HTC One max [Tri-Band] (was "HTC "Phablet" aka "T6"")

themuffinman

i have some thinking to do now. Im eligible for Sprint's One-Up and debating whether to get an iPhone 5s, LG G2 or the HTC One Max. I like the Tri-band feature. Building quality should be like the One, but my biggest concern at the moment is HTC's current status. If it is going under like BB, I don't want to buy a device that is DOA at least with support from HTC (or if HTC sells - the new owner...This is all my speculation, not fact so don't bash me for saying HTC will be sold). Essentially I don't want another Palm/HP fiasco. WebOS was a great OS but ultimately died because of an idiot former-HP-CEO.

Also, Android is not my favorite at the moment, big battery drain with its NlpCollectorWakeLock service keeping my S3 from entering deep sleep 68% of the time.

i have some thinking to do now. Im eligible for Sprint's One-Up and debating whether to get an iPhone 5s, LG G2 or the HTC One Max. I like the Tri-band feature. Building quality should be like the One, but my biggest concern at the moment is HTC's current status. If it is going under like BB, I don't want to buy a device that is DOA at least with support from HTC (or if HTC sells - the new owner...This is all my speculation, not fact so don't bash me for saying HTC will be sold). Essentially I don't want another Palm/HP fiasco. WebOS was a great OS but ultimately died because of an idiot former-HP-CEO. Also, Android is not my favorite at the moment, big battery drain with its NlpCollectorWakeLock service keeping my S3 from entering deep sleep 68% of the time.

HTC will be sold I am sure but I don't think they will end up like blackberry or hp. They had to deal with trying to gain market share with an OS that only they used, that's not the case with htc.

i have some thinking to do now. Im eligible for Sprint's One-Up and debating whether to get an iPhone 5s, LG G2 or the HTC One Max. I like the Tri-band feature. Building quality should be like the One, but my biggest concern at the moment is HTC's current status. If it is going under like BB, I don't want to buy a device that is DOA at least with support from HTC (or if HTC sells - the new owner...This is all my speculation, not fact so don't bash me for saying HTC will be sold). Essentially I don't want another Palm/HP fiasco. WebOS was a great OS but ultimately died because of an idiot former-HP-CEO.

Also, Android is not my favorite at the moment, big battery drain with its NlpCollectorWakeLock service keeping my S3 from entering deep sleep 68% of the time.

I wouldn't be worried about what HTC does in the future.  What Palm and Blackberry shared in common was that they were both trying to support their own OS's that did not gain popularity which ultimately lead to their demise because of software.  HTC on the other hand is 100% supporting Android and as long as HTC makes smartphones with Android in it they will do fine.  I think their stint with making Windows phones are over due to the poor sales and the direction of Microsoft with Windows Phone OS.  This way HTC can focus on making great devices and hopefully beefing up their marketing campaign for their Android phones.

The HTC One and the HTC One Max will have good support.  In fact the HTC One just recently got the Android 4.3 upgrade and I expect both the HTC One and HTC One Max to get the 4.4 Android update early 2014.

I think the One Max is DOA. The camera is worse than the HTC one because they took out ois. The snapdragon 600 is plenty fast but why get the 600 when you can get the 800 now? The 800 is more future proof. Its massive in the hand thanks to bezels and its not as intuitive as the galaxy note 3. Beats is gone(not that big of deal but I bet you notice a sound difference)and the phone is so big that the finger print scanner on the back will be harder to reach and is not practical. What Samsung did right is to make the note 3 smaller than the note 2 making one handed handling not impossible. Its more plastic than the HTC one also and honestly besides the big battery I think that the HTC one is better. Sony and LG tried this big phone with no s pen like features and failed. The only upside to this seem to be triband support. And for all we no it could be a poor performer. I love HTC, I really do but this phone could have been so much more than just a big HTC one with 3 more features and 3 less features than the HTC One.

• Like 1

Where did you read that AT&T was getting it as well?  The HTC website only lists Sprint and Verizon.

