Google Fiber in Austin...and AT&T's response

iansltx

It's official: Google Fiber is coming to Austin. AT&T has also said that, provided they get the same incentives that Google does, they'll run gigabit as well. I trust AT&T about as far as I can throw one of their VRADs, but we'll see what happens between now and when Google connects its first customer, over a year from now.

• Like 2

This should be comical.

AT&T will offer 1Gbps for up to 100GB, then overages.

1Gbps will be download only, 1Mbit up, subject to availability.

1Gbps speeds may vary by market and location. Not all locations will be able to receive AT&T fiber but instead U-Verse+, an expanded U-Verse offering up to 30Mbit*.

AT&T fiber customers are required to sign a 5 year contract and must be an AT&T wireless subscriber.

• Like 12

More proof we could have nationwide gigabit (at least in major metro markets) if we didn't leave it in the dualopoly's hands.

Around here Verizon just has to flip a switch to turn on gigabit... Ensuring we'll never see it because who wants to compete? AT&T is easy pickings, with their antiquated DSL network.

• Like 2

Yeah, AT&T will have to do it if the push to Gigabit goes nationwide.

If they go gigabit nationwide it would just reduce their ludicrous profit margins somewhat.

Yet another "ME TOO!!!" PR cry, promising bunch of nothing. After trying to steal T-Mobile's HD Voice thunder, they're doing exactly the same with Google...

Can you tell that I despise AT&T? lol

Google should now back out, see if AT&T actually do anything.

If you read into it, AT&T might not actually do anything anyway.

It'd be good if Google would target areas where people don't have any broadband at all, or where people don't have a choice and are stuck with terrible DSL providers like CenturyUnlink.

In NYC, we have much of the infrastructure in place. There is tons of dark fiber from the late 90's. The mayor is serious about fiber too. He passed a bill to accelerate deployment of fiber by TWC, Cablevision, and Verizon. Verizon is the only out of the three that runs fiber into your home. The other two run fiber to the curb and then coaxial cables into your home. It would not cost much for them to run it into our home, if they ever decide to do that. And I think both TWC and Cablevision usage direct fiber to businesses that use their services.

• Like 1

Yet another "ME TOO!!!" PR cry, promising bunch of nothing. After trying to steal T-Mobile's HD Voice thunder, they're doing exactly the same with Google...

Can you tell that I despise AT&T? lol

AT&T is the master of telecom vaporware. The sad part is that fiber wouldn't be that much of a deterrent to their short term profit. Over the long run, they'd put the hurt on the cable companies with a solid fiber to the home strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Not everywhere has FiOS in NYC, but Cablevision is plenty fast.

buckeye cable I have is 110mb down... I'm good with the speed I guess but not with the price

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Not everywhere has FiOS in NYC, but Cablevision is plenty fast.

I personally HATE the cable companies for their pricing schemes and crappy services. Everyone I know who switched to cable internet hate it, random slowdowns, etc. I personally will gladly offer Verizon my hard earned money for FiOS, at least it always works.

I personally HATE the cable companies for their pricing schemes and crappy services. Everyone I know who switched to cable internet hate it, random slowdowns, etc. I personally will gladly offer Verizon my hard earned money for FiOS, at least it always works.

FoOD isn't in my neighborhood provably due to zoning. It got classified as a historical district last year and now I can't even change my windows without going to the community board. Kind of annoying.

FoOD isn't in my neighborhood provably due to zoning. It got classified as a historical district last year and now I can't even change my windows without going to the community board. Kind of annoying.

That's why I'm staying across the river in NJ my friend.

How close does the FoOD get? A few blocks away at the grocery store or bodega?

:P

AJ

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

In NYC, we have much of the infrastructure in place. There is tons of dark fiber from the late 90's. The mayor is serious about fiber too. He passed a bill to accelerate deployment of fiber by TWC, Cablevision, and Verizon. Verizon is the only out of the three that runs fiber into your home. The other two run fiber to the curb and then coaxial cables into your home. It would not cost much for them to run it into our home, if they ever decide to do that. And I think both TWC and Cablevision usage direct fiber to businesses that use their services.

It would cost a lot of money.  That is why Verizon stopped expanding in my state ran out of funds.  Last time I heard fiber was 3 or 4 something a foot.  I don't know how many pairs but lets say you have 200 foot run to your house.  Then inside fiber they need to run.  They do run fiber to business that require it and local companies run fiber for cell towers.  I know sprint is using local compies 

Random slow downs are usually cause from ingress. 

most households will have no use for gigabit fiber.

BS. As everything moves to the cloud, everything you do that normally comes off your HDD will come over fiber. On the extreme end, to match my laptop's performance, I would need a 14Gb down/8Gb up connection, neglecting protocol overhead. Of course this will never be quite the necessary case because there will be judicious use of intelligent tiered local caching, predictive loading, and such. This isn't that far away.

BS. As everything moves to the cloud, everything you do that normally comes off your HDD will come over fiber. On the extreme end, to match my laptop's performance, I would need a 14Gb down/8Gb up connection, neglecting protocol overhead. Of course this will never be quite the necessary case because there will be judicious use of intelligent tiered local caching, predictive loading, and such. This isn't that far away.

Isn't that far away? 

Gigabit is 10 years away from being available in MOST all the metropolitan areas. 

Only a small portion of internet users have any NEED for internet speeds greater than 50mbps. 

Of course in the future this will change.