Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

Costa Mesa has LTE in areas. Tried hunting down which tower but failed by wanting to go drink so ill find out what tower it was from today. It's around irvine blvd or the 55 some where. I'll check the maps again as well. Man I'm hungover this morning

• Like 1

I need some LTE in Santa Ana, near the Main Place Mall. Anyone have any info when that area will light up?

I was in an all day meeting in my office on the corner of La Veta and Main in Orange by Main Place Mall. LTE showed up on my iphone and I got super excited, I snuck a speedtest and got "no internet connection"! Throughout the day my phone switched from LTE to 3G to that little circle which means I have no service. My few speed tests ranged from .00 mpbs to a one time high of .69 mpbs :-/ My average was only around .2. My Sprint service have been extra awful the last couple months. I spent the weekend in Long Beach and mostly got no 3G internet! I'm not feeling too hopeful.

Woke up in aliso viejo @ the top of hill next to the ups building with 4g, ran a speed test and Numbers where good but is was slow in reaction unlike WiFi.did a location test and was coming from ladera ranch.

That's across the valley from me.looks like I got line of site with my one bar LTE.mapped it on sensory.

Its over 6 miles

Yeah I am pretty sure I also hit LTE there yesterday. It does have NV equipment.

I drove around and mapped a bunch of that site this morning. I appears to have come on and stayed on. Hopefully it gets marked as accepted soon.

Sensorly shows a nice dark purple shaded area on Katella Avenue just East of the Santa Ana River and before Main Street. If that stays live that will be well within range of picking up decent to solid LTE around the Big A.

Sensorly shows a nice dark purple shaded area on Katella Avenue just East of the Santa Ana River and before Main Street. If that stays live that will be well within range of picking up decent to solid LTE around the Big A.

I bet thats a tower in testing

Sensorly- why can't the iphone app simply label any speed tests above what 3G is capable of for the carrier selected as being LTE if the carrier is Sprint? Sprint only does 3G and LTE, the iPhone does not support WiMax, and you could Further screen results by overall market area- if someone is testing within a known market area "pioneered" by an "official" test with an android device, then it would likely be legit for LTE. Further, iphone tests could be secondary to android tests- if an android test later comes up blank or shows a weaker signal- cancel out the iphone testing- who cares?

This is all pending the idea that whether the phone is connected to wifi IS something you have access to...

Here is the speed I am getting:

post-9739-0-07653300-1364838645_thumb.jpg

For some reason it did not do well on the download- no idea. It's incredibly fast.

My bro in law has same issue. Its your iPhone. Sitting in same room playing black ops and doing speeds tests yielded weird results. I'm pulling 12mbps on my EVO and hes showing 3.2mbps max on his iPhone 5, yet web page downloads were super quick compared to what the app was suggesting. So we figured its just the new app update that you all just received.

That was me on Saturday night, but that area didn't have a very strong signal (-105db in the lte engineering screen). Sensorly shows it as being much better coverage than I had.

It assumed it was coming from the site over near Ball and State College, but I didn't have time to investigate.

p.s. I love it when my wife drives, cause I can look at the debug screen the whole time

• Like 2

Sensorly- why can't the iphone app simply label any speed tests above what 3G is capable of for the carrier selected as being LTE if the carrier is Sprint? Sprint only does 3G and LTE, the iPhone does not support WiMax, and you could Further screen results by overall market area- if someone is testing within a known market area "pioneered" by an "official" test with an android device, then it would likely be legit for LTE. Further, iphone tests could be secondary to android tests- if an android test later comes up blank or shows a weaker signal- cancel out the iphone testing- who cares?

This is all pending the idea that whether the phone is connected to wifi IS something you have access to...

Yes we have cell vs wifi. The thing is, some LTE tests are slow and we don't want to miscategorize those.

Yes we have cell vs wifi. The thing is, some LTE tests are slow and we don't want to miscategorize those.

So? Let's say you exclude all tests from iPhones that are slower than maximum 3g speeds from being labeled as LTE and label them as 3g- what harm would that do? Anywhere there is LTE there is 3g.

Or- for those of us who really want to provide you with data, give us the option- "do not report tests below maximum 3g speed" and let us check that- so the Sensorly app only reports those tests that are above what 3g could be capable of carrying, that are not WIFI- BAM! The problem concerning the iPhone not being able to report LTE signals for mapping is solved- and you get a lot more data for your maps.

As long as you know that the result you are getting is not coming from a WIFI signal this problem can be solved.

So? Let's say you exclude all tests from iPhones that are slower than maximum 3g speeds and label them as 3g- what har would that do? Anywhere there is LTE there is 3g.

We'd mischaracterized 3G speeds and report them as higher than they really are. Lots of people still don't have 4G phones and that would provide them with false info.

Or- for those of us who really want to provide you with data, give us the option- "do not report tests below maximum 3g speed" and let us check that- so we only report those tests that are above what 3g could be capable of carrying, that are not WIFI- BAM! The problem concerning the iPhone not being able to report LTE signals for mapping is solved- and you get a lot mroe data for your maps.

Perhaps, we would just ask you what type of network the phone is connected to, that would be even easier.

We'd mischaracterized 3G speeds and report them as higher than they really are. Lots of people still don't have 4G phones and that would provide them with false info.

Perhaps, we would just ask you what type of network the phone is connected to, that would be even easier.

No- simply do this- "For iphone users- if you want to map LTE you need to check the option "disable 3G mapping" and Sensorly will only report results with the following parameters: GPS is ON, WIFI is OFF, speed is ABOVE the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE speed 3G is capable of. ONLY then will your mapping results will contribute to our networking mapping for LTE."

I think all of that would be a mess. We should never rely on the user to report data, it should all come from the phone hardware with no user intervention.

Exactly- and there is a way to do this.