Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

'blur,

I'm with tgrgrd00. Thank you for all you do here. You're most informative for us "noobs" who aren't as technically inclined when it comes to all this frequency/band/backhaul stuff. I hope I speak for many here when I say "I appreciate it!". I'm just glad I can make my small offerings of pics and engineering screen caps from time to time.

-Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you. Your ground work on the north shore is much appreciated!

And messing with you here.. You are slacking... I think there are two sites waiting on you to map/confirm them. ;)

I hope to have this problem soon, haven't seen any new RRU work lately around here and we still have 3 sites waiting to be fired up. Guessing they didn't pass inspections since they were the first ones here.

Sent from my little Note2

Thanks for the kind words as it makes it all worth it. I do find myself spending too much time here sometimes, hopefully I don't annoy too many people with the constant posting ;)

We will see how the 800SMR "retention" does its thing. Still holding out hope that they might take a hard look towards the end of NV here since we are delayed several months anyways, hard look at the Nextel only sites and hopefully put some CDMA on them as NOLA got a bit of Synergy upgrades but BR was scheduled for a few along some new sites but it got scrapped when the capex for network upgrades was killed.

Hell even if they only did one site I'd be 100 times happier.. it probably wouldn't cover my house much if they added this but I do go to this area quite a bit and pass through it everyday, dropped calls a lot on the EVO LTE here, the Note2 does much better here though. Picture is a thousand words... and FYI this a MAJOR traffic area due to people in Livingston parish (but I'm sure they have AT&T if they live there). I'm sure Sprint still racks up a good bit of roaming from this area though but probably not enough to pay for a site due to the customer base here. But you have to start somewhere on turning that stigma around to get customers.

Really wish Sprint would have let me work with their engineering dept during RF design!

ROAM_70818.JPG

If you get bored... go to http://www.sprint.com/coverage Zoom in on New Orleans down to where you can see the different colors for voice coverage. This is 1X coverage...keep that in mind as 1X "goes farther" than EVDO/LTE. No go to the Baton Rouge area...scroll around to all the areas. Notice anything? I will speak no more...

Very interesting. There is spotty coverage as far into town as across the lake from LSU!! (around Lee Dr?)

Also interesting, clicking the map to "Nextel" and it's almost all Blue. 800SMR will be nice when complete. I have friends that live between Denham and Walker, so it's good to know I'll have more reliable reception when I go visit.

It will help some, but you can not compare the Nextel service to CDMA in this area at all. There are many more Nextel towers around here than CDMA and they also use the 800 of course. Then you have areas like Clinton and even north and northeast of Denham that have tons of Nextel coverage. There has never been any Sprint CDMA there nor will there be with the Network Vision upgrades.

The Denham to Walker area have always been problematic areas for Sprint CDMA for me even on the interstate itself.

It will help some, but you can not compare the Nextel service to CDMA in this area at all. There are many more Nextel towers around here than CDMA and they also use the 800 of course. Then you have areas like Clinton and even north and northeast of Denham that have tons of Nextel coverage. There has never been any Sprint CDMA there nor will there be with the Network Vision upgrades.

The Denham to Walker area have always been problematic areas for Sprint CDMA for me even on the interstate itself.

Hopefully once Sprint gets their finances in order, they can expand to some of these areas.

And messing with you here.. You are slacking... I think there are two sites waiting on you to map/confirm them. ;)

I hope to have this problem soon, haven't seen any new RRU work lately around here and we still have 3 sites waiting to be fired up. Guessing they didn't pass inspections since they were the first ones here.

Which towers are you referring too? Do you know which towers should be next to get fired up here in the BR?

I don't get over to the "completed" forum too much. Can you tell me which 2 towers you're referring to? PM me.

Thanks

I don't get over to the "completed" forum too much. Can you tell me which 2 towers you're referring to? PM me.

Thanks

Anita Springs and Lacombe. And here I thought all the Sponsors lived and breathed on the NV Sites Complete map. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Anita Springs and Lacombe. And here I thought all the Sponsors lived and breathed on the NV Sites Complete map. ;)

Thanks Robert. Digiblur PM'd me and gave me the tower #'s. I told him I'll go check them but it may not be till next week or possibly next weekend. Working overtime tonight and all this weekend.

