SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

You'll have to use it to decide how it is on "your" battery life. No issues on my end and I have it running all the time but that's only me. ;)

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So far it doesn't seem like it's effecting anything. ;)

• Like 1

So far it doesn't seem like it's effecting anything. ;)

That seems to be the norm.. I've been running it 24/7 longer than anyone, and I haven't noticed any impact at all.  There isn't anything intensive in the code that would draw heavily on the battery.  The least amount of resource usage has been one of my priorities from the beginning.  The signal data updates are already being processed by the phone, the app just shows the data when new information is available.  When the app is not in the foreground, it uses hardly any resources at all.

If you leave it running with the screen on all the time, you will see battery drain, but that's because your screen is on.. it is not directly related to the app.

-Mike

• Like 2

Don't forget the divested markets. PrimeCo in Chicago and Indiana wound up in the hands of USCC, who recently sold the spectrum (but not the network infrastructure) to Sprint. If their SID shows up there after January 31 (I don't think it would), then it would be Sprint's.

AT&T (in Houston), Sprint PCS (in Hawaii), and nTelos also picked up some pieces.

Yep, when going through the PrimeCo entries (as well as others that have become extinct), I found as many sources as I could to confirm the new provider for each SID. Hopefully the next update will correct most of the errors, but I am sure more will come along; there are well over 4000 entries in the database.

-Mike

• Like 2

Yep, when going through the PrimeCo entries (as well as others that have become extinct), I found as many sources as I could to confirm the new provider for each SID. Hopefully the next update will correct most of the errors, but I am sure more will come along; there are well over 4000 entries in the database.

-Mike

Man.. I'm going to be a balla' when the new version comes out! 

-Mike

Is this a public database your app accesses or is it your own collection?

Don't forget the divested markets. PrimeCo in Chicago and Indiana wound up in the hands of USCC, who recently sold the spectrum (but not the network infrastructure) to Sprint. If their SID shows up there after January 31 (I don't think it would), then it would be Sprint's.

AT&T (in Houston), Sprint PCS (in Hawaii), and nTelos also picked up some pieces.

Not entirely.  All of PrimeCo's markets were PCS A/B block 30 MHz licenses.  The spectrum cap at the time would not allow an incumbent to hold a Cellular A/B block 25 MHz license and full PCS A/B block 30 MHz license in the same metro -- 45 MHz total was the limit.  So, as part of the VZW formation merger, it had to sell or spin off those conflicting PrimeCo operations along with partitioned and disaggregated 20 MHz chunks of those PCS licenses.  But VZW kept the original PCS call signs and 10 MHz for itself.

AJ

Probably the wrong thread for this question, but I noticed it picking up an ehrpd signal while I was out earlier. Is that from one of the legacy sites?

Mike, have you had any luck adding in LG customization to your app?  I recently picked up a brand new Optimus G for $250, just to try something different for a time.  But I have been less impressed with the Optimus G than I thought I would be.  Seemingly, the dialer is the only way to access the engineering screens -- they do not stick in the app tray, and shortcuts do not work.  So, that means the CDMA1X engineering screen is inaccessible in call.  For that, build quality, and LTE signal reasons, I am likely to swap back to my HTC One sooner rather than later.  If you need an LG device for testing, I may be able to send you the Optimus G for a while.

AJ

• Like 1

Mike, have you had any luck adding in LG customization to your app?  I recently picked up a brand new Optimus G for $250, just to try something different for a time.  But I have been less impressed with the Optimus G than I thought I would be.  Seemingly, the dialer is the only way to access the engineering screens -- they do not stick in the app tray, and shortcuts do not work.  So, that means the CDMA1X engineering screen is inaccessible in call.  For that, build quality, and LTE signal reasons, I am likely to swap back to my HTC One sooner rather than later.  If you need an LG device for testing, I may be able to send you the Optimus G for a while.

AJ, I actually haven't tried anything device-specific other than for HTC or Samsung devices.  Based on the statistics I can get, an overwhelming majority of my users are on devices by those manufacturers.  I don't have complete numbers, but I would estimate it's over 80% for those two.  That's why I have been trying so hard to get some improvements for Samsung users.  I want to get the most amount of use out of the limited amount of time I can devote to app development.

