Will any of the new phones coming out support 800mhz SMR data?

Maybe. No one knows for certain. No band 26 LTE 800 devices have been disclosed in the FCC OET database yet. A lot will depend upon the release dates of upcoming devices.

Now, this question has come up numerous times before, so please do a search before creating a new thread.

AJ

I thought the LTE devices were compatible with NV2

They will support 800MHz voice (not technically NV2 but it may seem that way since most towers aren't having it turned on yet, I'd assume due to spectrum limitations in areas).

No current Sprint device supports 800MHz LTE or LTE-Advanced at all. The majority of devices also only support 5x5MHz channels as well (not an issue currently since that's all Sprint is deploying right now). No phones support 2500MHz LTE either for Clearwire's urban deployments that are planned.

Depending on how exactly you classify "NV2" any one of these could fall under that category.

lol

They will support 800MHz voice (not technically NV2 but it may seem that way since most towers aren't having it turned on yet, I'd assume due to spectrum limitations in areas).

No current Sprint device supports 800MHz LTE or LTE-Advanced at all. The majority of devices also only support 5x5MHz channels as well (not an issue currently since that's all Sprint is deploying right now). No phones support 2500MHz LTE either for Clearwire's urban deployments that are planned.

Depending on how exactly you classify "NV2" any one of these could fall under that category.

I thought it was only just one upgrade(network vision) and done. I had no idea about NV2 lol.

I thought the LTE devices were compatible with NV2

They are. Network Vision 2.0 does not replace the current initiative. Any Sprint LTE device activated today should be data compatible for at least the next 5-10 years.

AJ

lol

I thought it was only just one upgrade(network vision) and done. I had no idea about NV2 lol.

Anything beyond the current deployment is not classified as Network Vision, technically. that doesn't mean that once NV is done that Sprint is just going to sit on its hands again. That's the reason we are where we are now. Network Vision is just the beginning to get Sprint's network back to a viable status.

All new phones will be able to take advantage of Network Vision, they may not be able to take advantage of future upgrades as part of NV2.

Sounds like LTE on 800 has been moved up quite a bit:

"On the same call, Sprint President of Network Operations Steve Elfman stated the company's plan to deploy LTE on 800MHz has been bumped up to the fourth quarter of this year"

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprint-Acknowledges-Network-Upgrades-Behind-Schedule-123059

I would suggest reading more of the site then. 800 LTE and Clearwire are talked about more than just a little here.

I need to lol. i just only found out the 800 LTE/CDMA will actually replace the old iDEN spectrum

They are. Network Vision 2.0 does not replace the current initiative. Any Sprint LTE device activated today should be data compatible for at least the next 5-10 years.

AJ

I could see 4G speeds in 10 years being insane and maybe the introduction of new technology xD

Anything beyond the current deployment is not classified as Network Vision, technically. that doesn't mean that once NV is done that Sprint is just going to sit on its hands again. That's the reason we are where we are now. Network Vision is just the beginning to get Sprint's network back to a viable status.

All new phones will be able to take advantage of Network Vision, they may not be able to take advantage of future upgrades as part of NV2.

Ahh thanks:D

Sounds like LTE on 800 has been moved up quite a bit:

"On the same call, Sprint President of Network Operations Steve Elfman stated the company's plan to deploy LTE on 800MHz has been bumped up to the fourth quarter of this year"

http://www.dslreport...Schedule-123059

Depends on how you look at it. Internally, they wanted to deploy 800 LTE 3rd quarter of this year, but publicly had only mentioned it as part of the 2014 plan. So internally, a step back, but publicly, a step forward. FWIW.

Actually even the EVO 3D will support data on 800smr. Think about it.

Looking forward to the 800smr rollout probably more than LTE itself!

Sent from my little Note2

Me too. 2 towers to cover a whole town needs 800SMR as much as Baton Rouge with the terrible site spacing you have. :|

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

I think the most important piece of the puzzle is getting 800 1x onair as soon as possible on SMR. That will address the roaming and coverage gaps that we face today. As for data, while it would be nice, I would prefer the channels be open for voice only, as they directly impact inbuilding coverage, where WIFI or another data offloading option is usually present.

• Like 1

Actually even the EVO 3D will support data on 800smr. Think about it.

Looking forward to the 800smr rollout probably more than LTE itself!

Sent from my little Note2

But the Motorola Photon lacked 800 ESMR support. I do believe that was the last phone that didn't support it, save possibly the iPhone 4/4S.

