No SVDO nor SVLTE!!

el_oh_el88

So it turns out that (according to the verge) the cdma versions of i5 will not be able to use data and voice at the same time, regardless of 3g or 4g. One user on the apple forum explained why this may be the case; in order to save on space and battery consumption, apple (foolishly) opted for a single radio for the modem. So although the 9615 seems to support every modern relevant protocol we would use, It appears that only one mode can be active at a time.

Quite simply, that is trash in my opinion...we should be moving forward, not backward.

This is what happens when you have a limited number of SKUs for every market in the world. You have to make compromises like this. The Galaxy S3, EVO 4g LTE, and Photon Q were all made specifically for Sprint's network and exactly the needed antenna design was put in them. With the additional LTE bands going into use for all of these networks, Apple will have to follow suit with their next phone and customize for each carrier.

Unless of course some magical technological changes happen in antenna design.

With the reasoning that this user came up with, however, At&t wouldn't be able to do simultaneous LTE and calling either, until they implement VoLTE or something similar.

Since the iPhone will likely support VoLTE at some point, the real onus should be on carriers to accelerate to VoLTE.

Most users I know on Sprint and Verizon don't really care, and even those who have LTE don't use SV-DO or SV-LTE.

Again, a case of the tech geeks being disconnected from the rest of the planet. I suspect Apple wants the industry to move to VoLTE, as it is way more in line with what they want for the future.

If this is true then what a shame. Its sad that the most profitable company in the world couldn't invest a few extra dollars per unit to give their customers a better user experience.

• Like 1

Since the iPhone will likely support VoLTE at some point, the real onus should be on carriers to accelerate to VoLTE.

Most users I know on Sprint and Verizon don't really care, and even those who have LTE don't use SV-DO or SV-LTE.

Again, a case of the tech geeks being disconnected from the rest of the planet. I suspect Apple wants the industry to move to VoLTE, as it is way more in line with what they want for the future.

Most users on sprint/verizon don't really care because its something that was never available(not until recently) based on the type of technology. At the same time someone coming from tmobile/at&t to sprint/verizon would more than likely notice it. It's important enough for att to make commercials about the fact that you could do data and voice at the same time but you couldn't on verizon. It may not cost apple anything at all but it will definitely cost the carrier.

• Like 4

If Apple is willing to make all their accessories vendors retool their manufacturing then don't be surprised if they do something to the detriment of their carriers.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

I personally changed from a Galaxy Nexus to an S3 because of this and the obvious better battery life. There were just too many times I needed to use both voice and data but was unable to. I believe another reason Apple may have done this was for battery performance.

I personally changed from a Galaxy Nexus to an S3 because of this and the obvious better battery life. There were just too many times I needed to use both voice and data but was unable to. I believe another reason Apple may have done this was for battery performance.

I do agree it is rare I use it since I don't talk on the phone much but it has been nice to use a couple times I needed it.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I guess I won't get an iPhone 5 then. What a horrible and stupid thing for them to do. I was really looking forward to using iOS again. :cry:

:o WAIT WHAT? I can't believe what I just read!!!!!!!! :o

• Like 2

It has also been learned and confirmed by Sprint, that iPhone 5's hdvoice is incompatible with Sprint's hdvoice because iPhone 5 uses wcdma for it's hdvoice in which Sprint uses cdma 1x advanced. So no hdvoice in the U.S.A. For iPhone 5.

I guess I won't get an iPhone 5 then. What a horrible and stupid thing for them to do. I was really looking forward to using iOS again. :cry:

Is Josh getting a divorce?

;)

AJ

Is Josh getting a divorce?

;)

AJ

Josh is just really angry at Apple for their stupidity at making it impossible for the CDMA iPhone 5 to have SVDO or SVLTE! Their is no rhyme or reason for this crap. Now back to pursuing my Photon Q or Galaxy S 3 I guess. :(

Josh is just really angry at Apple for their stupidity at making it impossible for the CDMA iPhone 5 to have SVDO or SVLTE! Their is no rhyme or reason for this crap. Now back to pursuing my Photon Q or Galaxy S 3 I guess.

Galaxy S3!!!!!

Come to the dark side... Break free from the light. Don't look at the light!

Galaxy S3!!!!!

Come to the dark side... Break free from the light. Don't look at the light!

No, Apple is the dark side when it comes to phones. So you think the GS3 is better than the Photon Q? Of course, I think so too.

Was poring over FCC docs today in preparation for an OET article like what AJ has done for the Eclipse, S3, etc., similar to what I'm sure The Verge did.

In the few thousand pages of material that Apple submitted, SVDO and SVLTE are not mentioned. What is mentioned is that only one technology, on one antenna, will be transmitting at any given time. The charts that go along with this note are confusing at best (they look like information overload until you realize that the data therein is largely redundant) but seem to indicate that you can use, at best, one cellular tech and one WiFi band at once. So if you're on a CDMA + LTE network you can't do SV-anything without a VoIP app, and on a WCDMA + LTE network you're limited to WCDMA if you want data with your non-VoIP voice.

Why have I not mentioned VoLTE yet? Because it's explicitly not supported.

On the plus side, FaceTime over cellular! Yay! Wait...do I hear crickets? Hmm...okay.

Was poring over FCC docs today in preparation for an OET article like what AJ has done for the Eclipse, S3, etc., similar to what I'm sure The Verge did.

In the few thousand pages of material that Apple submitted, SVDO and SVLTE are not mentioned. What is mentioned is that only one technology, on one antenna, will be transmitting at any given time. The charts that go along with this note are confusing at best (they look like information overload until you realize that the data therein is largely redundant) but seem to indicate that you can use, at best, one cellular tech and one WiFi band at once. So if you're on a CDMA + LTE network you can't do SV-anything without a VoIP app, and on a WCDMA + LTE network you're limited to WCDMA if you want data with your non-VoIP voice.

Why have I not mentioned VoLTE yet? Because it's explicitly not supported.

On the plus side, FaceTime over cellular! Yay! Wait...do I hear crickets? Hmm...okay.

Yep, you hear crickets, or people loading guns to shoot Apple for this devious act.

• Like 2

Josh is just really angry at Apple for their stupidity at making it impossible for the CDMA iPhone 5 to have SVDO or SVLTE!

"George is getting upset!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyaxm26YBI

AJ

• Like 2

Face time over cellular technically worked on previous phones too.

Yeah, when cellular data service is decent it works great. My friend and his brother have Jailbroken iDevices and they like the whole Facetime thing.

Yes I know, I was just being sarcastic.

Yes, I know you were, but unfortunately it's more true than it is false.

Clearly, most don't care though.

Generationally, people my age and younger don't even use the phone to talk much. HD Voice could change that, and I think my disappointment is in not having clear standards for the industry that help accelerate this process.

The more I read about VoLTE, the more I realize it's a mess.

• Like 1