T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Tmobile is at 147mbps real world speeds. Sprint is at 60 and in 2-3 years will match that right?

When Sprint starts bonding TD-LTE channels together they'll be ahead of T-Mobile. Until then they are best off with rebuilding their network and executing better. 

Poor execution is the main problem for Sprint. Ericsson im talking about you.

When Sprint starts bonding TD-LTE channels together they'll be ahead of T-Mobile. Until then they are best off with rebuilding their network and executing better.

I would focus on seamless hand-off between lte sites in tdd band 41 to fdd pcs smr before I am overly concerned about 100 maps theoretical speeds... That would satisfy the lot and help retain customers and create recommendation to the network! Numbers are pretty... But consistency!

I would focus on seamless hand-off between lte sites in tdd band 41 to fdd pcs smr before I am overly concerned about 100 maps theoretical speeds... That would satisfy the lot and help retain customers and create recommendation to the network! Numbers are pretty... But consistency!

Hand offs between TDD-LTE to PCS-LTE is less than a second and unnoticeable. 

• Like 1

Poor execution is the main problem for Sprint. Ericsson im talking about you.

Until they get the Ericsson deal rearranged favorably, Sprint is going to have to take shots from Miami Vice. Sprint employees and leadership can't get caught in his bluster, they just have to keep working to do better on the network, accelerate 800 and TD-LTE, and perhaps open up 1900 channels for existing devices as well. Sprint is working on this. The strategy is right, the execution just needs improvement, and has trended in that direction the last few months. I think the worst is over.

Numbers win 8/10. Sprint with 8 mbps will never beat tmobile if it had 25-30 on average. Coverage or not. The average customer bases everything on numbers

Hand offs between TDD-LTE to PCS-LTE is less than a second and unnoticeable.

that still in theory not in practical practice... I still Park on 3g in a covered lte area... Just know that from a technically semi enlightened consumer standpoint I understand because I read.. But for masses that means dog poop...

that still in theory not in practical practice... I still Park on 3g in a covered lte area... Just know that from a technically semi enlightened consumer standpoint I understand because I read.. But for masses that means dog poop...

You're talking to someone who has been testing TDD-LTE to PCS LTE handouts for almost a week on a Galaxy S4T...

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

You're talking to someone who has been testing TDD-LTE to PCS LTE handouts for almost a week on a Galaxy S4T...Sent from my Nexus 5

I am speaking nation wide not your market exclusively.... I wish I had the same experience that you are... But I believe ultimately sprint is a good hand to be holding... They have a positive upswing with proper direction...

I am speaking nation wide not your market exclusively.... I wish I had the same experience that you are... But I believe ultimately sprint is a good hand to be holding... They have a positive upswing with proper direction...

?????

Sent from my Nexus 5

Numbers win 8/10. Sprint with 8 mbps will never beat tmobile if it had 25-30 on average. Coverage or not. The average customer bases everything on numbers

the average customer does see numbers but those numbers that they advertise are very uniform yes you can see upwards of 60 megabytes per second but in reality you will only see 5 to 12 consistently and those are the numbers are they actually do advertise we as s4gru members do care about peak numbers but if we're talking about our mothers, uncles, regular Joe small brother and sister they just want a phone that works and can stream YouTube get on Twitter and not fail during a call...

?????Sent from my Nexus 5

card analogy poker, spades... Good hand! Get it... :-)
  • Like 1

"T-Mobile today announced that its 4G LTE network now covers 209 million people in 273 metro areas. They also announced speed test results that indicate their network is now the fastest. In markets with 10+10 MHz LTE, they are seeing 72 Mbps. In markets like Dallas with 20+20 MHz, customers can expect up to 147 Mbps."

Tmobile is looking quite good lol. Come on sprint let's get things rolling lol

Tmobile is at 147mbps real world speeds. Sprint is at 60 and in 2-3 years will match that right?

I've seen numerous interviews where people from Sprint and Clear said that they plan on adding another 20Mhz of spectrum this year to have speeds of up to 168Mbps.

I've seen numerous interviews where people from Sprint and Clear said that they plan on adding another 20Mhz of spectrum this year to have speeds of up to 168Mbps.

I've read it will be the end of this year and late 2015 or sometime in 2016 we will see 1gbps

I've read it will be the end of this year and late 2015 or sometime in 2016 we will see 1gbps

Would you like to buy the London Bridge?  I can make you an offer you cannot refuse.

AJ

• Like 4

Carrier says Q4 was best in 8 years with 1.645M net adds.  Is that accurate?  Maybe Sprint lost 1 million customers?

T-Mobile ends ETFs by offering to pay up to $650 to switchers - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-ends-etfs-offering-pay-650-switchers/2014-01-08#ixzz2psAEi800 

Would you like to buy the London Bridge?  I can make you an offer you cannot refuse.

AJ

Which London Bridge?

