just going with that report. But you also don't do bogo if sales are great. Maybe it will come out tomorrow. But I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out after xmas either.

Maybe the sales on Sprint were great. I'm just going with that report. But you also don't do bogo if sales are great. Maybe it will come out tomorrow. But I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out after xmas either.

No I disagree.  You are thinking of it backwards.  You are assuming that they are doing BOGO on the GS4 because GS4 sales are bad and are trying to find a way to sell more.  I tend to think that Sprint did BOGO promotion on the GS4 because it is the most popular smartphone and a BOGO promotion is the key attraction to get least 2 customers to join Sprint.  If 2 customers in a family both want a GS4, then they can join Sprint and only pay $100 each vs. $199 or $249 for each one on another carrier.  This is also not on top of $100 in savings for porting over your line from another carrier.  The purpose of the BOGO promotion on the GS4 is to help acquire new Sprint subscribers since based on the quarterly statements that Sprint has been losing customers not only because of iDEN but simply some are fed up with the Network Vision progress.

No I disagree. You are thinking of it backwards. You are assuming that they are doing BOGO on the GS4 because GS4 sales are bad and are trying to find a way to sell more. I tend to think that Sprint did BOGO promotion on the GS4 because it is the most popular smartphone and a BOGO promotion is the key attraction to get least 2 customers to join Sprint. If 2 customers in a family both want a GS4, then they can join Sprint and only pay $100 each vs. $199 or $249 for each one on another carrier. This is also not on top of $100 in savings for porting over your line from another carrier. The purpose of the BOGO promotion on the GS4 is to help acquire new Sprint subscribers since based on the quarterly statements that Sprint has been losing customers not only because of iDEN but simply some are fed up with the Network Vision progress.

You are speculating just like me. Backwards thinking? Really?

All I'm saying is sprint might have a glut. Might not. I supported my speculation with an article at least.

The triband phone might come out next month. might not.

Sprint wouldn't surprise me either way.

I want this phone to come out just as bad as anyone.

I'm just trying to temper expectations.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 17 January 2011

I haven't been able to get anything on my phone for WiMax. I think the wife is full of it...

Sprint has publicly stated that there will be six spark devices in 2013.

LG G2, LG Google Nexus 5, HTC one max, Samsung mega 6.3, Samsung galaxy s4 mini and of course the s4t. It will come out either this month or December.

Sent from my Google Nexus 5

I love it when the necro post glitch rears its head.  Nice quote there, Tim.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

All I'm saying is sprint might have a glut. Might not. I supported my speculation with an article at least.

Agreed, but if your speculating was correct, then I'd have to believe we'd have never seen a SPH-L720T pass through the FCC. That being said, I think we'll see the SPH-L720T sooner than later.

My point of my post was to play devils advocate and to get you to stop focusing on that article which by the way is several months old and think outside of the box that the BOGO summer promotion was not due to poor GS4 sales but rather a vehicle as a way to drive more Sprint service subscriptions by offering their most popular smartphone.   I wasn't trying to butt heads with you. Sure increased GS4 sales is a secondary benefit of the BOGO promotion but I saw the primary goal of the BOGO promotion was to get more Sprint service subscriptions. 

You are correct in that we both are speculating and there could very well be a glut in December but I think Sprint is smart enough to forecast this back in July/August if sales really slowed down.  I doubt Sprint or any carrier preorders a massive order 3 months of new GS4's especially in Sprint's case if internally they intended to upgrade the GS4 later on in the year to be triband LTE. 

I wonder if this is going to be the new S4 Spark

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-buy-doing-blue-galaxy-s4-att-sprint-and-verizon

Best Buy this morning announced that it'll carry a "Blue Arctic" (no, not Arctic Blue) Samsung Galaxy S4starting Nov. 18. Preorders begin Nov. 10. You'll be able to get one for use on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint.

Here's how pricing breaks down:

• Verizon: $249.99 with a two-year contract.
  • AT&T and Sprint: $199.99 with a two-year contract.
  • Outright: $749.99

The phone will be available online or in stores.

Anyone check best buy today for the blue variant?

