SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Fantastic! I've been looking for something similar to this, on MIUI ROMs, other places, etc. I've got the free version installed on my very old Samsung Epic 4G with modem EC05. When I launch the app, it tells me I have the exact same signal strength for 1X and 3G all the time, everytime.

Others have pointed out that RIL implementations by various vendors may be to blame for certain anomalies. Do you think it's the same here?

Ugh! Some devices just like to buck the system. I haven't had any reports of this on an Epic (or any other device actually). It must be the way the RIL shows the data. PM me your email address and I will send you a troubleshooting APK, maybe I can figure it out.

-Mike

• Like 1

Yes, that is something I've been working on; maybe I can get it wrapped up for the update I hope to get out next week. Right now it only re-queries the geocoding server when the reported lat/long changes, but that's still a lot of queries.

Yes, the latest version (4.06) does. Even if you are on a custom PRL that changes your home provider, it should show the actual network you are connected to.

-Mike

Sweet, on both counts!  Thanks!  I showed your app to my friend that works for Ericsson as a tower tech and he was very impressed.  He said there was one piece of information he'd love to see in the app that helps him with troubleshooting.  I think it was the PER or something like that.

• Like 1

Am I crazy or is the ability to change preferences removed in the latest version of lite? I have Pro but was going to put lite on my wife's.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

Sweet, on both counts!  Thanks!  I showed your app to my friend that works for Ericsson as a tower tech and he was very impressed.  He said there was one piece of information he'd love to see in the app that helps him with troubleshooting.  I think it was the PER or something like that.

No problem, glad to do it!  Always flattered to hear when non-S4GRU folks in the industry actually think I did something useful.  Hmm.. PER.. maybe PN?  Or BER?  IBC maybe?

The PN is something I've been trying to dig out for months, it's available on the engineering screens but I haven't been able to find a way to pull it into the app.  I can think of a few people on here who would [attempt to] do cartwheels if I got that in the app.

BER is the bit error rate percentage on GSM devices; it's already in my app, but you won't see it if you're on a CDMA provider like Sprint.  Only GSM users, like AT&T/T-Mobile/international people would see it.

-Mike

• Like 1

Am I crazy or is the ability to change preferences removed in the latest version of lite? I have Pro but was going to put lite on my wife's.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

You're crazy. :)  Lite has never had preferences, just an annoying box that pesters you to upgrade when you click the option.  The code is not even in the APK.

-Mike

• Like 1

Hahaha. Well.... I wanted to put the signal strength on the status bar but I guess that's out the window.

The PN is something I've been trying to dig out for months, it's available on the engineering screens but I haven't been able to find a way to pull it into the app.  I can think of a few people on here who would [attempt to] do cartwheels if I got that in the app.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I don't do cartwheels...

AJ

Who's primeco comm? My tower went offline today and signal check said I was roaming in that network. It's strange because earlier that day in the same spot it said Metro PCS.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3™

http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-SignalCheck---Android-app-to-monitor-your-2G/3G/4G-LTE-signal-strengths&do=findComment&comment=176755

Who's primeco comm? My tower went offline today and signal check said I was roaming in that network. It's strange because earlier that day in the same spot it said Metro PCS.

VZW. The Verizon merger consolidated Bell Atlantic/NYNEX, AirTouch, GTE, and PrimeCo.

AJ

• Like 1

Hahaha. Well.... I wanted to put the signal strength on the status bar but I guess that's out the window.

Its just 2 bucks.  Buy the app for your wife.  I am sure Mike would appreciate your contribution.

• Like 2

Its just 2 bucks. Buy the app for your wife. I am sure Mike would appreciate your contribution.

She doesn't care that much. :rofl: Just was trying to show her something.

She doesn't care that much. :rofl: Just was trying to show her something.

I was going to ask if your wife really wants signal levels in her status bar, or if it was more for you.. haha!

I wonder if any women have installed this app.  Never thought about it until now, but S4GRU is pretty much a man cave.

-Mike

• Like 1

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I don't do cartwheels...

[insert cheesy 90's flick here]

AJ

I am beginning to think that you just sit in a dark room, surrounded by TV's playing constant YouTube clips, always looking for an excuse to share one...  :)

Somehow, that was the first time I've ever seen a moment of Space Jam.. despite being a sports junkie, somehow I don't think I missed much.

-Mike

• Like 1

Did digiblur pay you to post that?  I never heard of PrimeCo until a couple days ago, and now its in rap songs and trending on Twitter... something fishy is going on here...

