SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Glad you mentioned the BID.  When the NV upgrades began, some of the sites in my area got a new BID-a FIVE DIGIT ONE according to the LG debug screen.  From what I've determined, the first 4 digits are the same for a given tower but the fifth digit changes depending on the sector.

Is this really a new 5-digit BID (that your app and all the others DOESN'T display that 5th digit) or is that fifth digit generated from somewhere else?

I believe your area is a Samsung market like here in E Michigan. Sounds like you're seeing the same thing we are with the new NV base station IDs. The new IDs are 5 digits with sectors being (x), (x+1), (x+2).

Your logic is close but off a little bit with the first four digits belonging to the same tower. For example, there is a site in my area that is 31009, 31010 and 31011.

Is the SID NID number shown the EVDO network or the 1x network?

The big main SID + NID number combination for my area, San Francisco North Bay region, seems to be 4183 + 234. Can anyone say it thats represents the CDMA1x or the EVDO network? (I have a EVDO connection)  In the app its shown in the "top 1x signal area"  of the apps screen. Hope my question makes sense?

Is the SID NID number shown the EVDO network or the 1x network?

From an RF perspective, SID and NID affect only CDMA1X.  From a PRL perspective, though, they do have a tangential relationship to EV-DO.

AJ

With the new priority options set to high, I'm finding that some other applications are having a higher priority. Before the update signal check was always highest priority, and after uninstalling the update it goes back to bring the highest priority. Can this be fixed by chance?

I believe your area is a Samsung market like here in E Michigan. Sounds like you're seeing the same thing we are with the new NV base station IDs. The new IDs are 5 digits with sectors being (x), (x+1), (x+2).

Your logic is close but off a little bit with the first four digits belonging to the same tower. For example, there is a site in my area that is 31009, 31010 and 31011.

Yes, you are exactly correct.  And yes, I DID discover one site that has two DIFFERENT BID's on different sectors (not just the fifth digit).

I went to the phone's "radio data" screen and the hex number it showed for one of the sites was exactly what SIgnalcheck displayed (the first four digits).  I wonder where the phone's own debug screen is getting that fifth digit from?  Not only that, many of the sites north of me in Milwaukee KEPT their old 4-digit BID and also KEPT their old "quasi-location" coordinates which turn out to be about a mile from the tower in the center of that sector's coverage.  All of the new 5-digit BID sites transmit the EXACT coordinates of the tower itself on all three sectors.

With the new priority options set to high, I'm finding that some other applications are having a higher priority. Before the update signal check was always highest priority, and after uninstalling the update it goes back to bring the highest priority. Can this be fixed by chance?

That is odd.. the "High" priority setting uses nearly the same priority as the previous (non-configurable) versions did.. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a small update to try.

This is the first report I have had of this behavior. Anyone else out there seeing this issue?

-Mike

=/

Just taking a guess here.. looks like your SignalCheck icon shows dashes, are you having an issue with EV-DO info not showing up in the app? Or does that post you took a screenshot of mean something? Or is this in the wrong thread?

-Mike

Just taking a guess here.. looks like your SignalCheck icon shows dashes, are you having an issue with EV-DO info not showing up in the app? Or does that post you took a screenshot of mean something? Or is this in the wrong thread?

-Mike

Every now and then when I go into an app, the nav bar icon shows dashes. It does not show up until I go back into the signalcheck app. My EVDO works the entire time.  

What happened with my local NID numbering scheme? ...I seem to be able to tell that the main NID / my area now is 234, seems to represent generally/ approx San Francisco North Bay area.  Well, my early records (before updating** the phone:  Evio4G WiMax ) the phone was saying the NID was 9....hmm..

Now I dont see the 9 NID anymore. Makes me curious...what do you guys think happened?  

** I did two types of updates (the phone had been in a drawer for a year, and friend just recently gave it to me. I activated it on Ting)

a)  Updated the PRL from 60794 to 61098

B) Updated the Sprint/ HTC Android version fr 2.3.2 to 2.3.5

...did one of these two updates cause the NID change to occur?

..Any insights?

What happened with my local NID numbering scheme? ...I seem to be able to tell that the main NID / my area now is 234, seems to represent generally/ approx San Francisco North Bay area. Well, my early records (before updating** the phone: Evio4G WiMax ) the phone was saying the NID was 9....hmm..

Now I dont see the 9 NID anymore. Makes me curious...what do you guys think happened?

** I did two types of updates (the phone had been in a drawer for a year, and friend just recently gave it to me. I activated it on Ting)

a) Updated the PRL from 60794 to 61098

B) Updated the Sprint/ HTC Android version fr 2.3.2 to 2.3.5

...did one of these two updates cause the NID change to occur?

..Any insights?

