Network Vision/LTE Market - West Iowa/Nebraska Market (Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln)

TrentAllen

I think the HTC EVO 4G LTE has a horrible 4G antenna.  I was at lunch around 72nd and Dodge and my friend who has a GS3 was pulling down LTE no problem, while I wasn't even able to get a connection. :(

If you want you can set your phone to CDMA/LTE only mode. If you know or can get your MSL code you can dial ##3282#, choose edit, enter MSL, choose EVDO, then change the preferred mode from "CDMA HDR LTE only" to "CDMA LTE only". Then if you are in an area with a weak LTE signal it will still connect to it instead of staying on 3G. of course in this mode if there is no 4G around you will be on 1x instead of 3G so you will want to set it back once you are done testing.

Mapped out the newest 4G tower yesterday on my run. It appears as if it was installed on the top of Oakdale Elementary School, 98th and Center.

Welcome to the board.  Just a heads up, we generally don't discuss tower locations in this thread.  As a sponsor of this site you have access to all of the towers in Omaha here.  Not discussing specifics in the public form gives people who want access to more information an incentive to donate to the site and help keep it running. 

On another note, what is the average signal distance? I was unable to get the 4G when I was on 108th and Center. Didn't try going the other direction but that is pretty disappointing that it covers such a small area.

Most of the active towers in Omaha appear to be 2 to 3 miles.  That said, starting from this tower going West there a couple of closely spaced towers.  It is probable that this tower is merely designed as a capacity tower for traffic driving on Center.  It also broadcasts a significantly higher distance going East along Center, which again makes sense if you look at other tower placements. 

Welcome to the board.  Just a heads up, we generally don't discuss tower locations in this thread.  As a sponsor of this site you have access to all of the towers in Omaha here.  Not discussing specifics in the public form gives people who want access to more information an incentive to donate to the site and help keep it running. 

Most of the active towers in Omaha appear to be 2 to 3 miles.  That said, starting from this tower going West there a couple of closely spaced towers.  It is probable that this tower is merely designed as a capacity tower for traffic driving on center.  It also broadcasts a significantly higher distance going East along Center, which again makes sense if you look at other tower placements. 

Thanks for the welcome and I apologize for the disclosure. The 4G dropoff makes a lot more sense after viewing that map.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and I apologize for the disclosure. The 4G dropoff makes a lot more sense after viewing that map.

No worries.  Also keep an eye on that thread, when a new tower has been accepted (approved) the information is posted there. 

I know for a fact it has a bad antenna for lte. We knew this before it was on sell. Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

I wish I would have waited a month and bought a Galaxy SIII instead. :(  I think unless HTC wows me with their next phone, I will getting a Samsung from here on out.

• Like 1

I got a chance to test the tower on 84th and O street and was quite impressed. All the pings were about ~50 ms with about 20 down and between 5 and 10 up. Keep in mind though that was basically across the street in SCC's parking lot.

good plan.

I wish I would have waited a month and bought a Galaxy SIII instead. :(  I think unless HTC wows me with their next phone, I will getting a Samsung from here on out.

I wish I would have waited a month and bought a Galaxy SIII instead. :( I think unless HTC wows me with their next phone, I will getting a Samsung from here on out.

good plan.

The HTC ONE is a great phone, and does very well with LTE. Much better than the EVO.

Sent from my HTC ONE

• Like 1

HTC One is pretty flipping amazing in every way man, not joke! I am quite disappointing in the EVO LTE (wtf... LTE is the the name!!) as well, I had one, my wife has one, my parents and multiple people (let's just say I have s-off't 19 EVO LTE's) I know got one after I did, who knew LTE was actually going to make it to Omaha this year. Lol!  Well when it's "that time" (2yr mark) LTE should be pretty much covering us so they'll all upgrade to the next device OR get smoking deals on the HTC One and they'll love the phone AND the LTE.

Today was a very disappointing day for me because I was driving with the family and we crossed 90th and Dodge (headed east), my HTC One chimes (of course I was running Sensorly and SignalCheck Pro and expected to pick it up in that area) and I realize, wife's phone has NOTHING!  Then I put her phone in airplane mod, switch back, still nothing.... I have -90dBm LTE on my phone and her poor EVO LTE doesn't even see LTE at all.  I don't get it...  :cry:

• Like 1

HTC One is pretty flipping amazing in every way man, not joke! I am quite disappointing in the EVO LTE (wtf... LTE is the the name!!) as well, I had one, my wife has one, my parents and multiple people (let's just say I have s-off't 19 EVO LTE's) I know got one after I did, who knew LTE was actually going to make it to Omaha this year. Lol!  Well when it's "that time" (2yr mark) LTE should be pretty much covering us so they'll all upgrade to the next device OR get smoking deals on the HTC One and they'll love the phone AND the LTE.