It'll likely have a different modem.  A good basis is to see if the HTC One and the HTC One Max has different modems since their only difference is size, of course, but the Tri-Band capability.)

What evidence is there that the HTC One max uses anything other than the MDM9615?  I have not seen any.

AJ

What evidence is there that the HTC One max uses anything other than the MDM9615? I have not seen any.

AJ

Speculation. I'd only assume it's a different modem since it supports different bands but I'm not the guru when it comes to this thing which is why I said likely.

Sent from my LG-LS980

My point of my post was to play devils advocate and to get you to stop focusing on that article which by the way is several months old and think outside of the box that the BOGO summer promotion was not due to poor GS4 sales but rather a vehicle as a way to drive more Sprint service subscriptions by offering their most popular smartphone. I wasn't trying to butt heads with you. Sure increased GS4 sales is a secondary benefit of the BOGO promotion but I saw the primary goal of the BOGO promotion was to get more Sprint service subscriptions.

You are correct in that we both are speculating and there could very well be a glut in December but I think Sprint is smart enough to forecast this back in July/August if sales really slowed down. I doubt Sprint or any carrier preorders a massive order 3 months of new GS4's especially in Sprint's case if internally they intended to upgrade the GS4 later on in the year to be triband LTE.

Yeah I don't mean to dwell on the article it was just something I remember reading about. And we have little evidence to assume otherwise. But it is interesting that the timing of the article is in line with the bogo promotion. Who knows it one has anything to do with the other.

What's also odd if this best buy blue variant is not triband, why order more single bands at this stage in the game? Or are they just changing the casing to get rid of old stock. Just sucks there is no peep on the triband version except the FCC doc and number "6" that sprint has mentioned.

Yeah I don't mean to dwell on the article it was just something I remember reading about. And we have little evidence to assume otherwise. But it is interesting that the timing of the article is in line with the bogo promotion. Who knows it one has anything to do with the other.

What's also odd if this best buy blue variant is not triband, why order more single bands at this stage in the game? Or are they just changing the casing to get rid of old stock. Just sucks there is no peep on the triband version except the FCC doc and number "6" that sprint has mentioned.

I think the timing of the article was more to do with Samsung coming out with their Q2 earnings CC which released their GS4 sales numbers which presented less than expected shipment of sales.  The article must have been written a day or 2 after the earnings release but just somehow coincided with Sprint's internal plan to have a BOGO promotion. 

I wouldn't spend time dissecting the timing of when both those events occurred.  Whats done is done and at this point, I just think that the GS4 triband delay is just due to Sprint wanting to space out the release of the triband LTE devices to give these other phones some sales.  Sprint has released 5 triband LTE devices in 2 weeks.  I think a little breather is warranted.  An early December release would be perfect timing for a GS4 triband refresh.

I was in the neighborhood last night so I bs'd with a Sprint store guy that was a phone geek too.  His thought was to watch for sale ads pushing the GS4s for $50 or other such November / Black Friday promos.  There are thousands of them in the inventory system that corporate will want to move first.

Based on previous experience he speculated that they will hold back a month and shoot for Mid December or Mid January depending on the success of the promo in rotating out the old stock.

Once they get "T's" into the store's hands, the sales people will abandon the old devices in favor of the new -just to keep consumers from coming back to complain about being sold an inferior device.  Not that it won't happen anyhow once the new ones release and the Black Friday sale-buyers realize WHY their phones were on sale.

He got me looking at a ONE MAX, but while the thing gains the SD card (still no U.R. battery), it's too big for my taste and the reviews on it are less than glowing regarding digit scanner, camera, and build quality (back cover mostly). 

Is that irritating spark connection icon going to be the same on all the spark phones?  What were they thinking?

So much for the theory that Sprint would clear out S4 inventory via a Black Friday sale:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-makes-it-easy-to-give-big-this-holiday-season.htm

Being an Employee Referral account holder it is nice to see that the G2 will be available for $49. Of course, Best Buy has had that price for the last two weeks but some of us are not allowed to purchase phones from them.

I still think the S4 camera and removable battery are worth waiting for over the Nexus 5 or G2.