Change it back! Hurry! You changed it for the entire area on all the phones. ;)

• Like 1

Was driving around yesterday and today and noticed while using the Signal Check Pro app on my Galaxy S3 the 4G LTE was on and had "(B41)" beside it.  Is this band 41?  I went into the LTE engineering menu and shows band 25 didn't start doing this until the yesterday.  Anyone else seen this, or knows what B41 means?  

Was driving around yesterday and today and noticed while using the Signal Check Pro app on my Galaxy S3 the 4G LTE was on and had "(B41)" beside it.  Is this band 41?  I went into the LTE engineering menu and shows band 25 didn't start doing this until the yesterday.  Anyone else seen this, or knows what B41 means?  

I was about to congratulate you for being the first person to report being on LTE Band 41, because that is what B41 is supposed to indicate in the app... but then I saw you are on a S3, so that's impossible. That's a new feature rolled out in the update this week.. clearly one that isn't working right.

Can you post a screenshot next time you see it? Any chance you noticed what MCC/MNC (the number in parenthesis next to the LTE carrier name) you saw at that time? 310120 is the normal Sprint LTE one, and really the only number you should see right now on an S3. Perhaps you hit a site that was broadcasting what we thought might be one of the Band 41 MCC/MNCs on Band 25. Or I messed up the app, which is more likely..  ;)

-Mike

• Like 1

Every now and then when I go into an app, the nav bar icon shows dashes. It does not show up until I go back into the signalcheck app. My EVDO works the entire time.  

It could be that your device is killing off the piece of SignalCheck that listens for signal strength changes.. that routine would be what updates the icon. By going back into the app, you're restarting that listener. Android handles memory management itself, and if it needs resources, it might see SignalCheck as a process that had been running in the background for a long time with no foreground activity, which makes it a reasonable candidate to be killed if necessary.

-Mike

It could be that your device is killing off the piece of SignalCheck that listens for signal strength changes.. that routine would be what updates the icon. By going back into the app, you're restarting that listener. Android handles memory management itself, and if it needs resources, it might see SignalCheck as a process that had been running in the background for a long time with no foreground activity, which makes it a reasonable candidate to be killed if necessary.

-Mike

I'm having a notification caching issue. I have audio alerts on, default, for 800 and LTE.

I drove through an area I knew had LTE and was there for about 10 minutes. During that time, I was left alone for once- no text, alerts, calls, notifications; I wasn't using it, so the screen was off the whole time. It was nice, and not a Sprint issue for once :) A few minutes later, I checked my phone just to see if I still had LTE and the alerts decided to work. Chimes went off 8 times in a row, thought I hit the LTE Jackpot lol :)

This issue may be effecting what you saw earlier of the missing signal bars. I've looked down several times and have seen no bars when it is very clearly connected to data.

Thanks!

Change it back! Hurry! You changed it for the entire area on all the phones. ;)

You're teasing me, lol. .  :unsure:   (Im OK with that!)  So you mean that this didn't happen because of me updating the phone, but I just was lucky to just catch a Sprint NID change due to "Sprint Vision".....at the very last minute?  .."enquiring mind want to learn.."

Can you post a screenshot next time you see it? Any chance you noticed what MCC/MNC (the number in parenthesis next to the LTE carrier name) you saw at that time? 310120 is the normal Sprint LTE one, and really the only number you should see right now on an S3. Perhaps you hit a site that was broadcasting what we thought might be one of the Band 41 MCC/MNCs on Band 25. Or I messed up the app, which is more likely..  ;)

-Mike

On the SignalCheck Pro app it shows "connected to LTE"  and shows Sprint (B41) 311490.  Where I live the LTE is still being deployed half of the city has it and the other half doesn't yet and I live right in the middle of town so some nights at home I get LTE some nights I don't until they finish up the work here.  1900 LTE is very good here, never drop an LTE signal on the side of town where it has been finished, also every tower I hit shows Sprint (B41) 311490.  MCC - MNC 310 - 120 <-------This is under the LTE Engineering menu...don't make fun of my crappy LTE signal I'm in the middle of the house with the tower I'm getting the LTE signal which is about 1.7 miles through hills and trees lol  :lol:

• Like 3

Mike, I meant to tell you in my post above thank you for the app you developed, BlueLineComputing rocks!  I use the app to track down the towers I'm connecting too and see if they have turned on LTE on the tower 2 blocks from me (patiently waiting).  I was looking at the "wish list" sure do hope you can get some more info for non-HTC devices, hopefully when the 4.3 update rolls out for the GS3 it will show more info.  Thanks Mike!

• Like 1

Any way to make the app work in landscape mode?

The Pro version can do it.. go into Preferences > General Settings > Enable Orientation Sensor.  Piece of cake :)

EDIT: Seriously, I got out-posted by 30 seconds?  In the middle of the night?  Haha...

-Mike

• Like 2