On the HTC UK site, they mentioned AT&T and their bands. Maybe they are getting the device later. You can see in my earlier posts, which were copied from HTC's website, that AT&T is mentioned along with Sprint and Verizon.

On the HTC UK site, they mentioned AT&T and their bands. Maybe they are getting the device later. You can see in my earlier posts, which were copied from HTC's website, that AT&T is mentioned along with Sprint and Verizon.

Interesting that the US HTC site doesn't list AT&T as a carrier.  Again could be one of those weird small intricacies that were left out.  I'll assume AT&T will get it as well.  Also it said on the UK site that AT&T will have LTE 2600 band support.  I wonder what that is all about. 

The question now becomes why was Tmobile left out of the picture assuming AT&T gets the HTC One Max as well?

Interesting that the US HTC site doesn't list AT&T as a carrier.  Again could be one of those weird small intricacies that were left out.  I'll assume AT&T will get it as well.  Also it said on the UK site that AT&T will have LTE 2600 band support.  I wonder what that is all about. 

The question now becomes why was Tmobile left out of the picture assuming AT&T gets the HTC One Max as well?

Another interesting point is the exclusion of TD-LTE 2.5/2.6 Ghz and 800Mhz from the U.S. website.

Another interesting point is the exclusion of TD-LTE 2.5/2.6 Ghz and 800Mhz from the U.S. website.

No it is not.  You were relying on what you saw earlier.  The US site shows Sprint version has triband LTE support.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-max/#specs

I think the One Max is DOA. The camera is worse than the HTC one because they took out ois. The snapdragon 600 is plenty fast but why get the 600 when you can get the 800 now? The 800 is more future proof. Its massive in the hand thanks to bezels and its not as intuitive as the galaxy note 3. Beats is gone(not that big of deal but I bet you notice a sound difference)and the phone is so big that the finger print scanner on the back will be harder to reach and is not practical. What Samsung did right is to make the note 3 smaller than the note 2 making one handed handling not impossible. Its more plastic than the HTC one also and honestly besides the big battery I think that the HTC one is better. Sony and LG tried this big phone with no s pen like features and failed. The only upside to this seem to be triband support. And for all we no it could be a poor performer. I love HTC, I really do but this phone could have been so much more than just a big HTC one with 3 more features and 3 less features than the HTC One.

I wouldn't discount the LG Optimus G Pro being a failure just yet.  The LG Optimus G Pro was only sold on the worst carrier possible, AT&T, which I am not trying to put them on a negative light but given that AT&T has the most iPhone customers of the 4 major carriers, I can see why sales of the LG Optimus G Pro were not as good as it could have been since most upgrades are going to be used on the iPhone.  I think if it was sold on Verizon and/or Sprint the LG Optimus G Pro might have gained some traction especially since the phone was quickly discounted for $99 on 2 year contract.

If LG can do its magic and make the LG Optimus G Pro 2 or LG G Pro 2 as good as how they made the LG G2 and make it available on all 4 major carriers then I think it can do well.  It will have the latest Snapdragon chip in 2014 and to be honest the grip of the LG Optimus G Pro is more to my liking than the Galaxy Note.  For some reason LG is able to make the width of the LG Optimus G Pro to be only 76 mm W vs. Galaxy Note 2 which was 80 mm W so it feels like I am not stretching my fingers to grip it.  The Galaxy Note 3 made some strides to close the gap at 78 mm W but still wider than the LG Optimus G Pro.

Also Sony is failing in the phablet game because their Xperia Z Ultra screen size is just too massive at 6.4 inches and not only that but at the same time its too paper thin.  The dimensions of the phone are just too ridiculous to hold with one hand.  It is way thinner than the iPhone 5S so people were saying its hard to get a good grip on the phone.  These 6+ inch phablet phones need to fail so that no OEM tries attempts to make larger screens.  The majority of customers do not want 6+ inch phones.

That is the global site. The U.S. site says that it is a single band.

If it is a .com site with no puny little two letter foreign top level domain or directory, it is a US site.  The UK can have their nancy boy .co.uk URLs.  America, F**K Yeah!

