Network Vision/LTE Market - West Iowa/Nebraska Market (Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln)

TrentAllen

I'm surprised people in Omaha are responding here...as Omaha and Lincoln=Verizon Wireless *shudder*.

Think Omaha will ever get a T-Mobile license???  It's a shame that a city of almost 1 million can't have a market but rural areas in Iowa can.

Edited by 4starcashier

Think Omaha will ever get a T-Mobile license???  It's a shame that a city of almost 1 million can't have a market but rural areas in Iowa can.

I wouldn't expect it any time soon. They only have a few sites in Omaha that mainly cover the interstate. They may be protection sites to sit on spectrum. It would require a huge outlay to provide competitive coverage here.

I'm surprised people in Omaha are responding here...as Omaha and Lincoln=Verizon Wireless *shudder*.

Think Omaha will ever get a T-Mobile license??? It's a shame that a city of almost 1 million can't have a market but rural areas in Iowa can.

Haha, what's the shudder for? They have really good coverage throughout Nebraska.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Is T-Mobile really not licensed there?   A quick search on the FCC spectrum dashboard shows them having PCS and AWS licenses there.

• Like 1

For those who dont know we has a site in sw Lincoln go lte live

Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

Actually 2 sites but if anyone wants to get a better vantage point on the progress in Omaha and Lincoln, become a sponsor and join us.  There is LOTS of work going on in our markets. I actually spoke to not 1, but 2 "crews" at two different sites today as I was just driving by to see if anything was going on. :)

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

OM03XC013_48thChicago.2.jpg

• Like 2

Actually 2 sites but if anyone wants to get a better vantage point on the progress in Omaha and Lincoln, become a sponsor and join us.  There is LOTS of work going on in our markets. I actually spoke to not 1, but 2 "crews" at two different sites today as I was just driving by to see if anything was going on. :)

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

OM03XC013_48thChicago.2.jpg

Do you work for the site?

I don't know what i can say, i donated 10 bucks to something that i'm interested in. I don't think theres anything secret about it other than maybe, that its a way to monetize the site. I ain't gonna argue man, we're getting LTE and i'd rather just be happy about that :)

• Like 2

maxpower1, on 01 Oct 2013 - 7:20 PM, said:

Do you work for the site?

Nope BUT I contribute (not just take up space or lurk) monetarily and by supplying info on our markets progress. We all should "work" for the site to make it better and if you aren't taking time out to actually look at towers and do all that (it's time consuming and fuel does cost) the least one could do to see the "nitty gritty" details and fruit of that labor, is donate just a little something to help "keep the lights on". It doesn't take much and I know that this place brings a whole lot of value.

gigatigga, on 01 Oct 2013 - 7:31 PM, said:

I don't know what i can say, i donated 10 bucks to something that i'm interested in. I don't think theres anything secret about it other than maybe, that its a way to monetize the site. I ain't gonna argue man, we're getting LTE and i'd rather just be happy about that :)

Yup, it's getting good, real good. I located a couple more sites in progress (have all hardware in place) just today.

maxpower1, on 01 Oct 2013 - 7:51 PM, said:

So are we not allowed to discus publicly available information on this site?

You can discuss any publicly available information that you want, but the info in the sponsor areas isn't publicly available and if you can find it, more power to ya.
  • Like 1

Is T-Mobile really not licensed there?   A quick search on the FCC spectrum dashboard shows them having PCS and AWS licenses there.

I have written enough about Omaha in the past, so I will just poach one of my own posts:

Back to the sell off of Des Moines, I hope that something similar may happen in Omaha.  T-Mobile operates only a skeleton, license protection network in the market.  No local stores, no local numbers.  T-Mobile users do exist, but they are just passing through or have moved to Omaha and maintained their previous numbers homed to other market MSCs.  Divest it to Viaero, which will then have coverage throughout almost the entire state of Nebraska.  And that may insulate Viaero against an almost inevitable acquisition by AT&T.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4333-atts-conquest-continues-with-long-lines-wireless/?p=177387

And here is another somewhat relevant post (from earlier in this very thread):

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2495-network-visionlte-market-west-iowanebraska-market-omahacouncil-bluffslincoln/?p=164626

AJ

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All, 

New to the group.  I have been with Verizon for ages but getting tired of their practices.  I really want a nexus 5 and with a discount I can get through my employer I can save a lot of money from what I am paying VZW right now.  The one thing that concerns me with Sprint is coverage.  At this point do you think the upgrades have come along far enough to make the jump?  I really would love to dump VZW.  

Thanks 

Chris

Hi All, 

New to the group.  I have been with Verizon for ages but getting tired of their practices.  I really want a nexus 5 and with a discount I can get through my employer I can save a lot of money from what I am paying VZW right now.  The one thing that concerns me with Sprint is coverage.  At this point do you think the upgrades have come along far enough to make the jump?  I really would love to dump VZW.  

