Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

G2 is missing important features this phone has - read the thread history.

S5 is likely 4-6 months out for Sprint release.

I'll take the first thing that suits my needs best.

I like modding my device. S4 is a very popular device but the KNOX update has killed off and blocked all development. Probably the only reason I'm not too thrilled about it. Mostly interested in the new HTC early this year.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Sit back and relax. We're back in wait mode again. Figure two to SIX!! weeks (and potentially even longer) depending on the pace of sales and accounting's desire to turn a profit on an obsolete device.

Thanks for the update. That is interesting- I would have thought Sprint would have wanted to avoid any delay in the distribution of tri-band devices for the sake of the network, and offered both versions side-by-side, perhaps charging a small premium for the tri-band version.

I do think that "obsolete" is a rather harsh description for the original S4. That term implies that the device is no longer useful, which is hardly true. The lack of SVLTE places the two versions at the same level in my mind, and that is another reason they should sell them concurrently- so customers can choose which feature they'd like.

I like modding my device. S4 is a very popular device but the KNOX update has killed off and blocked all development. Probably the only reason I'm not too thrilled about it. Mostly interested in the new HTC early this year.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I wasn't aware that you could modify a device to add a sd card and user replaceable battery. That's why I said read the thread.

I don't understand why all the lg salespeople follow samsung threads and endlessly bash a device they don't understand.

It has flaws. We get that. It also has features that a few of us require that the alternatives do NOT have.

The detractors keep ignoring that.

For a specific physical configuration, some of us can't settle. We have to wait.

Thanks for the update. That is interesting- I would have thought Sprint would have wanted to avoid any delay in the distribution of tri-band devices for the sake of the network, and offered both versions side-by-side, perhaps charging a small premium for the tri-band version.

I do think that "obsolete" is a rather harsh description for the original S4. That term implies that the device is no longer useful, which is hardly true. The lack of SVLTE places the two versions at the same level in my mind, and that is another reason they should sell them concurrently- so customers can choose which feature they'd like.

It could very well be. In my mind, once a device is no longer sold, it's obsolete. Experience with the photon was that once they stopped selling it, they immediately stopped supporting it also.

There's probably enough commonality that this may not be a problem here, why risk it?

If Sprint indicates that it can't stand on it's own merits and be sold side by side as a lesser model, what does that say?

We don't yet have one in hand to figure that out. That's the biggest problem with such a conversation. Apples to question marks?

The vast majority of cell usage is indoors and the low band is supposed to improve structure penetration.

Tri band is supposed to improve overall performance.

It's all about tradeoffs until someone makes the everything phone.

I have less need for simultaneous internet and talk than I have for reliable internet by itself so that's the choice I made.

Guest mreed112

I wasn't aware that you could modify a device to add a sd card and user replaceable battery. That's why I said read the thread.

I don't understand why all the lg salespeople follow samsung threads and endlessly bash a device they don't understand.

It has flaws. We get that. It also has features that a few of us require that the alternatives do NOT have.

The detractors keep ignoring that.

For a specific physical configuration, some of us can't settle. We have to wait.

I like you was waiting for the S4T which is why I was following this thread.  I also wanted SD storage and a removable battery.

Having used the G2 for a month, I have found the SD storage issue is offset by the 32gb of internal storage.  I have 50 apps and about 30 music CD's loaded and still have 19gb of available memory.  There are available USB SD card adapters available if I ever need additional storage.  The battery life is the best I have ever seen in a smartphone -- 19 to 24 hours with heavy usage in an area with 0 to 1 bar signal strength.  The battery also recharges faster that any phone I have ever had.

However, without a doubt the best attribute of the G2 -- IT WAS FREE.  It may not work for everyone but is sure was a great choice for me.

I noticed at Best Buy that our systems now have a SPH-L720T option when transferring data from one phone to another. I'll get a picture soon. Just means we're getting it very soon!

