HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

I've got bad news, after getting mine on day one and dropping it easily over 100 times, my glass has finally cracked. The good news is its only two separate cracks that you can't feel. Still saddening though.

In other news I do like the red but I prefer the black.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

I've got bad news, after getting mine on day one and dropping it easily over 100 times, my glass has finally cracked. The good news is its only two separate cracks that you can't feel. Still saddening though.

that's one thing i've noticed with this glass compared to the previous EVO's, it's weak.  Mine got scratched in my pocket day one.  i never put a screen on any of the others and never got a scratch or crack.

I've had all of the evos and the One has held up the best. With the other phones I would have been on device number 3 by now. I managed to go threw 3 evo3ds in two weeks once.

that's one thing i've noticed with this glass compared to the previous EVO's, it's weak.  Mine got scratched in my pocket day one.  i never put a screen on any of the others and never got a scratch or crack.

It's not weaker, its just by coincidence it happened to your one compared to previous models.  The one uses the same gorilla glass 2 thats on the evo lte but IMO a lot of people give "gorilla glass" more credit than it really deserves.  I am sure that 90% of all scratches on a smartphone screen are caused by sand/silica getting in contact with the screen and thats the one thing gorilla glass won't be able to protect against.  

Is anybody else's Google Now being temperamental?  Many times when I go to Google Now no cards appear at all.  I'll hit the menu -> refresh and same thing.  Then I'll try it again a few minutes later and it'll display the normal cards (time to work/home, weather, etc.).

Hopefully the update that's supposed to come out today will help with this.  I never had this problem on my Evo and it just started happening on the One over the past couple of weeks.

Edited by Jaggrey

Is anybody else's Google Now being temperamental?  Many times when I go to Google Now no cards appear at all.  I'll hit the menu -> refresh and same thing.  Then I'll try it again a few minutes later and it'll display the normal cards (time to work/home, weather, etc.).

Hopefully the update that's supposed to come out today will help with this.  I never had this problem on my Evo and it just started happening on the One over the past couple of weeks.

I'm not having any issues with google now.

The only issue I"m having with google now lately is that it would not remind me of a reminder I set based on location.  When I arrive at that location (usually Home), the reminder never comes.....

Is anybody else's Google Now being temperamental? Many times when I go to Google Now no cards appear at all. I'll hit the menu -> refresh and same thing. Then I'll try it again a few minutes later and it'll display the normal cards (time to work/home, weather, etc.).

Hopefully the update that's supposed to come out today will help with this. I never had this problem on my Evo and it just started happening on the One over the past couple of weeks.

What update today?

On the rich man's HTC, sipping on some Moonshine.

Ahh ok. I thought for some reason you were referring to 4.3. Hahhaha. Sorry. Didn't get enough sleep last night.

On the rich man's HTC, sipping on some Moonshine.

YIKES! A case might help ya. :D

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

YIKES! A case might help ya. :D

I'm not a big fan of cases. They make it hard to get out of my pocket and people usually only call me when I'm driving or on top of a ladder. And it takes away from the beauty of the phone. If it was a Samsung I'd have a case on it in a heartbeat.

I'm not a big fan of cases. They make it hard to get out of my pocket and people usually only call me when I'm driving or on top of a ladder. And it takes away from the beauty of the phone. If it was a Samsung I'd have a case on it in a heartbeat.

Call me paranoid, but I've seen people around with the HTC ONE without a case, and it makes me cringe at the thought of the phone falling.

Plus less damage means higher resell value :P

-Luis

• Like 1

Call me paranoid, but I've seen people around with the HTC ONE without a case, and it makes me cringe at the thought of the phone falling.

Plus less damage means higher resell value :P

-Luis

I like my battle scares, makes it unique. Plus it makes it easy to identify.

It's not weaker, its just by coincidence it happened to your one compared to previous models.  The one uses the same gorilla glass 2 thats on the evo lte but IMO a lot of people give "gorilla glass" more credit than it really deserves.  I am sure that 90% of all scratches on a smartphone screen are caused by sand/silica getting in contact with the screen and thats the one thing gorilla glass won't be able to protect against.  

