HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

Ok, so I drove to the Sprint Store this morning, along a known LTE route, and got no LTE, even through radio toggles. As soon as I pull up at the Sprint store and I'm about to hop out, I notice the phone is on 4G! Sensorly suddenly had 45 points mapped, and two entries showed up in my LTE list in ##DEBUG# where there were none before. So I still don't quite know what's going on, but I didn't bother going in the Sprint store. I'll have to keep an eye on things when I'm back in that area over the next few days.

Ok, so I drove to the Sprint Store this morning, along a known LTE route, and got no LTE, even through radio toggles. As soon as I pull up at the Sprint store and I'm about to hop out, I notice the phone is on 4G! Sensorly suddenly had 45 points mapped, and two entries showed up in my LTE list in ##DEBUG# where there were none before. So I still don't quite know what's going on, but I didn't bother going in the Sprint store. I'll have to keep an eye on things when I'm back in that area over the next few days.

Maybe your phone wasn't provisioned properly on the network until today? I know when we activated my brothers ONE this week, it took a day for everything to start flowing properly. For several hours, call and texts where still going to the old phone.

It's true that yesterday, texts were being delivered to both my old and new phone.  Also, the "Activate My Device" screen was still showing the previous owner's plan and usage, and I just thought to check it, and yes, it's now showing my info for the first time.

The other thing is the Sensorly tip -- thanks for that.  I had been running Sensorly the whole time, in an effort to avoid taking my eyes off the road constantly looking for the 3G/4G symbol.. thinking I could just look down during stop lights.  But I mapped 1.5 hours while driving to Richmond, so I'm done with Sensorly for a while so I can really figure out what's going on with the 4G.  I have the maps memorized now anyway lol.

Sort of back on topic though, only one day in, and I can already confirm this is my favorite phone ever!  Only thing that can dissuade me is battery life.. I've yet to see what it's like without GPS and the screen constantly turned on like I've had it so far during these 4G trials.

It's true that yesterday, texts were being delivered to both my old and new phone.  Also, the "Activate My Device" screen was still showing the previous owner's plan and usage, and I just thought to check it, and yes, it's now showing my info for the first time.

The other thing is the Sensorly tip -- thanks for that.  I had been running Sensorly the whole time, in an effort to avoid taking my eyes off the road constantly looking for the 3G/4G symbol.. thinking I could just look down during stop lights.  But I mapped 1.5 hours while driving to Richmond, so I'm done with Sensorly for a while so I can really figure out what's going on with the 4G.  I have the maps memorized now anyway lol.

Sort of back on topic though, only one day in, and I can already confirm this is my favorite phone ever!  Only thing that can dissuade me is battery life.. I've yet to see what it's like without GPS and the screen constantly turned on like I've had it so far during these 4G trials.

I took the Sensorly tip down after I re-read your other post ha. It's true that it does reduce the opportunities to scan for LTE, but if you are hitting airplane mode or doing data resets, that should cause it to re-scan, unless it was in the middle of sending data before you hit reset, then I may just try to jump back to the band it was on before. 

As for battery life, if you're a light or moderate user on network all day, the battery life is pretty good. If you're on WiFi a good portion of the day like I am, the battery life is fantastic. Some days I come home from work (8-10 hours depending on the day) and my battery is still between 85 and 90%. 

On Thursday, I was out of the office almost all day. When I got home battery was at 65%. So still not bad considering that was a pretty heavy use day too.

Also, I never run Sensorly unless I have it plugged it. Sensorly is really good at killing your battery.

It's true that yesterday, texts were being delivered to both my old and new phone. Also, the "Activate My Device" screen was still showing the previous owner's plan and usage, and I just thought to check it, and yes, it's now showing my info for the first time.

The other thing is the Sensorly tip -- thanks for that. I had been running Sensorly the whole time, in an effort to avoid taking my eyes off the road constantly looking for the 3G/4G symbol.. thinking I could just look down during stop lights. But I mapped 1.5 hours while driving to Richmond, so I'm done with Sensorly for a while so I can really figure out what's going on with the 4G. I have the maps memorized now anyway lol.

Sort of back on topic though, only one day in, and I can already confirm this is my favorite phone ever! Only thing that can dissuade me is battery life.. I've yet to see what it's like without GPS and the screen constantly turned on like I've had it so far during these 4G trials.

To use Sensorly AND let your device do it's "standard" scanning (without manually cycling airplane mode or using an app to do it for you) you can change the "Report to server" setting to "Only over wifi". You'll collect data as usual BUT your data connection won't be pegged wide open sending the data, as collected, to the servers.