Sent from my LG-G2

Crap we were packed today and I left without a picture. I go in morning so I'll get it then. Regardless, best buy higher ups know about it.

Sent from my LG-G2

Crap we were packed today and I left without a picture. I go in morning so I'll get it then. Regardless, best buy higher ups know about it.

Sent from my LG-G2

Bless your soul for trying though, I'm really excited that it's in the system.

• Like 1

They may not be stocking up. They may have been stuck with this stock for awhile. Slow sales were reported early on.

http://m.intomobile.com/2013/06/07/galaxy-s4-sales-slow-samsung-stock-takes-hit/

So maybe they've been stuck stock for awhile.

And who knows. Maybe they might make the s4 spark available in the spark markets only at first. Seamlessly sneak it in with the old stock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

They're prioritizing spark markets first.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Interesting.

I wonder if that means they don't have enough inventory to deploy nationwide yet.

I think they have plenty of s4t stock. They are just using the non-spark markets to get rid of the old s4.

I think they have plenty of s4t stock. They are just using the non-spark markets to get rid of the old s4.

That could be, but you think they would want more people to have Tri-Band devices so they have a better network experience and don't leave unnecessarily. 

That could be, but you think they would want more people to have Tri-Band devices so they have a better network experience and don't leave unnecessarily.

Of course they do. But what do you do with the old stock. Eat the cost?

• Like 1

Of course they do. But what do you do with the old stock. Eat the cost?

They've (the higher ups) known about this phone for months, so hopefully they don't have too much. I'm just surprised it isn't nationwide to get rid of all the old stock.

They've (the higher ups) known about this phone for months, so hopefully they don't have too much. I'm just surprised it isn't nationwide to get rid of all the old stock.

We've been speculating for over a month now on the state of their s4 stock. It's sucks that even with Christmas they couldn't get rid of the stock. Must have been a whole lot of s4s. And why would best buy order more s4s in a different color so late in the year. artic blue. Strange.

We've been speculating for over a month now on the state of their s4 stock. It's sucks that even with Christmas they couldn't get rid of the stock. Must have been a whole lot of s4s. And why would best buy order more s4s in a different color so late in the year. artic blue. Strange.

The main thing I want to know is when it is available, will the store let you get the S4T or try to force you into a regular S4.

The main thing I want to know is when it is available, will the store let you get the S4T or try to force you into a regular S4.

They'll probably try to push them off to the less knowledgeable.

And if you can't find it in your area I'm sure you can order it online.

• Like 1

Perhaps they were committed to buying a specific quantity of original S4s so they were able to add a new color to fulfill the pre-order with the hope that a new color might pick up additional buyers.

...why would best buy order more s4s in a different color so late in the year. artic blue. Strange.

I read somewhere the S4 sales have been disappointing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

The article below is from June. So very early on. But was an early indicator.

They may not be stocking up. They may have been stuck with this stock for awhile. Slow sales were reported early on.

http://m.intomobile.com/2013/06/07/galaxy-s4-sales-slow-samsung-stock-takes-hit/

So maybe they've been stuck stock for awhile.

I read somewhere the S4 sales have been disappointing. Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

That's funny. I read somewhere that the S4 was the best selling smartphone of 2013.

That's funny. I read somewhere that the S4 was the best selling smartphone of 2013.

Even if it was, maybe it still fell short of expectations/projections/advanced orders.

Even if it was, maybe it still fell short of expectations/projections/advanced orders.

Alot of stuff falls short of Projections now it seems. It isnt suprising, but they would rather overshoot, than undershoot a guess.

Try reading this site:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/12/korean-press-shocked-at-samsungs-galaxy-s4-sales-disaster.html

S4GRU is supposedly a Sprint fanboy site, I guess.  But Patently Apple is egregiously an Apple fanboy site.  And it apparently relishes publishing inflammatory blog posts about Apple competitors.

Enjoy, I guess...

AJ