Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

And what exactly would that switch do ?

No- simply do this- "For iphone users- if you want to map LTE you need to check the option "disable 3G mapping" and Sensorly will only report results with the following parameters: GPS is ON, WIFI is OFF, speed is ABOVE the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE speed 3G is capable of. ONLY then will your mapping results will contribute to our networking mapping for LTE."

What does speed have to do with actual signal? You could have a crowded sector but yet have excellent signal.

Sensorly works great on android and is a huge asset. Why screw up the data because of Apple's Nazi ways?

I vote no.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 3

What does speed have to do with actual signal? You could have a crowded sector but yet have excellent signal.

Sensorly works great on android and is a huge asset. Why screw up the data because of Apple's Nazi ways?

I vote no.

What? I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. Let me explain:

1. This will be an option, and a condition, added to the app that only applies to the iPhone app. This does not affect data gathering as it stands right now on the Android platform in any way.

2. This does not change, alter or lessen the quality of the data currently being collected. Again, like #1 above, this does not affect anyone currently.

3. This would ADD the ability for iphone users to contribute data. The only data that they would be able to contribute is network information on speed tests collected on LTE networks where the speeds are ABOVE what 3g is capable of. Because Sensorly can detect whether or not a test has been performed on a wifi network, and the iphone does not operate on WiMax, if a speed test reports back a speed that is greater than what 3g is capable of, the only possibility is that it came from an LTE network if this test is performed on Sprint.

If the test is LTE but not faster than 3g- the data is not reported. It is ignored on Sensorly's end. This means that no inaccurate data is collected. The benefit for Sensorly is more data collected because now iPhone users can contribute.

And BTW- "Nazi ways" compares the death of millions of Jewish men, women and children to the actions of a software company that you do not agree with. Not appropriate here, or anywhere actually.

And whats the maximum possible 3G? youre looking to much into this buddy. Just take it for what it is and be happy with it. I for one dont rely on sensorly to tell me exactly what signal strength I'm going to have in an area. To many variables to rely on something like that.

And whats the maximum possible 3G? youre looking to much into this buddy. Just take it for what it is and be happy with it. I for one dont rely on sensorly to tell me exactly what signal strength I'm going to have in an area. To many variables to rely on something like that.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1869-fastest-3g-speeds-ever-seen/

So set the threshold in this small update to the iphone app to be above the highest seen here. And as I stated earlier, set Android results to "knock out" iphone results if there is a newer slower speed.

And you don't have to use it. This is just a way to get iphone users the ability to contribute.

Nope, Nazi ways fits perfect for me with the several graphics I have seen people do of it. I see the relation and you see something else which is perfectly fine.

And this would be just for speedtests? Sheesh. Double vote of no for me. Speedtests are an absolute waste of bandwidth 99% of time. They are only useful to the folks who have to measure their "size" with their buddy in the locker room.

Maybe you should start your own app that would rely on inaccurate data as what you are suggesting.

If you want to contribute then obtain a device that allows that or just wait for your fellow market mappers to map the area for you.

• Like 1

http://s4gru.com/ind...eeds-ever-seen/

So set the threshold in this small update to the iphone app to be above the highest seen here. And as I stated earlier, set Android results to "knock out" iphone results if there is a newer slower speed.

And you don't have to use it. This is just a way to get iphone users the ability to contribute.

For one, I'll need to confirm this but I'm sure a speed tests by Sensorly and the newly updated Speedtest app read tests differently. In fact, I nearly 100% guarantee it just for the fact that prior to the new Speedtest app update, speed recordings were just fine. Now the whole contributing thing for mapping data, thats what you should be inquiring on. Maybe Mr. Sensorly can answer why iPhones arent able to map. Personally I never asked since I've never needed to know. But changing the whole structure of sensorly just to do if ands or buts on data strength is not really a thing to take up. IMHO

For one, I'll need to confirm this but I'm sure a speed tests by Sensorly and the newly updated Speedtest app read tests differently. In fact, I nearly 100% guarantee it just for the fact that prior to the new Speedtest app update, speed recordings were just fine. Now the whole contributing thing for mapping data, thats what you should be inquiring on. Maybe Mr. Sensorly can answer why iPhones arent able to map. Personally I never asked since I've never needed to know. But changing the whole structure of sensorly just to do if ands or buts on data strength is not really a thing to take up. IMHO

I am just talking about the ability to contribute to the maps. That is all this feature is intended to address. It would actually be extremely simple to implement. Just a matter of an acknowledgement that the iphone mapping results reported must be above a certain threshold to show up and a screening of results based on that speed level and the device sending them on Sensorly's end. iPhone users cannot contribute to maps. This would change that for LTE networks which is the most important part of sensorly right now. In fact, the only reason I even have sensorly installed is o I can see the LTE network on Sprint spread out.