If you want to see the before vs after effect of this setting. Look at the details screen while collecting with default settings (also paying attention to your data transmission arrows in the notification bar of your device). Change the setting to only over wifi and look at the details and data transmission reporting again. :)

Only thing that is being changed is the "when" the data is delivered and of course, your devices ability to scan for LTE like normal.

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

uploadfromtaptalk1375050420753.jpg

mrrogers1 - Thanks.. I actually toggled this before my ~1 hour drive home from Richmond, and Sensorly caught 600-something 4G points as opposed to the previous 400-something, phone stayed cool, and battery increased about 13 percent from charging.  Before, with WiFi option not toggled, besides the phone getting really hot, it only increased 4 percent while charging, and that was for a longer 1.5 hour drive during traffic.  I'll probably still keep Sensorly off throughout the week though, as I'll be driving the same route to work daily.  But it is important I evaluate 4G performance closely all week otherwise b/c my contract ends next weekend and I have to figure out what I'm going to do.

mrrogers1 - Thanks.. I actually toggled this before my ~1 hour drive home from Richmond, and Sensorly caught 600-something 4G points as opposed to the previous 400-something, phone stayed cool, and battery increased about 13 percent from charging.  Before, with WiFi option not toggled, besides the phone getting really hot, it only increased 4 percent while charging, and that was for a longer 1.5 hour drive during traffic.  I'll probably still keep Sensorly off throughout the week though, as I'll be driving the same route to work daily.  But it is important I evaluate 4G performance closely all week otherwise b/c my contract ends next weekend and I have to figure out what I'm going to do.

Something else to note, once an area is mapped, it's best not to map over it again and again, unless a new site comes online. The reason being, Sensorly averages the data collected to create the maps. So if you've been driving by a Sprint site recording very weak LTE, and one day that site is live, and you get a strong LTE signal, it will take many many more passes to bring the signal level up on Sensorly. 

Since you seem pretty interested in this, I would recommend becoming a Sponsor, then you can see exactly where the Sprint sites are that have been upgraded, and target new sites for mapping! :tu:

• Like 2

Something else to note, once an area is mapped, it's best not to map over it again and again, unless a new site comes online. The reason being, Sensorly averages the data collected to create the maps. So if you've been driving by a Sprint site recording very weak LTE, and one day that site is live, and you get a strong LTE signal, it will take many many more passes to bring the signal level up on Sensorly.

Since you seem pretty interested in this, I would recommend becoming a Sponsor, then you can see exactly where the Sprint sites are that have been upgraded, and target new sites for mapping! :tu:

Thanks for the heads up on remapping, I did not know this. :)

mrrogers1 - Thanks.. I actually toggled this before my ~1 hour drive home from Richmond, and Sensorly caught 600-something 4G points as opposed to the previous 400-something, phone stayed cool, and battery increased about 13 percent from charging. Before, with WiFi option not toggled, besides the phone getting really hot, it only increased 4 percent while charging, and that was for a longer 1.5 hour drive during traffic. I'll probably still keep Sensorly off throughout the week though, as I'll be driving the same route to work daily. But it is important I evaluate 4G performance closely all week otherwise b/c my contract ends next weekend and I have to figure out what I'm going to do.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better value proposition than Sprint and with LTE deployment picking up (and only getting better) I can't think of a reason to "do anything". :D

Oh, if you aren't already, grab the SignalChecker Pro app and use that. It'll help with the evaluation and is a wonderful app (the developer is here in the forums and really receptive to feedback) for anyone to have on their devices.

Phone was running really slow, reset connections, reset phone, reset router but everything was running like it was connected at 1x. So i try to update the profile and PRL and got these. 2013-07-29155759_zpsc6e7a007.png2013-07-29155729_zps2cd6604a.png

Called customer service and they had me put in some numbers, it did nothing. Took my girlfriends HTC One and everything updated fine. I hate the repair centers and i don't want to do a hard reset, anybody have any ideas?

Is the phone actually on your account, second is your account suspended?

Next thing I would try is dial ##72786# then enter your msl. The phone will restart and then go through a ful hands-free provisioning

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Phone was running really slow, reset connections, reset phone, reset router but everything was running like it was connected at 1x. So i try to update the profile and PRL and got these. 2013-07-29155759_zpsc6e7a007.png2013-07-29155729_zps2cd6604a.png

Called customer service and they had me put in some numbers, it did nothing. Took my girlfriends HTC One and everything updated fine. I hate the repair centers and i don't want to do a hard reset, anybody have any ideas?