Like AJ said, PrimeCo=Verizon now.  I have made a ton (literally, hundreds) of corrections to the provider database which will be included with the next app update, and this is one of them.

-Mike

• Like 1

I was going to ask if your wife really wants signal levels in her status bar, or if it was more for you.. haha!

I wonder if any women have installed this app. Never thought about it until now, but S4GRU is pretty much a man cave.

-Mike

There's a few rolling around here. Not many. There are a bunch of men that cry and whine like women though.

• Like 4

I wonder if any women have installed this app. Never thought about it until now, but S4GRU is pretty much a man cave.

-Mike

Yes we are out here! I love this app and being able to have the data signal in the status bar. Looking forward to the first time that 800 alert goes off.!

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM 10.1 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I wonder if any women have installed this app.  Never thought about it until now, but S4GRU is pretty much a man cave.

-Mike

My wife installed it last night.  This is how it went.  

I've been picking up 800 from a tower that is not anywhere near me.  Last night, the 800 alarm went off and when I looked down, I saw I was connecting to a closer tower.  Not the towers closes to me, but close enough to Increase my signal strength.

We normally roam, or have very little luck not dropping calls while sitting in the middle of our house.  Last night, after seeing the connection, I told my wife to look at her signal strength.  Blah, blah, it's not any better.  OK. call me.  So dead set on proving me wrong, she calls me from the couch, while I'm sitting in the chair 10 feet away.  The call didn't drop, no cutting in and out, the call worked perfectly.  

So, she says how did you know that would work, knowing I has something on my phone that was telling me.  I told her to go the play store and grab the app.  She pulled it down, installed it and opened it.  Then she looked at me and said " What does 1 times 800 mean?"  I said it means your phone works in the house now dear.  

• Like 9

My wife installed it last night. This is how it went.

I've been picking up 800 from a tower that is not anywhere near me. Last night, the 800 alarm went off and when I looked down, I saw I was connecting to a closer tower. Not the towers closes to me, but close enough to Increase my signal strength.

We normally roam, or have very little luck not dropping calls while sitting in the middle of our house. Last night, after seeing the connection, I told my wife to look at her signal strength. Blah, blah, it's not any better. OK. call me. So dead set on proving me wrong, she calls me from the couch, while I'm sitting in the chair 10 feet away. The call didn't drop, no cutting in and out, the call worked perfectly.

So, she says how did you know that would work, knowing I has something on my phone that was telling me. I told her to go the play store and grab the app. She pulled it down, installed it and opened it. Then she looked at me and said " What does 1 times 800 mean?" I said it means your phone works in the house now dear.

I love being right too when the wife just "knows" she is. I actually saw (and heard my alert which freaked me out!) 800 for the first time today, traveling in KC, MO. :)

This app just keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

uploadfromtaptalk1375561473337.jpg

• Like 2

I love being right too when the wife just "knows" she is. I actually saw (and heard my alert which freaked me out!) 800 for the first time today, traveling in KC, MO. :)

This app just keeps getting better and better.

That happened to me about a week ago.  My phone made a weird noise. I thought what the heck was that?  It was the first time I ever got 800.  

I would start getting 800 around 11 p.m. to midnight.  Then it would be gone in the morning.  The last few days, it's been earlier in the evening, so it looks like they are picking up the testing times.  I can't wait to be able to make calls all over my house.  I normally have to go outside, or upstairs to keep from dropping a call.

Did digiblur pay you to post that? I never heard of PrimeCo until a couple days ago, and now its in rap songs and trending on Twitter... something fishy is going on here...

Like AJ said, PrimeCo=Verizon now. I have made a ton (literally, hundreds) of corrections to the provider database which will be included with the next app update, and this is one of them.

-Mike

Think you need to check the year on that rap song ;)

• Like 1

Like AJ said, PrimeCo=Verizon now.  I have made a ton (literally, hundreds) of corrections to the provider database which will be included with the next app update, and this is one of them.

-Mike

Don't forget the divested markets. PrimeCo in Chicago and Indiana wound up in the hands of USCC, who recently sold the spectrum (but not the network infrastructure) to Sprint. If their SID shows up there after January 31 (I don't think it would), then it would be Sprint's.

AT&T (in Houston), Sprint PCS (in Hawaii), and nTelos also picked up some pieces.

Now that we have LTE firing up in our area I picked up the app. How is it on the battery?

You'll have to use it to decide how it is on "your" battery life. No issues on my end and I have it running all the time but that's only me. ;)

• Like 1