Will any of the new phones coming out support 800mhz SMR data?

Going forward, Samsung wants to use its own processors. Qualcomm Snapdragon is a longshot. And software defined radio is one of the most over hyped technologies in recent memory. It does not mean software defined antennas and power amps.

AJ

It might not be a long shot for the Motorola X AOSP phone being announced at Google IO.

I give it a 40% chance that it has 800 LTE support.

highly unlikely the Moto X will be announced anytime soon. They acquired Moto last summer and the already 18 months of product profile. Even if they start doing the designs the day they were acquired by google, it's highly unlikely they'll go from the design board to the production lines in barely under a year.

Most likely the "X" phone will be a fall / holidays phone.

highly unlikely the Moto X will be announced anytime soon. They acquired Moto last summer and the already 18 months of product profile. Even if they start doing the designs the day they were acquired by google, it's highly unlikely they'll go from the design board to the production lines in barely under a year.

Most likely the "X" phone will be a fall / holidays phone.

Its being announced in May at Google IO.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nope. Google CFO already announced that Moto has 18 months of product in the pipeline when they acquired them back in August of 2012. You need at least 12-18 months to develop, test, and manufacture a new phone. The initial months were Google trimming the unneeded fat from Moto and streamlining operations. At best, they begun designing this "X" phone 2-3 months after the acquisition which puts it highly unlikely that it'll be announced at Google IO in May as that means they finished the design, tested it, and can manufacture it in approx 7-8 months. Not really possible.

Best possible case is that this mythical X phone will be out somewhere in the late summer and fall of next year.

i've been reading up on some of the new chip sets that phones may be getting and it all deppends on the release date its looking like snapdragon 600 (won't get lte adv support) but if in march they say that the s4 is getting the snapdragon 800 then then from what i was reading on the snapdragon website the chip will support all bands and it would be a "furture proof" chip set that only needs a software update to support a new band though that would also mean that we wouldn't see the gs4 till july when snapdragon plans on releasing 800 don't look for the new tegra series chip sets in the gs4 due to them not releasing them till 4th quarter this year

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800-600-400-200/specs

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-4-processor.html

That's not exactly how it works. Band support is more of a function of the front end RF components, transceiver, and modem. Granted, Qualcomm did announce a new front end solution (google "Qualcomm RF360") that should help with multi band LTE support but they have only just announced it. As for Nvidia's new soft modem, I don't recall them saying anything about CDMA support, plus, as WiWavelength said also, that's just one component, there are other complex components required which sit in front of the modem in order to support different bands. Single-SKU multiple band support is coming one day but the technology encompassing all of the different components in a device to make that happen has not matured enough yet to included in the current batch of new device launches. However, the technology is progressing quickly and a year from now it might be a different story.

Edited by GoWireless

Nope. Google CFO already announced that Moto has 18 months of product in the pipeline when they acquired them back in August of 2012. You need at least 12-18 months to develop, test, and manufacture a new phone. The initial months were Google trimming the unneeded fat from Moto and streamlining operations. At best, they begun designing this "X" phone 2-3 months after the acquisition which puts it highly unlikely that it'll be announced at Google IO in May as that means they finished the design, tested it, and can manufacture it in approx 7-8 months. Not really possible.

Best possible case is that this mythical X phone will be out somewhere in the late summer and fall of next year.

We'll see. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The Goog may have contracted with Motorola for the alleged "Motorola X" pre-merger. Of the high-end Android manufacturers in the US, Motorola is the only one never to build a Nexus phone.

That said Google I/O may be a bit soon for a new Nexus phone to come out. Something like a Nexus 7.7 tablet seems more likely for May.

International support is a secondary consideration for Sprint, certainly not nearly enough to merit such an unusual SIM arrangement (at least for an American carrier, and particularly a CDMA one).

That might change and quickly since Softbank has been in the picture for quite some time. Just because the merger was announced in October doesn't mean talks weren't going on in private for long before that. If I were sprint (and wanting the deal to go through), I'd be having R&D work on interopobility in the background to hit the ground running.

New article saying El Goog and Amazon are partnering with Sprint/Softbank. Could get interesting.

http://news.investors.com/technology/030513-646769-softbank-seen-launching-4g-mvno-strategy.htm

• 3 weeks later...

The galaxy s4 will ship with the snapdragon 600 chipset in the United States. Does that support the lte on the 800 MHz?

No, the chipset has effectively nothing to do with band/band class capability.

AJ