T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Pardon me but I don't see a huge difference between Sprint's balance sheet and T-Mo US's balance sheet. What DT wants is fatter margins. They're already at break even but clearly that is not enough for them. They want fat, confiscatory carrier profits like what they get in the fatherland.

The major point is this country can support four providers - Timmy just wants the SoftBank sale so he can get the fat capital gain.

Puh-leeeaaasse. Do you think softbank really bought sprint without believing 100% that they'd be allowed to buy tmus? NO!

According to reports, softbank was shocked over Feds' resistance to consolidation in the initial meetings in jan/feb 2014.

Their desparation became evident by the degree of BS in their "if you let us buy tmus we'll compete with cable and fios"

No one wants to compete in a 4 player market.

Not DT. Not softbank.

Pardon me but I don't see a huge difference between Sprint's balance sheet and T-Mo US's balance sheet. What DT wants is fatter margins. They're already at break even but clearly that is not enough for them. They want fat, confiscatory carrier profits like what they get in the fatherland.

The major point is this country can support four providers - Timmy just wants the SoftBank sale so he can get the fat capital gain.

Ahem see my reply above regarding softbanks justification for even buying sprint ie they thought they'd be able to buy tmus so they'd have the same lack of competition as in THEIR homeland

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL3N0N83E020140423?irpc=932

"You could say the mobile market is an oligopoly of the three big companies," Communications Minister Yoshitaka Shindo said at a regular news conference this month.

His ministry is preparing long-term proposals to bring lower prices and faster services, including fostering growth of mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs), cut-rate providers that lease network access from the big carriers.

The sniping will not help Son's plans to acquire T-Mobile US Inc.

Ryan, Sprint's balance sheet is an irrelevant comparison.  Suggesting that Sprint persists with similar finances, so T-Mobile can and should stick it out with similar finances, too, is like a parent saying that your brother eats broccoli, so you can and should eat broccoli, too.  But, hey, maybe I just do not want to eat broccoli.

Moreover, just because Sprint's balance sheet is similar does not mean such is sustainable longterm -- nor desirable.  Plenty of Sprint naysayers certainly think its finances signal impending doom.

bigsnake49 is right.  Deutsche Telekom wants out of this slim margin business.  And that is all that really matters.

AJ

• Like 1

Ryan, Sprint's balance sheet is an irrelevant comparison.  Suggesting that Sprint persists with similar finances, so T-Mobile can and should stick it out with similar finances, too, is like a parent saying that your brother eats broccoli, so you can and should eat broccoli, too.  But, hey, maybe I just do not want to eat broccoli.

Moreover, just because Sprint's balance sheet is similar does not mean such is sustainable longterm -- nor desirable.  Plenty of Sprint naysayers certainly think its finances signal impending doom.

bigsnake49 is right.  Deutsche Telekom wants out of this slim margin business.  And that is all that really matters.

AJ

The question I have is would Tmo consider buying itself from DT similar to Verizon. I know it would never happen b/c they don't have the ability to do it as it would devistate the BS as LT capital raising would be the only way.

The question I have is would Tmo consider buying itself from DT similar to Verizon. I know it would never happen b/c they don't have the ability to do it as it would devistate the BS as LT capital raising would be the only way.

Verizon owned 55% of vzw;

It has a landline business to milk from which to pay off the loan;

Vzw is profitable itself.

Now compare to tmus.

Verizon owned 55% of vzw;

It has a landline business to milk from which to pay off the loan;

Vzw is profitable itself.

Now compare to tmus.

Completely agree.  It is not feasible for Tmo.  With the increase in cash financing outflow for Verizon, earnings estimates were dropped this week or last week.

AJ

How many of these naysayers are people in the financial community wanting a merged third provider to get fatter margins though? There's naysayers of every company, but the context of it regarding Sprint from the analyst community doesn't seem to be that different than TMUS - it's merge to get fatter margins. 

I don't care about commenters on TMoNews or FierceWireless, I'm speaking of financial analysts. They want fatter margins for the street, much like Son wants on his stock and Timmy Hottges wants on his return for the Deutsche Telekom board of management and German investors. 

Sprint is sustainable, there's just a lot of Wall Street people that aren't pleased with the kind of sustainable. Still, I'm concerned it's this type of talk that's going to land us with Robelus like ATVerizonSprinT-Mobile triopoly. Investors would sure benefit, though! Not denying that. 

• Like 2

How many of these naysayers are people in the financial community wanting a merged third provider to get fatter margins though? There's naysayers of every company, but the context of it regarding Sprint from the analyst community doesn't seem to be that different than TMUS - it's merge to get fatter margins.

I don't care about commenters on TMoNews or FierceWireless, I'm speaking of financial analysts. They want fatter margins for the street, much like Son wants on his stock and Timmy Hottges wants on his return for the Deutsche Telekom board of management and German investors.