AJ

• Like 2

That is the global site. The U.S. site says that it is a single band.

Thanks.  I see it now.  Yeah that has got to be an error on the US site for both Sprint and Verizon.  Verizon is also missing the AWS LTE support on the US page that was already listed to be supported in the global and UK site.  But then again the US site is also missing the AT&T model which is still up in the air.

• Like 1

The majority of customers do not want 6+ inch phones.

Is that what she said?

AJ

• Like 2

My goodness, have you guys seen this next to a Note 3? It's the equivalent of a S4 next to a Note. I'm a little worried that they made it too big for the general public.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/108579/max-note2_0.jpg

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/108579/max-note1_0.jpg

The Note borders the line between phone/tablet with it's size, and is only manageable due to its light weight and thinness, the Max falls solely under "tablet" imo and if that's the case, you could argue they might as well have made it a full 7 inches to compete with the Galaxy Tabs and Nexus line.

If this drops in price the way the One did, I'll pick one up though off contract.

My goodness, have you guys seen this next to a Note 3? It's the equivalent of a S4 next to a Note. I'm a little worried that they made it too big for the general public.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/108579/max-note2_0.jpg

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/108579/max-note1_0.jpg

The Note borders the line between phone/tablet with it's size, and is only manageable due to its light weight and thinness, the Max falls solely under "tablet" imo and if that's the case, you could argue they might as well have made it a full 7 inches to compete with the Galaxy Tabs and Nexus line.

If this drops in price the way the One did, I'll pick one up though off contract.

Thank the front facing dual stereo speakers.  Given that it is probably the best placement for speakers on a smartphone in most circumstances but then the trade off is making the device longer than it needs to be.  Personally I would rather have dual speakers on the bottom and reduce the height of the phone but given the shape of the way the HTC One was built that is not possible.

Why is there a pic of a Samsung faux leather wallet next to an HTC handset?

17crvk.jpg

AJ

• Like 2

Probably because the wallet fits in one's pocket whereas the Max probably wont.  ;)

No, I think the juxtaposition must be a photo illustration:  how does your wallet feel about paying for cheap plastic, "pleather," and garish AMOLED versus aluminum and calibrated LCD?

AJ

• Like 4

pretty good considering the consensus seems to be this:

"The HTC One Max is almost identical to the One, but with a bigger screen. There's been no attempt to make use of that upgraded size, and given the new features will be appearing on the One in the near future, this means the One Max has very few unique selling points.

Unless you're desperate for a nearly 6-inch screen, that is.

The fingerprint scanner is a real waste of time. Apple has shown us how well this can be implemented as a feature, so putting it on the rear of the device in a hard to reach place is never going to be a good idea.

The One Max is also terribly unwieldy, meaning you're likely to drop it if you try to use it in one hand very often. It could be worse, but those BoomSound speakers do nothing to help the ergonomics."

my wallet will feel the same yours feels buying last year's tech from a company that's most likely dead in 6 months. it's the same "cheap plastic" that surrounds the One Max. It's not like a blown up ONE, it's a blown up One Mini. i guess it's a matter of preference, but i'll take cheap plastic over aluminum any day since it's lighter in my pocket.

oh let me change my screen setting from dynamic so it isn't as garish.

as soon as this drops to under $350 off contract i'll pick one up to play with though.

Edited by glenavo34
  • Like 1

my wallet will feel the same yours feels buying last year's tech from a company that's most likely dead in 6 months. it's the same "cheap plastic" that surrounds the One Max. It's not like a blown up ONE, it's a blown up One Mini. i guess it's a matter of preference, but i'll take cheap plastic over aluminum any day since it's lighter in my pocket.

One, do not presume to know what I am buying.  But, two, I do not pay for crappy plastic.  You can pick up that slack.

And who cares if HTC is "dead" in six months?  What matters is what is in your hands before/if that happens.  If HTC is going belly up, you would be wise to grab the One max as one of the last superbly constructed non Apple handsets.

AJ

• Like 4