Also, when they say they cover 239 Million people does that mean POPs or actual residential areas?

Which London Bridge?

Also, when they say they cover 239 Million people does that mean POPs or actual residential areas?

Theres two extant bridges that have been called that, the one that allegedly someone thought was Tower bridge and bought it (apparently this isn't true) and the one they replaced that one with :) The older bridges were much cooler, there were shops etc built into them.

Tmobiles strategy is definitely getting ore disruptive but they sure as hell need the network to back it up. I was just sat in the corner of a pizzehut in the middle of town. Right by a corner window, I could barely get a signal and when I could the signal was not reliable. I have one big question for the loudmouth colgate advert, what happens when these people come? What happens to your network if you add 5 million subs? Sure assuming it costs you nothing to acquire these subs (hint: in wont) give the ARPU you would net an extra $2bn ish a year, the reality is it might add an extra $1bn but you have to have the network to keep them. Especially as you know AT&T will start making it easy for them to return and AT&T have the money to make the network happen. Assuming an unlimited budget exactly how quickly can you expand the networks capacity? 2 years? They have been and gone. Tmobile needs to have already started an aggressive expansion or they need to do something about the unlimited, perhaps capping the speed? I hope it goes well for them but part of me thinks this is an attempt to fluff the company prior to sale so whoever buys it has to deal with the reality of all the subs. Then again I could be wrong :) For the record I am not anti tmobile, I am reasonably happy with them, it does what it says on the tin, at least until Legere started making writing on the tin.

Theres two extant bridges that have been called that, the one that allegedly someone thought was Tower bridge and bought it (apparently this isn't true) and the one they replaced that one with :) The older bridges were much cooler, there were shops etc built into them.

Tmobiles strategy is definitely getting ore disruptive but they sure as hell need the network to back it up. I was just sat in the corner of a pizzehut in the middle of town. Right by a corner window, I could barely get a signal and when I could the signal was not reliable. I have one big question for the loudmouth colgate advert, what happens when these people come? What happens to your network if you add 5 million subs? Sure assuming it costs you nothing to acquire these subs (hint: in wont) give the ARPU you would net an extra $2bn ish a year, the reality is it might add an extra $1bn but you have to have the network to keep them. Especially as you know AT&T will start making it easy for them to return and AT&T have the money to make the network happen. Assuming an unlimited budget exactly how quickly can you expand the networks capacity? 2 years? They have been and gone. Tmobile needs to have already started an aggressive expansion or they need to do something about the unlimited, perhaps capping the speed? I hope it goes well for them but part of me thinks this is an attempt to fluff the company prior to sale so whoever buys it has to deal with the reality of all the subs. Then again I could be wrong :) For the record I am not anti tmobile, I am reasonably happy with them, it does what it says on the tin, at least until Legere started making writing on the tin.

They are betting the farm. Anyone can get subscribers at any cost. This might be too expensive in the long run.

I believe he thinks he can either sell the company with his stunts, or if that doesn't pan out, keep ahead of the shell game by having the growth of revenues be enough to pay for the network capex this new behemoth will require.

They have enough spectrum to serve double the customers. But it takes a lot of money to keep that network top notch. Also, I don't think double the customers will be happy with Tmo's islands of LTE. They are going to have to be more mainstream to get and keep customers. There are only so many Urban customers who never travel anywhere.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

There are only so many Urban customers who never travel anywhere. 

This right here sums up the situation exactly to my mind.   I wish there were more responsible journalists that would keep pounding on this one point.  For all the positive/praiseworthy things T-mo may well be doing, this one point needs to be driven home repeatedly to give proper context IMO.  If you're standing still in the right metro areas, sure, T-mo may hang the moon, but how many people stand still that long?  If that's their long term strategy/mindset, they targeted the wrong areas to work on their network then....rural areas are where that sort of behavior runs rampant.  My parents alone are testament to that premise.

Would you like to buy the London Bridge? I can make you an offer you cannot refuse.

AJ

AJ, didn't they already buy it and move it to Arizona? And does it still have ocean front property? Or maybe I am confused again ...

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

AJ, didn't they already buy it and move it to Arizona? And does it still have ocean front property? Or maybe I am confused again ...

That is a different London Bridge.  But if you buy the oceanfront property in Arizona, I throw the Golden Gate Bridge in for free.

AJ

• Like 4

This article was posted in another thread, but it bears reposting here, too.  It captures in a nutshell the shortcomings in mature network deployment that affect T-Mobile more so than VZW, AT&T, and Sprint.

http://bgr.com/2014/01/09/t-mobile-uncarrier-analysis-lte-service-coverage/

AJ

T-Mobile interests me because I like disruptions to the status quo when the status quo is a duopoly sucking people dry of money, but there is no way I will give up my Verizon LTE for T-Mobile EDGE which is exactly what I'd be doing if I switched.

• Like 1