But the Motorola Photon lacked 800 ESMR support. I do believe that was the last phone that didn't support it, save possibly the iPhone 4/4S.

iPhone 4 and the 4S both support EV-DO Rev. A over 800Mhz and 1900Mhz. 5 supports Rev. B, but Sprint doesn't have that so sadly it goes to waste here.

iPhone 4 and the 4S both support EV-DO Rev. A over 800Mhz and 1900Mhz. 5 supports Rev. B, but Sprint doesn't have that so sadly it goes to waste here.

You and Apple are mixing and matching terminology. iPhone 4/4S support Cellular 850 MHz, which Apple ambiguously calls 800 MHz. But those generations of iPhone do not support SMR 800 MHz.

AJ

• Like 9

This has been covered so often, yet it comes up time and time again. The only iPhone that supports Sprint's SMR 800 MHz for CDMA1X/EV-DO is the CDMA2000 version of iPhone 5 (A1429). Not iPhone 4 nor iPhone 4S. However, I suppose that users are not really to blame for misinterpreting Apple's poor use of 800 MHz terminology.

Thankfully, Scott has long since included a section on this issue in our FAQ:

http://s4gru.com/ind...sked-questions/

AJ

• Like 3

One thing's for certain: my next Sprint phone will have SMR and BRS LTE support. If the S IV has it, I may upgrade. If not, I'll be holding off.

As far as whether you should hold off on getting a Sprint phone until SMR and BRS LTE are included, the answer is "probably not". The potential exception being if you're in an area with good WiMAX service and have a WiMAX phone. But maybe not even then...case in point: my jump from the Epic to the SIII.

I don't expect phones to support 800SMR LTE until summer or fall. And in the case of Apple, they won't put it in the iPhone this year as their won't be any 800 LTE network yet. As for Samsung and LG, they released phones before the network got off the ground, and HTC was right around the start of Network Vision with the EVO LTE. So figure this Fall and Winter since Sprint said that they will start building it out in the 4th quarter. Hopefully by then the Clearwire acquisition will have been completed.

Other than possibly a Windows Phone or Blackberry device, I'm holding off on any future Sprint devices until future band support.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

I don't expect phones to support 800SMR LTE until summer or fall. And in the case of Apple, they won't put it in the iPhone this year as their won't be any 800 LTE network yet.

I wouldn't be so unequivocal about that. Remember that the iPhone 5 already has LTE on the cellular band (band 5) and CDMA support for the ESMR band (which directly abuts the cellular band). Technically, it shouldn't be that difficult to extend the LTE coverage by 10Mhz more and cover ESMR as well (band 26, which covers both ESMR and cellular). In fact, radio, switch, and antenna technology has made decent strides in the past year and it's not inconceivable that Apple may be able to go back to producing a single-SKU device for North America when the iPhone 5S comes out, probably in October. At the very least, Verizon is going to require that Apple implement AWS support in their 5S which is going to necessitate a redesign of the radio in the iPhone. Given that, my bet is that apple is going to figure out some way of supporting both both AT&T and Verizon's 700 bands in one device. Last year that would have been exceedingly difficult to implement but nowadays it should be easier to overcome technically.

I wouldn't be so unequivocal about that. Remember that the iPhone 5 already has LTE on the cellular band (band 5) and CDMA support for the ESMR band (which directly abuts the cellular band). Technically, it shouldn't be that difficult to extend the LTE coverage by 10Mhz more and cover ESMR as well (band 26, which covers both ESMR and cellular). In fact, radio, switch, and antenna technology has made decent strides in the past year and it's not inconceivable that Apple may be able to go back to producing a single-SKU device for North America when the iPhone 5S comes out, probably in October. At the very least, Verizon is going to require that Apple implement AWS support in their 5S which is going to necessitate a redesign of the radio in the iPhone. Given that, my bet is that apple is going to figure out some way of supporting both both AT&T and Verizon's 700 bands in one device. Last year that would have been exceedingly difficult to implement but nowadays it should be easier to overcome technically.

Basing on how the 4S should have been more than capable of 800CDMA, Apple should have done it, but instead they based it on Sprint's current network, not on the future. By the time the 5 came out, Sprint had already been deploying 1900LTE and 800CDMA on SMR, hence they had to keep up their part of the contract and provide Sprint with devices that utilized both bands. Apple only bends to the carriers when it suits them, otherwise the carrier always has to bend to them.

You can make that assumption with just about any phone. But if you look at the past with Apple, they always follow one footstep behind the others in hardware. They've done it with everyone phone including the very original iphone, so I do not expect them to alter their practices. (This is not a bash on them so please do not start an Apple/Android/WP throw down)