SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

My handset (GS4) doesn't accurately report Sprint's Band 25 PLMN ID (310120) to SignalCheck, so ironically the dropdown notification was more accurate for me for that connection before the 4.17 update, since it showed "Sprint" as the carrier for both connections, although I understand it was just repeating what it saw for 1X. Now that notification randomly switches between showing "Samsung" as my LTE carrier to showing no carrier name at all. The main screen shows "Carrier: Unknown (310000)." 

It's not that important now since I know the only sort of LTE connection the phone can have is to Sprint's Band 25, but that may change in the future once LTE roaming on PCS begins. Perhaps the reporting issue will be resolved in the upcoming 4.3 or 4.4 firmware update.

I actually did a lot of work on the MCC/MNC functions over the past couple of days; the code has been overhauled quite a bit. It is almost ready for testing, and as long as that goes smoothly, the next update will come soon. I'm well aware that this stuff is important for the tri-band devices and LTE roaming on the horizon.. if the device manufacturers would do everything consistently and follow the spec, this would all be easier! :)

-Mike

• Like 6

Mike...I just activated my G2 20 minutes ago and the SignalCheck app is having trouble retrieving the 1x and EVDO values of the device. Can you explain what is going on?

The G2 and Nexus 5 don't connect at all to 1X or EvDO when you're connected to LTE, so there's no values to retrieve. Switch off the LTE radio and you should get the CDMA values.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The G2 and Nexus 5 don't connect at all to 1X or EvDO when you're connected to LTE, so there's no values to retrieve. Switch off the LTE radio and you should get the CDMA values.

I don't have LTE near my house.  I just have 3G in my area.  I haven't been out in an area to test out LTE yet.  I even switched the Mobile Networks setting to CDMA only and it won't show the values.

Lack of SVDO & SVLTE shouldn't matter. My S4 lacks SVDO & I can still access 1x values when using 3G data. I'm not sure if I can view eHRPD values while in a call, however.

Lack of SVDO & SVLTE shouldn't matter. My S4 lacks SVDO & I can still access 1x values when using 3G data. I'm not sure if I can view eHRPD values while in a call, however.

The problem is on the GS4 there is SVLTE which allows signalcheck to display 1x and LTE values at the same time where as none of the new triband LTE phones have SVLTE capability. Therefore the triband LTE devices thus far cannot show both 1x and LTE values on signalcheck.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Mike...I just activated my G2 20 minutes ago and the SignalCheck app is having trouble retrieving the 1x and EVDO values of the device.  It does show it saying "Connected to eHRPD".   Can you explain what is going on? 

As a friendly reminder, please read back at least a page or two in a thread before asking a question.  It may have already been answered.  Yep, we addressed this one two days ago.  As Mike might say, "Here at S4GRU, we got some wicked 'smaht' kids."

AJ

• Like 1

As a friendly reminder, please read back at least a page or two in a thread before asking a question. It may have already been answered. Yep, we addressed this one two days ago. As Mike might say, "Here at S4GRU, we got some wicked 'smaht' kids."

AJ

I just figured out the issue and resolved it. I didnt have one option enabled in location settings.

I just figured out the issue and resolved it. I didnt have one option enabled in location settings.

Didn't have a chance to see your posts until now.. sorry. As I was I was reading, that was what I was guessing that was the issue.. mobile location services, correct?

Cellular/mobile location services need to be enabled on most phones in order for the app to properly receive the radio data. I am working on an automated warning prompt to detect if it's off to let users know about this.

-Mike

• Like 2

I believe it is because 1X and EV-DO both use the same CDMA radio. The radio is live, you just cannot always use more than one data path simultaneously. LTE radios are completely separate from 1X radios, so if a device is essentially shutting off one of them, there are no readings for my app (or anyone else's) to get.

-Mike

• Like 1

Didn't have a chance to see your posts until now.. sorry. As I was I was reading, that was what I was guessing that was the issue.. mobile location services, correct?

Cellular/mobile location services need to be enabled on most phones in order for the app to properly receive the radio data. I am working on an automated warning prompt to detect if it's off to let users know about this.

-Mike

Yes that was the issue and now it is fixed.  That is why I deleted my posts from earlier today since I have my answer in another thread.  I guess on my old Photon 4G phone I always had that option enabled so it didn't occur to me that this was the issue.  Thanks for all the great work.

• Like 1

On my HTC Evo 4G (Wimax) phone, the app shows me in the 1XRTT display area the sector. Im blessed with this since I have an HTC phone, right?  (1XRTT first group, then followed by EVDO grouping/ display) So no sector info from the EVDO radio...

But when I read the Change Log its says:

"Added option to display EV-DO sector ID (only for HTC devices at this time). (Pro)."

Makes me wonder which is correct? The change log or the app?

I believe it is because 1X and EV-DO both use the same CDMA radio. 

-Mike

No they don't.  They use the same TRANSMITTER (which is why you can't blab on the phone and exchange 3G data at the same time) but they use two different receivers.  I have an app on my phone known as Juice Defender that SHUTS OFF the EV-DO receiver most of the time and then turns it on once an hour for 5 minutes to let the assorted apps sync up.  This saves a LOAD of battery juice just like the name of the app alludes.