Try it again tomorrow. It could be network related. Also, restart your phone, then try again.

Is the phone actually on your account, second is your account suspended? Next thing I would try is dial ##72786# then enter your msl. The phone will restart and then go through a ful hands-free provisioning Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Did that, it would not go through the the whole process, and i just paid the bill so it shouldn't be suspended.

Try it again tomorrow. It could be network related. Also, restart your phone, then try again.

I will, but i think im just going to take it in...

Whenever this has happened to me my phone needed to be reprovisioned. Call the Tech desk if the problem persists even after restarting the phone.

Got a hold of an HTC ONE for a great deal yesterday, rooted and s-off'd in less than an hour.#WinningOn the rich man's HTC, sipping on some Moonshine

That's the way to do it! Welcome to the club.... Now come grab you some d3rpONE Rom and you'll be all set. ;)

That's the way to do it! Welcome to the club.... Now come grab you some d3rpONE Rom and you'll be all set. ;)

I ran Viper4G on my LTE... Giving ViperONE a go now. This thing flies. I love it.

Might give derp a go in a couple days. SMW isn't going to port the tweaks app and hub until 4.2.2 drops, I'll probably be bouncing around trying new stuff for a while. :)

Edit: I miss the hell out of the recent apps button so I could map it to short- menu and long-recent apps. Eff this long press for menu crap.

Stuck on the Poor Man's HTC for now.

Quick question.  I was looking into getting a ONE and was told to wait to get a phone that will be able to receive the 800mhz and 2.5 GHZ bands of LTE that will be rolling out in the future.  Then I saw this link http://www.androidcentral.com/att-htc-one-receiving-update-enable-new-frequency-bands and wondered if it is just an AT&T thing to be able to update the radios like that or is that something that Sprint can do too?  The only reason I ask is that I HATE my EVO 4G LTE....

Quick question. I was looking into getting a ONE and was told to wait to get a phone that will be able to receive the 800mhz and 2.5 GHZ bands of LTE that will be rolling out in the future. Then I saw this link http://www.androidcentral.com/att-htc-one-receiving-update-enable-new-frequency-bands and wondered if it is just an AT&T thing to be able to update the radios like that or is that something that Sprint can do too? The only reason I ask is that I HATE my EVO 4G LTE....

From what I can tell, the Sprint variant only has band 25 LTE which is CDMA 1900 only. We have GSM 900/1800 for our world roaming.

Personally, I wouldn't wait but then again, I upgrade every year. Also, I don't know how fast the other LTE bands are going to be lit up once the existing 1900 systems are fully up and running. I think the One is a great device and holding on to it for 2yr then upgrading to tri-band would make good sense. I'm not much for "holding out" for the next big thing, I buy the big thing and then get the next big thing when it's available. (*I gots issues.... Lol)

• Like 1

I was fine on my Evo LTE but I came across a great deal on a One, and I had an upgrade on one of my lines, so that's why I jumped to it. I'm in Miami and supposedly LTE 2500 is already live around here so one of the newer, unreleased tri band handsets would be nice, but I guess I could just use an upgrade next year :-) But if that LTE deployment isn't quick, I'd have no problem holding on to my One. I really like it.

Edited by Jaggrey
  • Like 1

Well, turns out even though Sprint said the device was perfectly fine before I made the purchase, turns out the phone was stolen. No HTC ONE for me.

Anybody want a ONE for parts? $250 obo.

Well, turns out even though Sprint said the device was perfectly fine before I made the purchase, turns out the phone was stolen. No HTC ONE for me.

Anybody want a ONE for parts? $250 obo.

OH MAN! That really, really sucks. I don't know if there is anything more you can do but hoping the info Sprint gave you can be used to recoop some of your money. That is just ridiculous man, how the heck did the ESN pass the Sprint sniff check?

Oh, also, the phone is not repairable so best use is as a "bad esn" test device. This is a pretty sad deal man... Sorry bud.

uploadfromtaptalk1375685683456.jpg

OH MAN! That really, really sucks. I don't know if there is anything more you can do but hoping the info Sprint gave you can be used to recoop some of your money. That is just ridiculous man, how the heck did the ESN pass the Sprint sniff check? Oh, also, the phone is not repairable so best use is as a "bad esn" test device. This is a pretty sad deal man... Sorry bud. Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't have a clue how it passed. But, I'm pretty pissed to say the least. Might trade it in to Best Buy for $210...