As I would normally agree with this, I can't.  My routine with my phone almost never changes, and it hasn't changed in the last three phones from the OG Evo to the LTEVO to the One.  This screen suffered a significant scratch quite quickly and looks to have a subsurface crack/scratch that, though not impeeding the phone, is visible when there are smudges.  this happened within months of owning the phone.  My og evo took more abuse then this one as it was exposed to more dirt/dust, much of which is sandy clay loam soils, long throws and the glass never scratched or cracked and i had that phone for two years.  The LTEVO was almost the exact same.  So as much as i would like to think that this glass is the same GG2 as the previous LTEVO, it is either not as thick, or a different glass then previous generations.

As I would normally agree with this, I can't.  My routine with my phone almost never changes, and it hasn't changed in the last three phones from the OG Evo to the LTEVO to the One.  This screen suffered a significant scratch quite quickly and looks to have a subsurface crack/scratch that, though not impeeding the phone, is visible when there are smudges.  this happened within months of owning the phone.  My og evo took more abuse then this one as it was exposed to more dirt/dust, much of which is sandy clay loam soils, long throws and the glass never scratched or cracked and i had that phone for two years.  The LTEVO was almost the exact same.  So as much as i would like to think that this glass is the same GG2 as the previous LTEVO, it is either not as thick, or a different glass then previous generations.

How many times have people tossed their phones around or drop it on all sorts of surfaces and nothing happens but that same person would be sitting at home and accidentally drop their phone a few feet onto the carpet and shatter the screen?  If there is a crack somewhere then more than likely it was from an unlucky drop or bump.  I have also seen screens get very fragile with a sudden and drastic change in temperature.  If there is an actual scratch and not a crack then more than likely it was caused by sand/silica which be found virtually everywhere.  My OG evo, evo 3d and evo lte all had minor scratches on the screen at some point but so far I don't have a single blemish on my one(watch I go outside and drop it in the parking lot, LOL).

How many times have people tossed their phones around or drop it on all sorts of surfaces and nothing happens but that same person would be sitting at home and accidentally drop their phone a few feet onto the carpet and shatter the screen?  If there is a crack somewhere then more than likely it was from an unlucky drop or bump.  I have also seen screens get very fragile with a sudden and drastic change in temperature.  If there is an actual scratch and not a crack then more than likely it was caused by sand/silica which be found virtually everywhere.  My OG evo, evo 3d and evo lte all had minor scratches on the screen at some point but so far I don't have a single blemish on my one(watch I go outside and drop it in the parking lot, LOL).

I hate having cases on my phones. That said, I had my ONE out with me on a field report, it slid out of the jacket pocket into the grass... and lookie there two nice dings/scratches on the aluminum edge finish. Didn't fall more than a foot or two. From that point on I've kept it in a case because I don't want any more scratches. Never had that issue with my OG 4G, 3D, or LTE. Even though they were certainly dropped several times.

My one has been through a lot. It spends it's days usually with a knife, screw driver, and/or other sharp metal tools scrapping both sides of it. It's gone down the wooden stairs into the concrete floor multiple times, has found many parking lots and concrete floors. It's bounced down the 10 foot ladder a few times, sat on my dash in the sun for a few hours streaming music getting it up to around 150 degrees and spent a few hours in the freezer while I was working in there. Pretty much the phone manufacturers should send me things to torture test. It would be better than what they do now.

My one has been through a lot. It spends it's days usually with a knife, screw driver, and/or other sharp metal tools scrapping both sides of it. It's gone down the wooden stairs into the concrete floor multiple times, has found many parking lots and concrete floors. It's bounced down the 10 foot ladder a few times, sat on my dash in the sun for a few hours streaming music getting it up to around 150 degrees and spent a few hours in the freezer while I was working in there. Pretty much the phone manufacturers should send me things to torture test. It would be better than what they do now.

:D

uploadfromtaptalk1377221624037.jpg

• Like 1

Has anybody had any issues with their screens going blank during voicemail playback?  Not sure if this is an issue with the proximity sensor or a software bug.  Posted a video to demonstrate the problem:

Thanks in advance.

That makes my skin crawl.  Sir, consider yourself reported to PPS -- Phone Protective Services.

AJ

• Like 3

Started getting the "No SIM card" error tonight. Put the phone in my pocket to drive to work and when I took it out at my desk, the icon was in the tray. Not thrilled about it, regardless of the cause.

I got that after one of the many drops this thing has been threw. Restarted and dropped many more times and it never came back.