Thanks 

Chris

i'm not from omaha but am helping with the spreadsheet and map we are doing to track progress in IA and NE. So others can chime in but here is my 2 cents.

i would say at this moment in time, no i would not make the jump. They are hauling a$$ with installing the new equipment on the towers but everything is just sitting there not being used until samsung decides to send acceptances crews through the area and turn on all the new equipment. We don't know when that will happen, but our best guess would be sometime in the next 3 months.

so your options are to switch now and deal with a roller coaster network, meaning data speeds going from unusable to very usable depending on where you are and watch it get better over the next few months. Or wait until they get further along with the upgrades and switch when its better overall. i've never had a problem with voice/calls on sprint, its just the data speeds that suck.

if you want to become a sponsor of this site you will get access to the sponsor section which is where we are tracking all of the updates, that will give you a lot more info and a much better idea of where things are and where they are heading :)

• Like 5

i'm not from omaha but am helping with the spreadsheet and map we are doing to track progress in IA and NE. So others can chime in but here is my 2 cents.

i would say at this moment in time, no i would not make the jump. They are hauling a$$ with installing the new equipment on the towers but everything is just sitting there not being used until samsung decides to send acceptances crews through the area and turn on all the new equipment. We don't know when that will happen, but our best guess would be sometime in the next 3 months.

so your options are to switch now and deal with a roller coaster network, meaning data speeds going from unusable to very usable depending on where you are and watch it get better over the next few months. Or wait until they get further along with the upgrades and switch when its better overall. i've never had a problem with voice/calls on sprint, its just the data speeds that suck.

if you want to become a sponsor of this site you will get access to the sponsor section which is where we are tracking all of the updates, that will give you a lot more info and a much better idea of where things are and where they are heading :)

Thanks for the info.  Data is actually not my biggest concern for the moment as I have Wi-Fi coverage at home and at work.  Just need reliable voice and text as my wife is expecting a baby in December.  I am just really tired of VZW and the nexus7 and nexus 5 situations pushed me over the edge.  In fact I use an iPhone right now on VZW because it's the only phone they can't ruin right now.

And I did chip in to sponsor.  Going to start looking at the data now.  Thanks again!

Chris 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  Data is actually not my biggest concern for the moment as I have Wi-Fi coverage at home and at work.  Just need reliable voice and text as my wife is expecting a baby in December.  I am just really tired of VZW and the nexus7 and nexus 5 situations pushed me over the edge.  In fact I use an iPhone right now on VZW because it's the only phone they can't ruin right now.

And I did chip in to sponsor.  Going to start looking at the data now.  Thanks again!

Chris

If voice is your main concern, I would say now would be a fine time to make the jump. Sprint will be activating 1x voice on 800MHz very soon, if not already in places. That will allow their voice coverage to expand quite a bit beyond what it already is. And within the next 3 months, as stated above, LTE should be switched on and pretty widespread as well.

• Like 2

Chris 

First of all welcome. Secondly sorry for the slow response. I saw this yesterday, but was in Lincoln at the game and spent the rest of the evening "recovering." I think the other guys gave you pretty solid advice. If voice is the primary concern, Sprint already has a pretty good voice network in Omaha. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a dropped call. I'll only roam on voice deep inside certain buildings and have always found I typically will have a good enough signal in those instances as well. This will be helped by 1X800 which Dkoellerwx alludes to, which will give Sprint a tremendous voice network. Verizon still has Sprint firmly beat in Omaha for data services, but we'll see how that changes over the coming months/years. 

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. I saw you lurking on the sponsor map thread last night and obviously that is an awsome resource to know where Sprint sites/towers are located and what phase they are at for Network Vision (Sprint's 4G transition program).

• Like 2

First of all welcome. Secondly sorry for the slow response. I saw this yesterday, but was in Lincoln at the game and spent the rest of the evening "recovering." I think the other guys gave you pretty solid advice. If voice is the primary concern, Sprint already has a pretty good voice network in Omaha. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a dropped call. I'll only roam on voice deep inside certain buildings and have always found I typically will have a good enough signal in those instances as well. This will be helped by 1X800 which Dkoellerwx alludes to, which will give Sprint a tremendous voice network. Verizon still has Sprint firmly beat in Omaha for data services, but we'll see how that changes over the coming months/years. 

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. I saw you lurking on the sponsor map thread last night and obviously that is an awsome resource to know where Sprint sites/towers are located and what phase they are at for Network Vision (Sprint's 4G transition program).

Thanks for the welcome.  Good to hear that the voice network quality is good.  Like I said, both my wife and I have access to wi-fi at work and home, and that is where we spend most of our time.  Actually right now on VZW we average just over 1GB of data total between the two of us a month.  Their data quality is excellent, I just can't continue to support their business practices with my money.  I have followed Sprint for a while and it seems they are finally getting their act together and are serious about getting their network up to snuff.  Softbank did not dump all the money into Sprint to lose it, so I think everything is looking up and I hope it continues trending that way. 

The maps and resources in the sponsor area are a great resource.  My thanks to everybody's hard work for putting that info together.  

BTW...what a game yesterday.  I was supposed to go but got tied up.  That to be great being there.  

Chris

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on omaha? I've been losing signal more often in North omaha (north of dodge and east of 72nd).

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

They've been doing NV related work in that area recently that probably contributed to your issues.

There is great news for Lincoln on the sponsor side of the site.

They've been doing NV related work in that area recently that probably contributed to your issues.

There is great news for Lincoln on the sponsor side of the site.

Any reason as to why lincoln would be done first and not omaha? Lincoln is half the size. Just curious.

Any reason as to why lincoln would be done first and not omaha? Lincoln is half the size. Just curious.

why is the sky blue? the grass green? some things are just the way they are because thats the way they are.