Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

I didnt see the gs4 triband listed as a triband phone available for sale. Maybe sprint didnt want to overwhelm the triband phone list for nov 8?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

They advertised 6 Spark devices this year so it has to be LG Nexus 5, LG G2, HTC One Maxx, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S4 Mini, and Galaxy S4T. Probably just wanting to get rid of old stock first. 

• Like 2

@CNET: Sprint hinted two more ultra-fast LTE Spark phones are on the way but keeps them under wraps http://cnet.co/1aEzcci

In the article it states a refresh of a previous popular model by mid December.

I didnt see the gs4 triband listed as a triband phone available for sale. Maybe sprint didnt want to overwhelm the triband phone list for nov 8?Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I didnt see the gs4 triband listed as a triband phone available for sale. Maybe sprint didnt want to overwhelm the triband phone list for nov 8?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Eric do you see the moto x as a worthy successor to our photons?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to speak for him, but given how much he's talked about the G2/N5 I'm going to guess no because of the lack of Tri Band LTE.

I don't want to speak for him, but given how much he's talked about the G2/N5 I'm going to guess no because of the lack of Tri Band LTE.

That is what i am thinking also. Thanks.

Nickel is right.  I am already set on the LG G2 and I wasn't too interested in the Moto X not just because it isn't triband LTE but also I don't like the size of the phone being 4.7 inch screen with (4.3 inch of "real" screen real estate).  I wanted a big screen phone this time around and would have gotten the Note 3 if it wasn't because of the lack of triband LTE.  Because of that I decided on the LG G2.  I already preordered the G2 2 weeks ago.  Just waiting for it to come in hopefully this week.

• Like 1

Nickel is right. I am already set on the LG G2 and I wasn't too interested in the Moto X not just because it isn't triband LTE but also I don't like the size of the phone being 4.7 inch screen with (4.3 inch of "real" screen real estate). I wanted a big screen phone this time around and would have gotten the Note 3 if it wasn't because of the lack of triband LTE. Because of that I decided on the LG G2. I already preordered the G2 2 weeks ago. Just waiting for it to come in hopefully this week.

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

I wonder if this is going to be the new S4 Spark

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-buy-doing-blue-galaxy-s4-att-sprint-and-verizon

Best Buy this morning announced that it'll carry a "Blue Arctic" (no, not Arctic Blue) Samsung Galaxy S4starting Nov. 18. Preorders begin Nov. 10. You'll be able to get one for use on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint.

Here's how pricing breaks down:

• Verizon: $249.99 with a two-year contract.
  • AT&T and Sprint: $199.99 with a two-year contract.
  • Outright: $749.99

The phone will be available online or in stores.

• Like 1

Come on, Sprint. I want my Tri band LTE.   :(

I want my, I want my tri band LTE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL_rSZqZwdM

AJ

• Like 2

Come on, Sprint. I want my Tri band LTE.   :(

I agree, my next upgrade is going to be used on a tri-band device.  I looked at both the Nexus 5 and the G2, but both are missing features that are must haves for me.  I have to have the ability to swap batteries during the day as my usage and network signal issues can result in needing to use one or two spare batteries during the day on my S3.  Also, I want a phone that has the best possible camera as I take a significant amount of video and pictures at my kids' activities.

It's looking like the tri-band S4 is the ideal device.  Now if they would just release the thing in time for the Black Friday deals...

• Like 1

I don't really care about black Friday deals, I just want the device. Provided, of course, that it is a good RF performer.

Looks like possibly a December release.  Also it says in the specs Graphical Controller: Qualcomm Adreno 320.  This tells me that it using the same Snapdragon 600 chip as in the original Galaxy S4.  Should be a solid release for those that have been waiting patiently for the GS4 with triband LTE.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=5202&view=1&c=samsung_sph-l720t_galaxy_s4_td-lte_samsung_altius

• Like 1

Looks like possibly a December release.  Also it says in the specs Graphical Controller: Qualcomm Adreno 320.  This tells me that it using the same Snapdragon 600 chip as in the original Galaxy S4.  Should be a solid release for those that have been waiting patiently for the GS4 with triband LTE.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=5202&view=1&c=samsung_sph-l720t_galaxy_s4_td-lte_samsung_altius

Nice catch.  Anyone know is Pdadb is a credible source?  In other words, how would they know if the device is estimated to be released in December?

Nice catch.  Anyone know is Pdadb is a credible source?  In other words, how would they know if the device is estimated to be released in December?

Don't know about the credibility of Pdadb but I just searched for the Verizon LG G2 VS980 and it stated Sept 2013 which is correct.  Now I don't know if back in July/August it posted an estimate date of Sept and was right the whole time or when it was released in Sept, Pdadb filled in the correct month after the fact.

Given that the GS4 Triband was FCC approved in mid October, a December release is not out of the picture especially right when the Christmas shopping season is in full force.  An early to mid December release would be perfect.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=4726&c=lg_vs980_g2

• Like 1

Don't know about the credibility of Pdadb but I just searched for the Verizon LG G2 VS980 and it stated Sept 2013 which is correct.  Now I don't know if back in July/August it posted an estimate date of Sept and was right the whole time or when it was released in Sept, Pdadb filled in the correct month after the fact.

Given that the GS4 Triband was FCC approved in mid October, a December release is not out of the picture especially right when the Christmas shopping season is in full force.  An early to mid December release would be perfect.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=4726&c=lg_vs980_g2

I wonder how Sprint will market the newly improved S4, or will they simply just replace old stock with this Triband version?

I'm assuming it'd cost a bit more for the S4T and they're going to market it as a separate device.

I wonder how Sprint will market the newly improved S4, or will they simply just replace old stock with this Triband version?

I'm assuming it'd cost a bit more for the S4T and they're going to market it as a separate device.

I don't think Sprint is going to increase the cost after lowering the cost to $199.  It still has the same Snapdragon 600 and probably will be the same 16 GB variant.  It doesn't make sense to jack the price back up to $249 and risk losing customers who are not familiar with a GS4 refresh that supports triband LTE.  If anything, Sprint should be subtle about this and not encourage pitching forks for those that just recently bought the GS4 single band smartphone.

• Like 1

I don't care as much about the CPU/GPU as much as the modem. If it has 9615 I'm going to be disappointed.

I don't care as much about the CPU/GPU as much as the modem. If it has 9615 I'm going to be disappointed.

It'll likely have a different modem.  A good basis is to see if the HTC One and the HTC One Max has different modems since their only difference is size, of course, but the Tri-Band capability.)

It'll likely have a different modem.  A good basis is to see if the HTC One and the HTC One Max has different modems since their only difference is size, of course, but the Tri-Band capability.)

International one (likely) has the same modem, so I'm skeptical that Sprint's would have 9625.   :(

9625, the modem that is integrated into MSM8974 and that, in my opinion, is the main reason people are reporting better signal on the G2/N5.

But is the Snapdragon 600 a LTE Advanced processor?  According to this article, the Snapdragon 800 is the first LTE Advanced processor. 

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releases/2013/06/26/qualcomm-snapdragon-800-processors-power-worlds-first-lte-advanced

This link shows which modems work with which type of processors.  It seems like the MDM9625 modem only works with LTE Advanced processors which is the Snapdragon 800.  My guess is that if the GS4 triband has a Snapdragon 600 processor then it is not a LTE Advanced processor which means that most likely it will have the same MDM9615 modem.  I doubt Sprint will do a super overhaul of the phone specs when all it really cares about is adding the B26 and B41 LTE support to the GS4.  We will just have to see when the GS4 triband phone comes out.

http://www.qualcomm.com/chipsets/gobi