Today was a very disappointing day for me because I was driving with the family and we crossed 90th and Dodge (headed east), my HTC One chimes (of course I was running Sensorly and SignalCheck Pro and expected to pick it up in that area) and I realize, wife's phone has NOTHING!  Then I put her phone in airplane mod, switch back, still nothing.... I have -90dBm LTE on my phone and her poor EVO LTE doesn't even see LTE at all.  I don't get it...  :cry:

I wonder if I could go to Sprint and try to trade my EVO out for a refurb S3.  I was able to swap out my Touch Pro for a Touch Pro 2 back in the day for a similar reason... ;)

Lots of rule changes (less latitude for in store agents to "fix" problems) since then but as they say, you can only be told no, no harm in asking. :)

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I wonder if I could go to Sprint and try to trade my EVO out for a refurb S3.  I was able to swap out my Touch Pro for a Touch Pro 2 back in the day for a similar reason... ;)

Let me know how that goes.  Because my EVO LTE sucks at picking up LTE coverage compared to my Wife's iPhone.  What phone on the market has the best antennaes (1X, 3G, & LTE) anyway?

Let me know how that goes.  Because my EVO LTE sucks at picking up LTE coverage compared to my Wife's iPhone.  What phone on the market has the best antennaes (1X, 3G, & LTE) anyway?

GS3, GS4, HTC One, and iPhone 5 would probably be the top ones. i was in branson, mo a few weeks ago and i had my EVO LTE, wife had her iPhone 5, and my brother in law and sister in law had their GS4's and we were in a fringe area and all of theirs picked up LTE right away. I had to put mine in CDMA/LTE only mode to pick it up.

GS3, GS4, HTC One, and iPhone 5 would probably be the top ones. i was in branson, mo a few weeks ago and i had my EVO LTE, wife had her iPhone 5, and my brother in law and sister in law had their GS4's and we were in a fringe area and all of theirs picked up LTE right away. I had to put mine in CDMA/LTE only mode to pick it up.

That is what I thought.  I'm just trying to decide if I should get one of those or wait a few months to get a phone that can pick up all three LTE frequencies.  Just not sure what I want to do.

That is what I thought.  I'm just trying to decide if I should get one of those or wait a few months to get a phone that can pick up all three LTE frequencies.  Just not sure what I want to do.

do you have an upgrade available now? if you do i would wait to see what tri-band phones get released this fall and go for one of those, with softbank at the helm now you just might get use out of it in the next two years. plus the more towers that come online in omaha over the next few months the less you will notice that the evo LTE sucks :) i know driving through kansas city on the way down i had no issues with my phone picking up LTE, it was just when i was in an area with only a few towers done and was on the fringe of those towers that i noticed it.

Honestly, once the network is more complete, the EVO LTE works perfectly well. A month or so after KC was launched, my EVO LTE was picking up LTE everywhere I went just fine. The problem right now is that pretty much everywhere you go if it's not right next to an active site, it's a fringe signal. When more sites are online, that won't be a problem.

So I would say stick it out and wait for a Tri-Band device.

Picked up lte on 72nd and sorensen, it only lasted a block or two but I mapped it. I tried running a speed test but I was driving and it didn't finish before it switched back to 3g, but it peaked at 10mb down when it was still on it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Picked up lte on 72nd and sorensen, it only lasted a block or two but I mapped it. I tried running a speed test but I was driving and it didn't finish before it switched back to 3g, but it peaked at 10mb down when it was still on it.

Don't worry so much about the speedtests. Once the novelty of LTE rubs off, all you should care about is a working network. If you have LTE, it will work. The only real reason for speedtest is to diagnose network problems. Otherwise, it's best to lay off the speedtests, as it just wastes network resources. 

Additionally, speeds on LTE are so signal dependent, that unless you're including an image of your LTE engineering screen, the speedtests aren't worth a whole lot.

But we do care about mapping, so keep that up!

Don't worry so much about the speedtests. Once the novelty of LTE rubs off, all you should care about is a working network. If you have LTE, it will work. The only real reason for speedtest is to diagnose network problems. Otherwise, it's best to lay off the speedtests, as it just wastes network resources.

Additionally, speeds on LTE are so signal dependent, that unless you're including an image of your LTE engineering screen, the speedtests aren't worth a whole lot.

But we do care about mapping, so keep that up!

I really just do the speed tests for the novelty effect lol

Dkoellerwx was spot on about running speed tests with the Speedtest.net app vs. Sensorly. I ran this gem at Quizno's (just north of NW 13th & W Adams St) just before 3:00 PM CST today:

dlDn1f3.png

I see your Lincoln speed test and raise you an Omaha one.  At Brazenhead for dinner tonight off of 78th and Dodge/Cass.

78th.jpg

• Like 1

I see your Lincoln speed test and raise you an Omaha one. At Brazenhead for dinner tonight off of 78th and Dodge/Cass.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 78th.jpg

Wow, I was just at the old Chicago next door a week ago and the Max I could get was 9mb down.