• Like 1

Guess some of them are spoiled ;) can't even get them to check the spreadsheet! (joking of course) Bookmark that sucker and let it open in Google Docs on your phone.

I'll have to resort to bribing them with a flat of boiled crawfish. Mm......thinking of Abita. http://abita.com/brews

Did someone say fried chicken? Wait what? Damn...shiny object syndrome! Sorry.

• Like 1

Which towers are you referring too? Do you know which towers should be next to get fired up here in the BR?

No one knows what is going active next. You just never know. The Port Allen site had the RRUs installed but still is not active, the Sherwood/Florida site started after it but yet it is active now. Another member on the Westbank in NOLA first posted pictures of a site in October here and as of today it is still not LTE active. We just don't know the inner workings of what is going on with the holdup on sites. It could be a million different reasons from permitting, equipment, work, broadband backhaul, etc.

These sites are listed on the Completed/In Progress map in the sponsors section plus they are listed on the NOLA tracking spreadsheet that several of us keep up to date with what is happening in the area and which sites we have checked along with the dates we checked them so we are not wasting time checking sites someone already put their eyes on.

Site I posted about in Port Allen including the Addis site in this post:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2198-network-visionlte-new-orleans-market/page__view__findpost__p__69784

Third site I posted about here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2198-network-visionlte-new-orleans-market/page__view__findpost__p__82290

I just got back from walking around (and Sensorly mapping, of course) the NFL Fan Experience in Woldenberg. Despite all of our hopes that the network would be turned on (more) for the Super Bowl, I got the same coverage as I was getting last week. I'll map my trip home up Canal on the streetcar to see if any of that has improved.

FYI, don't try driving down here. I swear I saw Lord Hummungus.

• Like 1

I just got back from walking around (and Sensorly mapping, of course) the NFL Fan Experience in Woldenberg. Despite all of our hopes that the network would be turned on (more) for the Super Bowl, I got the same coverage as I was getting last week. I'll map my trip home up Canal on the streetcar to see if any of that has improved.

FYI, don't try driving down here. I swear I saw Lord Hummungus.

Yeah doesn't look like our hopes of having a bunch of LTE sites lit up for the Superbowl is going to happen.

I didn't expect a festivus of LTE acceptance in NOLA due to the superbowl. Just a weighted decision due to it where possible. No matter how fast you can get everything completed at a site you still have to wait on broadband for the site. Wonder who the north shore vendor is as they are doing a good job at getting backhaul going. Even in the crazy permitting cities of Mandeville and Covington.

I didn't expect a festivus of LTE acceptance in NOLA due to the superbowl. Just a weighted decision due to it where possible. No matter how fast you can get everything completed at a site you still have to wait on broadband for the site. Wonder who the north shore vendor is as they are doing a good job at getting backhaul going. Even in the crazy permitting cities of Mandeville and Covington.

Cox is vendor in new orleans correct ?

Cox is vendor in new orleans correct ?

Could be. Could be others.. I saw a brand new box in the ground today downtown with the CenturyLink logo on it. Never saw them around here.

Could be. Could be others.. I saw a brand new box in the ground today downtown with the CenturyLink logo on it. Never saw them around here.

I have completed a bunch of cut-overs in the past for CenturyLink from Lafayette to New Orleans East. So they definitely could be a possibility for some sites.

Absolutely hated that company when I had them. Stone age equipment, stupid policies, drug their feet on getting things fixed when it broke, and charged you twice as much as the normal rate.

Hope they changed their ways since then...

Absolutely hated that company when I had them. Stone age equipment, stupid policies, drug their feet on getting things fixed when it broke, and charged you twice as much as the normal rate.

Hope they changed their ways since then...

Well, I cant comment on what they were like once you had them, as I was called in as a contractor just for the cuts. It was always new equipment sent to site. I never had any problems working with them and they always paid fast. However, I was on a different side of things compared to the customers perspective.

Well, I cant comment on what they were like once you had them, as I was called in as a contractor just for the cuts. It was always new equipment sent to site. I never had any problems working with them and they always paid fast. However, I was on a different side of things compared to the customers perspective.

What type of work do you do? You can PM me if you want.

Yeah, it has been like 15 years since I had them ;)