PS:  When Juice Defender shuts off the EV-DO receiver your app says no EV-DO!   ;)

• Like 1

I meant to address this the other day.  A non SVDO handset can remain attached to both CDMA1X and EV-DO simultaneously.  As part of its slot cycle index, the idle handset oscillates back and forth, reading signal metrics for both CDMA1X and EV-DO carrier channels.  My old Samsung flip phone demonstrated this to a T -- the carrier channel readout of its CDMA1X engineering screen would periodically flick over to the EV-DO carrier channel, then back to the CDMA1X carrier channel.

AJ

• Like 1

On my HTC Evo 4G (Wimax) phone, the app shows me in the 1XRTT display area the sector. Im blessed with this since I have an HTC phone, right? (1XRTT first group, then followed by EVDO grouping/ display) So no sector info from the EVDO radio...

But when I read the Change Log its says:

"Added option to display EV-DO sector ID (only for HTC devices at this time). (Pro)."

Makes me wonder which is correct? The change log or the app?

Not sure I understand what you are asking or what 1xRTT sector you are referring to. The changelog and the app are both correct -- HTC devices should show the EV-DO sector ID if you enable it in the preferences. Post a screenshot if that will help explain.

-Mike

Not sure I understand what you are asking or what 1xRTT sector you are referring to. The changelog and the app are both correct -- HTC devices should show the EV-DO sector ID if you enable it in the preferences. Post a screenshot if that will help explain.

-Mike

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what the app could do. You actually interpret potentially sectors for *both* the 1xrtt and the evdo network. But my particular htc phone only supports the site hint method ie exposing the 1xrtt sectors. Am I guessing correctly?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I noticed that on my G2, the reset data connection button doesn’t work. Stock ROM, newest version of signal check pro.

I think root permissions may be required to do this on API 17+ 

• Like 1

I noticed that on my G2, the reset data connection button doesn’t work. Stock ROM, newest version of signal check pro.

mrrogers1 is right. Google suddenly blocked access to airplane mode starting with Android 4.2, and that was the only method available for third-party developers to control the radio. I implemented an alternate method for rooted 4.2+ devices, but unrooted 4.2+ users are out of luck for now. The alternate method isn't completely reliable either, but without a 4.2+ device, it's been hard for me to test. I ordered a Nexus 5 last week, so hopefully it arrives soon and I can improve that.

Google hasn't responded to the flood of developers asking for access back, and quietly blocked future comments on the issue back in May, so unfortunately I don't expect it to ever change.

-Mike

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what the app could do. You actually interpret potentially sectors for *both* the 1xrtt and the evdo network. But my particular htc phone only supports the site hint method ie exposing the 1xrtt sectors. Am I guessing correctly?

You are confusing two different things -- the "Sector" and the "Sector ID". The Site Hint is an attempt to show which sector (1/2/3) of a particular 1X site you are connected to. The EV-DO Sector ID shows the full unique identifier specific to the site/sector you are connected to. It works on most recent HTC devices running stock software, but I can't confirm if the EVO 4G is one of them.

The EV-DO Sector ID is more similar to the LTE GCI (Global Cell ID, aka Serving Cell). Those values identify the specific site you are connected to, similar to how the SID/NID/BID refers to a 1X site. Technically, 1X sites are positively identified by their PN, but that metric can't be collected by SignalCheck.

-Mike

Mike,

I don't remember seeing TAC listed in the LTE section next to GCI before. What does it mean?

uploadfromtaptalk1384270069260.jpg

• Like 2

I don't remember seeing TAC listed in the LTE section next to GCI before. What does it mean?

That is the Tracking Area Code, similar to the Location Area Code for W-CDMA/GSM and the NID for CDMA1X.

I knew that TAC readout was available in the latest beta, but I had yet to see a screenshot.  Regardless, it is very cool that Mike was able to fish out TAC data.  I am curious how granular Sprint TACs will be.  I would not be surprised if they follow established NID boundaries.

AJ

• Like 2

That's because it wasn't there until the latest beta.. thanks for being the first to confirm that it works! :)  As AJ said, "Tracking Area Code".. it's another identifier that the app now displays if it is available. CQI (Channel Quality Indicator) will also appear, if it is valid. Which device and ROM are you on?

-Mike

• Like 2

Mike...

You will want to pay a visit to the LG G2 thread.  Band 41 has been sighted.  Screenshots, including SignalCheck, have been posted.

AJ

• Like 2

Mike...

You will want to pay a visit to the LG G2 thread.  Band 41 has been sighted.  Screenshots, including SignalCheck, have been posted.

Thanks AJ, just saw it myself! I am itching to restore what I had implemented previously, identifying Band 41 connections with that MCC-MNC along with the others spotted on the hotspots.. but some users have reported Band 25 connections (on non-triband devices) on those MCC-MNCs, so it is not 100% reliable at the moment. My guess is that those Band 25 connections were supposed to be on 310-120, but for some reason they weren't. I am hesitant to use that when I know some users will see false information.

-Mike