But, I am certainly not going to turn down an offer to give a shot at development for a device if someone wants to loan me one!  Obviously there are others out there who don't have an S3 or a One.  I just can't make any promises regarding what bells and whistles I can get going.. and I definitely don't want to put anyone out.  Robert loaned me a Samsung that I have been attacking almost every single day for months, yet I have only made minimal progress so far.  But I won't quit until I know it's completely impossible.. :)

-Mike

• Like 1

Is this a public database your app accesses or is it your own collection?

Its my own collection that I put together using as many public sources that I could find.  Unfortunately, a lot of the data is old/wrong/duplicated/missing.. so I've been working on cleaning it up.  The database is packaged within the app, it doesn't do any remote queries.  Whenever I release a new version, it will include the latest database update.

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike, I noticed today that LG CDMA1X engineering and SignalCheck are oft out of sync by upwards of 10 dB.  And empirically speaking, the LG CDMA1X RSSI is the one that looks accurate.  See an example screenshot below:

20h3dg.png

LTE RSRP, on the other hand, is perfectly in sync between the two apps.  But something seems amiss with full LG compatibility.

AJ

Okay.. now I got a question.. I"m sure it's been asked someplace, but I just can't find it..  Is there any way for Signal Check Pro to generate a log of LTE connections, which will keep track of the serving cell, as well as other data which may be good to have when trying to figure out which cell you connect to?

Okay.. now I got a question.. I"m sure it's been asked someplace, but I just can't find it..  Is there any way for Signal Check Pro to generate a log of LTE connections, which will keep track of the serving cell, as well as other data which may be good to have when trying to figure out which cell you connect to?

Not currently, but a few have requested it and is something he has been working on.

see the first post for links to additional info;

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/&do=findComment&comment=94153

Not currently, but a few have requested it and is something he has been working on.

see the first post for links to additional info;

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/&do=findComment&comment=94153

There's always this

http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/to-do-list/

• Like 1

Is their a similar app for the iphone 5?

Apple does not allow apps on their App Store to access phone signal data, so you won't find anything there.  Supposedly there are a couple of utilities available through Cydia for jailbroken devices, but I don't know much about them.

I've considered an iPhone app, but its not anything I will have time to start working on anytime soon.  My loyal Android users deserve all my attention for now  :)

-Mike

• Like 8

Data logging is something I am actively working on... still working out the bugs though.  It will be the next major feature.

-Mike

Mike, I noticed today that LG CDMA1X engineering and SignalCheck are oft out of sync by upwards of 10 dB.  And empirically speaking, the LG CDMA1X RSSI is the one that looks accurate.  See an example screenshot below:

LTE RSRP, on the other hand, is perfectly in sync between the two apps.  But something seems amiss with full LG compatibility.

Ooooh that's not good.  Any other LG users seeing similar issues?  I just received one report of stale EVDO and LTE data not clearing off the screen when the connection is lost on an LG Viper, but that's the only other LG issue I've ever received.

AJ, I'm sending you a PM..

-Mike

Holy weirdness batman! Hey guys, take a look at this post on XDA and tell me what you think could be going on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44330131&postcount=28

Here is what he said in his OP in case you look and don't go to the actual full thread. It seems real crazy and I told him to grab this great app to try and get to the bottom of it...

/Quote

I know this doesn't sound possible hell I Dont believe it myself but I am in LittleRock Arkansas where Sprint has NO 4g, I'm up here at work bored so I flash the 1000 Verizon prl, I unlock my SIM card (don't think that mattered , I didn't put a SIM card in). I forced roaming on my phone and I about had a heart attack when the 4g showed in my notification bar!! I thought it may be wrong but I ran some speed test with and without it. The catch is I lost voice. How is this possible?

/EndQuote

Holy weirdness batman! Hey guys, take a look at this post on XDA and tell me what you think could be going on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44330131&postcount=28

Here is what he said in his OP in case you look and don't go to the actual full thread. It seems real crazy and I told him to grab this great app to try and get to the bottom of it...

/Quote

I know this doesn't sound possible hell I Dont believe it myself but I am in LittleRock Arkansas where Sprint has NO 4g, I'm up here at work bored so I flash the 1000 Verizon prl, I unlock my SIM card (don't think that mattered , I didn't put a SIM card in). I forced roaming on my phone and I about had a heart attack when the 4g showed in my notification bar!! I thought it may be wrong but I ran some speed test with and without it. The catch is I lost voice. How is this possible?

/EndQuote

The carrier name comes from the 1X connection.. he's on Verizon 1X and Sprint LTE.  Last I heard, there aren't any LTE roaming agreements yet, certainly not between the major carriers.

-Mike

• Like 1