Sprint is sustainable, there's just a lot of Wall Street people that aren't pleased with the kind of sustainable. Still, I'm concerned it's this type of talk that's going to land us with Robelus like ATVerizonSprinT-Mobile triopoly. Investors would sure benefit, though! Not denying that.

On the plus side you could buy some stock and use the dividends to pay your bill. Lol

I quite like how legere acts and i hope he keeps acting that way. i could tell he wanted to swear really bad in the video and i wish he had.

That's because he panders to certain user groups, trying to be hip and cool.

It's no different than seeing all the neckbeards out in full force for protests, then quietly heading back home to their plush lives.

• Like 2

That's because he panders to certain user groups, trying to be hip and cool.

It's no different than seeing all the neckbeards out in full force for protests, then quietly heading back home to their plush lives.

Which rapper was it who protested at occupy with a $300 shirt? Lol.
  • Like 1

Nobody is saying anything about how similar the two balance sheets are nor am I denying it. Think of it from Son's and DT's point of view. They see the upcoming 600MHz auction and they crap in their pants. They see how much AWS-3 brought in and they are scared to death. If you think that just because there is set aside that the 600MHz auction won't be expensive, think again. The set aside is not just for Sprint and T-Mobile, it's for everybody not named AT&T or Verizon. Think spectrum speculators, think Dish, think Google. The AWS-3 auction totally distorted the price for spectrum. Tim wants to cash in but nobody wants to buy. The only avenue I see is a merger or a spinoff. Tim does not want to spin it off at current share prices, they are too low. Remember after you win at the 600MHz auction you have to deploy and of course 5G is around the corner.

I would have been perfectly content with 4 competitors if they were about the same size and had equal amounts of low band spectrum. But now you have 2 behemoths and two sisters of the poor.

Edited by bigsnake49

According to this map, it seems like Tmobile and the KXLA tv station in Los Angeles on 1/13/15 has come to an agreement to allow Tmobile to broadcast 700 MHz within its vicinity.  I am not sure what this means in terms of when it will be effective for Tmobile to begin deploying 700 MHz LTE and how this affects any Ch 51 interference.   Either way this is good news for LA Tmobile customers if they can begin to deploy 700 MHz LTE.

https://spectrum-gateway.appspot.com/t-mobile-700-mhz-spectrum.html

According to this map, it seems like Tmobile and the KXLA tv station in Los Angeles on 1/13/15 has come to an agreement to allow Tmobile to broadcast 700 MHz within its vicinity. I am not sure what this means in terms of when it will be effective for Tmobile to begin deploying 700 MHz LTE and how this affects any Ch 51 interference. Either way this is good news for LA Tmobile customers if they can begin to deploy 700 MHz LTE.

https://spectrum-gateway.appspot.com/t-mobile-700-mhz-spectrum.html

Maybe instead of 5mhz fdd it'll be 3mhz fdd.

Also the tv station in Lansing Michigan filed a petition to relocate. Same site. Fcc petition is available.

Nobody is saying anything about how similar the two balance sheets are nor am I denying it. Think of it from Son's and DT's point of view. They see the upcoming 600MHz auction and they crap in their pants. They see how much AWS-3 brought in and they are scared to death. If you think that just because there is set aside that the 600MHz auction won't be expensive, think again. The set aside is not just for Sprint and T-Mobile, it's for everybody not named AT&T or Verizon.

Everyone should be aware of the present plans for reserved spectrum in the 600 MHz incentive auction.  The maximum reserve is 30 MHz.   Again, that is the maximum.  But in markets where broadcasters have relinquished only 60 MHz of spectrum, that reserve shrinks to 20 MHz.  And in markets where broadcasters have relinquished only 50 MHz of spectrum, the reserve gets cut again to 10 MHz.  In that last case, all reserved spectrum bidders would be competing for only one 5 MHz FDD license block.  In other words, Sprint or T-Mobile or both would get shut out of the reserved spectrum in those markets.  And that certainly frightens both operators.

I keep saying this, but many do not believe me.  Barring government use of eminent domain, this 600 MHz incentive auction may never happen -- at least, not in any substantial form.  It has all the makings of a stalemate between the FCC and broadcasters.  After all, just clearing that minimal example of 50 MHz of spectrum plus guard bands would require taking approximately 10 channels off the air in a given market.  I can easily envision markets in which even less than 50 MHz of spectrum would come available for auction.  The idea that broadcasters will relinquish upwards of 100 MHz just seems like a pipe dream.