Can't there be away with jailbroken iPhones?

I think so, however- if Sensorly caters to the jailbroken crowd they might not be allowed on the app store. My solution is a work around due to the fact that there is no reporting of the network type by the iOS operating system.

Nope, Nazi ways fits perfect for me with the several graphics I have seen people do of it. I see the relation and you see something else which is perfectly fine.

And this would be just for speedtests? Sheesh. Double vote of no for me. Speedtests are an absolute waste of bandwidth 99% of time. They are only useful to the folks who have to measure their "size" with their buddy in the locker room.

Maybe you should start your own app that would rely on inaccurate data as what you are suggesting.

If you want to contribute then obtain a device that allows that or just wait for your fellow market mappers to map the area for you.

You sir are an idiot. I hope your title does not mean you are a backbone to this site.

You sir are an idiot. I hope your title does not mean you are a backbone to this site.

Watch what you say. You might reveal yourself to be an "idiot."

Long story short, if contributing to Sensorly and/or other crowd sourced data is important to you, do not use an iPhone. Apple is making choices regarding data gathering reportedly to protect you. If you disagree with those choices, blame Apple, not the messenger who points out those limitations.

AJ

Interesting comment coming from someone trying to use an Iphone to map via Sensorly.

Watch what you say. You might reveal yourself to be an "idiot."

Long story short, if contributing to Sensorly and/or other crowd sourced data is important to you, do not use an iPhone. Apple is making choices regarding data gathering reportedly to protect you. If you disagree with those choices, blame Apple, not the messenger who points out those limitations.

AJ

I just proposed a solution to this problem so that iphone users could use sensorly to map LTE signals...

And we explained the solution would not work.

You can not determine the signal on the Iphone due to the poor business decisions of the creator of your device.

Anyone else using an iPad for Sprint? It amazes me how much more powerful the antennae for the iPad mini is, versus the antennae in the iPhone 5. In Irvine I seem to hold on to a workable LTE signal on the iPad mini, more so than the iPhone. It's great! Until I realize that my data plan on the iPad is finite ;( But all in all happy to see Sprint working on the Network here.

So any new LTE signals out there today?

I was on Balboa Penninsula for easter and had LTE on my iPhone 5 (obvi no mapping :P ). Cross streets were Balboa blvd and 21st, near the Newport pier. Too bad I lost LTE signal on the sand, I could get used to streaming games vegging out by the water this summer.

Any idea on the spec showing on the triangle (Newport blvd & Harbor) in Costa Mesa? A light spec popped up a while back and no action since. I have yet to see any LTE in that area, which I check frequently.... What gives?

The last week has been awesome though, I started getting LTE on a lot of the 55 as well, hope they keep it coming!

Edited by Spiphone

I was on Balboa Penninsula for easter and had LTE on my iPhone 5 (obvi no mapping :P ). Cross streets were Balboa blvd and 21st, near the Newport pier. Too bad I lost LTE signal on the sand, I could get used to streaming games vegging out by the water this summer.

Any idea on the spec showing on the triangle (Newport blvd & Harbor) in Costa Mesa? A light spec popped up a while back and no action since. I have yet to see any LTE in that area, which I check frequently.... What gives?

The last week has been awesome though, I started getting LTE on a lot of the 55 as well, hope they keep it coming!

I'm in that area and keep waiting. Last week they just turned on all these towers one day I think and maybe they will again this week

The whole past week I had LTE connection by work in Bristol and sunflower. The only problem that I had it was losing connection indoors but as soon as I go out I receive a strong and stable connection. Is that supposed to happen or I have an issue with my phone?

Anyone else using an iPad for Sprint? It amazes me how much more powerful the antennae for the iPad mini is, versus the antennae in the iPhone 5. In Irvine I seem to hold on to a workable LTE signal on the iPad mini, more so than the iPhone. It's great! Until I realize that my data plan on the iPad is finite ;( But all in all happy to see Sprint working on the Network here.

We just had a user near me change from an Iphone5 to a Note2 and he states he has coverage in more places now so probably the Note2 RF abilities are close to the iPad.

No data on at work. 3G icon is on but bars are white, meaning that I'm not connected to google servers (Blue bars) . Its been like this for almost 2 hours. Im located in Costa Mesa border line of Fountain Valley.