AJ

• Like 1

Everyone should be aware of the present plans for reserved spectrum in the 600 MHz incentive auction. The maximum reserve is 30 MHz. Again, that is the maximum. But in markets where broadcasters have relinquished only 60 MHz of spectrum, that reserve shrinks to 20 MHz. And in markets where broadcasters have relinquished only 50 MHz of spectrum, the reserve gets cut again to 10 MHz. In that last case, all reserved spectrum bidders would be competing for only one 5 MHz FDD license block. In other words, Sprint or T-Mobile or both would get shut out of the reserved spectrum in those markets. And that certainly frightens both operators.

I keep saying this, but many do not believe me. Barring government use of eminent domain, this 600 MHz incentive auction may never happen -- at least, not in any substantial form. It has all the makings of a stalemate between the FCC and broadcasters. After all, just clearing that minimal example of 50 MHz of spectrum plus guard bands would require taking approximately 10 channels off the air in a given market. I can easily envision markets in which even less than 50 MHz of spectrum would come available for auction. The idea that broadcasters will relinquish upwards of 100 MHz just seems like a pipe dream.

AJ

They're getting paid. And if that doesn't provide enough incentive, different revenue sharing models could be considered which eventually tail off to 0.

Maybe instead of 5mhz fdd it'll be 3mhz fdd.

Also the tv station in Lansing Michigan filed a petition to relocate. Same site. Fcc petition is available.

3 MHz FDD is still better than nothing.  As long as Tmo customers start seeing some low band LTE in the LA/OC area, that is a step up from zero.  Eventually if the 600 Mhz auction occurs, KXLA could permanently relocate to another channel and then the entire 5 MHz will be freed up.  Now only if they can get Chicago, Boston and NYC to do the same.

3 MHz FDD is still better than nothing. As long as Tmo customers start seeing some low band LTE in the LA/OC area, that is a step up from zero. Eventually if the 600 Mhz auction occurs, KXLA could permanently relocate to another channel and then the entire 5 MHz will be freed up. Now only if they can get Chicago, Boston and NYC to do the same.

If tv51 can be free from interference with 3gdd why can't NYC or Chicago

They're getting paid. And if that doesn't provide enough incentive, different revenue sharing models could be considered which eventually tail off to 0.

The only current incentive/model is the auction plan that has already been approved.  If that does not work, then the auction gets delayed or falters.  Any revised plan would take years to implement.  So, talk to me again in 2020.

AJ

I would bet at least half their customer base is millennials. Millennials love data, cheap prices...and casual swearing.

Eh, those are also the most fickle of users. What happens when the network gets overloaded?

Everyone should be aware of the present plans for reserved spectrum in the 600 MHz incentive auction.  The maximum reserve is 30 MHz.   Again, that is the maximum.  But in markets where broadcasters have relinquished only 60 MHz of spectrum, that reserve shrinks to 20 MHz.  And in markets where broadcasters have relinquished only 50 MHz of spectrum, the reserve gets cut again to 10 MHz.  In that last case, all reserved spectrum bidders would be competing for only one 5 MHz FDD license block.  In other words, Sprint or T-Mobile or both would get shut out of the reserved spectrum in those markets.  And that certainly frightens both operators.

I keep saying this, but many do not believe me.  Barring government use of eminent domain, this 600 MHz incentive auction may never happen -- at least, not in any substantial form.  It has all the makings of a stalemate between the FCC and broadcasters.  After all, just clearing that minimal example of 50 MHz of spectrum plus guard bands would require taking approximately 10 channels off the air in a given market.  I can easily envision markets in which even less than 50 MHz of spectrum would come available for auction.  The idea that broadcasters will relinquish upwards of 100 MHz just seems like a pipe dream.

AJ

It will happen because broadcasters are greedy. When they see the amounts being bandied about after AWS-3 they see giant dollar signs. Do they get all the proceeds from the forward auction?

It will happen because broadcasters are greedy. When they see the amounts being bandied about after AWS-3 they see giant dollar signs. Do they get all the proceeds from the forward auction?

No. Some goes to first net

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/fccs-wheeler-lays-out-plan-draw-broadcasters-600-mhz-incentive-auction/2014-06-26

http://assets.fiercemarkets.net/public/mdano/amis/fcc-auction-presentation.pdf

AJ

I'm fine with incentive auctions in theory. But the broadcasters were GIVEN the spectrum, they didn't buy it like a wireless carrier. Why should the broadcasters get any money from this deal, they never paid money for it in the first place. I wish they'd just vacate eveything above channel 38, pay the broadcasters relocation costs, and do the auction. It would avoid messy band and interferance issues.

I'd also like to see them eventually rework the original 50Mhz of Cellular spectrum into 5 5x5Mhz licenses. The current owners of the A and B licenses would get 2 licenses each, with an ownership limit of 3 licenses per CMA. That would leave 1 (or 2) new license(s) that could be sold in each CMA.

• Like 1